Author Topic: [IC] Noxary XRF (Aluminum Realforce Case) - Group Buy Live!  (Read 68391 times)

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
[IC] Noxary XRF (Aluminum Realforce Case) - Group Buy Live!
« on: Mon, 18 December 2017, 16:06:11 »
After almost 2 years of development and planning, I’m happy to say that the group buy for XRF is live.

Noxary XRF Product Page

The Noxary XRF is a case replacement for the Realforce R1, a TKL keyboard designed & produced by Topre. You will be able to take the internals of your Realforce, and swap out the plastic case for the all metal enclosure. The included custom daughterboard features a USB C port, allowing you to connect your own cable. This is compatible with the 86u, 87u, 88u, and 89u, however the Winkeyless option will require full disassembly to remove two housings on the bottom row.

Group Buy details:
  • How much? $369 + shipping.
  • What colors? Blue Gray, Lightning Silver, Meteorite Gray
  • Winkeyless or Winkey? Both!
Specification:
  • Compatible with Realforce R1 Internals
  • Seamless Case Design
  • Top Mounted Plate
  • 6° Base Angle
  • 17mm Front Height
  • ~2140g Kit Weight / ~2880g Built
  • USB C Daughterboard
  • Winkeyless or Winkey
Anodizing Colors:
  • Blue Gray
  • Lightning Silver
  • Meteorite Gray
Contents:
  • 1 x Aluminum Top
  • 1 x Aluminum Bottom
  • 1 x Daughterboard PCB
  • 1 x JST to JST Cable
  • 4 x M3 Hex Screws
  • 12 x M2 Hex Screws
  • 4 x 3M Bumpons
Group Buy Information:
  • Starts October 28th
  • Closes November 30th
  • Shipping in early April
Noxary XRF Product Page
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 October 2019, 13:50:06 by xondat »

Offline hayt

• * Maker
Re: [IC] Noxary XRF (Aluminum Realforce Case)
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 18 December 2017, 16:08:11 »
I'm in.

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 18 December 2017, 16:10:17 »
Shallower pls (same angle as a RF case without its feet deployed would be nice)

Oh, and how about a replacement plate that allows the use of all 1u housings and Cherry or Costar plate mounted stabs? (preferrable Cherry, but not sure if there's enough clearance for the wire or will it rub on the 1u housing?)
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 December 2017, 16:12:24 by duynguyenle »
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline darkslay3r

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 04:43:01 »
idk what should i pick between this or TGR Zooey, hmm
Viper V2 | TGR 910 CE | TGR 910 Poly R1 | RF 55g

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 04:49:39 »
Where is the USB opening placed?
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline avid

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 04:51:30 »
Looks good! I assume no weight should affect the price by quite a bit, so no weight is my preference. Have you thought about colors yet?

Offline Wetherbee

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 06:07:02 »
I'm in for multiple. Especially interested in pvd coated polished brass plate options for the 86U and 87U with proper cutouts for the new Topre MX stabilizers featured in the Realforce RGB. 86U plate should also add support for Tsangan standard bottom row and 87U plate should add stabalizer support for GMK 6u spacebar (likely center-stem only). 91U plate with support for 10u spacebar and Cherry big ass enter (standard AT layout) would also be amazing, since moding the PCb for that is easy (or just reprogramming the 91U). Finally, a custom plate for the Realforce RGB TKL which supposedly releases in 2018, to enable the PCB to be installed in aftermarket chassis like the Norbaforce, TGR Zooey, and Noxary XRF. The RGB TKL plate is expected to have slightly different mounting points due to the case changes. You can preview those changes in the current RGB full-size model. Your custom plate would make the mounting compatible to put an RGB TKL plate in a custom case that only supports 86u/88u/87u/91u plates.

Definitely in, mostly for the 86U Tsangan support. All the plate options would finally make GMK/SP keycaps compatible with the Realforce with no PCB changes, so much less research and development needed. The plate options alone would be a major upgrade and something nobody has ever done. The new MX stabs from Topre will always be available to harvest unlike the Novatouch which is no longer in production, and Topre's MX stabs are Superior to the Novatouch anyways.

A variety of different plate finishes/colors would be cool. Bonus is that the market for the plate would include all the owners of Digilogs, Norbaforce, TGR Zooey, and the Noxary XRF so reaching MOQ should be super easy.

If you go for the full case design I'd be interested in different color anodizing options - hard to get right but would differentiate your product from the other options. USB C support should also be standard. Programmable internal QMK or similar like the Hasu controller would be incredible.
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 December 2017, 06:28:27 by amoswetherbee »

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 06:41:45 »
You forgot a plate to make it compatible with a 1996 Honda Civic, and one to enable compatibility with a Kohler kitchen sink
keyboards.

Offline Wetherbee

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 09:45:13 »
You forgot a plate to make it compatible with a 1996 Honda Civic, and one to enable compatibility with a Kohler kitchen sink

:p true. Honestly, I'd be happy with 86U Tsangan since it is the only standard layout possible on a Realforce TKL that will accept SP/GMK kits with no PCB changes. Advantage of this plate is that this is a super simple change to fix the spacebar stabs. Adding holes for the new Topre-made MX stabs from the Realforce RGB would be icing on the cake. If I could only choose one plate that would be it.
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 December 2017, 09:57:36 by amoswetherbee »

Offline mason

• have fun with her, ryan
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 09:50:39 »
I am posting to tell you that I am interested

Offline megaforce

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 10:28:32 »
Stick a bar of brass on the bottom please.
Corsair K63 Wireless | Razer Huntsman Elite
More
Hokusai | Ogre| Yohane | Mc65 | Kaze | RBB
Former: LZ MX | LZ FE | LZ CLS TKL Silver |LZ CLS TKL Gray| LZ St | V.EA | Blackbird | LSV3 | OctagonV2 | Norbatouch | X60 | TX84 | Kyuu | SSK | 268.1| Jane CE | Corsair K95 | X60R | HHKB JP x JS HiPro | 910 CE |Nunu |Nunu FE | Jane V2 CE|Jane V2| RS (TKL)

Offline Wetherbee

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 10:47:16 »
That top plate is t h i c c. Low profile keysets will likely look recessed into the case which is pretty badass and would be awesome with HiPro or SA.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 11:06:09 »
Shallower pls (same angle as a RF case without its feet deployed would be nice)

Oh, and how about a replacement plate that allows the use of all 1u housings and Cherry or Costar plate mounted stabs? (preferrable Cherry, but not sure if there's enough clearance for the wire or will it rub on the 1u housing?)

I'll measure flat and feet up on the stock case and probably go in between. 8 is my go to, as I really like it.

I'm going to be talking with Wetherbee about more than a housing replacement as he's quite knowledgeable on the topic so I'll get back to you on that. ;D

Where is the USB opening placed?

Probably center. Still figuring out what is possible. Hoping the breakout board means I could put a USB-C (maybe) connector instead of a fixed cable.

Looks good! I assume no weight should affect the price by quite a bit, so no weight is my preference. Have you thought about colors yet?

Yeah it will, the weight would probably add around $50. Quick thought on colors is just black/silver/dark gray/navy, but I'm open to anything really.

Damn it. I'll do better next time :'(

I am posting to tell you that I am interested

I am replying to tell you thanks

Stick a bar of brass on the bottom please.

So tempting.

That top plate is t h i c c. Low profile keysets will likely look recessed into the case which is pretty badass and would be awesome with HiPro or SA.

Damn, I just realized Topre sits a bit lower, guess it'll change a little.
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 February 2018, 16:55:01 by HoffmanMyster »

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 16:05:22 »
WKL w/ 86u a possibility?

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 16:42:49 »
WKL w/ 86u a possibility?

Yup. Will be doing WKL :)

Offline regionfree

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 17:03:18 »
I’m in on this!

Offline brighenne

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 18:30:18 »
Somebody sell me an 86u.

Offline le_wraith

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 20:02:59 »
The programmability and the angle (via case rather than risers) seem like decided advantages over Norbaforce, especially if you can offer the WKL variant like Norbaforce. Not to stir the pot, and acknowledging the independent value of each the value of the creators' efforts,  for those of us who want to decide which to buy, anyone else have any thoughts on pros/cons of this vs. Norbaforce?

Offline Wetherbee

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 20:04:28 »
The programmability and the angle (via case rather than risers) seem like decided advantages over Norbaforce, especially if you can offer the WKL variant like Norbaforce. Not to stir the pot, and acknowledging the independent value of each the value of the creators' efforts,  for those of us who want to decide which to buy, anyone else have any thoughts on pros/cons of this vs. Norbaforce?

Why not both? Also, this is an interest check, the Norbaforce is in Group Buy and has already met MOQ. Not really an either/or proposition yet.
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 December 2017, 20:06:47 by amoswetherbee »

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 20:10:41 »

Norbauer's project is super nice but just didn't fulfill what I wanted (nothing against him). I prefer a clean silhouette and just a simpler construction. The height was a aspect too.

His is already happening so you'll get it a lot sooner -- I don't have a lot of details worked out yet. You can have powder coated finishes on his, and it has two possible angles.

I can't really comment as there is obvious bias.

Offline Wetherbee

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 20:32:51 »

Norbauer's project is super nice but just didn't fulfill what I wanted (nothing against him). I prefer a clean silhouette and just a simpler construction. The height was a aspect too.

His is already happening so you'll get it a lot sooner -- I don't have a lot of details worked out yet. You can have powder coated finishes on his, and it has two possible angles.

I can't really comment as there is obvious bias.

I intend to invest in both projects. They both are fantastic and the investment will be well worth it. I will say that Xondat's plate option is exciting if it can be realized, and he seems to be further along with the modeling of the plate - most advanced model I've seen yet. Norbauer has also stated an interest in developing a plate at a later date. I think it is great to bring all sorts of alternatives to market - options benefit us all. Think of how many HHKB MX clones exist and they keep coming up with more - it is a popular design. There is plenty of room for alternative designs on the Realforce models as well - IMHO the Realforce 86U is the idealized keyboard and deserves many different iterations and options to suit different owners and differing use patterns.

That plate though would solve a major issue - the Norbaforce is only compatible with Topre spacebars without sub-optimal modifications to the spacebar or plate using modeling clay and glue, as detailed in PerniciousPony's post on his "84U" design which is even featured in Norbauer's advertising. A custom plate for the 86U would enable modifying the stabilizer to enable full MX Tsangan standard compatibility (i.e. MX 7u spacebar) for keysets like GMK and SA without needing a custom PCB. The great thing is that any new plate options, regardless of who develops them, should be compatible with all Realforce case designs as they all must be engineered to support the original plate dimensions. I'm hoping for a community breakthrough in eliminating the only downside to the Realforce - lack of MX spacebar support. Whoever brings the plate to market will benefit owners of the Norbaforce, Noxary XRF, TGR Zooey, the two Digilog Korean custom models, and the KBDfan Korean custom. The 87U, since it is more widely available, also deserves a plate designed for it to make the spacebar stabilizers compatible with the GMK center-stem 6u spacebar featured on the latest sets like GMK Laser. Since we are doing custom plates we can add the holes for the new Topre-made MX stabilizers for the shift, Enter, and Backspace keys. I also think changing from steel to pvd coated brass will be an upgrade in overall keyfeel and in looks. A nice plate can really compliment a build with the right materials and finishes. The stock Realforce plate is also prone to rusting as anyone in a wet climate can tell you. A coated brass or aluminum plate would not rust.

As for the case, I see pros and cons to both the Norbaforce design and the Noxary XRF design. Both are far better than the two Digilog cases and the KBDfans case, which is saying a lot because these cases were fantastic and have served many lucky owners well for many, many years. The ergonomic differences between each case will be argued at length by the community, but I look forward to trying them both with different keycap sets and making that determination for myself. Keyboards are deeply personal experiences and you won't know what you like until you try it yourself or at a Meetup, which has another advantage in that it expands and builds on our weird little community of enthusiasts. I would say though, that if you have any interest at all in either design, invest in it when it is available as it may never happen again. You can always turn around and trade/sell the case later, typically at a profit. There is a thriving aftermarket for well made cases.
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 December 2017, 10:36:19 by amoswetherbee »

Offline tchevass

• open wide
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 21:52:15 »
Im in, I need some custom stuff on my RF

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I want clacks

Offline Peiweisgreat

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 23:40:36 »
Will the wkl blockers work with the 87u or do I need to start hunting down a 86u while I have the chance?

Offline duynguyenle

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 20 December 2017, 06:27:31 »
Will the wkl blockers work with the 87u or do I need to start hunting down a 86u while I have the chance?

It will work, it will just block your left winkey and right menu key. You still get access to your spacebar and right Winkey.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 20 December 2017, 07:11:34 »
Yes, it'll work, just block the keys Duynguyenle mentioned.

Dgneo did a mockup on Norbauer's board:

Mine will be the same.

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 20 December 2017, 07:16:05 »

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 20 December 2017, 07:27:17 »
As usual, gonna pray I have the money in time. But this looks dope!  :thumb:

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 20 December 2017, 07:57:28 »
Thanks all for the support :-*

Made a few small changes:
  • Increased outer corner diameter, I think this looks just right.
  • Made a WKL model.
  • Changed bezel height from 7mm to 6.1mm (stock is 6.05mm).
  • Added a small recess for a sticker or something. True to the original board. Might keep it, might not.
Might be changing the angle. Stock is 6 degrees without feet up, and 9 degrees with them up. Currently at 8, so might go 7.5 for the middle ground, or just stay true and go 6. Not sure, thoughts?

Probably will be changing the mounting from standard to top mounted too. Won't make much of a difference in the end result apart from being less complex.

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 20 December 2017, 08:01:22 »
Thanks all for the support :-*

Show Image

Show Image

Made a few small changes:
  • Increased outer corner diameter, I think this looks just right.
  • Made a WKL model.
  • Changed bezel height from 7mm to 6.1mm (stock is 6.05mm).
  • Added a small recess for a sticker or something. True to the original board. Might keep it, might not.
Might be changing the angle. Stock is 6 degrees without feet up, and 9 degrees with them up. Currently at 8, so might go 7.5 for the middle ground, or just stay true and go 6. Not sure, thoughts?

Probably will be changing the mounting from standard to top mounted too. Won't make much of a difference in the end result apart from being less complex.

In my opinion the stock RF angle is perfect (6 degrees). Would love to see what it looks like.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 20 December 2017, 08:43:09 »
I assume this could pair with other TKL PCBs such as the Filco Majestouch. Am I right?

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 20 December 2017, 08:48:50 »
I assume this could pair with other TKL PCBs such as the Filco Majestouch. Am I right?

If you can use the stock RF case with what you want, then yes.

Also 6 degrees pictures:

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 20 December 2017, 08:58:58 »

If I had one. Anyone can confirm this for me? Much obliged.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 20 December 2017, 09:50:06 »
XRF badge would look pretty cool in that top left spot.  The forehead is just too large on this guy to leave it blank. 

Offline Wetherbee

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 20 December 2017, 10:31:48 »
I always found the sticker recess on the Realforce to be ugly. In general I prefer cases with no badging or branding. It suits the minimalist aesthetic and won't clash with whatever font or color scheme you choose for your keyset. The shape of the case itself should be the "brand." It should be clear by looking that this is a Noxary XRF versus the other designs. The enormous stylized TGR logo also triggers me on some of their cases. Soo gaudy. RAMA made a great design decision when he updated the M6 to the M6-A by removing his logo from the front. Etc.
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 December 2017, 10:46:20 by amoswetherbee »

Offline afrokobe

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 20 December 2017, 12:37:58 »
was planning to buy norbauer, but this throws a wrench into my plans.  Probably gonna hang around and see what happens with this.  Much prefer the aesthetics of slant over the risers

Offline Wetherbee

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 20 December 2017, 13:28:58 »
I think both are great, inspired designs. There is a risk with two piece aluminum boards that the top piece anode might not come out matching the shade of the bottom piece, especially with custom colors, but if the process and quality control are good then go for it. I think both Norbauer and RAMA have run into this problem when doing colored anodes. Other than that concern, the shape language and ergonomics are great and happy to see the top mount. Would love to see this become a reality. Can't wait to hear what it sounds like with a brass plate with 3x the density of aluminum absorbing the downstroke.

Offline nurupism

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 20 December 2017, 21:41:15 »
Count me in if you will be doing 6 degrees, always a fan of the stock Realforce angle.

Offline duynguyenle

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 05:51:37 »

Does not work. Spacing is different. Stick to the existing Filco cases on the market

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 06:03:52 »
More

Does not work. Spacing is different. Stick to the existing Filco cases on the market
Alright, thanks.

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #39 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 08:22:12 »
was planning to buy norbauer, but this throws a wrench into my plans.  Probably gonna hang around and see what happens with this.  Much prefer the aesthetics of slant over the risers

same boat

although i usually have the feet up on my RF so if this is 6deg then i dunno

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 10:21:55 »

same boat

although i usually have the feet up on my RF so if this is 6deg then i dunno

Yes, I hope we go with something closer to the profile with the feet up.  With the feet down on the RF, the space bar is uncomfortable, and I refuse to flip it.  With the feet up it's perfect.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 16:03:00 »
The terminology is confusing me :'( Feet up meaning using the stock higher angle?

It'd be helpful if everyone noted whether they use the flat or raised angle with the stock case :thumb:

I'll tally everything up and figure which I'll go with. There is always the possibility of offering 2 bottom pieces with alternating angles.

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 16:49:24 »
The terminology is confusing me :'( Feet up meaning using the stock higher angle?

It'd be helpful if everyone noted whether they use the flat or raised angle with the stock case :thumb:

I'll tally everything up and figure which I'll go with. There is always the possibility of offering 2 bottom pieces with alternating angles.

Flat all day

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 17:31:01 »
Oh damn, yes that was confusing of me.  I meant to say I prefer a steeper angle to help the space bar to feel better.  When you use the board flat the space bar feels like it needs to be flipped, and I don’t like to use it that way.  So my vote is for raised. 

I’ll vote if you put up a poll.

I’m sure I could prop something under it if you decide to go with flat

Offline avid

« Reply #44 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 17:32:36 »
Flat, 100%.

Offline graefeln

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 17:38:12 »
I use my Realforce flat as well.

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 18:55:12 »
i use mine flat

Offline txclack

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 19:02:27 »
Excited for this! Looking forward to the color choices.

Offline hayt

• * Maker
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 19:06:14 »
+1 for 6 degrees

I’m in the camp that really loves the current Realforce badge. Would there be any way to transplant from the original case, or source a replica Realforce badge??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline duynguyenle

« Reply #49 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 19:10:26 »
I use my RF86 flat, very comfortable :)