Author Topic: Let's Split Build Log - XDA keycaps, Holy Greilh Black switches, Д9К diodes  (Read 4523 times)

Offline _haru

• Formerly linuxfanatic
  • Back from the dead
Here is the thread for my Let's Split build log.

Parts:

Purchased:

-70x Kailh Pro Burgundy Switches
-Custom clear PETG case from Ponoko
-2x 2.75u XDA spacebars
-XDA Planck keycap set
-15x 15mm M2 Spacers
-20x 5mm M2 Screws
-Coiled PS2 cable from USB-converted keyboard
-10x mini-USB plugs
-2x mini USB breakout board
-Double-sided tape
-Costar stabilisers
-2x Let's Split PCBs
-2x Arduino Pro Micro
-50x Greetech Black
-1000x D9K (Д9К) Germanium Diodes (for other keyboards too, I only need 48 for this board)
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 October 2017, 18:59:40 by linuxfanatic »
AMJ60 - 45g MX White | GH60 Rev. C - Ghost Gateron Blacks | DFK101 - Alps SKCM Cream | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL - 62g Vintage MX Ergo Clear

Offline _haru

• Formerly linuxfanatic
  • Back from the dead
Re: Let's Split Build Log - XDA keycaps, Kailh Burgundy switches, Д9К diodes
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 26 September 2017, 18:52:14 »
PCBs ordered!
AMJ60 - 45g MX White | GH60 Rev. C - Ghost Gateron Blacks | DFK101 - Alps SKCM Cream | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL - 62g Vintage MX Ergo Clear

Offline _haru

• Formerly linuxfanatic
  • Back from the dead
So I just hit a major hurdle in my build. The Kailh Pro Burgundy switches I bought arrived today, and upon testing them out, I realised that they were extremely inconsistent, felt like crap to bottom out and were incredibly scratchy in all the wrong places.

However, I decided to put one of the Greetech Black stem and spring I was planning to use for the spacebars into a Kailh housing. Unknowingly, I had created what is in my opinion, the single best linear switch I have ever tried. It is far, far smoother than a Cherry switch, and just a touch smoother than a Gateron.

As such, I will be buying more Greetech Blacks and swapping their guts into the housing of these Pro switches. It means that the build will take longer to complete, but I don't mind, since it's going to feel much, much better in the end :)

Offline cribbit

photos pls
I typed this post on my Slanck. I also developed a stronger, cleaner, easier handwiring method.

Offline _haru

• Formerly linuxfanatic
  • Back from the dead

Offline _haru

• Formerly linuxfanatic
  • Back from the dead
I hit another small snag in this build.

The 15mm spacers I had ordered were not compatible with the 20mm screws that I had also ordered. The screw does not go through the whole spacer; it stops at about halfway.

To fix this, I also ordered 20 5mm M2 screws, which have also arrived now. These fit properly in the spacers.

On the plus side, the custom Mini USB to Mini USB cable is finished and tested to work. Also, the donor Greetech Blacks, Д9К diodes and Arduino Pro Micros are in the mail.

Offline cribbit

The 15mm spacers I had ordered were not compatible with the 20mm screws that I had also ordered. The screw does not go through the whole spacer; it stops at about halfway.

To fix this, I also ordered 20 5mm M2 screws, which have also arrived now. These fit properly in the spacers.

On the plus side, the custom Mini USB to Mini USB cable is finished and tested to work. Also, the donor Greetech Blacks, Д9К diodes and Arduino Pro Micros are in the mail.

Where the photos at
I typed this post on my Slanck. I also developed a stronger, cleaner, easier handwiring method.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline _haru

• Formerly linuxfanatic
  • Back from the dead

Where the photos at

Where the photos at
*shakes fist*

Very sorry, I'm not able to take pictures yet since the parts are spread everywhere. I'll definitely have pics when it's done though :)