Author Topic: Possible mods to a broken ASUS Strix Tactic Pro keyboard (Cherry MX Blue)  (Read 5655 times)

Offline razzlesama

• Still figuring things out.
Hi, i'm Razz, and i'm very very VERY new to the whole custom keyboard scene. So apologies in advance if i sound dumb af in the post below.

With that said, i have a new found interest in custom keyboards and want to try to get into the scene.
I've been using the Cherry MX Blue version of the ASUS Strix Tactic Pro keyboard for the better part of an year now and i've been loving it since the day i bought it. But a few days back i broke the stem of the space key raging too hard. (i know). I have to desolder the broken switch and replace it to get the keyboard running again, which is straight forward enough. But since it's been a while since i did anything DIY, i wanted to try messing with it.

Is there some way i can mod this keyboard?
IE:
One of the things i hate about this keyboard is the Orange LEDs. Can i replace it with white ones? (Or maybe RGB ones)
Or, does this keyboard have a standardized layout so i can switch the casing for a better looking one (i really don't like the tacky look)
If this is not the case, i'm perfectly fine with sawing off the M key sections (and the num pad) if it makes it compatible in any way with a standard casing...

If everything fails, i'm even down with desoldering every switch from the board to use it in another project.

What do you think i could do here?

Thanks!

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Possible mods to a broken ASUS Strix Tactic Pro keyboard (Cherry MX Blue)
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 29 September 2017, 05:34:23 »

What do you think i could do here?

Is throwing it in the trash an option you'd consider?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline razzlesama

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 29 September 2017, 05:47:53 »
I considered but Blue switches..
But can we just focus on the question here instead of useless replies. :)

Thank you

Offline Duckyreddy

• Better skadoodle, poodle.
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 29 September 2017, 06:31:42 »
If every other switch works, I don't see a reason why you can't reuse them!

You have enough switches for a new build, keep the caps if you like and even use them for a new build!  :)

Ducky One Cherry MX Silent Reds

Leopold FC660M MX Blue
Logitech G403/ Razer Naga 2014

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 29 September 2017, 07:24:37 »
Hello and welcome,

One of the things i hate about this keyboard is the Orange LEDs. Can i replace it with white ones?
Most likely but, according to the desired brightness, you might need to replace resistors too.

Or maybe RGB ones
Unlikely. RGB LEDs usually have four pins while monochromatic ones just have two. So the PCBs pads won't match.

does this keyboard have a standardized layout so i can switch the casing for a better looking one
I doubt there are third party cases for this keyboard, anyway we would need to inspect its PCB.

If this is not the case, i'm perfectly fine with sawing off the M key sections (and the num pad) if it makes it compatible in any way with a standard casing...
Again, you need measurements and PCB pictures to elaborate that. You surely know that you can saw off parts that don't contain the controller or its accessories.

If everything fails, i'm even down with desoldering every switch from the board to use it in another project.
Easiest option but venturing into modding is fun.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline razzlesama

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 29 September 2017, 09:51:02 »
Hello and welcome,

One of the things i hate about this keyboard is the Orange LEDs. Can i replace it with white ones?
Most likely but, according to the desired brightness, you might need to replace resistors too.

Or maybe RGB ones
Unlikely. RGB LEDs usually have four pins while monochromatic ones just have two. So the PCBs pads won't match.

does this keyboard have a standardized layout so i can switch the casing for a better looking one
I doubt there are third party cases for this keyboard, anyway we would need to inspect its PCB.

Again, you need measurements and PCB pictures to elaborate that. You surely know that you can saw off parts that don't contain the controller or its accessories.

Easiest option but venturing into modding is fun.

Good news! I just bought a SS Apex 100 as a backup keyboard so i'm ready to mess with this one. I took everything apart yesterday except the switches and the panel. I will post some good pictures of the PCB as soon as i get a hold of a good camera (i don't use a mobile phone).

Also, sounds like replacing the LEDs is too much work, but would still be rewarding enough. I'm thinking i want to do that as well.

Thanks so much for your replies!

Offline razzlesama

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 02 October 2017, 04:12:53 »
Update:

I have decided on the mods i'm going to do on this keyboard.

1. LED Replacement. - Because this is quite easy and all it takes is time and soldering skills. Both of which i have.
2. Key cap replacement - This is something i'm not sure about, since i don't know about different types of them and i'm still learning about key caps.
3. I'll replace the broken switches
4. Make a wooden casing with a semi transparent acrylic base for some custom under-glow lighting - Only if i feel like it at the end.

I have a quick question before i decide on PCB modifications tho.
There are 3 portions of the keyboard N E V E R use. 
1. 10 Macro keys on the left side - This section of the PCB doesn't appear to have any sort of components besides the mounting points for the switches and the LEDs for switches and logo. So i think this is removable

2. Number pad - There are a bunch of components on the PCB on the right side and a connector for the media controller, so i don't think it's possible to be removed - i may be wrong.

3. These 3 DUMB push button switches (DPBS) at the bottom - I pretty sure there's nothing else in that small protrusion

Will the keyboard be functional if i cut off the macro keys and the DPBS part?

Also, about the key caps, this is an ANSI keyboard. Can i use an off the shelf set of PBT/ABS key caps to replace the OEM ones? Here is a picture of the default ones.

Thank you for helping me out with this. I'm glad to have found a new nerdy hobby to spend my time on. ^_^

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 02 October 2017, 12:23:29 »
Most of your links don't work, probably hotlinking is forbidden on the host's server. I've opened them manually and they are kinda useless for the task. You need to take some high resolution pictures.

Anyway, it's a plate mounted keyboard so, to inspect the front of the PCB (and we need to see that too), you need to desolder every switch.
You can likely remove the macro section, unless there are vital components on the front side.
The numpad section has a header but you can't tell what it is for without a front side picture.
You can replace keycaps but you'll lose legends backlighting unless you replace them with the same kind of keycaps. That's personal taste and choise.
You can remove the three buttons on the bottom for good. Removing a switch won't compromise the PCB in anyway. Removing parts of the PCB itself could.

In any case, wear a breathe mask when cutting the PCB. You don't wanna breathe fiberglass in.

Offline razzlesama

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 03 October 2017, 01:02:35 »
Most of your links don't work, probably hotlinking is forbidden on the host's server. I've opened them manually and they are kinda useless for the task. You need to take some high resolution pictures.

Anyway, it's a plate mounted keyboard so, to inspect the front of the PCB (and we need to see that too), you need to desolder every switch.
You can likely remove the macro section, unless there are vital components on the front side.
The numpad section has a header but you can't tell what it is for without a front side picture.
You can replace keycaps but you'll lose legends backlighting unless you replace them with the same kind of keycaps. That's personal taste and choice.
You can remove the three buttons on the bottom for good. Removing a switch won't compromise the PCB in anyway. Removing parts of the PCB itself could.

In any case, wear a breathe mask when cutting the PCB. You don't wanna breathe fiberglass in.

I'm planning to desolder the switches to paint the plate over the weekend. I'll get you some good pictures then. Would you be able to say if removing parts of the board will break anything with the solder mask still on it?

Also, by type of key caps, you mean double shot ABS with transparent lettering right?

PS: I'm sorry about the pictures. I'm posting this at work and all image hosting sites are blocked here. I thought that was why it didn't load for me when i posted them before. I'll fix it when i get home. :)

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 03 October 2017, 04:57:26 »
Would you be able to say if removing parts of the board will break anything with the solder mask still on it?
Most of the times; at worse, you can use a multimeter to tell what's traced where.

Also, by type of key caps, you mean double shot ABS with transparent lettering right?
Yes but I think (not actually sure) they are also made of POM, in case you prefer that kind of plastic.