Author Topic: Wacom Intuos3 pen mod... Concept stage.  (Read 2538 times)

Offline asura

• not a duck
Wacom Intuos3 pen mod... Concept stage.
« on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 10:43:48 »
I've always found the standard pen to feel chunky, and the rubber grip to feel... rubbery...  Add to this that I don't want to spend £60 on the "classic" pen which doesn't really look that good anyway and that it would leave a standard pen just floating.  So I've been making do, for a few years now, never feeling quite right.

Today, I've been writing at my PC using my tablet as a wrest, and I put my pen (a Lamy Joy) down next to my Wacom pen... and they're about the same length.

Opening up the Lamy is no problem, unscrews in a couple of seconds, the Wacom pen on the other hand is not designed to come apart easily - long story short, it's a friction fit and you must pull the two parts apart (after taking the grip and rocker off) using your big muscular hands...

The external diameter of the Lamy is greater than that of the Wacom, however the wall is thicker, so it'll need some thinning in a couple of places - I'm thinking two channels rather than thinning the entire circumference.  I'll also need to make a custom head for the tip, and some way of getting the eraser to work, not that I use it often/at all, so perhaps I'll go without... I'll probably make myself a new switch rocker as well, to match the head.

This isn't going to happen over night, I'm a very busy guy, and I'm not going to sacrifice my current pen, have to get a new one.  Expect the beginnings of something in the new year...

...now... to put the Wacom pen back together...