Author Topic: Layout switching in Keyboard  (Read 1655 times)

Offline Icarium

• I AM A MONKEY!
Layout switching in Keyboard
« on: Thu, 19 January 2012, 02:23:07 »
Has anybody tried something like that? I suppose somebody must have with all those programmable keyboard out there. Wouldn't that fix all issues with games using the codes instead of the mappings and such?
I had a sig once but it's gone. It used to display an icon of a Kinesis. Just imagine that.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 19 January 2012, 14:54:06 »
You can do this with hotkeys inside windows7, no need for a Programmable keyboard, although it would be nice.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 19 January 2012, 19:49:54 »
Quote from: WhiteFireDragon;494259
You can do this with hotkeys inside windows7, no need for a Programmable keyboard, although it would be nice.
Yeah, but it's more elegant to do it on the keyboard, so you can use it on others' computers.

@ The OP: I plan to do this on my phantom, and I believe it's also possible with the Access-is keyboard software.

Offline Icarium

• I AM A MONKEY!
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 20 January 2012, 03:44:02 »
I want some of those damn access-ises anyway. :/
I had a sig once but it's gone. It used to display an icon of a Kinesis. Just imagine that.

Offline boli

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 22 January 2012, 03:14:38 »
With the remapping feature in the Kinesis Advantage keyboards you can't do it 100% for Colemak. You can move the main keys and their shifted variant, but the Option/Alt layers might be different.

With the Advantage's firmware remapping you not only move the lower case character itself, but all of its key's layers too: the Shift layer of course, and also the Option/Alt layer etc. With Colemak those layers are often different than with QWERTY.

Here's a comparison between the Apple Colemak and the original Colemak. The Apple Colemak did move all QWERTY keys into Colemak positions including the Option/Alt layer, and for this reason it's different than the original Colemak. The same thing would happen if one used the firmware remapping feature instead.

Apple Colemak:

Original Colemak:

So, firmware remapping to Colemak with a Kinesis Advantage can work if you don't use the Option/Alt layer much. I do use it for the occasional character with umlaut, like äöü.
« Last Edit: Sun, 22 January 2012, 03:25:14 by boli »
Keyboard: Kinesis Ergo Advantage (two LF editions with red Cherry switches, one regular with brown switches)
Keyboard layout: basically Colemak, with some remapping to end up with my custom Kinesis Advantage layout
Typing test profiles: typeracer.com / hi-games.net / keybr.com