Author Topic: Hey folks!  (Read 1510 times)

Offline dirtyblacksocks

Hey folks!
« on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 18:12:48 »
I'm completely new to custom keyboard builds, I was actually brought over here by a member of yours, HPE1000.

Anyway, I've dealt with mechanical keyboards quite a bit - I'm 31 years old and grew up learning to type on the old IBM M keyboards, and I've personally owned a Logitech G710+ and a few different Black Widow's - all of which are great builds, but I've gotta say they feel flimsy, there is something to them that isn't quite right and they wear in pretty fast.

Right now I've got a Logitech G710+ with some Octopus tactile orange keys to replace the arrow and WASD keys.

I'm a Disabled Veteran - so I spend a lot of my time on the computer, considering that a keyboard, mouse, and bed are the three most used things in my life - I figure I should look into making a keyboard of my own.

Certainly going to be a lot to learn. I'd like to ensure I know everything I can before I drop $500+ on a keyboard, y'know?

I'm glad to be here, though, and look forward to getting to figure all of this out. I've got a new computer build scheduled for about 8-10 months from now, so I figure I'll order in some of the stuff for a custom keyboard in between and hopefully it will arrive around the time I'm ready to start the build, or at the builds completion.

Great timing!

A lot of my time is spent helping Veteran's with PTSD and active duty military members. The rest of my time is spent training service dogs and rehabilitating abused dogs, and the REST of that time is spent working on My Little Pony stuff (yep, I'm a dreaded Brony) with one of the few people who makes a living doing MLP related art year 'round.

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Hey folks!
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 18:14:35 »
Haha I like this combination combination of hobbies. Welcome to GeekHack! If you're into making your own keyboard, you should definitely check out the "Making Stuff Together" sub-forum.

Offline dirtyblacksocks

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 18:20:02 »
Haha I like this combination combination of hobbies. Welcome to GeekHack! If you're into making your own keyboard, you should definitely check out the "Making Stuff Together" sub-forum.

Will do, thanks! Definitely going to be scouring the forums for FAQs and stickies to try and get myself up to speed, as it stands right now I barely know what 10keyless means :P

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 18:54:57 »
Thanks for your service man. As a veteran myself I really appreciate what you guys do for those with PTSD.

Welcome to geekhack!
« Last Edit: Sat, 01 February 2014, 20:49:50 by katushkin »
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline dirtyblacksocks

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 19:04:44 »
Thanks for your service man. As an ex-veteran myself I really appreciate what you guys do for those with PTSD.

Welcome to geekhack!

Woah woah woah, no such thing as an ex-Veteran. Thanks for your service, but once you've served, you're a Veteran. :)

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 19:15:05 »
Welcome to wallethack oops, I mean geekhack. Have fun, just don't look at the group buys and classifieds too much or you might find your wallet much lighter than before :P

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 20:50:30 »

Woah woah woah, no such thing as an ex-Veteran. Thanks for your service, but once you've served, you're a Veteran. :)

Hah, that's what I meant. Changed my OP, but still, thanks for all you do dude.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin