Author Topic: KeyCap Making - What's the bes tway to get the complete stem on MX Stems?  (Read 2121 times)

Offline hehe13

My silicone mold and resin outcome are always getting broken the + stems, any suggestions on how I can get them whole?

Offline KeLorean

My silicone mold and resin outcome are always getting broken the + stems, any suggestions on how I can get them whole?
from my experience and from my research, the best way is using the $ynth. however, it is absolutely possible to just use the backside of a keycap. if your issue is in your mold then be sure to degauss, dab silicone into stem, pour slowly, and dont take too long before you put it under pressure. if the issue is with bubbles or uncured/sticky resin, then watch out for moisture, measure accurately, mix completely, and again dont take too long before putting under pressure. good luck and dont give up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Click it OR Ticket!

Offline KeLorean

ohh! and use mold release. imo the aerosol is a must, but sometimes deep crevices need the liquid too. i apply the stuff fairly liberally, but i've been warned that u can over apply.  still hasnt even been an issue for me

Click it OR Ticket!

Offline hehe13

Im a starter and I still dont have both of the stuff that you mentioned =/, mold release, $ynth, and degauss (pressure pot). I hope there are other ways or else this gonna get more expensive than buying keycaps.

Really appreciate your response.

Offline KeLorean

Im a starter and I still dont have both of the stuff that you mentioned =/, mold release, $ynth, and degauss (pressure pot). I hope there are other ways or else this gonna get more expensive than buying keycaps.

Really appreciate your response.
i can tell u the way most of us are doing it with great results. now, u can try other techniques and im sure some people can get some good results from that. i saw a video online of a guy who removed bubbles from resin with his freaking finger (wearing gloves of coarse but still sketchy in my opinion bc what if there is a pin hole in ur gloves.) so there are surely other ways but i bet it will be a much longer frustrating road to travel to figure it out

Click it OR Ticket!