Author Topic: Cherry MX tactile Greys, anyone?  (Read 7057 times)

Offline Rainman

Cherry MX tactile Greys, anyone?
« on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 15:03:45 »
Hi all,
I'm playing with a thought to exchange my mx clears with tactile grays. I sometimes bottom out on clears and have a general feeling that I might go with heavier switch but I'm kinda reluctant whether I should really take the risk and splash $ for new switch only to find out that they are too heavy and would tire out on prolonged typing. I know they actuate at 80g but are there really that much heavier compared the clears in a "real life typing scenario"?
Besides, is there any reason there aren't more mx tactile grey keyboards being sold? RSI anyone? Hope I get more input from you guys that use (or have been using) mx tactile greys as a daily driver.

Cheers
Rocking Poker 2 with vintage MX Blacks

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
Re: Cherry MX tactile Greys, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 15:06:50 »
It's not a very common switch to have a whole board 'full of them, I think there's 1 or 2 boards that have them elsewhere besides the spacebar?

but my GH60 has lubed/stickered Tactile Greys and I really love it. It's heavier than clears by a bit, but I am heavy handed. If it weren't lubed I don't think I could really do it, but to me it's smooth enough to make up for how heavy it is; I think it's the only MX switch I don't regularly bottom out on. I don't think I would recommend stock tactile greys, only lubed.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 15:24:00 »
I've got a full size coolermaster XT with tactile grays. To me they ping by default, or maybe have a springier sound.

To me they are almost too heavy, I used to think I liked heavy switches but anymore I lean towards lighter switches.

Also I thought tactile grays would be more tactile but to me they felt less tactile which I guess makes sense since they are heavier.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 20:00:14 »
I've got a full size coolermaster XT with tactile grays. To me they ping by default, or maybe have a springier sound.

To me they are almost too heavy, I used to think I liked heavy switches but anymore I lean towards lighter switches.

Also I thought tactile grays would be more tactile but to me they felt less tactile which I guess makes sense since they are heavier.

Yeah, they feel less tactile to me as well, and are indeed quite heavy.
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 20:05:50 »
I sometimes wonder about these stiffer switches.  I bottom out most of the time on clears, which have a final force of something like 95g (according to DT).  Greys have about 80g, so I have a feeling I might bottom out all the time.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 20:09:29 »
I sometimes wonder about these stiffer switches.  I bottom out most of the time on clears, which have a final force of something like 95g (according to DT).  Greys have about 80g, so I have a feeling I might bottom out all the time.

Other than being heavier, they felt a lot like clears. I have found that it is really worth having a 60% with a plate that allows for switches to be opened without desoldering just for experimenting with things like this. Instead of buying a board with Greys, you could pretty much just swap springs in clears for something heavier 110g/120g!? and go from there. Way cheaper way to experiment.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 20:11:43 »

The grays are definitely heavier and more fatiguing compared to clears.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 20:13:56 »

Oh yeah, i like heavy switches, still, but these just weren't.....great to me. I generally use Buckling Springs as my ideal switch weight. For Cherry switches, I pretty much only have Greens, Clears, Zealio 67s on boards I actually use. Greys just seemed too heavy to me even, and didn't really feel like a "refined" switch, as I felt like they were slightly uneven in feel and sound, similar to how Whites usually are.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 20:16:29 »

Oh yeah, i like heavy switches, still, but these just weren't.....great to me. I generally use Buckling Springs as my ideal switch weight. For Cherry switches, I pretty much only have Greens, Clears, Zealio 67s on boards I actually use. Greys just seemed too heavy to me even, and didn't really feel like a "refined" switch, as I felt like they were slightly uneven in feel and sound, similar to how Whites usually are.
Did you think grays has a very springy sound? It's kind of like when you get on an old mattress and it creeks.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 20:16:58 »

Greens feel way lighter than clears to me.

And I do bottom out most of the time on clears, which makes me wonder what a full keyboard of grays would feel like.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 20:22:29 »

And I do bottom out most of the time on clears, which makes me wonder what a full keyboard of grays would feel like.

Greens seem to "buckle" after the actuation/bump, where the Clears actuation curve don't just fall off making them feel heavier and harder to bottom out on. Greys were a lot like the clears in that regard, but the bump was less noticeable when typing at speed.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 20:26:47 »

Greens seem to "buckle" after the actuation/bump, where the Clears actuation curve don't just fall off making them feel heavier and harder to bottom out on. Greys were a lot like the clears in that regard, but the bump was less noticeable when typing at speed.

I don't notice the bump on clears when typing at speed.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 20:28:28 »

I don't notice the bump on clears when typing at speed.

Compared to Greys, you will haha. The heaviness makes they feel even more linear than Clears can tend to feel.

Offline Rainman

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 05 January 2016, 00:42:18 »
So after reading all of your comments I can assume that greys aren't that good of a switch for everyday use because:
1. They are very fatiguing for prolonged use
2. They tend to squeek (ping) much more because of heavier spring
3. The tactile bump is a lot less pronounced compared to clears

Hm... Maybe it's me or my curiosity that drives me to use heavier switches.. I know this might sound stupid but I always felt heavier switch tend to be/feel "more mechanical".

Maybe greys would be a miss, and I should look for 67g springs to swap for the stock clear spring.
Rocking Poker 2 with vintage MX Blacks

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 05 January 2016, 03:47:04 »
1. Man up and do some pushups on your fingertips.

2. Enjoy the oneness with ping.

3. Who needs a tactile bump when you're going to bottom out as much as possible?

Offline 82d28a

Cherry MX tactile Greys, anyone?
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 05 January 2016, 22:33:06 »
go for it, i love my tactile greys over clears any day.  my fingers do not fatigue. i am on the keyboard all day.  mine do not squeek.  i bottom out and no sounds other then the solid clack of the keycap.  The tactile feels just like clears, but more intentional and solid/strong.
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 January 2016, 22:38:42 by 82d28a »

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 05 January 2016, 22:37:22 »
So after reading all of your comments I can assume that greys aren't that good of a switch for everyday use because:
1. They are very fatiguing for prolonged use
2. They tend to squeek (ping) much more because of heavier spring
3. The tactile bump is a lot less pronounced compared to clears

Hm... Maybe it's me or my curiosity that drives me to use heavier switches.. I know this might sound stupid but I always felt heavier switch tend to be/feel "more mechanical".

Maybe greys would be a miss, and I should look for 67g springs to swap for the stock clear spring.

I will say this. After years of trying keyboards, and trying to describe them or learn about them via text, the translation is never fully accurate. You really gotta just try it out yourself and see what you like. When trying out Greys you may think "oh, i see what they were talking about with that comment" but actually like them, or vice versa.

Offline falkentyne

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 06 January 2016, 01:48:20 »
Yeah I agree.
With all the hate running around about MX blues being bad for gaming and MX greens being even WORSE for gaming, until I got my ducky shine 5 nature white, and my YOTG (Browns), I used my Shine fire 69 edition 24/7 for GAMING with *MX GREENS* and absolutely loved it.

If there was a RGB MX green switch that actually existed, there would be no need for any other switch.
I'd much rather buy a Shine 5 with MX greens than blues :(:(