Author Topic: [IC] Loki65, Shapeshifting Board (multiple mounting-styles)  (Read 65688 times)

Offline Nedzc27

[IC] Loki65, Shapeshifting Board (multiple mounting-styles)
« on: Fri, 26 February 2021, 10:44:28 »
We are moving onto the next phase. Group Buy on 17th September 2022!

Latest Group Buy Post here (click BELOW):

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=118154

Final Update on this IC post: 21st July 2022

Hey guys! It's been such a journey for us...

We had an interest check on the Loki65 back in February 2021; it was nothing more than a passion project started by just my project partner and I.

We are 2 keyboard enthusiasts, both with a desire for bringing innovative features to the custom keyboard community. Seeking improvements on the existing features that we see on current keyboards, but also tossing away a few redundancies that we saw. The Loki65 is a by-product of a design that heavily favors function over form. Despite that, it definitely isn't made to be just another boring-looking custom keyboard.

A year and a half later, since the IC post, we are finally arriving at our Group Buy phase! We are so excited to be here. We were so glad (and pleasantly-surprised) to see the reception and sell-out when we launched the Early Bird sale a few months ago. We are grateful for all the love and support. (Early Bird units should be shipped in the next 2 weeks  :cool: )

We are definitely excited for the upcoming Group Buy too! It is planned to happen in August 2022. Do stay tuned for the YouTubers that will be reviewing/featuring the Loki65 on their respective channels in the month of August. We will update their schedules on our upcoming Group Buy post.

Have a great weekend ahead and see you guys in the upcoming post or do stick around in the Loki65 Discord channel for discussion and enquiries.

In the meantime, here are the latest photos of the Loki65 (prototypes: versions 2 and 3):

289254-0  289268-1

289256-2  289258-3 

289260-4  289264-5

289266-6  289270-7

281690-8

Story

Hi everyone, I’m a keyboard enthusiast residing in Singapore!
I’d like to introduce to you, the Loki65. It is a Full-CNC PC (Polycarbonate) board with the ability to shapeshift (we are looking at multiple mounting-styles).
I'm very excited to present this board to you here! I hope you will share this same excitement with me too. Let’s get on with it!

The Name: Loki65

The inspiration came from the board’s unique feature of having multiple mounting-styles, providing different typing experience and sounds based on how the user configures it.
This board is pretty much a “shapeshifter”, and I reckon you would agree too after looking through this post? :D (upcoming diagrams below)
Hence, our favorite Norse God, Loki came to mind and became part of this project. (Any Viking fans around? Norse Mythology?)

Research and Thought Process

As someone who prefers the sound of boards made of Polycarbonate over Aluminum, I wanted to design a board that encompasses Quality, Functionality, and that signature Polycarbonate THOCK. Besides, there seems to be quite a lack options for high-end PC custom keyboards in the market right now, compared to the Aluminum counterparts. Isn't it?

Also, I've realized that many current Injection-Molded (IM) boards tend to have thin bezels or case "walls" which result in a fairly "hollow"-sounding and a less-than satisfactory typing experience.

I’m definitely not an expert at materials, but I’ve had my fair share of bad experience with other Polycarbonate keyboards in the current market. They’ve had “manufacturing-defects”, cracks, thread-shearing, squeaks, and a few more issues.

I cannot be sure if they’re of inferior quality, but it certainly goes against known material properties/characteristics of Polycarbonate for being extremely durable. The Loki65 will only be using the best-quality PC sheets from the fabricators.

We do agree, IM cases do have their own benefits, most-notably their lower costs due to bulk production. However, according to fabricators, CNC is sometimes the preferred choice due to higher precision and better quality-control. If you are seeking a high-end Polycarbonate custom keyboard, this is it.

To summarize, this is a board designed to achieve the following:

1.   Full-CNC PC, for maximum quality, durability and sturdiness. We're talking about a thick, solid bezel and case. And to top it off, a hefty brass weight.
2.   Screw-holes with Stainless steel inserts to ensure absolutely no thread-shearing (PC material in screw thread does not wear-off).
3.   Ability to customize the typing and sound experience due to the plate’s unique design (featured below, in this post). Also, with an array of plate options available, the possibilities are huge.
4.   A high-end, premium keyboard.

Interest check form:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdXSoneFSZeU2XQFcIQ6az8Ma1c8x_pMKQmtrBb3ORjbhn1xw/viewform

Discord link:
https://discord.gg/RHmR7HZK5J

Instagram (many more pictures right here):
https://instagram.com/loki65kb

Youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfctYC_sSYW6oZf5-XaP4TA/videos

Prototype:

269067-9  269079-10

269081-11  269089-12

More
269065-13  269069-14

269071-15  269073-16

269075-17  269077-18

269085-19  269083-20

269087-21

Prototype V2 Cases:

273042-22  273044-23

More
273046-24  273048-25

273050-26  273052-27

RGB Underglow:

281692-28   281694-29

281696-30   281698-31

More
281700-32   281702-33

281704-34

Early Bird Renders (Thank you @Jaekeyed !)

281706-35   281708-36

281710-37

Typing Tests and more:

Series of Sound-Tests

Second Series of Sound-Tests

Third Series of Sound-Tests

More
Flexibility-Test (un-assembled)

Aluminium Flexibility-Test

PC, and Brass Flexibility-Test

Quick Sound-Tests

Some Renders (Thank you @Kingk22 !)

More
263101-38   263103-39

263105-40   263168-41

263109-42   263112-43

263126-44   263128-45

263130-46

Specifications:

-Keyboard

Dimensions: 321mm (length), 122mm (width), 20.5mm (front height)
Case Material: Full-CNC Polycarbonate (sandblasted)
Case colours: Frosted, Ink Black
Weight Material: Brass (sandblasted, clear-coated)
Plate Material: PC, FR4, Anodised Aluminum, Brass (sandblasted, clear-coated)
Badge Material: Anodised Aluminum, Brass (sandblasted, clear-coated)
Typing Angle: 5 degrees
Mounting style: At least 3 variations (featured below in the post)
Full-build (alu plate): Approx. 1.35kg

-PCB

Hot-swap/Soldered
RGB Underglow
Caps Lock LED indicator
VIA/QMK support
USB-C connection

Misc.

More
Vendors: TBA

Shipping Time: Based on the fabricators, we should be able to start shipping within an estimation of 6 months upon completion of order. This will just be an estimate, which may be subjected to delays and setbacks.

Price: We aim to keep it under 430USD

The Components Within

263114-47

Mounting System and Plate Design:

Now, let’s talk about this. Much of the philosophy and design-concept of the Loki65 revolves around the unique structure of the plate. This was the core-focus during the creation process of the Loki65. I designed a plate that meticulously-integrated flex-cuts (leaf-spring) with mounting tabs on the edges, which then allowed a variety of mounting-styles to take place on a single plate.

The Loki65's array of plate material options and mounting-styles enables the user to find the perfect plate flexibility. What will yours be?

264548-49

The mounting-styles:

Mount 1 (top-mount)

The Plate is attached to the Top Case via M2 screws with Poron gasket strips and silicone O-Rings.

Mount 2 (gasket-mount)

The Plate is sandwiched between the Cases via Poron gasket strips.

Mount 3 (burger-mount)

The Plate is attached to the Top Case via M2 screws and silicone O-rings.

Update: 1st March 2021

More
Hi everyone.

I have seen the response on the google form survey. I was very pleased to see so many of them. They have been very positive. Thank you all for the support shown! There were also some feedback that were interesting. Let me address those that I can at the moment.

Case weight:
This is what's engraved onto the the case weight. For all who were asking for a close up view, here it is. This will be final, I hope you all like what you see!  :cool:

Top-right blocker (badge):

This was a surprising one. I thought Mr. Unpopular here would be taken away from the final product based on some replies from this thread. However, it seems that most were in favor of the badge, as expressed in the google form survey.

The design of the badge has not been finalised. I will be collaborating with various artists/designers to pick the best-looking ones. You can be sure that there will be alternative designs to the ones you see in the renders above. If anyone would like to run a collab, hit me up. I would love to hear from you! (Add me on discord: Nedzc27#3879)

Chances are, the badge will come in different designs and material (looking at brass and anodised aluminum). They will be showcased later on this month. Keep a lookout here for updates!

That will be all for now! More updates will be posted as soon as I can. Have a great week ahead.  :thumb:

Update: 17th March 2021

More
Hello everyone!

Hope these few weeks have been good to all. I have read every single one of your responses on the google sheets. I am very happy to see all of them. There are currently more than a 100 responses, and to be honest, this has gone beyond some of my expectations! Let's have a peek at the statistics so far:

(as of this update)

264542-54

Moving forward, a few updates. Here we go:

1. First and foremost, Protoype is on the way!
The order has been placed. I am waiting for the fabricators to complete it. As much as I am excited to have my hands on it, I also can't wait to show it to all of you!  :cool:

2. There will be a soldered-PCB version coming! The available layouts will be presented in later updates. Stay tuned!

3. Following up from the second point, there has been changes made to the plate. Additional cuts were made. The plate is now universal. It'll be in favor of multiple layouts, and soldered-pcb. This one's especially for the enthusiasts out there armed with their soldering iron.  ;)

Here's how the plate looks:

264548-57

4. Some changes were made to the initial offerings of plate materials. There will not be FR4 included this time. I apologise to those who intended to pair this board with the FR4 plate...

5. The colours available for the cases will ONLY be in Ink Black and Frosted. There were definitely some interesting colours suggested, and I have kept them in mind! (perhaps next time?)

6. Last but not least, let's talk about the badges!

There has been a major concern regarding the design of the badge. It seems quite a number did not like the smiling face. I've taken certain suggestions from the responses gathered. Thus, it shall be changed. Time for a face-lift :D

I have collected different designs and have chosen to settle with these 3.

Runes

264550-58264552-59
264556-60264554-61

These are Futhark runes. They 'spell-out' the word "LOKI".

Fenrir

264558-62264560-63
264564-64264562-65

Norse Mythology Wolf. First child of Loki. This idea came along, to signify the first-run for the Loki65.

Helmet

264566-66264568-67
264572-68264570-69

The famous horned-helmet. Inspired by the Vikings, which then inspired the Marvel Comics' version of Loki.

Do take a minute to help me fill this up? Vote for your favourite badge(s)! Thank you :thumb:

https://forms.gle/SExGonRPG1BGUAni8

Don’t forget to fill the IC form for the board if you haven’t already done so:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdXSoneFSZeU2XQFcIQ6az8Ma1c8x_pMKQmtrBb3ORjbhn1xw/viewform

That will be all for now. I look forward to your feedback. Have a great week ahead!

Update: 22nd March 2021

More
Hello everyone!

Just a small, but important update nonetheless;

Discord channel is up!

here is the link:
https://discord.gg/Ru6bZJ9mTj

See you guys there!  :cool:

Update: 24th March 2021

More
Hello everyone!

Some matters to share:

1. What you see below is a video I made quite a few weeks back.

A sample piece of Polycarbonate material was received from the fabricators as requested. I also wanted inserts to be included in the sample piece; stainless steel and brass ones. I decided to go for the heat-stacked brass inserts for the upcoming prototype in the end.

I toy-ed around with the sample piece. Here, you can see me conduct a ( not-too-scientific ) "stress-test" with it. I wanted to demonstrate how strong the material should really be. I'm confident that, with the included inserts, there will be magnificent results. You shouldn't be worried about broken screw-threads any longer.

2. Instagram Page!

here is the link:
https://www.instagram.com/loki65kb

Please, do follow the page for some exclusive updates too.  :thumb:

3. Lastly, regarding responses on the survey forms. Thank you all so much for taking the time to respond. Here are the figures so far:

265196-70
265198-71

That would be all for now!  ;D

Update: 7th May 2021

More
Hi all! I have not had the chance to do an update here for quite a few weeks now!

Prototype for various components are here!

I am here to share some pics that I have received from the fabricators. As of this post, DHL is shipping them to me, and I should receive by 10th May 2021.

267862-72

267864-73

267866-74

That would be all for now! Have a great week ahead! Remember to join the discord for more updates, and I want to hear your suggestions and discussions over there too!  :thumb:

Update: 25th May 2021

More
Hi all, I've uploaded some pictures up here and much more as well. The next update after this one would be the Typing Sound Test. Stay tuned for it! I can't wait to show it to you guys!

In the meantime, here are 2 videos which I have uploaded recently.

Showcasing the internals of the Loki65 and giving you a better look/understanding of how the mounting mechanism works.

Showcasing how flexible the plate can potentially be. More tests will be done with the PCB and keycaps on it.

See you soon in the next update!

If you haven't already done so, join the discord channel for more latest updates and discussions:

Follow the Instagram page as well:

Update: 7th June 2021

More
I am back with some updates here today!

Flexibility-Test

Quick Sound-Tests

My findings:

Typing on Gasket-mounting configuration gives a softer, fluffier feel, whereas Top-mounting gives a firmer, solid feel.

With leaf-spring activation (Top-Mounting), the plate is more flexible. At the flex-cuts, the plate is able to bend. During the tests, I am able to achieve a greater depression (vertical-distance travelled downwards is more than Gasket-mounting) of the plate and keys using this configuration.

With the Gasket-mounting configuration (NO spring-leaf activation), there is also a good degree of flexibility. However, the flexibility stems more from the compression of the gasket strips, and not so much from the bending of the plates. The depression of the plate and keys is lesser, compared to Top-mounting.

And if statistics are your thing, here is a quick update on the interests so far:

270056-75

That's it for now, I do have 3 new plates on the way from the fabricators; an aluminium (a different colour) plate, a brass one and a PC one.
More tests and demonstrations will be up soon! (:

If you haven't already done so, join the discord channel for more latest updates and discussions:

Update: 26th July 2021

More
How's everyone doing! It's been awhile since I have last updated on the progress of the Loki65.  Hope things are going fine for you. I have a few updates to share today:

1. PC, and Brass Plate Flexibility Test:

PC, and Brass Flexibility-Test

My findings:

Due to the current design of the plates, the PC plate is “too soft” to hold up the combined weight of PCB, switches and keycaps when using the Top-mounting configuration.

There will be a new design implemented for the PC versions of plates. (Point 3 in this update)

Both plates, when using the Gasket-mounting configuration (NO leaf-spring activation), gives that nice, soft feel; the Brass plate offering a slightly firmer touch to it. There is a good amount of flex on the board as seen in this demonstration.

When the Brass plate uses the Top-mounting configuration (leaf-spring activates), there is also a good amount of flexibility. Stiffness of the Brass plate is greatly reduced due to the flex cuts. The design of the plate has worked as intended. Pretty happy with the results!

2. Prototype V2:

I have received the top and bottom cases of the Prototype V2. Based on the changes that I have made, the Loki65 feels a tad more solid than before. There are no longer any of the ‘squeaks’ that I mentioned earlier on the previous update. Overall, the top and bottom cases feel a little heftier than the Prototype V1; there is a slight increase in the thickness of the bezels, and the thickness of the bottom case (on the interior). Here are some pictures of the changes, You will be able to see the side-by-side comparisons between the 2 different versions. This will be the final version, no more changes will be made.

273042-76  273044-77

273046-78  273048-79

273050-80  273052-81

3. Polycarbonate plate

Upon running numerous tests on the various plates, mounting-styles and setups, I have come to realise that the PC plate might be ‘too soft’ for the Top-mounting and Burger-mounting configuration. This is largely-due to the size of the flex-cuts made for the leaf-springs. I will be reducing the size of these flex-cuts for the PC plate. The Brass and Aluminium plates will have their designs retained, while the PC plates will have a slightly different one.

273054-82

4. PCB

There is good and bad news for this actually…

In the previous update, I have announced that the PCB will be designed by Coarse. However, due to certain unforeseen circumstances, our collaboration has ceased. I shall spare the details for now. I’m rather disappointed at the unfortunate situation as well. This will add up to some delays.

However, there is good news for me to share as well! I have managed to get in contact with Gondolindrim. I am very sure that many in the community know of him. He has been involved in numerous projects and collaborations. Thus, I am very pleased to announce that Gondolindrim and I will be collaborating for the upcoming PCB. I look forward to sharing more with you in the near future. Thank you for the patience and stay tuned for that! (:

That will be all for now! More updates will come soon.

Update: 28th Jan 2022

More
Hey all, its been quite some time since I have last updated on the progress of the Loki65 project. Things haven't exactly been as smooth-sailing, but this ship will sail towards it's planned destination. We will make it happen.

For those interested in numbers, here's the response so far:

281734-83

We've come a long way since the Loki65 was first unveiled last year, during the first quarter of 2021. Thanks to all who have shown their love and support for this project. The Early Bird sale will be live soon. Stay tuned! In the meantime, take a look at some of the renders of the Early Bird units above.

Update: 18th Feb 2022

More
Hey guys!

Just a quick update regarding our progress on the Early Birds!

Our fabricators have officially started work today again! The orders have been requested to be submitted this afternoon. We will be finalising the details in the orders and payment will be made soon. I am so excited for this! Will keep you guys updated whenever possible! 😎

« Last Edit: Sat, 17 September 2022, 01:55:35 by Nedzc27 »

Offline of_sam

Re: [IC] Loki65, The Board that Shapeshifts
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 26 February 2021, 10:46:04 »
Pepega
Typing on: HHKB Pro 2 - Stock :aware:
Collection: F1.69, Police, Jubi, RF 87U, En Dash, Rosenthal, Soulless, Frog, Calliope, GAF 910, Sabre, W1-AT

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 26 February 2021, 10:46:07 »
Is this a collab with GMK Cauldron/Witch?

Offline gilbert

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 26 February 2021, 10:46:22 »
im in!!!
Collection: F1.69, G80-5K, Bliss TKL, Ecliptica, Cypher, Safa S588, Southpaw Fullsize, HHKB Pro2, Zenith G80-1192HAD

Offline Dr_D

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 26 February 2021, 10:47:30 »
This thread should shapeshift into an actual IC

Offline keeganzero

• huhu
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 26 February 2021, 11:02:48 »
I'm confused, when I opened this thread it was a broken image and 'downloading 8/10'
Now it is at 5/10 and you have some text
And refreshed again and the images are gone

Might want to do some more prep before posting
Boards: F1-88, R1 KFE, IDB60, Cypher, HHKB Pro 2 Type-S, RF 87UW55, G80-1800, CM QFR

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 26 February 2021, 11:06:01 »
Ya'll interest checkers need to remember you're not some important board of directors waiting for a professional presentation.
Allowing someone's technical issues get in the way of the product they're trying to present is haughty as hell.
Give the guy a few minutes; don't reply with bull**** that clogs up the thread.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 26 February 2021, 11:07:45 »
Ya'll interest checkers need to remember you're not some important board of directors waiting for a professional presentation.
Allowing someone's technical issues get in the way of the product they're trying to present is haughty as hell.

Makes sense.

Offline keeganzero

• huhu
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 26 February 2021, 11:08:40 »

There is button to the right of the Post button that will allow you to preview your message before you post it
Boards: F1-88, R1 KFE, IDB60, Cypher, HHKB Pro 2 Type-S, RF 87UW55, G80-1800, CM QFR

Offline Nedzc27

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 26 February 2021, 12:45:24 »
My apologies to all who may have gotten a peek at a post that was not complete! (Couldn't contain the excitement enough, and it led to a few errors that might have slipped; didn't exactly help when I missed clicking on the "preview" button as well  :( ) Thank you all for being patient! Please do take time to leave comments and feedback if necessary!

Cheers!

Offline Baka Bot

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 26 February 2021, 13:20:47 »
maybe have a simpler way of explaining the various mounting styles to make it more convenient for others to follow. Also im not too keen on hotswap as the only pcb option personally (unless i missed some info in the thread) nevertheless glwic. edit: any plans on a proto soon?
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 February 2021, 13:31:03 by Baka Bot »

Offline Nedzc27

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 26 February 2021, 13:30:52 »
Is this a collab with GMK Cauldron/Witch?

nope this is not  :))

Offline Nedzc27

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 26 February 2021, 13:33:06 »
This thread should shapeshift into an actual IC

it finally did! :cool:

Offline Nedzc27

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 26 February 2021, 13:35:02 »

Thank you for the patience and understanding!  ;)

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 26 February 2021, 13:43:20 »

There is button to the right of the Post button that will allow you to preview your message before you post it

Not everyone has been registered for 8 years, even if he saw the preview button maybe he wasn't really aware of the etiquette here or didn't expect like 15 replies complaining about the lack of content in the OP or just being weirdos in general within 2 minutes of posting.

It happens, there's really no need to hound the guy with a bunch of useless bull**** - this is also not aimed at your response specifically, it was constructive.

PS: I like the idea! Looks like it could be feasible to see through and have it work, good luck.

Offline Gavzers

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 26 February 2021, 14:55:43 »
Looks pretty cool! Different mounting methods are always fun to tinker with, but I would prefer I front height of around 18mm as it is much more comfortable (although that's just my preference). Another thing to consider is maybe testing around with a daughterboard as I feel like they are always a positive addition to any board.

Offline Zanhana

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 26 February 2021, 15:57:39 »
interesting concept, but I'd prefer no top right blocker. a lower front height would also be nice

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 26 February 2021, 16:03:18 »
interesting concept, but I'd prefer no top right blocker. a lower front height would also be nice

These are the things I also agree with :)
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline totalemon

• good morning :)
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 26 February 2021, 16:20:48 »
That weight looks pretty cool! But I agree that it would work better without the blocker

Offline Chippy

• sus chef
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 26 February 2021, 16:59:54 »
I was going to meme about how 65 with top right blockers are so hot right now, but I honestly appreciate you trying to do something different with allowing different mounting styles (even if they are very similar). Looking forward to how this turns out. My one suggestion is maybe trying to make it leafspring.
1.2og | Buddy 6xx | Le Fishe V1 Proto | xyz60 Rev2 | Quartermaster | Chimera65 | Satisfaction75 | Realforce 84u | Zenith Z-150 | Realforce 86u | 378
More
This and the swiss cheese keyboard is the next generation of keyboards

Offline catamscott

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 26 February 2021, 17:03:59 »
board looks solid, and it's great that you're designing with the issues of other polycarb boards in mind. mounting looks very keycult but with the option to burger mount, which is a nice option to have. if possible, having the option to bottom mount would be cool too. i can't tell from the images, but does the outermost cut on the mounting tab (closest to the screw hole) sit within the gasket when assmbled? my thinking is that if you sandwich gasket this and that is the case, the pressure from the sandwich mounting will nullify the added leaf-spring cuts. i may be (and often am) wrong, but keycult boards look to have both leaf-spring cuts closer together, such that the outermost cut isn't resting within the mounting area. that said, that's just how it looks in build streams, i don't own one so I can't comment definitively on that though. either way, it looks pretty good. i'll also echo the recommendations to nix the top blocker, i much prefer having an extra key there.

Offline Nedzc27

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 26 February 2021, 18:53:04 »
Hi everyone! It is nice to see feedback coming in. I really appreciate the time you have taken, and be assured that I do read every single one, and take them into consideration.

Perhaps I can take time to address some of the feedback that I see. ;)

Regarding the design for this board, ill try not to make too drastic of a change if possible, as there will be compromises/trade-offs made on other aspects. I will address them shortly. Some changes of course, can be made and I'm taking it into consideration (I'm looking at you Brass Badge  :( ).

Here are some of my thoughts regarding these design aspects as of now:

-height
The front height (20mm) is as low as I can go for the following few reasons. Do bear with me, it is quite a handful:

1. I've mentioned earlier that this board does not skimp on the Polycarbonate material used for the case. So it may seem a little thicker/taller than the average boards (maybe?).

2. The bottom case houses a rather hefty brass weight within. So, to cut away material of the bottom case for the sake of lowering the overall height, it means that the thickness/heftiness of the brass weight has to be compromised for it to fit in with the bottom case. I'm not willing to sacrifice some functional value for the weight just yet.  :D

3. The use of inserts for the screw-holes require the top case to be a little thicker, to maintain the integrity of the material, and being in-line with the intended case design.

4. I intentionally left sufficient space between the PCB and the bottom case, to allow for the accommodation of the hot-swap sockets, and the possibility of using a case foam, if users so desire.

-daugtherboard
I did toy around with the idea initially but have shelved it (at least for now) as i wanted to keep this board simple. The exclusion of the daugtherboard will see benefits of a lower cost. It will also allow the height of the case to be slightly lower since there is no need to make space for housing of the cables used to connect the separate pieces of PCB. But, that being said, inclusion of daughterboards will not be ruled-out in future designs  :cool:

-top right blocker
hmmmmm...

-the plate
1. Yup, this is considered a leaf-spring design already, no?
2. Yup, the gasket strips are sitting on the cuts itself. The effect of the leaf-spring cuts will not be experienced when using the configuration shown in "Mount 2"; when the plate is sandwiched between the top and bottom layers of gasket strips. This is with the intention to make the typing feel of the 'Mount 1" and "Mount 2" a little more distinctive from one another.

I've also received some interesting comments in the interest check form! I will get to them ASAP. Ill be logging off and heading to bed for now.

Thank you all once again and stay tuned for more updates. There is so much more to share with all.
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 February 2021, 19:03:30 by Nedzc27 »

Offline R4YN3

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 26 February 2021, 19:45:03 »
Put me down for one with the blocker

Offline Tree_

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 26 February 2021, 19:59:12 »
I don't know what every bodies individual idea of affordable is, but this:

430USD

Contradicts this:

4. A high-end, premium keyboard that doesn’t require you to break the bank!

Just in my opinion.

Offline KambingSuSu

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 26 February 2021, 20:47:36 »
Cool idea, but it seems that you spent way too much time on the renders before collecting more feedback around. Maybe time to get some protos?

Bezels look great, but those aren't thick. When you say thick bezels, think bigger. S7 elephant, the M0110, J80 series. THOSE are thick bezels.

Are your only interactions with PC injection molded?

430 USD is a decent, but not a very cheap price. The qoute is about right though, given the known failure rate for PC CNC. Best to confirm the prices beforehand.

Plate options - 3 materials, but only fixed ANSI. Does not look like there is a reason with the design of your case for the plate to only support a single layout. Would definitely help with your MOQ if you allow flexibility in the layout.

Hotswap only pcb - no thanks.

Mount 3 - Looks like the top case can use porons for mount 3 as well?

Offline Nedzc27

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 27 February 2021, 09:09:43 »
Prototypes will definitely be coming soon. Am finalising certain aspects on this (PCB, possible tweaks in the plate)

Soldered PCB might end up as a thing for this, we will see!

Mount 3 - Looks like the top case can use porons for mount 3 as well?

Yes, if one wishes to use the porons for “mount 3”, it is possible too. The way to mount this board will not be limited to the above 3 examples. Say, another would like to use just 4 of the mounting tabs for the gasket strips for a “sandwich mount”, it’ll work too. There will be changes, however subtle.

Offline Nedzc27

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 28 February 2021, 15:10:08 »
Updates made! Do check them out above.

Offline fredprinz21

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 15 March 2021, 06:00:03 »
430USD is not affordable, IMHO.

GLWIC!

I don't know what every bodies individual idea of affordable is, but this:

430USD

Contradicts this:

4. A high-end, premium keyboard that doesn’t require you to break the bank!

Just in my opinion.
For the night is dark and full of terrors.

Offline darryldh

• loprokb.ca
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 16 March 2021, 08:49:49 »
looks cool! Nice work

Offline Nedzc27

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 16 March 2021, 16:32:27 »
Major updates made. Do check it out! (:
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 March 2021, 12:09:49 by Nedzc27 »

Offline Nonnegaard

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 16 March 2021, 16:45:11 »
I ****ing love the runes. With Ink Black and GMK Norse, it'll look nothing short of insane. People will criticize you for copying the IRON165 even though you have a solid theme and they literally look nothing alike. I don't like the helmet. It gives me MCU vibes, and it doesnt fit the board.
Aeon, TGR Jane V2, Dolphin 2021, Gherkin, Model M, 5°, NCR80, M0110-A

Offline vnflynn

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 16 March 2021, 20:59:34 »
After seeing the runes, I really need to get into your early bird list in some way. Third badge option is a must like I mentioned in my IC feedback. Thank you.

Offline Nedzc27

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 12:12:35 »
I ****ing love the runes. With Ink Black and GMK Norse, it'll look nothing short of insane. People will criticize you for copying the IRON165 even though you have a solid theme and they literally look nothing alike. I don't like the helmet. It gives me MCU vibes, and it doesnt fit the board.

Thank you! Yeah I kinda wanna pick up a set of GMK Norse for myself as well..  ;D

After seeing the runes, I really need to get into your early bird list in some way. Third badge option is a must like I mentioned in my IC feedback. Thank you.

Early bird offers might be happening..

Offline dansemacabre

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 22 March 2021, 05:32:52 »
Definitely looking forward to this Black PC version  :cool:
Keep up the good work!

Offline islam_taha

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 22 March 2021, 08:44:49 »
Definitely in!!, any rough estimate for the GB Q2/Q3, late May, late April, anything :D

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 22 March 2021, 09:01:03 »
Misleading slogan is annoying.

Offline Nedzc27

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 22 March 2021, 11:53:13 »
Definitely looking forward to this Black PC version  :cool:
Keep up the good work!

Thank you!

Definitely in!!, any rough estimate for the GB Q2/Q3, late May, late April, anything :D

Group buy will not be happening in Q2. Im looking at Q3 mid-end.

Protoype is arriving in about 4 weeks. Thereafter, sound tests, feel tests. And once all is good, prototype units will be sent to streamers for some promotion  ;D

Group buy happens right after that.  ;)

Offline Nedzc27

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 22 March 2021, 11:54:26 »

Sorry, it will never be my intention to mislead. May I know what is this with regards to?

Offline Nedzc27

« Reply #38 on: Mon, 22 March 2021, 12:20:11 »
updated!

Discord channel is up:

See you there!

Offline Nedzc27

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 24 March 2021, 12:12:22 »
Updates made! Please, do read them, above :thumb:

Instagram page is up too:

https://www.instagram.com/loki65kb

« Last Edit: Thu, 25 March 2021, 16:27:13 by Nedzc27 »

Offline Nedzc27

« Reply #40 on: Thu, 01 April 2021, 13:57:04 »
Wanted to share something interesting!

Im sure some here are familiar with Blacksimon, he posts and streams stuff on mechanical keyboards on YouTube and Twitch.

So, apparently there was some coverage on the Loki65 awhile back, I only managed to learn about it recently.

Of course, I had my own take on his comments about the board. Check out the clip, his comments, and mine:

Enjoy!  ;D

Original footage here:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/931778045?t=4899s

Simon’s awesome. Check out some of his stuff on Twitch. He makes awesome content and keeps things real.

Blacksimon’s Twitch channel:

https://twitch.tv/blacksimon

Offline Nedzc27

Re: [IC] Loki65, The Shapeshifting Board (multiple mounting options)
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 22 April 2021, 13:50:22 »
There has been some updates made! Do check it out :)

Offline Nedzc27

Re: [IC] Loki65, The Shapeshifting Board (multiple mounting options)
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 06 May 2021, 15:50:35 »
The prototype for the case and various components are being shipped over right now! Some pics in the updated post above (:

Offline Nedzc27

Discord and Instagram has been uploaded with more pictures  :thumb: :thumb:

Offline chiefmatex

« Reply #44 on: Fri, 14 May 2021, 07:17:04 »

Sorry, it will never be my intention to mislead. May I know what is this with regards to?

i could be wrong, but maybe he is referring to the "... that Shapeshifts" part. i was also confused, because when it said "shapeshifts" i expected to physically transform its external appearance or look

Offline Nedzc27

updated!
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 May 2021, 15:46:33 by Nedzc27 »

Offline RicWatt

So looking at the photos, the plate accommodates a split spacebar. Will this be the case with a hotswap board? If so take my money!

Offline Nedzc27

So looking at the photos, the plate accommodates a split spacebar. Will this be the case with a hotswap board? If so take my money!

Oh sorry, there will not be support planned for split spacebar for the soldered nor hotswap PCBs for this run. I wanted to provide a universal plate so further customisation could be done on your side if so desired.

Offline Nedzc27

post updated!

Offline FishyKeebs

• hey
very cool, i just wish there was an alu version