Author Topic: [Ordered] Laser cut titanium 60% plates  (Read 51153 times)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: [Ordered] Laser cut titanium 60% plates
« Reply #150 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 21:16:36 »
I'm still trying to come up with some lemonade for jdcarpe...can anyone think of anything cool to do with it? Is it salvageable? If someone comes up with a cool idea for it, I'll certainly consider buying it.

wall decor?

Offline cultofjosh

« Reply #151 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 21:28:21 »
I'm still trying to come up with some lemonade for jdcarpe...can anyone think of anything cool to do with it? Is it salvageable? If someone comes up with a cool idea for it, I'll certainly consider buying it.

wall decor?

I was going to suggest a jdcarpe stencil set, but I haven't conversed with him yet and didn't want him to take it the wrong way or be offended. Wait, he can't read this right?

<tries, hopefully with some success, to lighten the mood here a bit />

Offline JayKthnx

« Reply #152 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 22:32:05 »
but that titanium lube station guys!

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #153 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 23:13:29 »
so jdcarpe and i talked today and he's graciously decided to step in to help me make things right. the beast is quite busy and not entirely happy about how this is going and frankly i don't really blame him. however, round 2 can happen, and will happen. since the beast is busy, we will be getting round 2 waterjet cut. because of the size of the jet, we'll have to revise the plate designs so that they don't have the switch opening tabs. however, i don't think that's a huge deal. first of all, the switch opening tabs aren't going to work with all mx-compatible switches. secondly, if you really want to open your switches constantly, just pcb mount them dudes.

anyway, hoad your horses. more information to come. between my earlier post and this post i kind of smashed my car into someone else's in a very unfortunate set of circumstances and that might delay things a bit, but we will be running more material. my goal was always to make this a readily available material for the community, and a few miscuts don't change that goal. neither does a kind of smashed car. life is too short to worry about a little bit of metal dudes! make stuff!

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #154 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 23:30:41 »
I'll be having someone ship the plates to me shortly. I'll inspect them and proceed once things are fully known.
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline geniekid

« Reply #155 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 00:12:47 »
Very happy to read the last two posts :D

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #156 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 02:13:20 »
At first, my main concern was that the laser wouldn't cut. The secondary concern after cutting was that the plate could be bumped during cutting. My cutter thought 3-5" each side to secure the plate would be enough, but being that it's his first time, he didn't really know. How could he have, he was doing me a favor, going out of his comfort zone and cut a smaller than normal sheet (he typically does 4' x 8' sheets of stainless steel) of something he'd never cut before. He did me a huge favor by even letting this metal into the shop. For all he knew, it could have downed his new laser cutter, and I hope he gained some knowledge out of this. However, it's put a real sour taste in my mouth about how everything has gone down.

JD, it sucks that you're plate was messed up. However mkawas water jet may face similar problems, it's only his second time cutting Ti.

Edit: If I really wanted to make money on this whole ti business, I would have just made switch tools. They would have been easier to cut, if there was an error, I doubt it would have mattered too much. But I instead wanted to do something cool, make plates, for little if any monetary compensation, and for that, I guess I'm sorry. Lesson learned, don't make cool/innovative/or risky stuff anymore, just cover yourself.....
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 April 2014, 02:37:21 by The_Beast »

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline JayKthnx

« Reply #157 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 03:08:10 »
Words were said and hearts were broken, but I think everyone can learn from this and grow as a result. Alternative methods can be pursued for cutting more specific and unique designs, but I think that the more or less generic plates came out very well with this process and would love to acquire one myself, even if I have to wait quite some time to. A lot of fantastic work has been accomplished for this project by many people, mainly being mkawa, jdcarpe and the_beast, and I feel safe to say this work was done more for the community as a whole versus any personal gain by any of the three of you. Just try not to forget that.

Offline cultofjosh

« Reply #158 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 03:33:06 »
Glad to hear everything was worked out!

Lube station - I like that idea :) Would that actually work or are the switch holes too big with the switch top removal ability? Sorry if the answer to that is painfully obvious, but I haven't actually acquired any plates yet, though some should arrive relatively soon. I'm getting closer and closer to having everything I need for my first 2 keyboard builds :)

Offline fart_toast

« Reply #159 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 04:14:57 »
however, i don't think that's a huge deal. first of all, the switch opening tabs aren't going to work with all mx-compatible switches. secondly, if you really want to open your switches constantly, just pcb mount them dudes.

Mkawa, switch opening tabs don't work for all mx switches? I thought the switch bodies/tops were identical between them :/ Just sliders and springs were different?

Offline cultofjosh

« Reply #160 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 05:14:21 »
however, i don't think that's a huge deal. first of all, the switch opening tabs aren't going to work with all mx-compatible switches. secondly, if you really want to open your switches constantly, just pcb mount them dudes.

Mkawa, switch opening tabs don't work for all mx switches? I thought the switch bodies/tops were identical between them :/ Just sliders and springs were different?

I believe you are correct about Cherry MX switches. MX-compatible might be a different story.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #161 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 06:36:51 »

Those chinese mx compatible fake clones selling now is what won't be compatible, really surprised they are being supported so highly but at the end of the day its about money one way or the other, funny though how it all seems to be about who is selling them.

Offline fart_toast

« Reply #162 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 08:53:07 »
Ah OK! Fair enough. I'd go Cheryy every time myself so it's alright !

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #163 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 10:25:58 »
Also often times MX Clears have issues on plates where you can open the switch housings without desoldering. They grip inside keycaps really well.
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #164 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 10:26:52 »
Thank you all for your hard work and for being generous with your time!
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #165 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 10:37:04 »
Also often times MX Clears have issues on plates where you can open the switch housings without desoldering.

Please explain. How does the stem type affect the switch housing exactly?
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline cultofjosh

« Reply #166 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 11:20:45 »
Also often times MX Clears have issues on plates where you can open the switch housings without desoldering.

I think he was implying the switch could be pulled apart when removing a keycap? If that is indeed the case, I think my stainless TKL plates will be enough for my switch popping needs as I'm definitely going to be using clear stems in everything I build. I really only need 1 keyboard with switch popping ability so I can experiment with ergonomically weighted springs or other switch mods before I build "the next"tm keyboard :)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #167 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 11:36:21 »

I think he was implying the switch could be pulled apart when removing a keycap? If that is indeed the case, I think my stainless TKL plates will be enough for my switch popping needs as I'm definitely going to be using clear stems in everything I build. I really only need 1 keyboard with switch popping ability so I can experiment with ergonomically weighted springs or other switch mods before I build "the next"tm keyboard :)

Oh, okay. I've used clears quite a bit, and maybe I'm just careful when removing the keycaps, but I've never had one yet that has stuck and pulled the switch apart.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #168 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 16:04:55 »
i've had damage to the contacts when i'm sloppy in opening any kind of switch. i don't think clear stems are more or less immune to this. it's really just a product of pushing your tool too far into the internals of the switch in my experience.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #169 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 16:13:38 »
i've had damage to the contacts when i'm sloppy in opening any kind of switch. i don't think clear stems are more or less immune to this. it's really just a product of pushing your tool too far into the internals of the switch in my experience.

Mkawa how do you open switches? I mean I've only opened a few hundred but I've never damaged one.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #170 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 16:51:12 »
a 1mm slotted screwdriver and a spudger usually. i pull one side up, shim it with the driver and then pop the other side off with the spudger. it's not the most careful way to do things, but it's worked reasonably well for me. when i get really sloppy though, i shove the driver too far into the switch and oops

Offline geniekid

« Reply #171 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 16:55:57 »
Lies.

59905-0

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #172 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 11:15:22 »
I've experience the entire housing coming up with MX Clears when I slide my cap puller all around the key and gently attempt to wiggle it off. GON even told me he didn't design his plates with the space required to remove housings while plate mounted because of clears. Not sure what it is that makes them hold better to keycaps than other switches, maybe the type of plastic used in the "clear" color? *shrug*
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #173 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 12:23:49 »
afaik all the stems are delrin/acetal. there are many different acetal resins, but if this is happening, it's more likely to be the shape of the stem than the material

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #174 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 12:27:29 »
I've experience the entire housing coming up with MX Clears when I slide my cap puller all around the key and gently attempt to wiggle it off. GON even told me he didn't design his plates with the space required to remove housings while plate mounted because of clears. Not sure what it is that makes them hold better to keycaps than other switches, maybe the type of plastic used in the "clear" color? *shrug*

afaik all the stems are delrin/acetal. there are many different acetal resins, but if this is happening, it's more likely to be the shape of the stem than the material

There are a few threads about the phenomenon here is one

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=45122.0

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #175 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 13:44:14 »
It's not stem material--there Clear stem was molded slightly differently, as noted in the thread Ray linked.  Not a mystery any longer.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #176 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 10:59:51 »
interesting.

anyway, here's the status of R2: i have to get a titanium sheet to my grinder to start the cutting process. we're going to give it a superficial ground finish. it sounds like it won't take too much effort to get it ground to 16ga at the same time. we're also doing some test runs of aluminum sheet at the waterjet to gauge how much tolerance is OK for our application.

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #177 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 11:51:07 »
interesting.

anyway, here's the status of R2: i have to get a titanium sheet to my grinder to start the cutting process. we're going to give it a superficial ground finish. it sounds like it won't take too much effort to get it ground to 16ga at the same time. we're also doing some test runs of aluminum sheet at the waterjet to gauge how much tolerance is OK for our application.

What's the ground finish going to do?

Is it going to change the thickness compared to round one?

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #178 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 12:24:19 »
it's going to make the surface look like this:

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #179 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 12:32:58 »
mkawa, has there been any discussion on your end regarding allowing layouts other than 60% at some point?  I'm still very interested in getting a 40% plate cut from this material.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #180 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 16:53:52 »
no we haven't gotten to that point yet. we have to run a test on the WJ and get the plate finished before anything can proceed

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #181 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 16:39:26 »
Pictures of the plates are up. By having plates in hand, I was fully able to assess the situation. From the first pictures it looked like some of the plates were cut with the incorrect layout. This proved not to be the fact. There are 2 "danielucf plate".

Jds plate however is still messed up. I'll be working things out with the cutter and JD. His plate will more than likely be sold to cover and repair costs. So if you're in the market for a one of a kind Ti switch lube station....

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #182 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 16:43:19 »
Pictures of the plates are up. By having plates in hand, I was fully able to assess the situation. From the first pictures it looked like some of the plates were cut with the incorrect layout. This proved not to be the fact. There are 2 "danielucf plate".

Jds plate however is still messed up. I'll be working things out with the cutter and JD. His plate will more than likely be sold to cover and repair costs. So if you're in the market for a one of a kind Ti switch lube station....

Thank you for the update. I'm glad the plates came out with the correct layouts after all.

That would be one hell of a lube station…

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #183 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 18:25:45 »

#hype

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #184 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 21:00:38 »
I don't know what that is.

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #185 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 21:01:56 »

Me neither. It looks like a gigantic mop.
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline cultofjosh

« Reply #186 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 21:02:23 »

If you still have it at the end of next week, I can probably help out :) But if someone else is as nuts as me, feel free to sell it first chance you get. I wasn't supposed to be buying anything else here until I got paid, but, umm, lightsaver v2....

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #187 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 21:05:07 »

super potato?

Offline cultofjosh

« Reply #188 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 21:07:39 »

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #189 on: Wed, 09 April 2014, 11:53:02 »
Maybe some sort of polishing wheel for sheet metal?
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #190 on: Wed, 09 April 2014, 11:58:29 »
Show Image

#hype

Best joke ever. Ya'll thought you were paying for titanium plates, but you're just getting packing peanuts!

life is too short to worry about a little bit of metal dudes! make stuff!

The only thing worth worrying about in life is (heavy) metal and actual metals. mkawa is wrong :P

Waterjet is so cool. The laser cut stuff seems nice but watching waterjet cutting is mesmerizing. I think I might be interested in this round :D.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #191 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 01:48:12 »
here's a potatocam of the refractory behavior of various metals in various states of finish.

from left to right:

1) 5000 series aluminum extrusion lapped to a flat but rough finish with a surface plate going up to about 800 grit wet silicon carbide paper

2) (heat exchanger) polished 6061 aluminum, temper unknown

3) unfinished/mill finish 7075-t651 aluminum plate

4) (below) titanium b265 cp4 sheet, ground to a 32 finish.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #192 on: Sun, 13 April 2014, 17:46:12 »
I apologize if this was mentioned earlier, but will these be shipping soon?

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #193 on: Sun, 13 April 2014, 22:53:53 »

As soon as I get 6-7 sets of switch tools sanded and ready to ship so that the people in the plate buy could, if they wanted tools, get them so I don't have to ship twice. It's also another bonus for those who ordered plates.

Also, #endhype, I talked to someone in the metals department and had the switch tools media polished/tumbled. They turned out ok, it's still a dull and uneven finish on the surface, but the edges are broken and the serration from the laser is less pronounced.

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #194 on: Sun, 13 April 2014, 23:14:20 »
Ah, so that's what the white chalky bits were!
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #195 on: Mon, 14 April 2014, 07:07:45 »
:thumb:

Thanks for the update.

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #196 on: Mon, 14 April 2014, 09:28:32 »

As soon as I get 6-7 sets of switch tools sanded and ready to ship so that the people in the plate buy could, if they wanted tools, get them so I don't have to ship twice. It's also another bonus for those who ordered plates.

Also, #endhype, I talked to someone in the metals department and had the switch tools media polished/tumbled. They turned out ok, it's still a dull and uneven finish on the surface, but the edges are broken and the serration from the laser is less pronounced.

Show Image

I thought those were the foam peanuts they were shipped in haha. The two things I want the most right now are a set of these Ti switch tools and a BroBot  :))

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline JayKthnx

« Reply #197 on: Mon, 14 April 2014, 11:25:38 »
I'm sure I'm one of many people impatiently chomping at the bit for a set of these tools. lol

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #198 on: Mon, 14 April 2014, 23:18:20 »
good call on the tumbling. you can always bring the surface finish back with grinding and sanding, but it's a pain to finish all the edges by hand.

Offline OverKill

« Reply #199 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 01:11:05 »
You are most likely using the wrong media for titanium in your tumbler. That or you need to go to a multi step process for finishing. The media that is in there now is for finishing. You need a more aggressive media more then likely. If you want a shinier finish then you would use the media you have now after you use the initial more aggressive media. I have no suggestions for media for titanium since I mostly deal with tumbling aluminum and some steel, mostly 1018.