Author Topic: If you haven't seen it... it's new to you  (Read 10335 times)

Offline cherpalla

If you haven't seen it... it's new to you
« on: Thu, 02 January 2014, 12:47:46 »
Hi! I was a lurker for a long time, just finished up my first GB and have been a keyboard/PC enthusiast since I was a little girl. I live in the DC area, I'm a programmer for USA Today and a life-long gamer. I play mostly PC games these days, pretty much only WoW and LoL atm.

This is my Race, sporting Cherry MX Reds

This is my Choc Mini, also Cherry MX Reds

I can't wait to finish my latest creation, which is going to be my first time replacing a case.  :eek:

- Cher
c h e r

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
Re: If you haven't seen it... it's new to you
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 02 January 2014, 13:56:08 »
Welcome! That's pretty rad that you work for USA Today. Nice keyboards. I like the mini. Is that a sleeve in your photo or just the fabric? Hehe can't tell. Hope to see ya around more!

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 02 January 2014, 14:36:14 »
Welcome! That's pretty rad that you work for USA Today. Nice keyboards. I like the mini. Is that a sleeve in your photo or just the fabric? Hehe can't tell. Hope to see ya around more!

It's actually the way my hair fell, but:

That guy is living on my left forearm.
c h e r

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 02 January 2014, 14:38:36 »

Show Image

Oh very nice! :) I have my entire body covered.
Nice to meet you!

-Dustin

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 02 January 2014, 14:39:57 »

Show Image

Nice to meet you!

-Dustin

Nice to meet you, too... and I'm working on several. This is just my third one, but I've got 20 or so planned.
c h e r

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 02 January 2014, 14:40:56 »

Show Image

Nice to meet you!

-Dustin

Nice to meet you, too... and I'm working on several. This is just my third one, but I've got 20 or so planned.

Awesome! They are quite addicting that is Forsure.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 02 January 2014, 15:01:07 »
Congrats for stepping out of the shadows. 

Nice Link tat, too.

Offline regack

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 02 January 2014, 15:06:44 »
dat Tyson's Corner commute... I'm curious about your keycap patterns there...

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 02 January 2014, 15:22:20 »
Congrats for stepping out of the shadows. 

Nice Link tat, too.

dat Tyson's Corner commute... I'm curious about your keycap patterns there...

I live about 12 miles to the west right off of the toll, so I have it pretty easy.  :D

On my Race, the pattern is for WoW. I generally use 1-6/WASD more than anything else. On the Choc Mini... I just thought it would look pretty, other than the shifts/WASD cluster. The Shift keys are actually textured as well, again for WoW. The keyboard I'm working on now will probably only have different keys on Esc, 1-6 and QWERT for League, but I might still do WASD.
c h e r

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 02 January 2014, 15:51:24 »
Sweet link tat, is that twilight princess art inspired?

I wish I could get the rest of my gaming sleeve finished-  so far it's the Mario, Princess, Bowser, Koopa, Boo Family, and Star Kid.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 02 January 2014, 16:05:39 »

I wish I could get the rest of my gaming sleeve finished-  so far it's the Mario, Princess, Bowser, Koopa, Boo Family, and Star Kid.

Yes, yes it is! I'm wanting to add Zelda and the Twilight Sword to my bicep to complete it, but still concepting how to do it justice.

I'd love to see your Nintendo ink, I've got something planned for that series as well.
c h e r

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 02 January 2014, 16:10:18 »

Yes, yes it is! I'm wanting to add Zelda and the Twilight Sword to my bicep to complete it, but still concepting how to do it justice.

I'd love to see your Nintendo ink, I've got something planned for that series as well.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=37253.msg902734#msg902734

Use whatever concepts you'd like :)
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline codyeatworld

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 02 January 2014, 16:14:42 »
What kind of programming languages are you into?

That link tattoo is awesome! My only tattoo is a tri-force on my ankle :D

Welcome to geekhack too!

Offline ekw808

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Ekw
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 02 January 2014, 16:43:18 »
Awesome tattoo, much Zelda.
[One Keyboard at a time]

My Heatware Please comment, and I will do the same =D 

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 02 January 2014, 16:49:55 »

Sweet NES Love :)

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 02 January 2014, 23:13:50 »
sup
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 03 January 2014, 12:57:47 »

Love it!

Awesome tattoo, much Zelda.

What kind of programming languages are you into?

That link tattoo is awesome! My only tattoo is a tri-force on my ankle :D

Welcome to geekhack too!

Oooo. Nice! Currently I'm only working in Python and Django, but I've work in Coffee, Grails, Ruby, PHP, ASP.net and a few other random things. I also do a lot of front-end work in JS/HTML/CSS/AJAX/etc.

sup

nm sup w/ u
c h e r

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 03 January 2014, 14:30:26 »
Welcome to Geekhack? Haha.

I lived in Columbia when I worked at Meade, and that commute wasn't bad at all.

Is the 84-key layout your favorite? What other much boards have you tried?
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 03 January 2014, 18:50:32 »
nm sup w/ u

chillin'

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 03 January 2014, 22:00:59 »
Welcome to Geekhack? Haha.

I lived in Columbia when I worked at Meade, and that commute wasn't bad at all.

Is the 84-key layout your favorite? What other much boards have you tried?

Yeah, it is. I like having direct access to the Function keys, they are what I use to change friendly targets in WoW arena, and I have small hands. I've used 84, 87 and 104 layouts. I'm getting my first Poker in the next couple of months and also a QFR. I'm literally only buying these keyboards to use the keycaps I have hoarded.  :thumb:

nm sup w/ u

chillin'

:3 same
c h e r

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 01:12:33 »
demik is hella smoove.

More relevant:  Have you tried any of the mice with bindable buttons like the two m6xx logitechs?

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 01:25:52 »
Awesome that JS/CSS/HTML Front End is what I'm all about :)

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 03:45:53 »
demik is hella smoove.

More relevant:  Have you tried any of the mice with bindable buttons like the two m6xx logitechs?

All of them. Razer products have always fallen apart on me, so none of those were good, and for some reason, same with Logitech. I really liked the SteelSeries WoW mouse, though I always left it plugged in, so I don't know how it performs as a wireless mouse. Currently I use the Corsair M95 and it is my favorite mouse so far.
c h e r

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 13:21:19 »
demik is hella smoove.

All of them. Razer products have always fallen apart on me, so none of those were good, and for some reason, same with Logitech. I really liked the SteelSeries WoW mouse, though I always left it plugged in, so I don't know how it performs as a wireless mouse. Currently I use the Corsair M95 and it is my favorite mouse so far.

Weird, I've never had a logitech fail on me.  I've even had my g600 (I said m before, I meant g, clearly you got it though) since they released them and have had no issues.  Only reason I got the g602 was because I'd moved my gaming into my living room and didn't want cords strewn about.  Oh well though, to each their own.  I just figured it'd be an easy way to be able to enjoy the smaller of keyboards.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 15:06:55 »
Such gentlemen. Very chivalry.

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 15:27:37 »
Welcome to GH!

Before you get a Poker or a QFR, if you like that Race with reds, you might be ready to ascend to a higher plane of consciousness, and get yourself an HHKB Pro 2.  They are great for gaming.  And there are no LED lights to distract you.  Also you get Topre switches and PBT keycaps on the HHKB Pro 2, instead of those awful painted ABS keycaps that came with the KBT Race.  You'll need to replace those painted keycaps on that Race, because the paint will wear off in about a month of gaming, but you might have already found that out.

Nice tat btw. 

I got my first job after college in DC, but that was back during the Clinton Administration, which was probably before you were born.  lol.  Commuting out to VA suburbs wasn't bad back then.  But metro-DC has gone through some kind of super boom since I lived there:  it seems like there are more people, and more office buildings, and more single-occupant cars on the road than ever.

But back on topic:  Keyboards.  Even Sir demik of chivalry has learned to enjoy the good feeling of oneness with cup rubber.  Why not you?

I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline joneslee85

• HHKB Scrub JP
  • Professional Rubyist programmer!
    • Ruby Journal
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 15:35:25 »

Show Image

Dude, that Link.. Damn you must be Nintendo diehard fan.

Btw, good Race board, I'm never a fan of that due the fact that I hardly touch the F keys row since I stop using Internet Explorer and Windows. Still miss the day where I have to press F5 like crazy
TOO MANY KEYBOARDS THAT I COULD NOT COUNT! BUT I AM STILL USING MY MODEL F77

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 15:42:27 »

WOW !!!!!

demik is hella smoove.

Weird, I've never had a logitech fail on me.  I've even had my g600 (I said m before, I meant g, clearly you got it though) since they released them and have had no issues.  Only reason I got the g602 was because I'd moved my gaming into my living room and didn't want cords strewn about.  Oh well though, to each their own.  I just figured it'd be an easy way to be able to enjoy the smaller of keyboards.

My mom has had great luck with Logitech, but I've been completely soured on them. I do love my Corsair products, though, rock solid. (that's a league of legends joke, I'm sorry)

Welcome to GH!

Before you get a Poker or a QFR, if you like that Race with reds, you might be ready to ascend to a higher plane of consciousness, and get yourself an HHKB Pro 2.  They are great for gaming.  And there are no LED lights to distract you.  Also you get Topre switches and PBT keycaps on the HHKB Pro 2, instead of those awful painted ABS keycaps that came with the KBT Race.  You'll need to replace those painted keycaps on that Race, because the paint will wear off in about a month of gaming, but you might have already found that out.

Nice tat btw. 

I got my first job after college in DC, but that was back during the Clinton Administration, which was probably before you were born.  lol.  Commuting out to VA suburbs wasn't bad back then.  But metro-DC has gone through some kind of super boom since I lived there:  it seems like there are more people, and more office buildings, and more single-occupant cars on the road than ever.

But back on topic:  Keyboards.  Even Sir demik of chivalry has learned to enjoy the good feeling of oneness with cup rubber.  Why not you?

I actually prefer the LEDs, which is why I have bought the keyboards I have, because I game a lot in the dark. I do want a HHK, but I would probably get that for collection purposes or work. The keyboards I want to get atm are more because of the modding I want to do. I currently have all white/pink peripherals, other than my keyboard (but that's being worked on :X). That, and the pokemon-catch-em-all mentality.

I'm 28.......................................................................................... but thanks for the accidental compliment. :#

- Cher
c h e r

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 15:52:27 »

WOW !!!!!

Teach me your ways of shibe smoov, demik man of smoovness.

demik is hella smoove.

My mom has had great luck with Logitech, but I've been completely soured on them. I do love my Corsair products, though, rock solid. (that's a league of legends joke, I'm sorry)

That's ok, I'll "forgive" you this time.  Lol.  To be fair, other than their mechs, I've never had issues with corsair either.

Welcome to GH!

Nice tat btw. 

I actually prefer the LEDs, which is why I have bought the keyboards I have, because I game a lot in the dark. I do want a HHK, but I would probably get that for collection purposes or work. The keyboards I want to get atm are more because of the modding I want to do. I currently have all white/pink peripherals, other than my keyboard (but that's being worked on :X). That, and the pokemon-catch-em-all mentality.

I'm 28.......................................................................................... but thanks for the accidental compliment. :#

- Cher

eth0s is the gh grandpa, don't mind him.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 16:32:00 »
Careful with the mods. They put you on watch lists.

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 05 January 2014, 07:35:58 »
Careful with the mods. They put you on watch lists.

I'm a good forum poster, don't worry.  :cool:

WOW !!!!!

Teach me your ways of shibe smoov, demik man of smoovness.

demik is hella smoove.

That's ok, I'll "forgive" you this time.  Lol.  To be fair, other than their mechs, I've never had issues with corsair either.

Welcome to GH!

Nice tat btw. 

- Cher

eth0s is the gh grandpa, don't mind him.

lol!
c h e r

Offline TheHardkaare

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 10:00:22 »
Welcome to GeekHack!
Those are indeed some nice keyboards dudette!
Oh, and nice tat aswell! :)

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 10:41:34 »
Welcome to GeekHack!

Thank you, thank you!  :-*
c h e r

Offline TheHardkaare

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 10:59:58 »
Welcome to GeekHack!

Oh, by the way.
Would you recommend me to trash c++, and move over to Python, as a starting programmer? :)

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 14:10:06 »
Welcome to GeekHack!

Oh, by the way.
Would you recommend me to trash c++, and move over to Python, as a starting programmer? :)

I studied physics in college and so I never learned C++, but I think it does pave the way to go into iOS development, if that's what you're looking to do. If you're getting a degree in Computer Science, I would recommend taking it, it's a pre-requisite for a lot of other coursework. If you're just learning it on your own, I would recommend starting with Python, which is pretty popular atm, making you pretty marketable.
c h e r

Offline TheHardkaare

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 14:20:56 »
Welcome to GeekHack!

Oh, by the way.

I studied physics in college and so I never learned C++, but I think it does pave the way to go into iOS development, if that's what you're looking to do. If you're getting a degree in Computer Science, I would recommend taking it, it's a pre-requisite for a lot of other coursework. If you're just learning it on your own, I would recommend starting with Python, which is pretty popular atm, making you pretty marketable.

Oh I'm not going to study it any more than I'm doing right now. I'm 18 years old, going into the astronomy/astrophysics/cosmology branch after, so. It's just something I want to play with in my sparetime. I'm probably gonna learn it on my own.

Offline neoezekiel

• My GW2 Guild - The Fallen Souls [SouL]
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 15:34:28 »
Welcome to GeekHack!

Oh, by the way.

Oh I'm not going to study it any more than I'm doing right now. I'm 18 years old, going into the astronomy/astrophysics/cosmology branch after, so. It's just something I want to play with in my sparetime. I'm probably gonna learn it on my own.

I will second the recommendation to learn Python; C, Haskell, and R are also good languages to pick up as well as they are used quite a bit in the field. I spent most of my undergrad (Physics/Mathematics double major) writing C/C++ and Python until my Senior year where I ended up using R and Haskell for large data set analysis and modeling.

I recommend the path Python --> C++ --> C --> R --> A functional language (Haskell, Scheme, or Common LISP)

A good place to start is http://learnpythonthehardway.org/
The online version is free and the videos are inexpensive if you decide to go that route. I thought I used an earlier version of it when I was learning Python, but it may have been the O'Reilly text.
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 January 2014, 16:03:21 by neoezekiel »
WTB: Cherry G80-2550, GnCC/CCnG sets, led mx greens, mx dark greys, Plate Design Service, Case Design Service

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 16:04:18 »
Welcome to GeekHack!

Oh, by the way.

Welcome to GeekHack!

Oh, by the way.

I will second the recommendation to learn Python; C, Haskell, and R are also good languages to pick up as well as they are used quite a bit in the field. I spent most of my undergrad (Physics/Mathematics double major) writing C/C++ and Python until my Senior year where I ended up using R and Haskell for large data set analysis and modeling.

I recommend the path Python --> C++ --> C --> R --> A functional language (Haskell, Scheme, or Common LISP)

Three physicists who can program, huh? I feel like there's a joke somewhere in here...

I also specialized in astrophysics... was the most interesting time of my life. It's definitely something that I miss a lot. Theorizing in cosmology was definitely my favorite part of studying astronomy and the universe. Let me know if someone figures the universe's wavelength while I've got my boring programming job...

If you're just looking for a hobby, I would definitely jump right into Python.
c h e r

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 16:23:20 »
Three physicists who can program, huh? I feel like there's a joke somewhere in here...

All right let's give this a shot.
Three physicists, that can program and frequent geekhack go to a bar gym. The bartender personal trainer asks are you guys setting the bar high or low?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 16:25:06 »

Three physicists, that can program and frequent geekhack go to a bar gym. The bartender personal trainer asks are you guys setting the bar high or low?

Two Geekhack physicists walk into a bar. The third one ducks.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #40 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 17:57:31 »
this thread makes me feel stupid.

-goes back to manual labor-

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #41 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 18:53:10 »
Oh my stars, physics major?  I think I'm sufferin' from the vapors!

/southern hand fan

Offline TheHardkaare

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 12:03:59 »
Welcome to GeekHack!

Oh, by the way.

The online version is free and the videos are inexpensive if you decide to go that route. I thought I used an earlier version of it when I was learning Python, but it may have been the O'Reilly text.

Thank you for this. I will most likely end up doing it this way too. Thanks for the link, bookmarked it.
Also thanks for the various recommendations towards the end of my programming languages ;-)

Welcome to GeekHack!

Oh, by the way.

Welcome to GeekHack!

Oh, by the way.

I also specialized in astrophysics... was the most interesting time of my life. It's definitely something that I miss a lot. Theorizing in cosmology was definitely my favorite part of studying astronomy and the universe. Let me know if someone figures the universe's wavelength while I've got my boring programming job...

Oh boy, did you just encourage me to both continue on the path that I'm considering on taking.
And yeah, I'll be trying Python out ASAP :-)!

A side question: Why did you choose programming, since you found astrophysics and cosmology so interesting? That actually concerns me.
Oh, and you must feel lonely in a world of programmers as a female, don't ya? :P

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 12:14:16 »

Something, something, something, h-bar.

Two Geekhack physicists walk into a bar. The third one ducks.

Ouch, that hurt.

this thread makes me feel stupid.

-goes back to manual labor-

Oh my stars, physics major?  I think I'm sufferin' from the vapors!

/southern hand fan

Welcome to GeekHack!

Oh, by the way.

Thank you for this. I will most likely end up doing it this way too. Thanks for the link, bookmarked it.
Also thanks for the various recommendations towards the end of my programming languages ;-)

Welcome to GeekHack!

Oh, by the way.

Welcome to GeekHack!

Oh, by the way.

Oh boy, did you just encourage me to both continue on the path that I'm considering on taking.
And yeah, I'll be trying Python out ASAP :-)!

A side question: Why did you choose programming, since you found astrophysics and cosmology so interesting? That actually concerns me.
Oh, and you must feel lonely in a world of programmers as a female, don't ya? :P

+++ O'Reilly is the best.

As for how I became a programmer... oh my. I started messing around with HTML when I was 15 (I played EverQuest, had a successful guild, wanted a webpage). Before long I was making a bit of money from it. I did this pretty much all through high school and college, without ever intending on going down the computer science career path. I've never taken a single programming course. Queue the violins, I got pregnant when I was 21, which pretty much ended my dreams of becoming a physicist and exploring space and getting paid to think and theorize. Sidenote, I also was very into the entertainment industry, so that dream ended as well. Programming and graphic design gave me the opportunity to stay at home with my daughter and make a very decent living.

If things had been different, I'd not have chosen this as a career. It does have its entertaining moments, but I definitely stay for the stability and the money. I'd much rather be doing something I love and enjoy, while having the ability to develop my own apps and websites for personal endeavors or extra cash.
c h e r

Offline TheHardkaare

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 12:25:13 »

As for how I became a programmer... oh my. I started messing around with HTML when I was 15 (I played EverQuest, had a successful guild, wanted a webpage). Before long I was making a bit of money from it. I did this pretty much all through high school and college, without ever intending on going down the computer science career path. I've never taken a single programming course. Queue the violins, I got pregnant when I was 21, which pretty much ended my dreams of becoming a physicist and exploring space and getting paid to think and theorize. Sidenote, I also was very into the entertainment industry, so that dream ended as well. Programming and graphic design gave me the opportunity to stay at home with my daughter and make a very decent living.

If things had been different, I'd not have chosen this as a career. It does have its entertaining moments, but I definitely stay for the stability and the money. I'd much rather be doing something I love and enjoy, while having the ability to develop my own apps and websites for personal endeavors or extra cash.

Woah, this is interesting.
A whole lifestory squezzed into a few lines of text.
I hope something doesn't come up for me. Otherwise I'll end up doing as you, I'm betting :P (NOT meant in a negative way at all, I just want to pursue a job that I feel I love and want to attend every day)

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 12:42:24 »
Two space marines, a maurauder and three programing geekhackers walk into a bar. The maurauder eyes the geekhackers and asks "where is the counter?"
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 January 2014, 17:29:00 by the1onewolf »

Offline codyeatworld

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 14:52:34 »

Congrats on your daughter! I'm 22 and have daughter as well, she is the reason I went into programming!
I also got into html/css by making a clan website for a ps2 game socom probably around the same age.

I enjoy programing more and more though, why do you find it so boring?
edit: Well after thinking about it I can see how its boring if you were doing astrophysics and theory. (that stuff is beyond me though, but very interesting)
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 January 2014, 15:03:43 by codyeatworld »

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #47 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 14:55:29 »

Congrats on your daughter! I'm 22 and have daughter as well, she is the reason I went into programming!
I also got into html/css by making a clan website for a ps2 game socom probably around the same age.

Thats wonderful! Congrats to both of you! :)

I do find coding to get boring which is why I love doing so much Graphic Design. Thats where the real fun happens. ;)

Offline Rea

« Reply #48 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 16:49:49 »
Good to know that there are people who can programm and design software. I think it's a really big problem that really powerful and functional Software has in most times a ****ty GUI and is only made for people who can work with on a shell (but most can't).

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 08 January 2014, 13:37:41 »
Good to know that there are people who can programm and design software. I think it's a really big problem that really powerful and functional Software has in most times a ****ty GUI and is only made for people who can work with on a shell (but most can't).

I think that's changed a lot of the last 5-6 years. Some of the best software now is also the most aesthetic and user-friendly.

Thats wonderful! Congrats to both of you! :)

I do find coding to get boring which is why I love doing so much Graphic Design. Thats where the real fun happens. ;)

Yea, doing anything creative for me is definitely better than coding. There are times with coding/programming CAN be exciting and fun, but usually that's only when you're building something new. I find that to be more and more a rarity in this industry, with plugins and copy/paste and app maintaining.

Woah, this is interesting.
A whole lifestory squezzed into a few lines of text.
I hope something doesn't come up for me. Otherwise I'll end up doing as you, I'm betting :P (NOT meant in a negative way at all, I just want to pursue a job that I feel I love and want to attend every day)

I don't take offense, and I hope you find something enjoyable for a career that pays enough for you to be comfy. :3

Two space marines, a maurauder and three programing geekhackers walk into a bar. The maurauder eyes the geekhackers and asks "where is the counter?"

:))

edit: Well after thinking about it I can see how its boring if you were doing astrophysics and theory. (that stuff is beyond me though, but very interesting)

Mine's 6. :3 And that's awesome. We have a lot in common. :X

I like the problem solving aspect of programming, but having to problem solve anymore is not a common occurrence. Most of what I do is incredibly repetitive and often times we wind up using APIs, plugins or good old copy/paste anymore instead of reinventing the wheel. Nothing really feels new and exciting, and I have zero interest in learning other programming languages at this point.
c h e r

Offline TheHardkaare

« Reply #50 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 06:51:40 »
I'd much rather have a job not paying me so much, that I love, instead of one paying a lot, that I don't want to go to when I wake up.
I'm sure this isn't what you meant, but in case it was ;-)

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #51 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 10:10:08 »
I'd much rather have a job not paying me so much, that I love, instead of one paying a lot, that I don't want to go to when I wake up.
I'm sure this isn't what you meant, but in case it was ;-)

That's what I meant. Being forced into the latter by life is rough.
c h e r

Offline hellerbarde

• stumbling through the mechanical keyboard world.
« Reply #52 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 11:23:29 »
Hi, I'm new too.  :)

For anyone wanting to get into Functional Programming, might I recommend looking into http://elixir-lang.org/, it's a pretty new language, but it is based on the incredibly powerful Erlang VM. So it's fully interoperable with Erlang code (Modules? Libraries? I'm unfamiliar with Erlang...)

I recently decided that I want to focus my recreational programming on
  • Python (because I am entirely in love with it)
  • Go (because it compiles down to the metal)
  • Elixir (because I don't understand functional programming yet and I like a challenge.)

Also:

Code: [Select]
>>> vote["python"] += 1
 ;)

I'll now stop sidetracking your thread.

Yay for meeting new people!

EDIT: fix formatting fail.
objectoriented when someone felt like it.

Offline codyeatworld

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #53 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 13:22:42 »
Yeah we do! My daughter is only 10 months :D

I like the problem solving aspect of programming, but having to problem solve anymore is not a common occurrence. Most of what I do is incredibly repetitive and often times we wind up using APIs, plugins or good old copy/paste anymore instead of reinventing the wheel. Nothing really feels new and exciting, and I have zero interest in learning other programming languages at this point.

I agree it can be extremely repetitive, copy pasta is no fun either. I have most of that stuff bootstraped so I get straight to the functional code and views. I've been using Ruby for a year and ready for a change.
I don't use API's that much because I never really needed too, but I am gonna use one today and I'm rather excited about using it, and plans to use another one shortly after.

Do you have any side projects?
The site I've been working on in my spare time is http://ctrlaltgroupbuy.com/ and I enjoy working on it. Feel free to PM me if you wanna check out the source or anything. I have a feeling you might like contributing to it!

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #54 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 13:36:52 »

I agree it can be extremely repetitive, copy pasta is no fun either. I have most of that stuff bootstraped so I get straight to the functional code and views. I've been using Ruby for a year and ready for a change.
I don't use API's that much because I never really needed too, but I am gonna use one today and I'm rather excited about using it, and plans to use another one shortly after.

The site I've been working on in my spare time is http://ctrlaltgroupbuy.com/ and I enjoy working on it. Feel free to PM me if you wanna check out the source or anything. I have a feeling you might like contributing to it!

I'm trying to work on something with the YouTube API that's a personal thing, but for the most part all of my bandwidth goes to my job, daughter and videogames. Keyboard building is really the only thing I take time away from gaming for.

I get a bit pushed into business requirements and time restraints being at a huge corporation. It was much easier to do my own thing when I was at small companies or freelancing. Now I don't generally get a choice.

Ctrl Alt Del looks very cool. I would probably be interested in helping you out if you needed it, but I'm not really sure how much time I'd be able to offer. Hearthstone is like my life atm. lol
c h e r

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #55 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 12:47:40 »
Yeah I love being creative! Makes the work fun. But yes as you say programming can be fun. Same w my front end stuff, when doing something new, custom and exciting. :)

Yeah Cody's website is nice, now with SSL ;)

Offline Kamen Rider Blade

« Reply #56 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 23:04:04 »

I'm trying to work on something with the YouTube API that's a personal thing, but for the most part all of my bandwidth goes to my job, daughter and videogames. Keyboard building is really the only thing I take time away from gaming for.

I get a bit pushed into business requirements and time restraints being at a huge corporation. It was much easier to do my own thing when I was at small companies or freelancing. Now I don't generally get a choice.

Ctrl Alt Del looks very cool. I would probably be interested in helping you out if you needed it, but I'm not really sure how much time I'd be able to offer. Hearthstone is like my life atm. lol

You should get back into League of Legends

So many of us Geek Hack folks who play

We need to form some sort of group for LoL

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #57 on: Fri, 21 February 2014, 09:43:32 »

You should get back into League of Legends

So many of us Geek Hack folks who play

We need to form some sort of group for LoL

I do still play League, but I haven't even finished my placements for this season. You can add me: Cherpx. I'll be honest though, I'm really close to getting Legend in Hearthstone this season, and the seasons are short, so I really want to do that first. I'm also making big huge changes in my life career-wise, so I've got a lot going on!!

Cher
c h e r