Author Topic: Kaypro II Keyboard Restoration  (Read 4996 times)

Offline OldIsNew

Kaypro II Keyboard Restoration
« on: Fri, 13 October 2017, 23:22:15 »
I recently obtained a Kaypro II keyboard - I just really like the look of these old boards.

180174-0

I have a Kaypro 4 board with SMK J-M0404 switches - I was hoping this one might have Key Tronic foam and foil and it did.

180176-1            180178-2          180180-3       

The foam and foil were in even worse shape than usual - much of the foam had literally turned to dust:

180182-4     

The board came with a bonus spider egg sac:

180184-5 

I'm getting faster at replacing the foam and foil so it's not too bad to do now, then traced out the matrix and wired up the xwhatsit:

180186-6                  180188-7

Retrobrighted the blue keys then reassembled the case and it's up and running.

180190-8          180192-9

I'm learning to do with out Alt, F keys, nav clusters and all that newfangled stuff!

Offline wolf

• Ah, yeah, g'day.
Re: Kaypro II Keyboard Restoration
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 14 October 2017, 20:16:12 »
Bloody awesome!  I love seeing these projects where old classic boards are restored to function with modern computers.  I saw "Kaypro II" in the thread title and thought "Far out!"  :thumb:

Great job.  Don't worry too much about the newfangled stuff  :))
Have keyboard, will travel...

Offline Tactile

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 14 October 2017, 23:19:24 »
It's shocking to learn the switches aren't some kind of mechanical 'cause I remember those keyboards ringing like the bells of St Mary as you typed on them.
REΛLFORCE

Offline OldIsNew

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 15 October 2017, 10:30:11 »
Bloody awesome!  I love seeing these projects where old classic boards are restored to function with modern computers.

Thanks! I do love the old boards - they seem to have some character to them.

It's shocking to learn the switches aren't some kind of mechanical 'cause I remember those keyboards ringing like the bells of St Mary as you typed on them.

I guess it depends if you consider capacitive switches mechanical - which raises the question, are Model Fs mechanical?  And yes,  the board does have something of a ring to it. The metal case tends to reverberate a bit - its kind of nice I think.

180244-0