Author Topic: Kingsaver LED help.  (Read 2691 times)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Kingsaver LED help.
« on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 19:07:17 »
So I'm putting together ComradeSniper and my Kingsavers, but seem to have run into a snag. There's no marking on the PCB for the anode (+) or cathode (-) leg, so you can't tell which direction it goes.  When I placed the legs of a 2x3x4mm LED on the pads and actuated the Caps Lock switch, the LED wouldn't light up regardless of orientation.

So does anyone know which side is which?

Also, does the Kingsaver need to use an original Alps LED or one with similar forward voltage to light up?  If so, does anyone know the forward voltage?

Or is this PCB just working fine except for the LED?  I haven't soldered the LED yet since I haven't figured out directionality.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Kingsaver LED help.
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 06:56:58 »
Oh I didn't realize there was a thread for this. I saw a PM from nubbinator and replied with a picture. I'll just post that here in case anyone needs help later:

Quote from: CPTBadAss
Show Image

Positive is the right lead, where the handle is.

And I think that WhiteFireDragon had said that modern LEDs in the Alps switches was a PITA but possible.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 08:22:11 »
I actually need to post the solution since it's required a firmware update. 

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 17:59:17 »
Alright, as promised, here's the update to get your Kingsaver LEDs up and working.

First you'll need the hex file.  You can PM me for the hex file until someone offers to upload it and host it somewhere for download.

1.  Download and install Flip 3.4.7.

2.  Hold Esc on your Kingsaver and plug in the USB cable to enter firmware mode.

3.  Open Device Manager and locate ATm32U4DFU.

4.  Right click and select - driver software update - locate and select ...program files(x86)/atmel/flip 3.4.7/usb folder (or the file path you saved it to).

5.  Run Flip 3.4.7.

6.  Unplug Kingsaver, hold Esc, and plug it back in.

7.  Click the microchip icon in Flip and select ATmega32U4.

8.  Click the USB icon next to the microchip icon and select USB and give it the okay to load it.

9.  Click File in the top left corner and select load Hex file.

10.  Locate truecustomkeymap.hex file and open.

11.  Click the Run icon and wait for it to finish.

12.  Unplug Kingsaver, then plug it back in and enjoy.

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 18:11:43 »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 17:10:05 »
Just a pro tip guys, the GUI you use to program the board "Kingsaver.exe" from "ksMap_v09.zip" from listokei's site is a bit touchy. I think you have to drag *every* key you plan on using, not just the ones that you want to change. So if you want F8 to be at scroll lock, you can just drag F8 to scroll lock on the GUI and then flash it.

Nubbinator's directions are more thorough than Listokei's video so I recommend following that *very closely*. I messed up a few times because I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing and fat-fingering things.

Also, since the Kingsaver is WKL, if you drag left or right windows (called GUI) into the remapping area, the program knows there's an issue and won't generate a hex file.