Author Topic: Hey in here!  (Read 6018 times)

Offline kr0_-

Hey in here!
« on: Fri, 24 April 2020, 10:37:01 »
Hi, I'm totally new to this nice hobby or passion or whatever you wanna call it.

Thanks to the Corona pandemic I found some time to lurk around and finnaly I got into r/mk and felt instantly in love with keebs!
I used to game a lot and thougt as I bought my corsair **** this was a nice upgrade, bc its mechanical, but then I realised, its crap at its finest!

Now I'm soaking up all information I can find about this hobby, ordert tools and stuff to try to make me some cables at first (coilled and nice aviator ones), while waiting for a nice TKL board to join on a GB. Need to get some switch testers to see, what they all feel bc my MX Speed or whatever they are called tend to be too light to press and I've never tried a tactile before, so I'm curious!

Stay safe !

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
Re: Hey in here!
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 24 April 2020, 12:06:35 »
Welcome :)

OEM boards aren't all that bad, I'd much rather use a WASD V3 over something like an OTD Cheat 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

You'll have lots to try out though, have fun :cool:

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 24 April 2020, 15:02:33 »
Hi kr0_-. Welcome to Geekhack.

What sort of Corsair board have you got? I actually really love the old K65s and K70s. I'm not a fan of the newer stuff, personally, especially the plastic boards they're putting out.

I don't like the process of the whole GB thing, but one I have been drooling over is the SKB2, for which there will be a TKL variant:

[IC] SKB2 - steel, isolation top mount, powder coated / BEIGE VOTED!

The dolch paintjob is beautiful.

Yeah MX speed seems to be an answer without a question, one of those gamer hype switches that were thrown together to try to differentiate itself from other options and drive sales. The focus is more instantaneous actuation. I feel, and I think a lot of other people do to, that MX reds are already a bit too light/sensitive as it is and could use just a bit heavier of a spring. If anything, that high actuation point just makes it even easier to register an unintentional press.

Offline kr0_-

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 25 April 2020, 13:42:33 »

OEM boards aren't all that bad, I'd much rather use a WASD V3 over something like an OTD Cheat 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

I can't tell much about boards, because I ddidn't own any good ones :(

Yeah, cant wait to see a good one on a group buy and try my luck on soldering and modifing!!

What sort of Corsair board have you got? I actually really love the old K65s and K70s. I'm not a fan of the newer stuff, personally, especially the plastic boards they're putting out.

I don't like the process of the whole GB thing, but one I have been drooling over is the SKB2, for which there will be a TKL variant:

Yeah MX speed seems to be an answer without a question, one of those gamer hype switches that were thrown together to try to differentiate itself from other options and drive sales. The focus is more instantaneous actuation. I feel, and I think a lot of other people do to, that MX reds are already a bit too light/sensitive as it is and could use just a bit heavier of a spring. If anything, that high actuation point just makes it even easier to register an unintentional press.

Hey and thanks!
Mine is a Corsair K70 rbg rapidfire. the bottem part is plastic and the top frame part is alu I think. Its okay, but sounds terrible, put some pbt caps on it, now the sound is a tiny bit better but I guess I need to film the switches and mod the stabs to get a better feel and sound.

Why dont u like the GB thing?

Saw the skb2 and I'm watching the thread but there are others too, but quite expensive like the IRON180 by Smith + Rune , Evolv,  DDolch or Code name: MP.C so nice ones, but need to get the money for it together :/

yeah I dont like that gamimng stuff anymore, was one of thousands who felt for the marketing until I discovered r/mk -  now I'm in love and want to discover even more!

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 09:57:04 »
Yeah, cant wait to see a good one on a group buy and try my luck on soldering and modifing!!

Hey and thanks!
Mine is a Corsair K70 rbg rapidfire. the bottem part is plastic and the top frame part is alu I think. Its okay, but sounds terrible, put some pbt caps on it, now the sound is a tiny bit better but I guess I need to film the switches and mod the stabs to get a better feel and sound.

Saw the skb2 and I'm watching the thread but there are others too, but quite expensive like the IRON180 by Smith + Rune , Evolv,  DDolch or Code name: MP.C so nice ones, but need to get the money for it together :/

yeah I dont like that gamimng stuff anymore, was one of thousands who felt for the marketing until I discovered r/mk -  now I'm in love and want to discover even more!

I wouldn't worry about soldering. Keyboards could literally be the best modern/practical place to start. The pads are huge, and really spaced out compared to other soldering tasks. You'll get the hang of it with just a little patience and some diligent tutorial watching.

Ah, you're a linear guy. That explains it. I find pingy boards endearing/entertaining, regardless of switch. To each their own. I think what people usually do for sound is putting some kind of dampening material inside of it (shelf liners sometimes), and then placing it on a keyboard mat of some kind on a solid surface. I don't care about any of that myself though, so others would know better.

I don't like the idea of group buys because I want to just go buy something and have it, it also seems (to me) like the value isn't always there. That makes sense when you're talking small production numbers, no economy of scale, etc, but I don't necessarily need something so unique anyway. Amazon Prime has spoiled me.

That's another reason. I don't know that I would have any money if I watched all of those group buys so intently. lol

Hey, it is good that all of the big gaming companies at least made you aware of the rabbit hole you eventually began your descent into. I think of that market as the gateway drug. We're lucky to have it.

Offline kr0_-

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 15:28:57 »

Hey and thanks!

I wouldn't worry about soldering. Keyboards could literally be the best modern/practical place to start. The pads are huge, and really spaced out compared to other soldering tasks. You'll get the hang of it with just a little patience and some diligent tutorial watching.

Ah, you're a linear guy. That explains it. I find pingy boards endearing/entertaining, regardless of switch. To each their own. I think what people usually do for sound is putting some kind of dampening material inside of it (shelf liners sometimes), and then placing it on a keyboard mat of some kind on a solid surface. I don't care about any of that myself though, so others would know better.

I don't like the idea of group buys because I want to just go buy something and have it, it also seems (to me) like the value isn't always there. That makes sense when you're talking small production numbers, no economy of scale, etc, but I don't necessarily need something so unique anyway. Amazon Prime has spoiled me.

That's another reason. I don't know that I would have any money if I watched all of those group buys so intently. lol

Hey, it is good that all of the big gaming companies at least made you aware of the rabbit hole you eventually began your descent into. I think of that market as the gateway drug. We're lucky to have it.

I'm not worried about it, just curious, love ;earining new things.
NO I dont know how the clicky and bumpy switches feel, never tried them, that's why I ordered a switch tester. I didnt watch for what switch I got in my corsair until I bout some pbt caps and saw their stem color and googled it :/  Yeah OI got a big mousepad or so my keyboard ois on it aswell and I got some O-rings, but the switches feel akward with them. Just tried something without knowing what there is outside in the r/mk world!

Okay I see what you mean, but there are some very nice producuts, but the switch and lubing it is the main difference with a nice alu case instead of a plastic one. Need to watch all those IC's and GB's until I decide to join one or buy a solid one from the websites mentioned in this forum.

yeah .. absolutely, just by watching I feel like my poket gets empty :(

TRUE WORDS! There is always 2 points of view!

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 16:17:58 »
I'm not worried about it, just curious, love ;earining new things.
NO I dont know how the clicky and bumpy switches feel, never tried them, that's why I ordered a switch tester. I didnt watch for what switch I got in my corsair until I bout some pbt caps and saw their stem color and googled it :/  Yeah OI got a big mousepad or so my keyboard ois on it aswell and I got some O-rings, but the switches feel akward with them. Just tried something without knowing what there is outside in the r/mk world!

Okay I see what you mean, but there are some very nice producuts, but the switch and lubing it is the main difference with a nice alu case instead of a plastic one. Need to watch all those IC's and GB's until I decide to join one or buy a solid one from the websites mentioned in this forum.

yeah .. absolutely, just by watching I feel like my poket gets empty :(

TRUE WORDS! There is always 2 points of view!

Just reassuring you. I know a lot of people seem apprehensive about it. You've already got an advantage if you are not.

What sort of switches did you get in the tester? Even just Cherry MX should hopefully give you a better idea of where your tastes may lie.

I think people have had varying experiences with o-rings. I ordered some for my K70 from Newegg or something, Rosewill brand, years ago now. I hated them, though they basically made my MX reds feel like rubber domes. I'm not sure if it was the case then that there are apparently different designs of o-rings, and some people absolutely hate some and actually like others.

Absolutely. There's great stuff out there. I would love a Satisfaction 75 some day as well, if there's even another window, and I happen to notice it, and I'm then lucky enough to get into proverbial Disney Land. It just sounds like a lot of work. Good luck in your own quest in that regard.

There are quite often more than 2 points of view. I'm happy to hear them all myself.

Offline kr0_-

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 17:29:25 »
Just reassuring you. I know a lot of people seem apprehensive about it. You've already got an advantage if you are not.

What sort of switches did you get in the tester? Even just Cherry MX should hopefully give you a better idea of where your tastes may lie.

I think people have had varying experiences with o-rings. I ordered some for my K70 from Newegg or something, Rosewill brand, years ago now. I hated them, though they basically made my MX reds feel like rubber domes. I'm not sure if it was the case then that there are apparently different designs of o-rings, and some people absolutely hate some and actually like others.

Absolutely. There's great stuff out there. I would love a Satisfaction 75 some day as well, if there's even another window, and I happen to notice it, and I'm then lucky enough to get into proverbial Disney Land. It just sounds like a lot of work. Good luck in your own quest in that regard.

There are quite often more than 2 points of view. I'm happy to hear them all myself.

Thanks dude, appreciate it!

Ordered a set of tactiles (incl. 16 switches incl cherry , zealios, gateron brown, aliaz, hako, kalih speed, pro and box) and linears (9 switches incl pro, cream, cherry, kalih, kalih box, tealios, gaterons) dont know what they gonna feel but again curious af! :)
Didn't took the clickies, but maybe Ill give them a chance some time. Saw some yt vids with sound tests of them, sounds funny, but nothing for every day I feel like.

yeah got the same feeling as u discribed, like walking on eggs, we would say in germany. But without them the keyboard sounds even worse, that's the sad part.

What boards you got?
The worst part is, that  there are almost no nice keycap sets with a german layout, so now I'm on a qwerty layout and getting used to it, justy switching back for some special letters sometimes. Like a adventure or a quest in a bigger adventure :D

Thanks for the nice welcome, makes me even happier getting into mk's and all around!
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 April 2020, 17:32:29 by kr0_- »

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 18:46:47 »

Thanks dude, appreciate it!

Ordered a set of tactiles (incl. 16 switches incl cherry , zealios, gateron brown, aliaz, hako, kalih speed, pro and box) and linears (9 switches incl pro, cream, cherry, kalih, kalih box, tealios, gaterons) dont know what they gonna feel but again curious af! :)
Didn't took the clickies, but maybe Ill give them a chance some time. Saw some yt vids with sound tests of them, sounds funny, but nothing for every day I feel like.

yeah got the same feeling as u discribed, like walking on eggs, we would say in germany. But without them the keyboard sounds even worse, that's the sad part.

What boards you got?
The worst part is, that  there are almost no nice keycap sets with a german layout, so now I'm on a qwerty layout and getting used to it, justy switching back for some special letters sometimes. Like a adventure or a quest in a bigger adventure :D

Thanks for the nice welcome, makes me even happier getting into mk's and all around!

No problem, any time.

I need to feel a lot of those, if I ever get around to linears and tactiles. That's a great selection of switches, I imagine you're going to find something fantastic between them.

I wonder which sound tests you watched. Clickies can sound pretty different from each other. I like the crisp bassy sound of SKCM Alps, box jades, and box pinks myself, but I love navies too, even in a pingy K65, and capacitive buckling spring.

We have the same expression here, it is eggshells though usually.

I have mostly retro boards. Model Fs, Model Ms, Zeniths (SKCL Alps), an Omnikey (SKCM Alps), some Leading Edge DC-2014s (SKCM Alps), a Fujitsu (Fujitsu Peerless switches), Samsung (Futaba MA switches), an NEC (NEC blue oval switches), some Unitek K151Ls (one with "vintage" MX blacks, one modded with box jades)

Of the modern stuff, some K65s, some K70s, some TG3 Cop keyboards, some TG3 BL82s, a Cooler Master Quick Fire Rapid, a Das Pro 4, a Rosewill RK-9000, an Ajazz AK33, and some random generic Chinesium boards. In other words, nothing most people would care much about if they're chasing group buys, etc. I have the parts for a LEGO 65% coming, some day, once the apocalypse allows it.

I would imagine. In that case, maybe you do need some group buys to find some good caps. I wonder if there are any European-specific key cap stores. There seem to be a lot of Germanic members on this forum, it sure wouldn't hurt to post about it in the keycaps section and see if anybody has any suggestions.

Absolutely. That was my intent, and I'm glad it was also the result.  :thumb:

Offline kr0_-

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 08:27:19 »

No problem, any time.

I need to feel a lot of those, if I ever get around to linears and tactiles. That's a great selection of switches, I imagine you're going to find something fantastic between them.

I wonder which sound tests you watched. Clickies can sound pretty different from each other. I like the crisp bassy sound of SKCM Alps, box jades, and box pinks myself, but I love navies too, even in a pingy K65, and capacitive buckling spring.

I have mostly retro boards. Model Fs, Model Ms, Zeniths (SKCL Alps), an Omnikey (SKCM Alps), some Leading Edge DC-2014s (SKCM Alps), a Fujitsu (Fujitsu Peerless switches), Samsung (Futaba MA switches), an NEC (NEC blue oval switches), some Unitek K151Ls (one with "vintage" MX blacks, one modded with box jades)

Of the modern stuff, some K65s, some K70s, some TG3 Cop keyboards, some TG3 BL82s, a Cooler Master Quick Fire Rapid, a Das Pro 4, a Rosewill RK-9000, an Ajazz AK33, and some random generic Chinesium boards. In other words, nothing most people would care much about if they're chasing group buys, etc. I have the parts for a LEGO 65% coming, some day, once the apocalypse allows it.

I would imagine. In that case, maybe you do need some group buys to find some good caps. I wonder if there are any European-specific key cap stores. There seem to be a lot of Germanic members on this forum, it sure wouldn't hurt to post about it in the keycaps section and see if anybody has any suggestions.

Hope to find some, but there is an endless amount of switches, but for the beginning this should be more than enough to choose!

I watch taeha types' VOD's and there are a lot of sound test and some others I find on youtube MrKeebs e.g.

But thats nothing to campare to real sound test on my own, that's why I consider to go to the meeting in London this year. Not sure now, but sounds interesting! And London is a nice city too!

ok nice collection you have, heard the Alps are the way to go for clickies!

haha hope you gonna post ur Lego 65% sounds great!

Should probably do a post about the keycaps , nice idea, thanks!

:)

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 08:47:34 »

No problem, any time.

Hope to find some, but there is an endless amount of switches, but for the beginning this should be more than enough to choose!

I watch taeha types' VOD's and there are a lot of sound test and some others I find on youtube MrKeebs e.g.

But thats nothing to campare to real sound test on my own, that's why I consider to go to the meeting in London this year. Not sure now, but sounds interesting! And London is a nice city too!

ok nice collection you have, heard the Alps are the way to go for clickies!

haha hope you gonna post ur Lego 65% sounds great!

Should probably do a post about the keycaps , nice idea, thanks!

:)

For tactiles, I do believe so, besides Alps. I know there are more linears that a lot of people seem to like, but I haven't heard of anybody that wasn't happy with Creams either.

I haven't watched many keyboard channels that aren't retro myself. I probably should, eventually.

I need to go to a meetup of some kind as well. Sure would be a lot easier and cheaper than trying to hunt down unobtainium boards like beam springs. I imagine you've been to London then? I would probably just geek out over the historical buildings/locations myself.

Thank you very much. Alps SKCM blues are wonderful. Capacitive buckling spring isn't far behind though. They say beam springs top both, but who knows if I'll ever feel the original IBM beam springs. Those boards cost more than a decent used car ... so.

It isn't actually made of LEGOs, although I think people have done that before. I just call them that since it is a process that's basically just picking parts and assembling them. The case will be walnut, with a brass plate. I mostly just wanted something with hot swap sockets to test switches in that would be relatively deep sounding.

Good luck finding caps. I imagine somebody that's already walked that path will have some ideas for you.

Offline kr0_-

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 09:31:38 »

For tactiles, I do believe so, besides Alps. I know there are more linears that a lot of people seem to like, but I haven't heard of anybody that wasn't happy with Creams either.

I haven't watched many keyboard channels that aren't retro myself. I probably should, eventually.

I need to go to a meetup of some kind as well. Sure would be a lot easier and cheaper than trying to hunt down unobtainium boards like beam springs. I imagine you've been to London then? I would probably just geek out over the historical buildings/locations myself.

Thank you very much. Alps SKCM blues are wonderful. Capacitive buckling spring isn't far behind though. They say beam springs top both, but who knows if I'll ever feel the original IBM beam springs. Those boards cost more than a decent used car ... so.

It isn't actually made of LEGOs, although I think people have done that before. I just call them that since it is a process that's basically just picking parts and assembling them. The case will be walnut, with a brass plate. I mostly just wanted something with hot swap sockets to test switches in that would be relatively deep sounding.

Good luck finding caps. I imagine somebody that's already walked that path will have some ideas for you.

For me I think any tactile or new linear will be amazing, caus eI'm just used to the so called "gamimg" switch from my k70 rapidfire.

I just accidentally found his stream and then you just click from one to the next video on youtube, hours go bye and you watched like 5 different youtubers typing and building while being fascinated :)

Yeah I visited London with a friend years ago, was much fun! Wanted to go there once again for a soccer match, has to be a phenomenal thing! And then just combine those two events is like a jack pot, but this isn't cheap and hard to get tickets for the top macthes!

I think that "taehatypes" got a board with those beam springs and ist cost like 1.5k or so IIRC.

Oh just by imagining what the case looks like I want one too :D

Guess so, too, GMK is a german company so there shoul be something!

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 10:10:30 »
For me I think any tactile or new linear will be amazing, caus eI'm just used to the so called "gamimg" switch from my k70 rapidfire.

I just accidentally found his stream and then you just click from one to the next video on youtube, hours go bye and you watched like 5 different youtubers typing and building while being fascinated :)

Yeah I visited London with a friend years ago, was much fun! Wanted to go there once again for a soccer match, has to be a phenomenal thing! And then just combine those two events is like a jack pot, but this isn't cheap and hard to get tickets for the top macthes!

I think that "taehatypes" got a board with those beam springs and ist cost like 1.5k or so IIRC.

Oh just by imagining what the case looks like I want one too :D

Guess so, too, GMK is a german company so there shoul be something!

Honestly, Cherry's linears aren't half bad. They're not great, but that's their strongest category, by far.

I know how that goes with getting addicted to videos. That happened to me, just with Chyros, who is pretty active on here.

You called it by the Americanized name? I would know what you mean if you had said football, and I don't even follow sports myself. I do imagine that would be fantastic for people who both like London and that sport. How much does it cost? I always thought it was interesting that most European nations are practically like states here in terms of travel distances and size.

I see people trying to get ridiculous prices for them. I have seen them as low as 1.5k though, yeah. Lower even still, and I probably should have jumped on it then.

I'm a big fan of old school materials like brass and wood. It just so happens that both materials are also considered pretty good for keyboards, so that was a done deal. Aliexpress, and other websites, have a few different wood cases for 60% PCBs if you look around.

I didn't even know that. No wonder people like GMK so much. It would be pretty sad and ironic if they didn't make any German layout cap sets just because that's not the market trend.

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 12:37:35 »

I can't tell much about boards, because I ddidn't own any good ones :(

If you like how the board feels then it's a good one :cool:

Obviously personal preference, like I prefer the Surface keyboard over a lot of switches and that's not even a mech.

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline kr0_-

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 18:24:18 »

Honestly, Cherry's linears aren't half bad. They're not great, but that's their strongest category, by far.

I know how that goes with getting addicted to videos. That happened to me, just with Chyros, who is pretty active on here.

You called it by the Americanized name? I would know what you mean if you had said football, and I don't even follow sports myself. I do imagine that would be fantastic for people who both like London and that sport. How much does it cost? I always thought it was interesting that most European nations are practically like states here in terms of travel distances and size.

I see people trying to get ridiculous prices for them. I have seen them as low as 1.5k though, yeah. Lower even still, and I probably should have jumped on it then.

I'm a big fan of old school materials like brass and wood. It just so happens that both materials are also considered pretty good for keyboards, so that was a done deal. Aliexpress, and other websites, have a few different wood cases for 60% PCBs if you look around.

I didn't even know that. No wonder people like GMK so much. It would be pretty sad and ironic if they didn't make any German layout cap sets just because that's not the market trend.

I heard the vintage blacks are nice, as I understood, they are mx blacks which were used for quite a time and like wine they get as better as older they become.
Oh Chyros, I think some guys metioned him, he is a lover for old keyboards and has a asmr voice, they say :)

Yeah called it your way, I dont care for the name, just love the sport, cant play anymore, my knees are restricting :/ As I know the cheapest ticket is 40 Euro but for the interesting games it's up to 130 Euro. But some guys sold the tickets aftermarket for even more if there is some special matchday meet up.
English football stadiums are special, the viewers are pretty close to the pitch and ther e is no fence or seperation, so you could easily get on it, if there were no security. So it's special to watch.

It's like an investment, there wont be any more  like oldtimers, but the prices are incredible high imo.

I heard it some days ago, didnt know it too, but yeah the quality is pretty nice, thats what germany stands for I guess.

If you like how the board feels then it's a good one :cool:

Obviously personal preference, like I prefer the Surface keyboard over a lot of switches and that's not even a mech.

true, but just by comparing to what I hear and see on the vids with mine I can tell there is big differneces, so I wanna dive deeper into this hobby and starting by gettin a better mk and modding it

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 23:53:40 »

I heard the vintage blacks are nice, as I understood, they are mx blacks which were used for quite a time and like wine they get as better as older they become.
Oh Chyros, I think some guys metioned him, he is a lover for old keyboards and has a asmr voice, they say :)

Yeah called it your way, I dont care for the name, just love the sport, cant play anymore, my knees are restricting :/ As I know the cheapest ticket is 40 Euro but for the interesting games it's up to 130 Euro. But some guys sold the tickets aftermarket for even more if there is some special matchday meet up.
English football stadiums are special, the viewers are pretty close to the pitch and ther e is no fence or seperation, so you could easily get on it, if there were no security. So it's special to watch.

It's like an investment, there wont be any more  like oldtimers, but the prices are incredible high imo.

I heard it some days ago, didnt know it too, but yeah the quality is pretty nice, thats what germany stands for I guess.

Maybe my sample size is too small, but I have had two separate "vintage" MX black boards and when taking each board in aggregate, I couldn't tell a difference between those and various more modern MX blacks (ranging in age from a few to 10-15 years old). If it is as some say that the difference is heavy wear, it could be that all 4-5 boards I tried had heavy wear, or all 4-5 boards that I tried had virtually none, but I kind of doubt that either is the case. I did compare mostly against TG3 "cop keyboards", which probably did ride around in cruisers for 10-15 years. And then, if it is true that they all had a lot of wear, then even "vintage" blacks don't really feel all that great. There's also the notion that tooling changes over the years has resulted in many years worth of consecutive batches of switches made on worn-out tooling, which causes them to be rougher. So far, in my limited experience, all of it is inconclusive.

Yes, that would be him. Even if you don't like vintage boards, there's some great humor. He reviews literally useless keyboards people send him as well, and comes up with plenty of new swears to describe them, as every board he reviews he uses for a week straight, unless it is completely a joke video. Recently he did a review of some 1980s plastic toy terminal ... with its 3 button keyboard. I still have one of those Bastron glass panel keyboards to send him.

What's wrong with the name? It seems to me that all of those ball-related sports have pretty stupid names, so it certainly doesn't stand out of the crowd in any way. "object xyz" - ball. I'm sorry to hear that about your knees. Soccer/football is the only traditional sport around here that I ever had much fun playing, other than the occasional big hits in baseball.

Those prices actually don't sound so bad. I think that's less than most professional sports events here. I haven't been to any in a very long time though.

Professional basketball is like that here as well, although I'm not sure what sort of security may be present just to get into the "courtside" section.

Yup, those prices will probably continue up too.

Quality, and engineering. We used to stand for quality as well. I'm not sure what happened to that. Rampant, unchecked consumerism I suppose.

Offline kr0_-

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 08:41:28 »

Maybe my sample size is too small, but I have had two separate "vintage" MX black boards and when taking each board in aggregate, I couldn't tell a difference between those and various more modern MX blacks (ranging in age from a few to 10-15 years old). If it is as some say that the difference is heavy wear, it could be that all 4-5 boards I tried had heavy wear, or all 4-5 boards that I tried had virtually none, but I kind of doubt that either is the case. I did compare mostly against TG3 "cop keyboards", which probably did ride around in cruisers for 10-15 years. And then, if it is true that they all had a lot of wear, then even "vintage" blacks don't really feel all that great. There's also the notion that tooling changes over the years has resulted in many years worth of consecutive batches of switches made on worn-out tooling, which causes them to be rougher. So far, in my limited experience, all of it is inconclusive.

Yes, that would be him. Even if you don't like vintage boards, there's some great humor. He reviews literally useless keyboards people send him as well, and comes up with plenty of new swears to describe them, as every board he reviews he uses for a week straight, unless it is completely a joke video. Recently he did a review of some 1980s plastic toy terminal ... with its 3 button keyboard. I still have one of those Bastron glass panel keyboards to send him.

What's wrong with the name? It seems to me that all of those ball-related sports have pretty stupid names, so it certainly doesn't stand out of the crowd in any way. "object xyz" - ball. I'm sorry to hear that about your knees. Soccer/football is the only traditional sport around here that I ever had much fun playing, other than the occasional big hits in baseball.

Those prices actually don't sound so bad. I think that's less than most professional sports events here. I haven't been to any in a very long time though.

Professional basketball is like that here as well, although I'm not sure what sort of security may be present just to get into the "courtside" section.

Yup, those prices will probably continue up too.

Quality, and engineering. We used to stand for quality as well. I'm not sure what happened to that. Rampant, unchecked consumerism I suppose.

OKay, nice to hear another opinion on these. But as you said, it's all preference. Now I feel like a child in front of a closed theme park waiting to get in and try everything out :)

I zesterday watched just his channel overview vid he made lately, was fun to watch ! My list daily becomes bigger and bigger, a lot of vids to be watched, but the way you discribe his stuff, I'm gonna need to focus more on some of his work. A KB out of glass WYTF? Curios to hear his opnion on it combined with his humor!

Never was into american typ of sports like Baseball or Basketball or football, but some years ago I followed amercian football a bit and wished I could once try it myself, but now its too late. Love the fact, that there is a position for every kind of person on the pitch, doesnt matter if you are short, big, fast or whatever. everybody fits somewhere in the game!

Is it really that expensive ? damn! But I'm the person who rather would play himself then watch somebody play, love the sport itself and got no fav. team or player. Just wanna see a great game, when watching.

Yeah the stuff that was built decades ago was so rubust and a masterpiece which still exists and functions well nowadays is not produced anymore like that. As you say, just some random **** that lasts 2 years and yo have to renew it.. the new economic  works like that. Guaranteed re-buys, so the money doenst stay in one place... hate it!

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 11:59:28 »
OKay, nice to hear another opinion on these. But as you said, it's all preference. Now I feel like a child in front of a closed theme park waiting to get in and try everything out :)

I zesterday watched just his channel overview vid he made lately, was fun to watch ! My list daily becomes bigger and bigger, a lot of vids to be watched, but the way you discribe his stuff, I'm gonna need to focus more on some of his work. A KB out of glass WYTF? Curios to hear his opnion on it combined with his humor!

Never was into american typ of sports like Baseball or Basketball or football, but some years ago I followed amercian football a bit and wished I could once try it myself, but now its too late. Love the fact, that there is a position for every kind of person on the pitch, doesnt matter if you are short, big, fast or whatever. everybody fits somewhere in the game!

Is it really that expensive ? damn! But I'm the person who rather would play himself then watch somebody play, love the sport itself and got no fav. team or player. Just wanna see a great game, when watching.

Yeah the stuff that was built decades ago was so rubust and a masterpiece which still exists and functions well nowadays is not produced anymore like that. As you say, just some random **** that lasts 2 years and yo have to renew it.. the new economic  works like that. Guaranteed re-buys, so the money doenst stay in one place... hate it!

Yes, all opinion, and there are certainly people who have felt way more individual batches of MX blacks than myself. I know I have felt way better linears (in my estimation) than anything Cherry MX though, new and old, and I'm not even a linear guy. I still feel that way myself. So many switches yet to try, and I have tried a lot already, especially the vintage stuff.

I basically binge watch every review he puts out if I haven't been to the channel in a while, if only just for the comedic value, but he does also seem, to me, to do a very good serious comparison of build quality, switch feel, and and a breakdown of how different switches work.

Yes, a glass keyboard. It is as bad as it sounds. I saw one and snatched it for cheap for the sole purpose of seeing if he would review it. They look something like this, with some sort of etching to mark the keys and legends:

I agree. Our sports are generally boring as heck. You're right about that. I suppose there many not be any major/traditional/physical sport in which there seems to be a place for anyone if they have the skill for a given role, vs very preordained genetic characteristics in other sports.

Yes, I believe so. Then you've got things like box seats, and courtside, where it may cost multiple hundreds of dollars, or more. I agree. I feel the same about video games as well, and that ties into my views on sports video games. Why would you play a baseball video game when you can literally just go outside and play baseball? Video games are the realm of fantasy, absurdity, and inconsequence. You play them for those reasons, and there are those who obviously may never be able to physically play a sport, but I know that that's a minuscule percentage of the user base for such games. The same then directly applies to Twitch streamers, Youtubers, etc. I will never fathom why people spend hours watching other people play video games that they could just pick up and play themselves instead.

Actually ... Ellipse is still churning out modern F62 and F77 reproductions. I'm typing on one at this very moment. Tank/brick does not adequately describe their mass and sheer ruggedness. As a general rule though, you're absolutely right. That's part of the reason I really like firearms, especially old ones. You can't make something that's designed to fail in that regard. It would be a safety hazard, so any of them made by a company that wants to stay in business seem to still be held to a minimum level of quality and durability. You still see that today with Zippo windproof lighters as well, which are made basically the same as they always have been, and are still warrantied literally for as long as that lighter may exist, regardless of the owner. You don't really see that anymore. You pay to ship the lighter in, and that's it, no questions asked.

« Last Edit: Wed, 29 April 2020, 15:10:44 by Maledicted »

Offline kr0_-

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 14:04:09 »

Yes, all opinion, and there are certainly people who have felt way more individual batches of MX blacks than myself. I know I have felt way better linears (in my estimation) than anything Cherry MX though, new and old, and I'm not even a linear guy. I still feel that way myself. So many switches yet to try, and I have tried a lot already, especially the vintage stuff.

I basically binge watch every review he puts out if I haven't been to the channel in a while, if only just for the comedic value, but he does also seem, to me, to do a very good serious comparison of build quality, switch feel, and and a breakdown of how different switches work.

Yes, a glass keyboard. It is as bad as it sounds. I saw one and snatched it for cheap for the soul purpose of seeing if he would review it. They look something like this, with some sort of edging to mark the keys and legends:

Show Image

I agree. Our sports are generally boring as heck. You're right about that. I suppose there many not be any major/traditional/physical sport in which there seems to be a place for anyone if they have the skill for a given role, vs very preordained genetic characteristics in other sports.

Yes, I believe so. Then you've got things like box seats, and courtside, where it may cost multiple hundreds of dollars, or more. I agree. I feel the same about video games as well, and that ties into my views on sports video games. Why would you play a baseball video game when you can literally just go outside and play baseball? Video games are the realm of fantasy, absurdity, and inconsequence. You play them for those reasons, and there are those who obviously may never be able to physically play a sport, but I know that that's a minuscule percentage of the user base for such games. The same then directly applies to Twitch streamers, Youtubers, etc. I will never fathom why people spend hours watching other people play video games that they could just pick up and play themselves instead.

Actually ... Ellipse is still churning out modern F62 and F77 reproductions. I'm typing on one at this very moment. Tank/brick does not adequately describe their mass and sheer ruggedness. As a general rule though, you're absolutely right. That's part of the reason I really like firearms, especially old ones. You can't make something that's designed to fail in that regard. It would be a safety hazard, so any of them made by a company that wants to stay in business seem to still be held to a minimum level of quality and durability. You still see that today with Zippo windproof lighters as well, which are made basically the same as they always have been, and are still warrantied literally for as long as that lighter may exist, regardless of the owner. You don't really see that anymore. You pay to ship the lighter in, and that's it, no questions asked.

What are your favs so far? by type the best 2-3? If I may take your time and get your opninon :)

Have to watch his stuff, but I'm kinda person, who wants to go from the very first video to his newest, but he got tons of vids, so it'll take a lot iof time for that :/

I googled the glass thing, saw pictures and was amused haha

When I couldn't play tennis, soccer, table tennis, badminton or just ride my bike or go for run I used to play on my SNES, years ago and switched to FPS after, where I got a lot of hours now :/ But it's still fun sometimes! Online games are next to american football, as I know from the top of my head, the only sports where anybody fits in well!

Yeah its the same here, companies got lounges to rent for seasons, and special seats for viewers who wanna pay for that but I just spoke about the normal tickets. I agree with you totally, besides the watching streamers, because I can't stand the TYv program, it's so bad, that's why I never watch TV. If I'm not into playing at some time, I enjoy just wathcing and getting some information I may didn't know about, watching pro players for example. But if I watch streams I prefer watching pro matches with commentators instead of just random guys stream their gameplay, there I agree with you!

Oh really.. so the trends goes towards retro then? But it's like fashion, things tend to repeat and come back etc...
Just take a look at the old toys, before war times, this stuff was made out from sheet, steel etc.. it's unbreakable'

Had firearms in my hand when I was a child and some parts of my family had them because there was a war where my parents are from, since then I never got any firearm but I would like to, especially the old ones, the technic behind it still amazes me! Or the old cars, no electronics just the raw machine! And all the regulations for qualitymanagment are so special, because they products need to be 100% safe to fit it's requirements but not build to last decades... the circumstances aren't easy to fulfill either, but are just wrong for me!
yes the Zippo is a good example, no excuses just quality!

Sorry if my english isn't the best but I hope you get my intention. Didn't speak a lot since I left school a decade ago :D

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 15:53:14 »
What are your favs so far? by type the best 2-3? If I may take your time and get your opninon :)

Have to watch his stuff, but I'm kinda person, who wants to go from the very first video to his newest, but he got tons of vids, so it'll take a lot iof time for that :/

I googled the glass thing, saw pictures and was amused haha

When I couldn't play tennis, soccer, table tennis, badminton or just ride my bike or go for run I used to play on my SNES, years ago and switched to FPS after, where I got a lot of hours now :/ But it's still fun sometimes! Online games are next to american football, as I know from the top of my head, the only sports where anybody fits in well!

Yeah its the same here, companies got lounges to rent for seasons, and special seats for viewers who wanna pay for that but I just spoke about the normal tickets. I agree with you totally, besides the watching streamers, because I can't stand the TYv program, it's so bad, that's why I never watch TV. If I'm not into playing at some time, I enjoy just wathcing and getting some information I may didn't know about, watching pro players for example. But if I watch streams I prefer watching pro matches with commentators instead of just random guys stream their gameplay, there I agree with you!

Oh really.. so the trends goes towards retro then? But it's like fashion, things tend to repeat and come back etc...
Just take a look at the old toys, before war times, this stuff was made out from sheet, steel etc.. it's unbreakable'

Had firearms in my hand when I was a child and some parts of my family had them because there was a war where my parents are from, since then I never got any firearm but I would like to, especially the old ones, the technic behind it still amazes me! Or the old cars, no electronics just the raw machine! And all the regulations for qualitymanagment are so special, because they products need to be 100% safe to fit it's requirements but not build to last decades... the circumstances aren't easy to fulfill either, but are just wrong for me!
yes the Zippo is a good example, no excuses just quality!

Sorry if my english isn't the best but I hope you get my intention. Didn't speak a lot since I left school a decade ago :D

Alright, there's going to be a mix of vintage and modern here then as far as favorite 2-3, ranked in order.

Clickies: Alps SKCM blues (whites as a lesser extension), IBM's capacitive buckling spring, Kailh's box jades and navies.

Tactiles: Alps SKCM blacks (there are apparently better Alps tactiles than blacks), Kailh box browns (etc), Cherry MX browns (I actually think these feel terrible, Cherry MX sand is the common joke). I haven't tried many tactiles, though Fujitsu Peerless is sort of a tactile switch, in which case it would go between the Alps and Kailhs and bump the Cherries off of the list.

Linears: Alps SKCC cream, Alps SKCL Green and Yellow, Kailh box reds (etc). I have tried very few modern linears.

It will take time, but it will go fast. I know from experience. lol

Yup, keyboards like that steaming pile make you wonder what the intended market even was. My guess is Apple users that care more about how cool their desk looks than how any of their tech actually functions.

SNES, classic. I had plenty of gaming years dedicated to the SNES myself. By fps you mean the genre, or is there some platform that I'm unaware of? There are FPS games for the SNES. I have a Doom cartridge for it, lol. Yeah, the FPS genre was kind of watered down. Needed to toss in some copout game mechanics and weapons so that literally anybody can get addicted and keep playing, whether or not they're the quickest or most precise ... which is kind of why I basically stopped playing FPS, that and the complete stagnation and/or devolution of features and innovation.

Ellipse is an anomaly. I think there's a lot of interest in old keyboards, and switches, but most people don't seem to put in the time and effort for such things. I think the usual tiny keyboards with modern switches will remain the most popular, as the barrier to entry is much smaller. Elipse's boards cost around $400. The originals of the same model are basically unobtainium and basically worth whatever you're willing to pay. A lot of retro boards, including the IBM 4704 series (F62, F77, F107, etc), won't even work with a modern computer without a converter/replacement controller. Even with using vintage switches in modern boards, Alps-compatible pcbs and keycaps are not common, etc. The switches themselves are also becoming rare and valuable. There's an IC still running on here in regards to possibly recreating Alps SKCM blue, and hopefully that happens, but until then, there's little market for Alps vs MX-compatibles.

I agree entirely. Another great thing with the old ones is the history, because firearms are something that you can almost always literally still go and shoot them. You can work the action, feel the recoil, smell the powder in the air, run your hand down the stains and dings in the weathered old wood stock. You can relive history, at your leisure, and it doesn't even cost a fortune even if they're 100+-years-old because they've made millions of the things for certain conflicts. Absolutely on the techniques, some of that old school craftsmanship has been lost. Before WWI (and much made concurrently with it) most things were hand fit, polished, lapped, etc. Case hardening, rust bluing, etc, were literally arts.

Agreed on cars, though I don't know that I could ever afford a cool classic car. Maybe some day.

I have way too many Zippos, but that's the same. I have some from the 50s. You can still flick them open and light them up, and almost get transported back to the 30s, 40s, and 50s because they literally do not wear out.

Your English is almost perfect. I'm a little hazy on a few things, but I understand at least 95% of it.
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 April 2020, 21:24:36 by Maledicted »

Offline kr0_-

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 18:11:09 »

Alright, there's going to be a mix of vintage and modern here then as far as favorite 2-3, ranked in order.

Clickies: Alps SKCM blues (whites as a lesser extension), IBM's capacitive buckling spring, Kailh's box jades and navies.

Tactiles: Alps SKCKM blacks (there are apparently better Alps tactiles than blacks), Kailh box browns (etc), Cherry MX browns (I actually think these feel terrible, Cherry MX sand is the common joke). I haven't tried many tactiles, though Fujitsu Peerless is sort of a tactile switch, in which case it would go between the Alps and Kailhs and bump the Cherries off of the list.

Linears: Alps SKCC cream, Alps SKCL Green and Yellow, Kailh box reds (etc). I have tried very few modern linears.

It will take time, but it will go fast. I know from experience. lol

Yup, keyboards like that steaming pile make you wonder what the intended market even was. My guess is Apple users that care more about how cool their desk looks than how any of their tech actually functions.

SNES, classic. I had plenty of gaming years dedicated to the SNES myself. By fps you mean the genre, or is there some platform that I'm unaware of? There are FPS games for the SNES. I have a Doom cartridge for it, lol. Yeah, the FPS genre was kind of watered down. Needed to toss in some copout game mechanics and weapons so that literally anybody can get addicted and keep playing, whether or not they're the quickest or most precise ... which is kind of why I basically stopped playing FPS, that and the complete stagnation and/or devolution of features and innovation.

Ellipse is an anomaly. I think there's a lot of interest in old keyboards, and switches, but most people don't seem to put in the time and effort for such things. I think the usual tiny keyboards with modern switches will remain the most popular, as the barrier to entry is much smaller. Elipse's boards cost around $400. The originals of the same model are basically unobtainium and basically worth whatever you're willing to pay. A lot of retro boards, including the IBM 4704 series (F62, F77, F107, etc), won't even work with a modern computer without a converter/replacement controller. Even with using vintage switches in modern boards, Alps-compatible pcbs and keycaps are not common, etc. The switches themselves are also becoming rare and valuable. There's an IC still running on here in regards to possibly recreating Alps SKCM blue, and hopefully that happens, but until then, there's little market for Alps vs MX-compatibles.

I agree entirely. Another great thing with the old ones is the history, because firearms are something that you can almost always literally still go and shoot them. You can work the action, feel the recoil, smell the powder in the air, run your hand down the stains and dings in the weathered old wood stock. You can relive history, at your leisure, and it doesn't even cost a fortune even if they're 100+-years-old because they've made millions of the things for certain conflicts. Absolutely on the techniques, some of that old school craftsmanship has been lost. Before WWI (and much made concurrently with it) most things were hand fit, polished, lapped, etc. Case hardening, rust bluing, etc, were literally arts.

Agreed on cars, though I don't know that I could ever afford a cool classic car. Maybe some day.

I have way too many Zippos, but that's the same. I have some from the 50s. You can still flick them open and light them up, and almost get transported back to the 30s, 40s, and 50s because they literally do not wear out.

Your English is almost perfect. I'm a little hazy on a few things, but I understand at least 95% of it.

Oh nice...
If I'm gonna try clickies then some of those you listed.
Heard tons of jokes about mx browns, but I never tried them and never will or maybe I should to know what I'm not gonna get! :D But you never tried the new one from zeal e.g.?
Guess ALps are your favourits all over! Need to try them, but they got their own stem style, so I'll need their keycaps also and do I need special Alps PCBs aswell?

I know... the hours fly bye while wathing .. but it;s a good sign... you wouldn't watch it that long if it's boring :)

Probably you're right.. just the optic cares!

YEAAAH the SNES was classic, until my cousin got a N64 but later on I got back to the SNES, a lot of fun games !! Yes ment the genre FPS, a bit of COD and Unreal Tournament until Cs1.6 got my heart! Yeah true words, Thats why I even when csgo came out still played 1.6 until the last days. But still some guys I know play it sometimes. The new mechs are made for everybody especially pubg, cod and stuff like that.. no recoil just random shooting.

So same issues here aswell, as soon the market get's interested in this niche thing, the big companies going with solutions for them to get the most out of the fewest commitment.

Besides firearms, I love to watch people making swords and see the old cultre of japan for example. How they made their weapons so many years ago in unreachable good quality. You need time and a lot of effort to craft something like this, nowadays nobody cares about the how, they just want it for their checklist and online posts. Just fake interest!

I enjoy old things but I see many poeple around me without patience or dedication or understanding for those things. They thnik the'll miss something if they dont go with the flow and everthing had to happen not now but yesterday already!
They stress themselfs to the maximum.. but talking woon't help, tired it...

thanks.. sometimes mixing it up.. cause there are idioms/phrases in german or croatian I want to translate to english but it doens't work like word by word translation :D

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 22:52:01 »
Oh nice...
If I'm gonna try clickies then some of those you listed.
Heard tons of jokes about mx browns, but I never tried them and never will or maybe I should to know what I'm not gonna get! :D But you never tried the new one from zeal e.g.?
Guess ALps are your favourits all over! Need to try them, but they got their own stem style, so I'll need their keycaps also and do I need special Alps PCBs aswell?

I know... the hours fly bye while wathing .. but it;s a good sign... you wouldn't watch it that long if it's boring :)

Probably you're right.. just the optic cares!

YEAAAH the SNES was classic, until my cousin got a N64 but later on I got back to the SNES, a lot of fun games !! Yes ment the genre FPS, a bit of COD and Unreal Tournament until Cs1.6 got my heart! Yeah true words, Thats why I even when csgo came out still played 1.6 until the last days. But still some guys I know play it sometimes. The new mechs are made for everybody especially pubg, cod and stuff like that.. no recoil just random shooting.

So same issues here aswell, as soon the market get's interested in this niche thing, the big companies going with solutions for them to get the most out of the fewest commitment.

Besides firearms, I love to watch people making swords and see the old cultre of japan for example. How they made their weapons so many years ago in unreachable good quality. You need time and a lot of effort to craft something like this, nowadays nobody cares about the how, they just want it for their checklist and online posts. Just fake interest!

I enjoy old things but I see many poeple around me without patience or dedication or understanding for those things. They thnik the'll miss something if they dont go with the flow and everthing had to happen not now but yesterday already!
They stress themselfs to the maximum.. but talking woon't help, tired it...

thanks.. sometimes mixing it up.. cause there are idioms/phrases in german or croatian I want to translate to english but it doens't work like word by word translation :D

If you look for Alps, make sure the board looks pretty clean. I have gotten some that look terrible and the switches still felt good, but that's the exception to the rule. Dust and dirt are their Achilles heel, and if someone types on them for an extended period while dirty, cleaning them completely inside and out may not restore them to the same level of smoothness. SKCM white boards sell for a lot less than blues, but the blue Alps Leading Edge DC-2014 (AT layout, and needs a very specific sort of converter) can be had for less than $150 sometimes if you watch for deals. IBM Model Ms can be had for $40-50 left and right on Ebay, sometimes you can find Unicomps for even less than that, but membrane buckling spring isn't that great in my opinion, certainly doesn't hold a candle to capacitive buckling spring (Model Fs) and an F AT rarely goes for any less than $200 these days. You can find XTs (also need a Soarer or TMK converter) for a lot less, if you dig, but the layout is a bit too alien for most people. Model Fs, by contrast to boards with Alps switches, are basically immortal. NEC blue ovals are nice vintage switches too, and kind of under the radar for now, so you can get boards with those for well under $100 when you find them. This is another example of what I said before: box jades and navies are available new, you can put them in any MX board, with any MX caps, and they're not much worse than the best vintage switches (again, haven't felt beam springs).

I would try MX brown if I were you. I know there's a surprising number of people who do like them. They seem to have some strange allure to them for some, even people who don't think they feel very good. A lot of people seem to think that they type faster on them than with other switch types, and some tactile diehards even swear by them over other options, although they seem to be in the minority and may just be sticking mostly with what they know from years past, before the switch renaissance began.

I would say that I loved blue Alps so much that I wanted to try as many other variants as I could economically get my hands on, be it at a recycling place, or ordering a board online. So that really just means that they're the type of switch I have tried the most of besides MX and Kailh's box switches. I haven't looked much into custom Alps boards. I just know that only a few options are available for modern enthusiast PCBs. Supply and demand at work, since SKCM blues haven't been manufactured since the late 80s, maybe very early 90s. Matias switches still follow the Alps lineage, which means their caps and boards are compatible with the SKCM/SKCL series and later as well. They're another option to try, and I hope to try them myself some time if I find an old board for cheap, but I hear that they not only don't hold a candle to old Alps switches (as Alps continuously simplified their switches with time) but have had some reliability concerns.

Yup. There's so many great Youtube channels like that out there.

I wish I had more games for the SNES. We had a decent amount, more than for the 64, but it was mostly whatever we found at garage sales growing up. I didn't have a decent computer when CS came out, so I missed that boat. My FPS was Halo 2 on the Xbox. The weapon balance was perfect (besides the noob combo). If you couldn't aim, you would get destroyed, sometimes even if groups camped together (if they were bad enough).

Yeah, that's just how companies become profitable, finding that balance between niche and mainstream. If you're on the far end of mainstream your products had better be better and/or cheaper than everybody else's. If you're on the far end of niche, there won't be enough demand to even keep you afloat. If SKCM blues are resurrected, we'll see the Alps fortunes change.

Agreed. It is fascinating how the Japanese made some of the finest ancient steel with their own unique technique out of necessity, because the quality of their local iron was so poor to begin with. I agree on the cutting corners thing. Makes me think of those people who make modern katanas with the best of modern steel allows, through more modern forging techniques.

As far as people not having an appreciation for old craftsmanship, I'm not sure if you mean to say that people don't care because they want the popular new thing to say that they have it, or don't want to be bothered with the inconveniences that may come with something that is old. I'd agree with both though. I would hope a good dose of existential philosophy would cure them of the 1st problem.

There's no point in stressing out over things that you have no control over, if you ask me. You can only do what you can do, and worrying about the things that you can't doesn't help.

No problem. English is a mutt language, taking on the grammar, vocabulary, etc from many disparate European languages over the centuries as well. I have heard it said that English and Chinese are both amongst the hardest languages to learn as a second language. Croatian, huh? I did figure that you were probably from somewhere in the Balkans when you mentioned that your parents had been through war. I have seen surplus Croatian PHP pistols for sale very affordably before. I very nearly picked one up. They're not lookers, but I haven't heard anything bad about their function.

Offline kr0_-

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 07:56:32 »

If you look for Alps, make sure the board looks pretty clean. I have gotten some that look terrible and the switches still felt good, but that's the exception to the rule. Dust and dirt are their Achilles heel, and if someone types on them for an extended period while dirty, cleaning them completely inside and out may not restore them to the same level of smoothness. SKCM white boards sell for a lot less than blues, but the blue Alps Leading Edge DC-2014 (AT layout, and needs a very specific sort of converter) can be had for less than $150 sometimes if you watch for deals. IBM Model Ms can be had for $40-50 left and right on Ebay, sometimes you can find Unicomps for even less than that, but membrane buckling spring isn't that great in my opinion, certainly doesn't hold a candle to capacitive buckling spring (Model Fs) and an F AT rarely goes for any less than $200 these days. You can find XTs (also need a Soarer or TMK converter) for a lot less, if you dig, but the layout is a bit too alien for most people. Model Fs, by contrast to boards with Alps switches, are basically immortal. NEC blue ovals are nice vintage switches too, and kind of under the radar for now, so you can get boards with those for well under $100 when you find them. This is another example of what I said before: box jades and navies are available new, you can put them in any MX board, with any MX caps, and they're not much worse than the best vintage switches (again, haven't felt beam springs).

I would try MX brown if I were you. I know there's a surprising number of people who do like them. They seem to have some strange allure to them for some, even people who don't think they feel very good. A lot of people seem to think that they type faster on them than with other switch types, and some tactile diehards even swear by them over other options, although they seem to be in the minority and may just be sticking mostly with what they know from years past, before the switch renaissance began.

I would say that I loved blue Alps so much that I wanted to try as many other variants as I could economically get my hands on, be it at a recycling place, or ordering a board online. So that really just means that they're the type of switch I have tried the most of besides MX and Kailh's box switches. I haven't looked much into custom Alps boards. I just know that only a few options are available for modern enthusiast PCBs. Supply and demand at work, since SKCM blues haven't been manufactured since the late 80s, maybe very early 90s. Matias switches still follow the Alps lineage, which means their caps and boards are compatible with the SKCM/SKCL series and later as well. They're another option to try, and I hope to try them myself some time if I find an old board for cheap, but I hear that they not only don't hold a candle to old Alps switches (as Alps continuously simplified their switches with time) but have had some reliability concerns.

Yup. There's so many great Youtube channels like that out there.

I wish I had more games for the SNES. We had a decent amount, more than for the 64, but it was mostly whatever we found at garage sales growing up. I didn't have a decent computer when CS came out, so I missed that boat. My FPS was Halo 2 on the Xbox. The weapon balance was perfect (besides the noob combo). If you couldn't aim, you would get destroyed, sometimes even if groups camped together (if they were bad enough).

Yeah, that's just how companies become profitable, finding that balance between niche and mainstream. If you're on the far end of mainstream your products had better be better and/or cheaper than everybody else's. If you're on the far end of niche, there won't be enough demand to even keep you afloat. If SKCM blues are resurrected, we'll see the Alps fortunes change.

Agreed. It is fascinating how the Japanese made some of the finest ancient steel with their own unique technique out of necessity, because the quality of their local iron was so poor to begin with. I agree on the cutting corners thing. Makes me think of those people who make modern katanas with the best of modern steel allows, through more modern forging techniques.

As far as people not having an appreciation for old craftsmanship, I'm not sure if you mean to say that people don't care because they want the popular new thing to say that they have it, or don't want to be bothered with the inconveniences that may come with something that is old. I'd agree with both though. I would hope a good dose of existential philosophy would cure them of the 1st problem.

There's no point in stressing out over things that you have no control over, if you ask me. You can only do what you can do, and worrying about the things that you can't doesn't help.

No problem. English is a mutt language, taking on the grammar, vocabulary, etc from many disparate European languages over the centuries as well. I have heard it said that English and Chinese are both amongst the hardest languages to learn as a second language. Croatian, huh? I did figure that you were probably from somewhere in the Balkans when you mentioned that your parents had been through war. I have seen surplus Croatian PHP pistols for sale very affordably before. I very nearly picked one up. They're not lookers, but I haven't heard anything bad about their function.

You made me look up so many of these keyboars right now :D there are a ot of rubber dome IBMs on ebay, which are cheap as you said, but I guess I have t go the a meeting to try out some if it's allowed or is it only looking at them?

Yeah they will be in my switch tester which I ordered but it takes sooo long to deliver it to me... damn corona! :/
As I said, I'm totally new so I wanna try as much as possible right know without getting poor by it :D

So the journey never ends, there is always some stuff you wanna try even though you are in the hobby for quite a time as I see!

Just watched "Top 10 worst switches" on Chyrosran... he's doing a great job by decribing and entertaining!

As I entertain PC Gamining I lost interess in console gaming, I loved cosonle for fun games but when it comes to FPS  thats a no go on consoles for me... it's my opinion! But as I said, if there was an opportinity to go play outside whatever sport it was I'd prefer it, gaming was the case when I was injured(quite a lot) or the wheater was so bad nobody whould join me - I was hardcore, could rain or snow I didn't care, just if there would be lightnings I was reasonable enough to let it be.

Some good thing about the streamers is, as you said, can get tons of people to this niche and maybe time changes and the request of those switches increses so may I company try to rebuild these ... if it's posisble.

I meant both! you're totally right!

Oh yeah, learnt it pretty fast after trying. Let them do whatever they want, there's no point they will listen, because meanwhile I feel like everybody things his opinion is the one everybody wants to hear - so all the people talk and nobody listens... sad thing! That's why I like listen to old people and their stories, you just can learn from them and they like to talk anyway because life gets boring or always the same in late ages I guess.

I don't now, was lucky to been raised with two languages,which are heavily different to each other. Seeing some parts of my family fighting with it because they never leanred it properly. Then I picked up 3 more languages but almost forgot all of these by not speaking it anymore.
Yeah my uncle had (or still has Idk) a Croatian PHP. He had an old VW Golf II and used to clip out the lightning on the roof part and hid it there :D
ANother had an AK47 and shot half the street down in front of his house... being drunk..I guess...and almost lost his hand to a granate as a kid..

Edit: found this one https://www.ebay.de/itm/Steampunk-Tastatur-Keyboard-einzigartig-handbuilt-massive-brass-leather-custom/153871352766?hash=item23d37283be:g:4UkAAOSwxbtZoTmB .. looks sick af!

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 08:49:01 »
You made me look up so many of these keyboars right now :D there are a ot of rubber dome IBMs on ebay, which are cheap as you said, but I guess I have t go the a meeting to try out some if it's allowed or is it only looking at them?

Yeah they will be in my switch tester which I ordered but it takes sooo long to deliver it to me... damn corona! :/
As I said, I'm totally new so I wanna try as much as possible right know without getting poor by it :D

So the journey never ends, there is always some stuff you wanna try even though you are in the hobby for quite a time as I see!

Just watched "Top 10 worst switches" on Chyrosran... he's doing a great job by decribing and entertaining!

As I entertain PC Gamining I lost interess in console gaming, I loved cosonle for fun games but when it comes to FPS  thats a no go on consoles for me... it's my opinion! But as I said, if there was an opportinity to go play outside whatever sport it was I'd prefer it, gaming was the case when I was injured(quite a lot) or the wheater was so bad nobody whould join me - I was hardcore, could rain or snow I didn't care, just if there would be lightnings I was reasonable enough to let it be.

Some good thing about the streamers is, as you said, can get tons of people to this niche and maybe time changes and the request of those switches increses so may I company try to rebuild these ... if it's posisble.

I meant both! you're totally right!

Oh yeah, learnt it pretty fast after trying. Let them do whatever they want, there's no point they will listen, because meanwhile I feel like everybody things his opinion is the one everybody wants to hear - so all the people talk and nobody listens... sad thing! That's why I like listen to old people and their stories, you just can learn from them and they like to talk anyway because life gets boring or always the same in late ages I guess.

I don't now, was lucky to been raised with two languages,which are heavily different to each other. Seeing some parts of my family fighting with it because they never leanred it properly. Then I picked up 3 more languages but almost forgot all of these by not speaking it anymore.
Yeah my uncle had (or still has Idk) a Croatian PHP. He had an old VW Golf II and used to clip out the lightning on the roof part and hid it there :D
ANother had an AK47 and shot half the street down in front of his house... being drunk..I guess...and almost lost his hand to a granate as a kid..

Edit: found this one https://www.ebay.de/itm/Steampunk-Tastatur-Keyboard-einzigartig-handbuilt-massive-brass-leather-custom/153871352766?hash=item23d37283be:g:4UkAAOSwxbtZoTmB .. looks sick af!

Yeah, for mechanicals from IBM you would mostly be looking at the Model M and F, there are exceptions to that, but not many. Most of their boards are rubber dome, especially most things made by the mid 90s, as they passed off M production to Lexmark, and then it passed to Unicomp. Likewise, the M was already a cost-cutting redesign of the Model F. I think the whole point of those meets is to both meet up with like-minded keyboard fanatics, and to try to pool as many cool boards together as possible so that people can try everything. Maybe some are different though.

Same, and that's always the catch. A lot of switches aren't very accessible. I ordered a 130 switch tester from KPrepublic on January 8th. A few days later they informed me that it was actually out of stock and that it probably would not be back in stock for at least a month because of Chinese New Year. Chinese New Year came and went, and then Corona happened. It finally shipped on March 16th, it sat in Chinese customs purgatory for over a month. Now the tracking says that it has been in Chicago for the past 8 days with no updates.

Yeah, those top 10 videos are great. You've probably never even heard of most of them, and most people have never and will never see them in person. He hunts down, and is donated, a lot of obscure switches.

No, I agree. I just couldn't afford to play games to the same level of detail and performance on pc as I could console. Whatever computers I did have were always bottom-of-the-barrel and/or cobbled together frankenrigs from hand-me-down parts. I still look back fondly on disassembling the cooling shroud on a GTX 260 so I could fit the thing into the PCIE x16 slot in a Dell Dimension E520 (Dell was cramming BTX down our throats then) and attaching it to the rear IO with a zip tie, sticking a bunch of mixmaster RAM sticks in there, and a red LED power supply. When you can afford something capable, PCs are better in literally every way other than convenience/configuration. For the odd game that plays better with a controller you can just plug in a controller.

I always loved going out in lightning myself. If there's ever thunder and lightning with no rain, I like to drive around with my sunroof down and blare metal. lol

Yes, here's to hoping. The market has made great progress in innovating in the past few years. For most of the 90s, and up until a few years ago, Cherry MX, and its many clones, have basically been the dominant force in the market. I'm glad we've finally got some alternatives that aren't even based on the MX design, with more on the way.

Well, that's certainly a problem, especially when talking is done merely for talking's sake. "Hey, how are you?" "Did you see xyz on tv last night?" "It is going to rain this weekend". The elderly certainly can have great stories, I agree. I had the pleasure of talking to a local WWII veteran once who described his involvement in the failed Japanese invasion of the Aleutian Islands (off of Alaska). I hadn't even heard of such a thing at the time, and I was an ardent reader of the events of WWII. I think it was before the U.S. government declassified that such a thing took place. He was a pilot who was shot down, crashed his plane on one of the islands and still had shrapnel in his leg from it (I spoke to him during a school visit to a local VA hospital).

Your uncle sounds resourceful, lol. I have some AR-15s, no Aks, unfortunately. It would have to be semi auto anyway, unless I were filthy rich, because of the Hughes Amendment. I hope he didn't commonly drink and handle firearms at the same time.

Yeah, I love that oldschool typewriter look. You might want to look at the Azio Retro Classic keyboards if you'd like something similar without spending enough to buy a used car. I don't particularly like the switches in them though myself. Clickies similar to Cherry MX blue, but worse.

Offline kr0_-

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 09:46:14 »

Yeah, for mechanicals from IBM you would mostly be looking at the Model M and F, there are exceptions to that, but not many. Most of their boards are rubber dome, especially most things made by the mid 90s, as they passed off M production to Lexmark, and then it passed to Unicomp. Likewise, the M was already a cost-cutting redesign of the Model F. I think the whole point of those meets is to both meet up with like-minded keyboard fanatics, and to try to pool as many cool boards together as possible so that people can try everything. Maybe some are different though.

Same, and that's always the catch. A lot of switches aren't very accessible. I ordered a 130 switch tester from KPrepublic on January 8th. A few days later they informed me that it was actually out of stock and that it probably would not be back in stock for at least a month because of Chinese New Year. Chinese New Year came and went, and then Corona happened. It finally shipped on March 16th, it sat in Chinese customs purgatory for over a month. Now the tracking says that it has been in Chicago for the past 8 days with no updates.

Yeah, those top 10 videos are great. You've probably never even heard of most of them, and most people have never and will never see them in person. He hunts down, and is donated, a lot of obscure switches.

No, I agree. I just couldn't afford to play games to the same level of detail and performance on pc as I could console. Whatever computers I did have were always bottom-of-the-barrel and/or cobbled together frankenrigs from hand-me-down parts. I still look back fondly on disassembling the cooling shroud on a GTX 260 so I could fit the thing into the PCIE x16 slot in a Dell Dimension E520 (Dell was cramming BTX down our throats then) and attaching it to the rear IO with a zip tie, sticking a bunch of mixmaster RAM sticks in there, and a red LED power supply. When you can afford something capable, PCs are better in literally every way other than convenience/configuration. For the odd game that plays better with a controller you can just plug in a controller.

I always loved going out in lightning myself. If there's ever thunder and lightning with no rain, I like to drive around with my sunroof down and blare metal. lol

Yes, here's to hoping. The market has made great progress in innovating in the past few years. For most of the 90s, and up until a few years ago, Cherry MX, and its many clones, have basically been the dominant force in the market. I'm glad we've finally got some alternatives that aren't even based on the MX design, with more on the way.

Well, that's certainly a problem, especially when talking is done merely for talking's sake. "Hey, how are you?" "Did you see xyz on tv last night?" "It is going to rain this weekend". The elderly certainly can have great stories, I agree. I had the pleasure of talking to a local WWII veteran once who described his involvement in the failed Japanese invasion of the Aleutian Islands (off of Alaska). I hadn't even heard of such a thing at the time, and I was an ardent reader of the events of WWII. I think it was before the U.S. government declassified that such a thing took place. He was a pilot who was shot down, crashed his plane on one of the islands and still had shrapnel in his leg from it (I spoke to him during a school visit to a local VA hospital).

Your uncle sounds resourceful, lol. I have some AR-15s, no Aks, unfortunately. It would have to be semi auto anyway, unless I were filthy rich, because of the Hughes Amendment. I hope he didn't commonly drink and handle firearms at the same time.

Yeah, I love that oldschool typewriter look. You might want to look at the Azio Retro Classic keyboards if you'd like something similar without spending enough to buy a used car. I don't particularly like the switches in them though myself. Clickies similar to Cherry MX blue, but worse.

So I should go there and try some of those old ones!

Oh sh**... 130 switches nice! but than all this happend to be... damn! A test on your patience! :) But I thought about coming to LA one time, got family there and then combine it with a meeting, guess it's much bigger there and a lot of stuff you can't hands on easly in EU is more common over there!

Yeah didn't know 90% of them! but at first the joke with the mx brown for the meme I guess :D

Hahah sounds fun... your configuration :D Yeah love pcs, you can always combine things and make them work!

I know that feeling.. just the pure power/ force of the nature, it's so nice and amazing but dangerous! Somewhere close one dude died while playing outside in the storm, so I kinda went less risky. Anyway I would be mostly alone playing in such conditions outside.

Wow nice story! That's what I like listen to. My dad had some nice stories too, but no to compare to the only got telled. My uncle still has 2 bullets near his spine, too risky to get out they say, he's a veteran in young ages.

No he lives in a small village in the hills, so it was more of a celebration shooting instead of beeing angry... but nithing I would recommend to anyone. Uneducated and so on...

Oh thanks for the info.. looking nice! just liked it for the look, if there are modern switches its only for the look!

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 11:52:20 »
So I should go there and try some of those old ones!

Oh sh**... 130 switches nice! but than all this happend to be... damn! A test on your patience! :) But I thought about coming to LA one time, got family there and then combine it with a meeting, guess it's much bigger there and a lot of stuff you can't hands on easly in EU is more common over there!

Yeah didn't know 90% of them! but at first the joke with the mx brown for the meme I guess :D

Hahah sounds fun... your configuration :D Yeah love pcs, you can always combine things and make them work!

I know that feeling.. just the pure power/ force of the nature, it's so nice and amazing but dangerous! Somewhere close one dude died while playing outside in the storm, so I kinda went less risky. Anyway I would be mostly alone playing in such conditions outside.

Wow nice story! That's what I like listen to. My dad had some nice stories too, but no to compare to the only got telled. My uncle still has 2 bullets near his spine, too risky to get out they say, he's a veteran in young ages.

No he lives in a small village in the hills, so it was more of a celebration shooting instead of beeing angry... but nithing I would recommend to anyone. Uneducated and so on...

Oh thanks for the info.. looking nice! just liked it for the look, if there are modern switches its only for the look!

Yes, I really would love to go to a meet some time too, if I ever find a local one.

Yes, 130, but a lot of them seem like unnecessary repeats of switches so similar that they may as well not even be involved. I figure I'll pull those out and supplant them with some of the more boutique switches that are not included over time. I have been to LA, although I was barely old enough to remember it. I also have family in that area. The EU just needs more exposure to the glory that is mechanical keyboards.

I love all of the MX brown jokes. I hope people who actually like them don't mind too much.

That computer is long gone. That configuration could just barely run vanilla Skyrim on max with mostly playable frames ... with a Core 2 Duo, so it isn't like that was an ideal configuration. Currently I'm still using the first rig I could afford to build for myself out of entirely new parts. It started with an i5-3570k, 8GB of DDR3 2133, a GTX 760, and a 1TB WD black. I built it way back in 2013-2014-ish I think, with money I made doing a clinical trial. It currently has an i7-3770 that I picked up out of a bucket of CPUs for $7 at a scrapyard, 16GB of DDR3 2133, a GTX 1070, a 1TB SSD, a 6TB WD black, and a 2TB WD black. What sort of rig have you got at the moment?

I think of it in terms of probability. What are the odds that you'll be struck by lightning, even if you go out in it with abandon? I think it is pretty low so long as you're not hugging flag poles, etc. In a car, in particular, it is probably most likely to strike the frame and dissipate into the ground through the tires as well. Not that anybody necessarily should be ignoring the dangers.

I think any harrowing story is comparable based on its contents. I don't know that WWII necessary makes an individual story any more or less interesting. It gives more weight to the story, of course, because of how important that conflict was throughout the globe, but a harrowing experience is still a harrowing experience. I'm glad both your uncle and father made it through their experiences.

I never implied that he was angry, I just know that I have been around enough drunk people to know that they should not be armed. Not just for the safety of others, but for themselves as well. Care should always be taken in the handling of firearms, and care cannot be taken while inebriated.

Yeah, although I think any keyboard with a retro typewriter look like that will be a modern design, with modern switches. Another consideration is a lot of people don't seem to like those sort of keycaps when it comes to actually typing on them, and some say that it just takes some getting used to. I haven't typed on them for long periods, but I could see how some people may not like them.

Offline kr0_-

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 14:51:18 »

Yes, I really would love to go to a meet some time too, if I ever find a local one.

Yes, 130, but a lot of them seem like unnecessary repeats of switches so similar that they may as well not even be involved. I figure I'll pull those out and supplant them with some of the more boutique switches that are not included over time. I have been to LA, although I was barely old enough to remember it. I also have family in that area. The EU just needs more exposure to the glory that is mechanical keyboards.

I love all of the MX brown jokes. I hope people who actually like them don't mind too much.

That computer is long gone. That configuration could just barely run vanilla Skyrim on max with mostly playable frames ... with a Core 2 Duo, so it isn't like that was an ideal configuration. Currently I'm still using the first rig I could afford to build for myself out of entirely new parts. It started with an i5-3570k, 8GB of DDR3 2133, a GTX 760, and a 1TB WD black. I built it way back in 2013-2014-ish I think, with money I made doing a clinical trial. It currently has an i7-3770 that I picked up out of a bucket of CPUs for $7 at a scrapyard, 16GB of DDR3 2133, a GTX 1070, a 1TB SSD, a 6TB WD black, and a 2TB WD black. What sort of rig have you got at the moment?

I think of it in terms of probability. What are the odds that you'll be struck by lightning, even if you go out in it with abandon? I think it is pretty low so long as you're not hugging flag poles, etc. In a car, in particular, it is probably most likely to strike the frame and dissipate into the ground through the tires as well. Not that anybody necessarily should be ignoring the dangers.

I think any harrowing story is comparable based on its contents. I don't know that WWII necessary makes an individual story any more or less interesting. It gives more weight to the story, of course, because of how important that conflict was throughout the globe, but a harrowing experience is still a harrowing experience. I'm glad both your uncle and father made it through their experiences.

I never implied that he was angry, I just know that I have been around enough drunk people to know that they should not be armed. Not just for the safety of others, but for themselves as well. Care should always be taken in the handling of firearms, and care cannot be taken while inebriated.

Yeah, although I think any keyboard with a retro typewriter look like that will be a modern design, with modern switches. Another consideration is a lot of people don't seem to like those sort of keycaps when it comes to actually typing on them, and some say that it just takes some getting used to. I haven't typed on them for long periods, but I could see how some people may not like them.

Wow, my testers came today - so wierd to feel some other switches but cant put them inside my keyboard without breaking it, thats what it feels like. But wow.. all those different sounds and feelings are wonderfull! But can't decide which is the best so far, need to take a better look at them.

Haha my first build was pretty similiar, same cpu, same rams, only a 660gtx. probably at the same time. About 2 years ago I got a new one with a i7 8700k slightly OC'd with, deliedded cpu - now on liquid metal, 32gb of 3000 ddr4, a 1080 tgx, 3 ssd's. should be enough for the next 8 years! some cable management done a a led strip inside w- got a windowed case. Looks fine for me :)

Yeah thats what I though aswell :D But it wanst fun alone in the rain with a ball at least not for hours :D

True words - they can tell you how it was and maybe smile about now but in that moment it was no fun at all. Happy they made it, true!
Still love listen to these stories even if they repeat them!

Yes absolutly right, but he  lives there alone, got no family anymore, no wife and kids, one brother but far away... no real job.. a sad life tbh. Made some tries to help but ,as we spoke before about, the don't want the help or don't appriciate it - so let them do their own thing!

haha zeah , seeing them struggle and after 2 min. trying just stopping - because it's not that easy as writing with a smartphone or a toughdisplay or even just sendig voice mails...

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 15:52:55 »
Wow, my testers came today - so wierd to feel some other switches but cant put them inside my keyboard without breaking it, thats what it feels like. But wow.. all those different sounds and feelings are wonderfull! But can't decide which is the best so far, need to take a better look at them.

Haha my first build was pretty similiar, same cpu, same rams, only a 660gtx. probably at the same time. About 2 years ago I got a new one with a i7 8700k slightly OC'd with, deliedded cpu - now on liquid metal, 32gb of 3000 ddr4, a 1080 tgx, 3 ssd's. should be enough for the next 8 years! some cable management done a a led strip inside w- got a windowed case. Looks fine for me :)

Yeah thats what I though aswell :D But it wanst fun alone in the rain with a ball at least not for hours :D

True words - they can tell you how it was and maybe smile about now but in that moment it was no fun at all. Happy they made it, true!
Still love listen to these stories even if they repeat them!

Yes absolutly right, but he  lives there alone, got no family anymore, no wife and kids, one brother but far away... no real job.. a sad life tbh. Made some tries to help but ,as we spoke before about, the don't want the help or don't appriciate it - so let them do their own thing!

haha zeah , seeing them struggle and after 2 min. trying just stopping - because it's not that easy as writing with a smartphone or a toughdisplay or even just sendig voice mails...

Yeah, that's where hot swap keyboards can come in handy. The sound can be pretty different too just based on what sort of keyboard you put it in, and how that keyboard is constructed, be it materials, internal volume, etc.

Yeah, that's a great CPU and way more RAM than you're going to run out of for a long time. Just going to need GPU upgrades over the years. Did you do the LED strip yourself, or is it one of those RGB strips controlled by the computer?

Absolutely, stories like that never get old.

Some people, ironically often those who need it most, just can't be helped unfortunately. I know that from experience.

Well, I don't think I would go that far myself. Anything is better than having to use a touch screen.

Offline kr0_-

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 20:17:05 »

Yeah, that's where hot swap keyboards can come in handy. The sound can be pretty different too just based on what sort of keyboard you put it in, and how that keyboard is constructed, be it materials, internal volume, etc.

Yeah, that's a great CPU and way more RAM than you're going to run out of for a long time. Just going to need GPU upgrades over the years. Did you do the LED strip yourself, or is it one of those RGB strips controlled by the computer?

Absolutely, stories like that never get old.

Some people, ironically often those who need it most, just can't be helped unfortunately. I know that from experience.

Well, I don't think I would go that far myself. Anything is better than having to use a touch screen.

A true mk would be nice, doesn't matter if its hotswapble or not just tried some soldering on a usb cable, it's fun and not that hard. Soldering switches should be even easier!
I want first of all a nice thick one, Alu, bit steel or brass plate and weight - later maybe trying a carbon plate or even the case, it's softer and more silent they say.

Yeah had 16gb and was adding some fans and the gpu lately and thought about why not, were still cheap and I thought corono gonna bring the prices up in the sky for an amount of time, but can't go wrong with toooo much ram :D Its a regular bought rgb strip with magnets to be easily fixed in position by them. But now after getting into technics more and more I'm gonna mayeb some day trie out building one on my own. Did you make some?

Everybody has his own problem/s and it's hard to get rid of them, mostly you just don't want to mention it instead of trying, but yeah know what you mean!

I hate touch screens... when this smartphone century began I was like.. where can I get a smartphone with full qwerty or qwertz(german) hardware keyboard to flip out. So I ordered some from the US because the was still a bigger market had to modify the software a bit or I don't know anymore ...it's been a while, but still missing them. Had to switch to this new stuff because it could handle the new updates anymore :( Loved typing on the mobile phones earlier.. now... i can't stand it.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 20:36:44 »
A true mk would be nice, doesn't matter if its hotswapble or not just tried some soldering on a usb cable, it's fun and not that hard. Soldering switches should be even easier!
I want first of all a nice thick one, Alu, bit steel or brass plate and weight - later maybe trying a carbon plate or even the case, it's softer and more silent they say.

Yeah had 16gb and was adding some fans and the gpu lately and thought about why not, were still cheap and I thought corono gonna bring the prices up in the sky for an amount of time, but can't go wrong with toooo much ram :D Its a regular bought rgb strip with magnets to be easily fixed in position by them. But now after getting into technics more and more I'm gonna mayeb some day trie out building one on my own. Did you make some?

Everybody has his own problem/s and it's hard to get rid of them, mostly you just don't want to mention it instead of trying, but yeah know what you mean!

I hate touch screens... when this smartphone century began I was like.. where can I get a smartphone with full qwerty or qwertz(german) hardware keyboard to flip out. So I ordered some from the US because the was still a bigger market had to modify the software a bit or I don't know anymore ...it's been a while, but still missing them. Had to switch to this new stuff because it could handle the new updates anymore :( Loved typing on the mobile phones earlier.. now... i can't stand it.

I see hot swap as a nice thing for testing how switches will feel and sound in a real keyboard, vs a tester, because the experience between the two will be very different, and then you can also use it to test different combinations of switches (some people like to have different switches for the modifier keys, etc), and/or easily test modifications to switches, like spring weights, etc.

Absolutely. soldering with switches is cake, just be sure not to overheat the pads by holding the iron on melted solder for longer than you need to. You also want to be sure not to try to pull switches and/or yank on anything still attached by solder to a contact until you're sure it is fully melted or removed.

Steel and aluminum plates can be a bit pingy, which I actually like in certain circumstances myself. Brass, plastics, and carbon fiber are supposed to be deeper/more muted, yeah. I'll have to play with that a bit myself. I'm pretty sure everything I have ever had has had an aluminum or steel plate, if it even had a plate, since it is mostly old tanks of boards.

RGB fans? I think mine will all be RGB when I build the next one, not for the dumb rainbow colors so much as being able to have it react to music. Yeah, I can wait myself when it comes to prices. I have a Dell XPS 720 chassis to ATX mod, and customize to my liking, before I can even start building in it anyway. The i7-3770 still plays games on max just fine in 1920x1080, so I'm in no hurry.

I have seen those magnetic strips. I think it is a great idea, and might actually get some of those when I build mine, although I also plan to adapt the 720's original RGB LEDs (yeah, a case from 2008-ish had software-controlled RGB LEDs). I have custom wired some. Pretty easy when you can just buy 12v LED strips by the role, cut them how you like them, solder them together, and rig up a wire to run to the power supply's 12v rail, I usually hack up old molex fan adapters. I have built and sold a few custom computers for a little cash.

I think there have been some smart phones with physical keyboards. Somebody was working on a modern Android flip phone or something, weren't they? LG maybe? I was never really a fan of texting either to begin with, although a physical keyboard would be a major improvement. Having to just use two fingers seems like a major inefficiency.

Offline kr0_-

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 21:14:46 »

I see hot swap as a nice thing for testing how switches will feel and sound in a real keyboard, vs a tester, because the experience between the two will be very different, and then you can also use it to test different combinations of switches (some people like to have different switches for the modifier keys, etc), and/or easily test modifications to switches, like spring weights, etc.

Absolutely. soldering with switches is cake, just be sure not to overheat the pads by holding the iron on melted solder for longer than you need to. You also want to be sure not to try to pull switches and/or yank on anything still attached by solder to a contact until you're sure it is fully melted or removed.

Steel and aluminum plates can be a bit pingy, which I actually like in certain circumstances myself. Brass, plastics, and carbon fiber are supposed to be deeper/more muted, yeah. I'll have to play with that a bit myself. I'm pretty sure everything I have ever had has had an aluminum or steel plate, if it even had a plate, since it is mostly old tanks of boards.

RGB fans? I think mine will all be RGB when I build the next one, not for the dumb rainbow colors so much as being able to have it react to music. Yeah, I can wait myself when it comes to prices. I have a Dell XPS 720 chassis to ATX mod, and customize to my liking, before I can even start building in it anyway. The i7-3770 still plays games on max just fine in 1920x1080, so I'm in no hurry.

I have seen those magnetic strips. I think it is a great idea, and might actually get some of those when I build mine, although I also plan to adapt the 720's original RGB LEDs (yeah, a case from 2008-ish had software-controlled RGB LEDs). I have custom wired some. Pretty easy when you can just buy 12v LED strips by the role, cut them how you like them, solder them together, and rig up a wire to run to the power supply's 12v rail, I usually hack up old molex fan adapters. I have built and sold a few custom computers for a little cash.

I think there have been some smart phones with physical keyboards. Somebody was working on a modern Android flip phone or something, weren't they? LG maybe? I was never really a fan of texting either to begin with, although a physical keyboard would be a major improvement. Having to just use two fingers seems like a major inefficiency.

I saw an upcoming group buy with a small wireless and hotswapable keyboard, thinking on gettin on it, cause it's not that expensive and would be as you said a nice thin to test switches with!

Think I'm gonna have no probs with putting the keyboards together, the money will be the problem :D Okay so maybe it shoukld be a brass plate then for a bigger keyboard, but filling it up with foam would help too, if it's too loud.
No just silent fans from bequiet even though the rgb fans look sick, but the strip I got is just on red and matches the color of the gpu and mainboard , because they got rgb too, but dont use it, all red, that's fine! Yeah the cpu is  nice, mine was too, but had to switch the platform. Wanted to sell my old one to a good friend but then he didn't want anymore. so I got 2 pc's, could stream easily now :D
Yeah the old stuff got some features insiode, we never used and nowadays it's trendy... but it's the same for almost everything.. we all buy smartphones which are better then most of the laptops at home but just use it to it's minimum, texting, calling and a bit surfing and okaa.. taking pictures which is usefull often.
Haha nice job.. being creative works! I took some old fans I had and wired them together  on an USB cable and use them on hot sommer days or for soldering reasons :D

When was that? I was watching in forums for some new stuff, even a guy wanted to build himself a new phone by combiing a good physical keyboard to a newer generation smartphone, but it would be too pricey at the end. He could it build himself but in large numbers it wasnt possible due to taxes and stuff like that.. patents and so on.
after that there were some balckberries but their keyboard was fixed below the screen and therefor not really big.. the old ones I used to have had the keyboards underneath the sreen, so you rotated the phone 90 degree clockwise and flipped the keyboard out. There was no clicking on the text field and waiting for the digital keyboard to appear, just flipping and wirting with nice feedback! miss them days!
I used to text blind all the time, just using  both thumbs. was so easy! Now... damn I hate it... even swipe typing sucks...

Offline kr0_-

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 21:16:56 »

I saw an upcoming group buy with a small wireless and hotswapable keyboard, thinking on gettin on it, cause it's not that expensive and would be as you said a nice thin to test switches with!

Think I'm gonna have no probs with putting the keyboards together, the money will be the problem :D Okay so maybe it shoukld be a brass plate then for a bigger keyboard, but filling it up with foam would help too, if it's too loud.
No just silent fans from bequiet even though the rgb fans look sick, but the strip I got is just on red and matches the color of the gpu and mainboard , because they got rgb too, but dont use it, all red, that's fine! Yeah the cpu is  nice, mine was too, but had to switch the platform. Wanted to sell my old one to a good friend but then he didn't want anymore. so I got 2 pc's, could stream easily now :D
Yeah the old stuff got some features insiode, we never used and nowadays it's trendy... but it's the same for almost everything.. we all buy smartphones which are better then most of the laptops at home but just use it to it's minimum, texting, calling and a bit surfing and okaa.. taking pictures which is usefull often.
Haha nice job.. being creative works! I took some old fans I had and wired them together  on an USB cable and use them on hot sommer days or for soldering reasons :D

When was that? I was watching in forums for some new stuff, even a guy wanted to build himself a new phone by combiing a good physical keyboard to a newer generation smartphone, but it would be too pricey at the end. He could it build himself but in large numbers it wasnt possible due to taxes and stuff like that.. patents and so on.
after that there were some balckberries but their keyboard was fixed below the screen and therefor not really big.. the old ones I used to have had the keyboards underneath the sreen, so you rotated the phone 90 degree clockwise and flipped the keyboard out. There was no clicking on the text field and waiting for the digital keyboard to appear, just flipping and wirting with nice feedback! miss them days!
I used to text blind all the time, just using  both thumbs. was so easy! Now... damn I hate it... even swipe typing sucks...

Edit: oh saw there is a GB of holy pandas ... don't know if I should join, later on they go up with the price again and a lot of people say it's a good tactile switch. but I even dont have a board yet so I don't know

Offline kr0_-

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 21:21:03 »

Edit: oh saw there is a GB of holy pandas ... don't know if I should join, later on they go up with the price again and a lot of people say it's a good tactile switch. but I even dont have a board yet so I don't know and there is nowhere a numpad available ..

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 23:30:00 »

Edit: oh saw there is a GB of holy pandas ... don't know if I should join, later on they go up with the price again and a lot of people say it's a good tactile switch. but I even dont have a board yet so I don't know

If you see features you like, yeah, might as well. I wish I had tried to get one sooner. Now who knows when the parts will ever even enter the U.S.

One thing that seems to bother people about brass is that it is pretty rigid. Apparently that's uncomfortable for their fingers when they bottom out. I can't conceive of how that is, maybe they're just using really light linears or something and/or weren't used to their minuscule weight when they tried them or something. Something to keep in mind. I'm already used to really thick steel and aluminum, so brass sounded just right to me. Yeah, people swear by some sort of dampener in the case. I like my boards as loud as possible, but that's for clickies.

Bequiet makes some good fans. I think I have ordered some in the past. I put some Noctuas in some original Xbox consoles recently to take care of the ridiculous whir of the original CPU fans in them. Most of my K70s have Red LEDs, my computer case is filled with red LEDs and red LED fans.

I think people actually did love and use those LEDs in the XPS 600 and 700 series computers, if they could afford them. A lot of those systems started at $4,000-$5,000 when new. Dell released a plugin for Windows Media Player that made the LEDs react to the audio playing and people seemed to really like it.

What did you need to switch platforms for? I have recommended that repeatedly to a friend myself. Everybody worries about fancy/expensive capture devices, might as well have a dedicated computer to handle it, it is going to be a lot more capable than that standalone crap.

Are phone CPUs getting that powerful? I know Apple's latest ARM cpus in their highest-end iPads are kind of competing with mobile Intel i7s from a few generations ago in terms of synthetic benchmarks. My phone is still a Galaxy S5, since I like having the IR blaster, and it is just as responsive as something brand new with Lineage OS.

I have thought about doing the same thing, USB fans. DIY fume extractor, huh? Good idea. I have done way more soldering than I should have without any significant airflow. I have been running a ceiling fan when I can.

I could have sworn there were newer ones (maybe they got canceled), but here:

https://www.phonerated.com/smart_flip_phones-listbycat

What I miss most is having to flip the phone open in order to have any access to it. I hate how things can be activated in your pocket with "smart" phones, even if you manually lock it first. I also miss how the battery would last all week, or longer. I browse so little on my phone that I could conceivably go back, but that IR blaster really comes in handy at work to turn on random things mounted on the ceiling with no remote.

People seem to gush about those switches. If it is a good price, you might want to go for it. Last few times I checked box jades and navies, they were sold out everywhere I looked, so I'm glad I stockpiled some extras.

Offline kr0_-

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 08:13:32 »

If you see features you like, yeah, might as well. I wish I had tried to get one sooner. Now who knows when the parts will ever even enter the U.S.

One thing that seems to bother people about brass is that it is pretty rigid. Apparently that's uncomfortable for their fingers when they bottom out. I can't conceive of how that is, maybe they're just using really light linears or something and/or weren't used to their minuscule weight when they tried them or something. Something to keep in mind. I'm already used to really thick steel and aluminum, so brass sounded just right to me. Yeah, people swear by some sort of dampener in the case. I like my boards as loud as possible, but that's for clickies.

Bequiet makes some good fans. I think I have ordered some in the past. I put some Noctuas in some original Xbox consoles recently to take care of the ridiculous whir of the original CPU fans in them. Most of my K70s have Red LEDs, my computer case is filled with red LEDs and red LED fans.

I think people actually did love and use those LEDs in the XPS 600 and 700 series computers, if they could afford them. A lot of those systems started at $4,000-$5,000 when new. Dell released a plugin for Windows Media Player that made the LEDs react to the audio playing and people seemed to really like it.

What did you need to switch platforms for? I have recommended that repeatedly to a friend myself. Everybody worries about fancy/expensive capture devices, might as well have a dedicated computer to handle it, it is going to be a lot more capable than that standalone crap.

Are phone CPUs getting that powerful? I know Apple's latest ARM cpus in their highest-end iPads are kind of competing with mobile Intel i7s from a few generations ago in terms of synthetic benchmarks. My phone is still a Galaxy S5, since I like having the IR blaster, and it is just as responsive as something brand new with Lineage OS.

I have thought about doing the same thing, USB fans. DIY fume extractor, huh? Good idea. I have done way more soldering than I should have without any significant airflow. I have been running a ceiling fan when I can.

I could have sworn there were newer ones (maybe they got canceled), but here:

https://www.phonerated.com/smart_flip_phones-listbycat

What I miss most is having to flip the phone open in order to have any access to it. I hate how things can be activated in your pocket with "smart" phones, even if you manually lock it first. I also miss how the battery would last all week, or longer. I browse so little on my phone that I could conceivably go back, but that IR blaster really comes in handy at work to turn on random things mounted on the ceiling with no remote.

People seem to gush about those switches. If it is a good price, you might want to go for it. Last few times I checked box jades and navies, they were sold out everywhere I looked, so I'm glad I stockpiled some extras.

Yeah, have to give it a try.

I don't know typing but typing on my current board, qhich isn't flexible either. doesn't bother me. Well I never had the opportunity to test any other board with any kind of plate, so it will be a change anyway -  so why not start by the most rigid one :)

Yeah noctua and bequiet are pretty good, hab some be quiet already inside thats why I chose to take them. I took some LED strips, well they are not  strip more like pipes with one flat side, and taped them on the back of my screens, so I got some nice ambi-lightening.

It's a fun feature to have your lights connected to music but I never had the need for it, don't know. Too much action destroys a calm atmosphere.

At first I just wanted to get a new CPU then a GPU, so watched for whats up on the market, I realized that my case was too meshy and all the dust came in easily, so there was a thrid part to change. then I decided to buy a new system. But all of this was just a thing because that friend wanted to buy my old one...which he didn't....

Yeah some of the newer chips got 8 cores with 2.8 ghz I think (Huawei). Mine has 4 cores with over 2ghhz per core -  I feel this is incredible fast for such a small thing. I also just change them until they won't work anymore.

Yeah if you got some old fans just do it... totally worth it.. 5 mins of work. Pointing them towards the window and done, maybe a could make a frame for them to fit in, now its just a solo fan and a double one, hanging lose together on a wire.

Ah no not these, don't like them that much. HTC Desire Z (until 2010 produced) was one I got after this they announced "HTC is reportedly done with physical keypads and will instead focus on better on-screen keypad technology - in 2012"
After that I imported a Motorola Photon Q from the states, because there was no on the EU market -  had to configure it to function here because of the network and stuff. After this one there was only blackberries I was a bit interested in, but there was just like 2 options and heavly expensive with a bad chip and camera in comparison to the new touchscreen keyboard smnartphones :( And the same one again was just too bad, didn't handle the newest andriod versions and was too lame and slow, sadly.

Yeah the battery life was so nice back then and the screens were smaller, so I had no problems to reach with my right hand to the top left corner without rejusting my hand on the phone. And I loved physical buttons, wanted to feel what I pressed - feel the same now with rubberdomes e.g. or the super light switches I got now and the ones on the switch tester. Mine here .. I often press just by moving over them.. hate it!
AND I think back then people just talked more to each other in person instead of watching on their screens all day and running against trees..
Okay I see, that IR is a nice feature, but I guess there won't be any new phone with this feature.

Yeah the GB is live 2 more weeks, but maybe I just should buy them. So if I got a case to build, I don't have to worry about switches anymore!

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 14:19:35 »
Yeah, have to give it a try.

I don't know typing but typing on my current board, qhich isn't flexible either. doesn't bother me. Well I never had the opportunity to test any other board with any kind of plate, so it will be a change anyway -  so why not start by the most rigid one :)

Yeah noctua and bequiet are pretty good, hab some be quiet already inside thats why I chose to take them. I took some LED strips, well they are not  strip more like pipes with one flat side, and taped them on the back of my screens, so I got some nice ambi-lightening.

It's a fun feature to have your lights connected to music but I never had the need for it, don't know. Too much action destroys a calm atmosphere.

At first I just wanted to get a new CPU then a GPU, so watched for whats up on the market, I realized that my case was too meshy and all the dust came in easily, so there was a thrid part to change. then I decided to buy a new system. But all of this was just a thing because that friend wanted to buy my old one...which he didn't....

Yeah some of the newer chips got 8 cores with 2.8 ghz I think (Huawei). Mine has 4 cores with over 2ghhz per core -  I feel this is incredible fast for such a small thing. I also just change them until they won't work anymore.

Yeah if you got some old fans just do it... totally worth it.. 5 mins of work. Pointing them towards the window and done, maybe a could make a frame for them to fit in, now its just a solo fan and a double one, hanging lose together on a wire.

Ah no not these, don't like them that much. HTC Desire Z (until 2010 produced) was one I got after this they announced "HTC is reportedly done with physical keypads and will instead focus on better on-screen keypad technology - in 2012"
After that I imported a Motorola Photon Q from the states, because there was no on the EU market -  had to configure it to function here because of the network and stuff. After this one there was only blackberries I was a bit interested in, but there was just like 2 options and heavly expensive with a bad chip and camera in comparison to the new touchscreen keyboard smnartphones :( And the same one again was just too bad, didn't handle the newest andriod versions and was too lame and slow, sadly.

Yeah the battery life was so nice back then and the screens were smaller, so I had no problems to reach with my right hand to the top left corner without rejusting my hand on the phone. And I loved physical buttons, wanted to feel what I pressed - feel the same now with rubberdomes e.g. or the super light switches I got now and the ones on the switch tester. Mine here .. I often press just by moving over them.. hate it!
AND I think back then people just talked more to each other in person instead of watching on their screens all day and running against trees..
Okay I see, that IR is a nice feature, but I guess there won't be any new phone with this feature.

Yeah the GB is live 2 more weeks, but maybe I just should buy them. So if I got a case to build, I don't have to worry about switches anymore!

Which board do you mean again? The K70? That's a very thick and rigid Aluminum plate that you've got there, so if that doesn't bother you, I imagine you'll be fine with brass.

Noctua fans are ugly as hell though, if you ask me, so that's really the only place I have used them ... since they're hidden below the DVD drive, even if you have the case open.

Yeah, the backlighting is always a nice touch. I got some good laughs when I saw that some TV manufacturers were charging insane prices for TVs with backlighting built in when I knew how cheap 12v LED strips were. Do they still try that nonsense, or have people finally gotten wise to it?

I love music, the louder the better (metal mostly, but also classical ... which is basically the same thing with different instruments), so sound reactive LEDs are wonderful to me. to each their own.

Yeah, with mesh, if you wanted to avoid dust, you would need to have positive airflow, IE more force drawing air in than out, with your fan configuration. In that way, when your exhaust fans can't keep up with your intake fans, the excess will be forced out of whatever crevice it can escape from, instead of being pulled in through those same crevices. If you're going to add fan filters on top of that, like myself, you might need more/bigger fans for the intake than you might assume to accomplish this because of how they restrict the airflow of the intake fans. In that way, so long as I clean my filters often enough, no dust gets inside of my case. I just pull the magnetic filters off, rinse them under a faucet, shake/dry and put back on. I actually wanted an old Rosewill mesh case that was freaking awesome, for the longest time, but by the time I had money to build my computer, it had been discontinued.

I wouldn't put too much stock into core count and frequency. I compare the benchmarks. A Pentium D from 2005 is A LOT slower than say, a modern bottom-of-the-barrel Intel Celeron, even with much lower base clocks.

I think I would probably just buy one of those box fans that pretty much fit in a window if I wanted to do that myself. They're only like $20. I'll use my portable fan whenever a ceiling fan isn't available from now on, once I take that thing apart and give it a good cleaning. I have run it hard for something like 12+ years. It needs some TLC.

Yeah, I like those designs way more than the usual smartphone with no physical keyboard, and the Qwerty keyboard is way better than the traditional number-focused pads of flip phones, but I hate the screen being exposed like that. If they made a phone that flipped length-wise, you would have the best of both worlds. The screen would be protected from damage and pocket dialing, and you would have a full qwerty keyboard. No need for any more cases. No settings changed, no texts sent, no calls made by the lint in your pocket. The best of both worlds.

They did, although there was plenty of zombie texting even with traditional flip phones.

IR blasters are fantastic. I work in a school district as a tech, and we have 5+ buildings, so if somebody calls me into a room to help with XYZ, and they're a substitute and/or someone who is not accustomed to that room, I have literally had situations where that IR blaster has saved an impending presentation by being able to turn the ceiling-mounted projector on from 15 feet below without anybody being able to find the remote.

If you know you want those specific switches, I would pull the trigger if I were you. You never know when things will even be available again during the apocalypse.

Offline kr0_-

« Reply #36 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 17:42:57 »
Which board do you mean again? The K70? That's a very thick and rigid Aluminum plate that you've got there, so if that doesn't bother you, I imagine you'll be fine with brass.

Noctua fans are ugly as hell though, if you ask me, so that's really the only place I have used them ... since they're hidden below the DVD drive, even if you have the case open.

Yeah, the backlighting is always a nice touch. I got some good laughs when I saw that some TV manufacturers were charging insane prices for TVs with backlighting built in when I knew how cheap 12v LED strips were. Do they still try that nonsense, or have people finally gotten wise to it?

I love music, the louder the better (metal mostly, but also classical ... which is basically the same thing with different instruments), so sound reactive LEDs are wonderful to me. to each their own.

Yeah, with mesh, if you wanted to avoid dust, you would need to have positive airflow, IE more force drawing air in than out, with your fan configuration. In that way, when your exhaust fans can't keep up with your intake fans, the excess will be forced out of whatever crevice it can escape from, instead of being pulled in through those same crevices. If you're going to add fan filters on top of that, like myself, you might need more/bigger fans for the intake than you might assume to accomplish this because of how they restrict the airflow of the intake fans. In that way, so long as I clean my filters often enough, no dust gets inside of my case. I just pull the magnetic filters off, rinse them under a faucet, shake/dry and put back on. I actually wanted an old Rosewill mesh case that was freaking awesome, for the longest time, but by the time I had money to build my computer, it had been discontinued.

I wouldn't put too much stock into core count and frequency. I compare the benchmarks. A Pentium D from 2005 is A LOT slower than say, a modern bottom-of-the-barrel Intel Celeron, even with much lower base clocks.

I think I would probably just buy one of those box fans that pretty much fit in a window if I wanted to do that myself. They're only like $20. I'll use my portable fan whenever a ceiling fan isn't available from now on, once I take that thing apart and give it a good cleaning. I have run it hard for something like 12+ years. It needs some TLC.

Yeah, I like those designs way more than the usual smartphone with no physical keyboard, and the Qwerty keyboard is way better than the traditional number-focused pads of flip phones, but I hate the screen being exposed like that. If they made a phone that flipped length-wise, you would have the best of both worlds. The screen would be protected from damage and pocket dialing, and you would have a full qwerty keyboard. No need for any more cases. No settings changed, no texts sent, no calls made by the lint in your pocket. The best of both worlds.

They did, although there was plenty of zombie texting even with traditional flip phones.

IR blasters are fantastic. I work in a school district as a tech, and we have 5+ buildings, so if somebody calls me into a room to help with XYZ, and they're a substitute and/or someone who is not accustomed to that room, I have literally had situations where that IR blaster has saved an impending presentation by being able to turn the ceiling-mounted projector on from 15 feet below without anybody being able to find the remote.

If you know you want those specific switches, I would pull the trigger if I were you. You never know when things will even be available again during the apocalypse.

Sorry it took me a while to answer, had a busy weekend.

Ywah I got the k70 rapidfire, so I'm only used to this board and it's plate. Maybe I'm gonna open it up to see whats inside it.

Yeah they're not the best looking ones but they perform well!

Haha for a simple lightbar installed on the backside of a Tv charging hundrets more is ridiculous! I just found my rgb "strip" in a corner and decided to put it on the back of the screen, cause I need some light but wanted it to be smooth, don't like it to blind me!

It's a nice feature to have for a music lover as you are. I enjoy music but not into it like others, so I don't care for the led's to jump to the vibe :)

Had an positiv airflow always, but my old tower was pretty open, no dust filters and the legs were short, so any dust was soaked in easily. The new case has got bigger legs and I made wooden spacers to put under the legs, so there is enough space to put my Alexa and the Control Pod for my speakers under the tower, too.
Looks clean and airflow is less dusty! But for better airflow and a quieter system I took out the filters now, but got a 3x140 in and 1x140 and 1x120 out configuration, with 2 additional fans on the cpu cooler pointing to the back 120 fans.

Got 2 configurations and can adjust it with a software in windows. The faster config is for games only.

12 years of work, sounds like it was built back then, when quality was more important :) yes, give it some love!

OH I never thought about that but you're right. My focus was on the qwerty kb's, but with that protaction issue you are so right. Hate cases.. never use them!

Yes we did it too in some way, but still I always saw where I was going towards or saw who I walked by...nowadays I feel like every kid has his inears on both dies, to show em, while watching at their phones, don't hear nor see anything. I guess it was used to be a connecting part to the world but seems like it is more a isolating one in some way.

Hahaha nice ! I imagine the kids seeing yur old phone and you give em a smile and take advatage of ur IR blaster :D

Yeah I ordered a bunch. I can sell em still if they don't fit my requirements -  without losing on em I guess.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #37 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 18:41:18 »
Sorry it took me a while to answer, had a busy weekend.

No problem. Things happen.

Ywah I got the k70 rapidfire, so I'm only used to this board and it's plate. Maybe I'm gonna open it up to see whats inside it.

Nice. There's not too much to see inside of K70s, really. Everything interesting is on the outside. They can be a pain to put back together right too.

Yeah they're not the best looking ones but they perform well!

For sure.

Haha for a simple lightbar installed on the backside of a Tv charging hundrets more is ridiculous! I just found my rgb "strip" in a corner and decided to put it on the back of the screen, cause I need some light but wanted it to be smooth, don't like it to blind me!

Yup, and then you get to set it up exactly the way you want it instead of having something integrated into the tv.

It's a nice feature to have for a music lover as you are. I enjoy music but not into it like others, so I don't care for the led's to jump to the vibe :)

Understandable. It isn't for everybody.

Had an positiv airflow always, but my old tower was pretty open, no dust filters and the legs were short, so any dust was soaked in easily. The new case has got bigger legs and I made wooden spacers to put under the legs, so there is enough space to put my Alexa and the Control Pod for my speakers under the tower, too.
Looks clean and airflow is less dusty! But for better airflow and a quieter system I took out the filters now, but got a 3x140 in and 1x140 and 1x120 out configuration, with 2 additional fans on the cpu cooler pointing to the back 120 fans.

Nice. All air cooling. I do the same thing. That water cooling crap isn't worth it, from the tiny temperature differences to the risk of ruining everything inside if it leaks.

Got 2 configurations and can adjust it with a software in windows. The faster config is for games only.

Yeah, makes sense.

12 years of work, sounds like it was built back then, when quality was more important :) yes, give it some love!

I don't know that it was the best made fan ever, but it has made it this long, and it has a remote, so I figure I may as well try to take care of it.

OH I never thought about that but you're right. My focus was on the qwerty kb's, but with that protaction issue you are so right. Hate cases.. never use them!

Yeah, unfortunately, I don't think it will ever happen. We can't even get phones with removable batteries anymore, and they just keep making the screens bigger and bigger for no reason.

Yes we did it too in some way, but still I always saw where I was going towards or saw who I walked by...nowadays I feel like every kid has his inears on both dies, to show em, while watching at their phones, don't hear nor see anything. I guess it was used to be a connecting part to the world but seems like it is more a isolating one in some way.

You're right about the headphones. Most phones didn't have any way to play music, much less interface with headphones back then.

Hahaha nice ! I imagine the kids seeing yur old phone and you give em a smile and take advatage of ur IR blaster :D

I actually got the idea from them, back when IR blasters were more common. They were turning the tvs in the cafeteria on and off, and changing the channels.

Yeah I ordered a bunch. I can sell em still if they don't fit my requirements -  without losing on em I guess.

Yup, I imagine so.

Offline kr0_-

« Reply #38 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 16:22:34 »
... our posts going bigger and bigger :D

Yeah I started dissembling it, but then stopped and put it back together when I saw it would be a pain in the a..

Right, thougt about it too, but I wouldn't even take advantage of these minimal differences in tem, bc I'm not going to full OC it all the time. And you don't have to deal with its care all the time. I think it's the look why eveybody or a lot of them go for it. But have to admit there are some really sice watercooled rigs.

Back to the point, better keep the old stuff and take care instead of buying instantly new things which are ****ty sticked together only look good.

Sooo true... nobody can fit them in one hand anymore but it's important to be as big as possible, so their face is shown bigger when taking a selfie. Egoism at it's fullest :/ but who really cares about their battery and phones really. They get upset a bit and then just buy a new one to be disappointed after a year to get a new one again.

Kids are creative when it comes to fighting boredom, but we still can learn from them, too ! :)

Now I just have to find a nice keeb to build it. Maybe I'll join a Gb in some time, but this is gonna be an expensive year... 2x godfather in the same month and maybe "best man", if not this than next year. Keeb has to wait a bit I guess - why is it that expensive :D

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 09:06:47 »
Yeah I started dissembling it, but then stopped and put it back together when I saw it would be a pain in the a..

I don't mind it, but I'm also used to working on laptops for a living, so it is easy by comparison. I should probably be more understanding of people that diss the boards for that, because I doubt most people have the patience, or experience with their hands.

Right, thougt about it too, but I wouldn't even take advantage of these minimal differences in tem, bc I'm not going to full OC it all the time. And you don't have to deal with its care all the time. I think it's the look why eveybody or a lot of them go for it. But have to admit there are some really sice watercooled rigs.

I think water cooling usually ends up using more power too, and it weighs more. I think if I cared that much about temperatures I would rather just delid the CPU and use liquid metal. Way better temperature gains than water cooling, unless maybe you try to combine the two, which would be even more ridiculous if you ask me.

Back to the point, better keep the old stuff and take care instead of buying instantly new things which are ****ty sticked together only look good.

I agree. I wish it weren't so hard to find things that are well-made anymore. I just ordered two of those new Heavy Metal Keyboard kits. They're making them out of sheet steel, in Germany. I have a feeling you may appreciate the design and robustness of them. The IBM 4704 boards (F62, F77, F107, etc) are bricks too, probably the beefiest keyboards ever made. I should have an F107 I finally tracked down coming in this afternoon.

Sooo true... nobody can fit them in one hand anymore but it's important to be as big as possible, so their face is shown bigger when taking a selfie. Egoism at it's fullest :/ but who really cares about their battery and phones really. They get upset a bit and then just buy a new one to be disappointed after a year to get a new one again.

Whatever the motives, they're playing right into the hands of manufacturers and big cell carriers. Paying ridiculous prices in soul-stealing cellular contracts. I, for one, will never be beholden to such an agreement.

Kids are creative when it comes to fighting boredom, but we still can learn from them, too ! :)

Absolutely.

Now I just have to find a nice keeb to build it. Maybe I'll join a Gb in some time, but this is gonna be an expensive year... 2x godfather in the same month and maybe "best man", if not this than next year. Keeb has to wait a bit I guess - why is it that expensive :D

How expensive do you mean by expensive? There are some pretty cheap parts available on the Chinese websites. If you're a godfather now, you should just shakedown some local businesses for protection money.

Offline kr0_-

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 09:50:03 »

I don't mind it, but I'm also used to working on laptops for a living, so it is easy by comparison. I should probably be more understanding of people that diss the boards for that, because I doubt most people have the patience, or experience with their hands.

I think water cooling usually ends up using more power too, and it weighs more. I think if I cared that much about temperatures I would rather just delid the CPU and use liquid metal. Way better temperature gains than water cooling, unless maybe you try to combine the two, which would be even more ridiculous if you ask me.

I agree. I wish it weren't so hard to find things that are well-made anymore. I just ordered two of those new Heavy Metal Keyboard kits. They're making them out of sheet steel, in Germany. I have a feeling you may appreciate the design and robustness of them. The IBM 4704 boards (F62, F77, F107, etc) are bricks too, probably the beefiest keyboards ever made. I should have an F107 I finally tracked down coming in this afternoon.

Whatever the motives, they're playing right into the hands of manufacturers and big cell carriers. Paying ridiculous prices in soul-stealing cellular contracts. I, for one, will never be beholden to such an agreement.

Absolutely.

How expensive do you mean by expensive? There are some pretty cheap parts available on the Chinese websites. If you're a godfather now, you should just shakedown some local businesses for protection money.

Maybe I'm gonna give it a try again and watch whats up in there.

I delided mine  and gained about 10 degrees I think, by combining it with water cooling you gain maybe additional 6 degrees I guess. But some just want it, some really need it for benchmarks, but most of them use it for the optic.

Oh so it's like christmas today for you! Nice. Need to get to a meeting and see what those bricks look and feel like!

Yes , paying even more through those contracts for a already overprised phone...

I'm already one and now 2 more comming... need to save up more money!
you mean like kbdfans ? I dont know if I'm going to buy a real keeb, I want one which I really like and by watching some GB's only the ones I like are about 450+ shipping and then the switches and keycaps..

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #41 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 11:52:59 »

I don't know that it would hurt anything. Just make sure not to lose any of the little bits that fall out. The media keys, at least on my k65, just fell out. There's also a fiddly little ribbon cable that's just pressed against contacts on the PCB by a little piece of silicone that sits in the lower casing. The struggle is getting all of that crap back into the right places, and keeping it there, until you can the casing halves back together.

I delided mine  and gained about 10 degrees I think, by combining it with water cooling you gain maybe additional 6 degrees I guess. But some just want it, some really need it for benchmarks, but most of them use it for the optic.

I haven't even done that. I like my things to last indefinitely, whenever possible, so I'm all about stock clocks, and plenty of fans. Delidding, at least, is tempting though. I do imagine it is more of a thing to show off than a practical consideration as well.

Oh so it's like christmas today for you! Nice. Need to get to a meeting and see what those bricks look and feel like!

Maybe, maybe not. It is now sounding like it might not make it until tomorrow. If that's the case, I may just drive out to the regional hub and get it after work. lol. I work halfway there already anyway.

Yes , paying even more through those contracts for a already overprised phone...

Well, here in the U.S. I think the phones are included free with the contract, with occasional free upgrades. They end up paying more than the phone is worth over time though when they're tied ball and chain to the carrier's contract.

you mean like kbdfans ? I dont know if I'm going to buy a real keeb, I want one which I really like and by watching some GB's only the ones I like are about 450+ shipping and then the switches and keycaps..

I don't know, I haven't really been to that website very much to be honest. I have bought things from Aliexpress and KPrepublic though. What have you got coming?

Offline kr0_-

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 17:05:32 »

I don't know that it would hurt anything. Just make sure not to lose any of the little bits that fall out. The media keys, at least on my k65, just fell out. There's also a fiddly little ribbon cable that's just pressed against contacts on the PCB by a little piece of silicone that sits in the lower casing. The struggle is getting all of that crap back into the right places, and keeping it there, until you can the casing halves back together.

I haven't even done that. I like my things to last indefinitely, whenever possible, so I'm all about stock clocks, and plenty of fans. Delidding, at least, is tempting though. I do imagine it is more of a thing to show off than a practical consideration as well.

Maybe, maybe not. It is now sounding like it might not make it until tomorrow. If that's the case, I may just drive out to the regional hub and get it after work. lol. I work halfway there already anyway.

Well, here in the U.S. I think the phones are included free with the contract, with occasional free upgrades. They end up paying more than the phone is worth over time though when they're tied ball and chain to the carrier's contract.

I don't know, I haven't really been to that website very much to be honest. I have bought things from Aliexpress and KPrepublic though. What have you got coming?

Okay, gonna keep it in my mind when trying.

NO I just wanted to try it. Was a nice experience and even gave me a nice temp decrese.

I waited liek 2 weeks for a thing to be delivered. So crazy with this corona ****. And still waiting for one piece, which should have been delivered last wednesday... it's like 50 miles from my place tracking says.

here you have a contract and they gave to the phone free or for little money, but the conctract includes a 10-20 Euro monthly payment on top for the phone over 2 years, so all together you are paying more.
After 2 years your phone won't work like you would like to have it or somebody got a better one, so you get a new again, and still keeping the extra payment for it. Or if you agree to buy a new one before the 2 years, you pay the new, the old phone and the regular contract...

Yeah ordered once from aliexpress, but took forever to come here to germany. There are 3-4 on my watching list but I'm still watching to be sure to get em.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #43 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 00:29:56 »
NO I just wanted to try it. Was a nice experience and even gave me a nice temp decrese.

My bad. I meant that watercooling was more of something to show off, not delidding.

I waited liek 2 weeks for a thing to be delivered. So crazy with this corona ****. And still waiting for one piece, which should have been delivered last wednesday... it's like 50 miles from my place tracking says.

Only 2 weeks? From where? Everything I get from China is usually at least a month. It is like that without COVID. It only gets worse from there. lol

here you have a contract and they gave to the phone free or for little money, but the conctract includes a 10-20 Euro monthly payment on top for the phone over 2 years, so all together you are paying more.
After 2 years your phone won't work like you would like to have it or somebody got a better one, so you get a new again, and still keeping the extra payment for it. Or if you agree to buy a new one before the 2 years, you pay the new, the old phone and the regular contract...

Yeah, that sounds like literal hell. I'll never do that. I would rather not have a phone.

Yeah ordered once from aliexpress, but took forever to come here to germany. There are 3-4 on my watching list but I'm still watching to be sure to get em.

Did you look at the Heavy Metal Keyboards group Buy? They're pretty reasonably priced for how much steel they're shipping you. Good luck with Aliexpress right now. I finally got one of the things I ordered a month or more back, but a few of the things I did order the seller eventually told me were out of stock. That seems to be a recurring theme for me with Chinese stores. They sell things they don't even have in stock at the moment. My Kailh box silent reds, which I waited a month for, were apparently somehow undeliverable and were returned to the sender, so had to order those again entirely.

Offline kr0_-

« Reply #44 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 15:23:04 »
Oh .. yea, sure mostly used for showing off.

I meant 2 mounths, sorry. But I dunno what it usually needs to be delivered, first time oirdering from there.

I get my phone without any contract. Don't need the best one - just needs to work.

Oh yes I saw them, but the design wasn't my favourite. Was made (or gonna be) in germany, so quality for sure. Price was fine too, but the one I took a closer look at are mroe pricey, but I'm in no hurry, can wait until there it the right one. ANd as I can see the community gets bigger and bigger so there will be even more new boards I hope. Yeah made the same experience her ein germany, ordered stuff for my bike. While ordering it was in stock but when I asked for my package they said they were sorry but everbody ordered pieces for their bikes during corona and they were almost out of stock of everything. But your experience is way more annoying. I guess you can't think about their selling methods the way you are used to in the USA. It's more like a bazaar thing... I feel like.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #45 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 18:05:07 »

I meant 2 mounths, sorry. But I dunno what it usually needs to be delivered, first time oirdering from there.

I get my phone without any contract. Don't need the best one - just needs to work.

Oh yes I saw them, but the design wasn't my favourite. Was made (or gonna be) in germany, so quality for sure. Price was fine too, but the one I took a closer look at are mroe pricey, but I'm in no hurry, can wait until there it the right one. ANd as I can see the community gets bigger and bigger so there will be even more new boards I hope. Yeah made the same experience her ein germany, ordered stuff for my bike. While ordering it was in stock but when I asked for my package they said they were sorry but everbody ordered pieces for their bikes during corona and they were almost out of stock of everything. But your experience is way more annoying. I guess you can't think about their selling methods the way you are used to in the USA. It's more like a bazaar thing... I feel like.

Ah, that makes more sense. Generally, when we're not amidst the apocalypse, shipping is usually a month to the U.S. for me. Sometimes as little as a week or two, but that's very rare.

It seems like there's no hurring in group buys either way, so I'm sure that helps with holding off. lol

Well, hopefully a lot of the ideas in the enthusiast community will become so popular that they spill over to the OEMs. I think we've already seen it with 60% and 40% layouts.

Yeah, that makes sense. You would think that they would have that built into their web stores though, you know? Have a database that interfaces with the website that tracks exactly how many of a given item is in stock, and disable the purchase button when stock hits 0.

Offline kr0_-

« Reply #46 on: Thu, 07 May 2020, 10:00:33 »

Ah, that makes more sense. Generally, when we're not amidst the apocalypse, shipping is usually a month to the U.S. for me. Sometimes as little as a week or two, but that's very rare.

It seems like there's no hurring in group buys either way, so I'm sure that helps with holding off. lol

Well, hopefully a lot of the ideas in the enthusiast community will become so popular that they spill over to the OEMs. I think we've already seen it with 60% and 40% layouts.

Yeah, that makes sense. You would think that they would have that built into their web stores though, you know? Have a database that interfaces with the website that tracks exactly how many of a given item is in stock, and disable the purchase button when stock hits 0.

Sure, too many points the stuff has to cross and been checked plus the distance itself 2 or 3 weeks sounds like a very lucky delivery!

Haha ya it takes some time to get to the GP for a keeb, true. But looking at its development makes zou want it even more.

What did already change in the smaller layouts on the OEMs? But I guess so too, the bigger boards will also profit from the community here.

Would be a nice feature to have for us customers, but thez donät care I think. For them itäs a good thing to be sold out, means they got their money. And most of the people are too lazy to storno and search for it on another store.