Author Topic: Dye-sub keycap  (Read 4997 times)

Offline ju6ju8Oo

Dye-sub keycap
« on: Fri, 06 December 2019, 23:47:49 »
I'm going to dye-sub some keycaps.
Do I need to apply a sublimation coating on the keycap, before applying the printed dye sub paper onto it?

Offline yui

Re: Dye-sub keycap
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 07 December 2019, 02:13:44 »
Is i remember correctly dye sub and tinting keycaps work the same way. by diffusing the pigment into the plastic, so my guess would be to not put anything on the caps for the sub that is not the pigment.

Although i only ever tinted and so far i have only one keycap that turned out the color i wanted (black) and it was a free pbt from a tester i had gotten, everything else i tried turned out dark brown or dark blue (all in the same bath and all pbt, just not the same keycap model) so what do i know really.

what i am curious about is how did you get your hands on dye sub materials i would be very interested to try it out as well but never managed to find anything (maybe not searched the right way) all i find is 1000+ euros
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline ju6ju8Oo

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 07 December 2019, 08:06:35 »
For the dark brown issue, is it related to the temp or the timing?

I'm not gonna spend 1000+ euros. :p

To keep the cost low, I'm thinking to order dye-sub printed paper from some printing companies. (probably several usd/euros per sheet)
Some previous posts mentioned thermal conductive silicone pad, which can be good for the curved surface of keycaps.
And, I might use a heating element from aliexpress, or just a home iron.

The confusing part is, whether I use  heating element -> silicone pad ->  dye-sub paper with proper ink -> keycap , but without a special dye-sub coating.

Some say that a dye-sub coating is required. But, maybe the coating is required for smooth surface, like ceramic cups?

Offline ju6ju8Oo

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 07 December 2019, 08:09:38 »
I should stop searching for 'sublimation coating'. And I should just test or find out if PBT is sublimatable. haha

Offline ju6ju8Oo

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 07 December 2019, 08:29:33 »
If a huge pressure is not required, maybe a big soldering tip might work?

Guess I should just 'invest' in a proper mini heat press machine.
« Last Edit: Sat, 07 December 2019, 09:15:14 by ju6ju8Oo »

Offline Nixon

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 08 December 2019, 14:54:54 »
You could DIY a mini heat press like this https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/6egoot/idea23_how_to_dye_sub_your_own_caps/

I've played around with it a bit myself using one of the Ricoh dye sub printers my local hackspace had. If I ever felt like getting back into it, I'd grab an  EPSON WF-2630WF from these guys that has been jerryrigged into a dye sub printer. https://www.inkexpress.co.uk/product/sublimation-starter-package-epson-wf-2630wf-printer-refill-carts-4-x-100ml-ink-paper/

Offline yui

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 09 December 2019, 01:07:26 »
For the dark brown issue, is it related to the temp or the timing?

i got no idea, i am using the microwave technique so i have no real idea of the temperature

I should stop searching for 'sublimation coating'. And I should just test or find out if PBT is sublimatable. haha

yes it is, all ibm M and F used pbt dye subbed and unicomp still does it

Offline ju6ju8Oo

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 10 December 2019, 02:30:16 »
Another way is to vacuum it. There're 3D sublimation printers.
But, if the flat heating way works, the vacuum step might not be necessary.

There's also UV printing. https://deskthority.net/wiki/QWERkeys_classic_video_game_series
But they closed in 2015. reopen in 2016? and closed again?
Anyway, is UV ink very fragile? Or is it acceptable for normal usage?

Are there any printing providers or should I go with DIY?
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 December 2019, 02:32:23 by ju6ju8Oo »

Offline ju6ju8Oo

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 11 December 2019, 06:56:56 »
There was also a UV printing service from WASD. But it's now 404.  :eek:

Offline yui

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 12 December 2019, 08:35:22 »
well UV printing is just an other name for pad printing, it is just cured with UV rather than using other chemicals/heat it does not stay as long on the caps. if you do not mind go for it bit if you want durable stay away from those kind of printing and go for double shot (very hard to do at home) or dye-sub / tinting (seems feasible only need to try) or laser ablation.

Offline Nixon

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 12 December 2019, 12:52:05 »
DIY laser ablation is a pain. Can't do it with conventional hobbyist lasers as due to the wavelength of the laser, it just engraves the plastic instead of changing its colour.

Offline yui

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 13 December 2019, 01:07:38 »
i must agree that my laser is not able to do it either (not even engraving anything, just slightly melting the top layer of plastic) but my guess is that it may be easier to find a company with a laser capable of that than finding a company willing to dye sub your keycap. but yeah not the best option.

Offline ju6ju8Oo

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 14 December 2019, 09:02:43 »

i got no idea, i am using the microwave technique so i have no real idea of the temperature

what's the microwave technique?

Instead of using an iron, the keycap with dye sub paper is placed into a microwave oven?

Offline ju6ju8Oo

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 15 December 2019, 08:44:51 »
I just found those 5-faces dye sub keycaps.
Do they make it by vacuum? or a metal mold?

Offline yui

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 16 December 2019, 01:06:01 »

what's the microwave technique?

Instead of using an iron, the keycap with dye sub paper is placed into a microwave oven?
i am tinting key caps right now so they are put into a heated dye solution, i heat mine in a microwave oven, some other use the stove to heat them