Author Topic: [IC] SKB2 - steel, isolation top mount, powder coated / ETA set!  (Read 285349 times)

Offline PlastikSchnittstelle

Re: [IC] SKB2 - steel case, decoupled plate, powder coated
« Reply #100 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 07:47:13 »
How about a 75% but with a staggered function row and dettached nav keys? There's a vendor that sells a pcb with that layout...  ;D

Where can I find said PCB??

yes, where please?!
but also yes, I do prefer such a layout over the KBDfans 75% layout. I'll do renderings and look out for colaboration regarding PCBs.

« Reply #101 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 07:49:42 »
This is merely just personal preference but upon seeing the TKL renders, I actually think black or grey instead of beige would work better for that form factor.

Agreed, lemme see black with Dolch. mmm hmm.

yep, will do so, but need more time, probably a few more days.

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.
« Reply #102 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 07:51:26 »
How about a 75% but with a staggered function row and dettached nav keys? There's a vendor that sells a pcb with that layout...  ;D

yes, where please?!
but also yes, I do prefer such a layout over the KBDfans 75% layout. I'll do renderings and look out for colaboration regarding PCBs.

wouldn't such a layout require a different topside plate? (colour me interested, too)

« Reply #103 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 08:02:09 »
In the past I've owned the very nice apple a1243 keyboard.

It would be nice to replicate that look, not necessarily through anodization, but simply with a transparent and protective layer which prevents the oxydation of the aluminium.

Painting aluminium is very complicated and it often ends up with a fragile finish. I wonder how the first released skb cases are doing...

Just to give an example, the first mountain bike frames had fragile coatings, while now the industry has gotten really better, I don't know if the use some primers or if they make a temperature controlled treatmen by heating the frame.

Anyway I've a very big fan of your project, I'm looking for a tkl is keyboard (not decided yet on the wkl or standard bottom row). Anyway, if you could include a pcb along with the case, that would be a nice effort.

Another question, how big is the bezel on the bottom and left side, measured from the keys?

thanks

most of what you say assumes that the case is made of aluminum - it's NOT, please read the title, it says STEEL. anodizing is a process that works exclusively on aluminium, not steel.
powder coating is not like a paint job, it is very different and resistant.
I'm happy you like the project, but if you are looking to get aluminum - no, won't happen, me and aluminum are DONE.

bezel size:
left/right: 12mm each
bottom/top: 16.5mm each

« Reply #104 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 08:06:28 »
Very interested after seeing how great round 1 turned out. I agree with you completely on 60% being the best looking size. Is there a reason you removed the 2 screws on the side of the board from round 1? Aesthetically I feel like the 2 screws really hammered home the industrial look of the board. Also if you were to do an alice variant, would you be able to bend the steel to fit the curves of the alice or would it just be rectangular with alice layout?

Count me in for one, great job!

I just went with the more traditional mounting style, four mounting points at top and bottom. in terms of feeling there wasn't really any benefit to the two side mounting points. without having them on the sides, the bezel can be smaller there.

« Reply #105 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 08:09:37 »
general info:
as you can see, I just answered a whole lot of question in one go. it will probably often be like that. a few days, I won't answer and will focuse more on other stuff, then answer what came up in one go.

Offline ilezia

« Reply #106 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 08:11:35 »
First bent steel case that I like the look of. Not sure how well it would work for keyboards but since it's sheet steel have you looked at blackened hot (or cold) rolled steel as a finish? It's often used for architectural furniture like reception desks and for a while I've kinda wanted to see someone try it out for a keyboard. Obviously as it's a live finish so every keyboard would be unique and maybe some people wouldn't like it?

Some images of architectural work:

« Reply #107 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 08:33:20 »
First bent steel case that I like the look of. Not sure how well it would work for keyboards but since it's sheet steel have you looked at blackened hot (or cold) rolled steel as a finish? It's often used for architectural furniture like reception desks and for a while I've kinda wanted to see someone try it out for a keyboard. Obviously as it's a live finish so every keyboard would be unique and maybe some people wouldn't like it?

:eek:
the company that does the surface treatement of the plate will know more about this. I had something else besides powder coating in mind but not that. not sure if I'd still like it in the context of a keyboard, but I'll talk about it with the surface treatement guys next time.

wait, if "blackened" means "brüniert" auf deutsch then this is the surface treatement that the steel plates from the SKB1 GB got. I know that. this time the steel plates will get a similar looking but more resistent finish with deeper black.
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 November 2019, 08:35:50 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

Offline ilezia

« Reply #108 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 08:39:17 »

:eek:
the company that does the surface treatement of the plate will know more about this. I had something else besides powder coating in mind but not that. not sure if I'd still like it in the context of a keyboard, but I'll talk about it with the surface treatement guys next time.

wait, if "blackened" means "brüniert" auf deutsch then this is the surface treatement that the steel plates from the SKB1 GB got. I know that. this time the steel plates will get a similar looking but more resistent finish with deeper black.

Ah, may very well be. Apologies, looking at the photos I made the assumption that they were powder-coated black as well. Didn't read carefully enough! Was it just the plate that got this on SKB1? Or was there a case like this as well?

« Reply #109 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 08:41:39 »
Ah, may very well be. Apologies, looking at the photos I made the assumption that they were powder-coated black as well. Didn't read carefully enough! Was it just the plate that got this on SKB1? Or was there a case like this as well?

it was just the plate. the case of SKB1 was made of aluminum, bead blasted and anodized.

Offline Handke

« Reply #110 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 09:07:32 »
I'm sorry that you had so many troubles in making an alu case, I just wonder what process are other people using since it is used almost exclusively on all the keyboards that I've seen in these years. Probably the main problem you encountered comes with the bending.

Anyway steel is good, if you use stainless steel, it's even better. What thickness are you going to use? I just wonder how does aluminium sound in comparison. Probably steel is going to sound higher pitched than aluminium.

And remember that even if its inox, it still rusts when it's dirty... So it should be really high quality steel.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #111 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 09:21:59 »
I am also wondering what steel Plastik is contemplating on.
I posted some photos on last page about the "brushed", "sandblasted", and "antiqued" finishes of stainless steel Zippo lighters and I think those will match well with some shiny stainless steel hex screws.
If non-stainless steel is used, I think there will be some anti-rust treatment before the powder-coating.
I can also imagine "enamel" finishing like some of the enthusiast racer cars engines and some other industrial machines that needed to be operated, e.g. the steel body of some industrial sewing machines or kitchen mixers. The enamel may chip if dropped or hit by great force but otherwise very durable.

It is like a "Industrial material series" - first aluminium, then steel, etc.
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

« Reply #112 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 14:41:55 »
I'm sorry that you had so many troubles in making an alu case, I just wonder what process are other people using since it is used almost exclusively on all the keyboards that I've seen in these years. Probably the main problem you encountered comes with the bending.
other keyboards? you mean the CNC custom keyboards? every IC/GB carefully explains what kind of material, production method and surface treatment or finish is used, no need to wonder. it is mostly aluminum, cnc, bead blasting and anodizing.
and yes, the combination of bending and aluminum was one of the main issues. that's why on most PC cases that come with an aluminum front you see these huge radiuses. there was more to it, for example sheet metal aluminum comes in different alloys compared to aluminum blocks for CNCing -. not the same result after anodizing.

Anyway steel is good, if you use stainless steel, it's even better. What thickness are you going to use? I just wonder how does aluminium sound in comparison. Probably steel is going to sound higher pitched than aluminium.
when powder coating, you certainly don't use stainless steel, that's a waste of money. the coating protects the steel and prevents it from rusting.
It's 1.5mm thickness. with this thickness the 60% already weights 1.35kg (mentioned in the start post).
imo the sound is influenced by the density of the material and overall mass/weight of the case (and more factors of course). what also plays a major factor is the decoupling/dampened mounting of the plate. I think it sound deeper compared to alu, not any resonating sound due tue the density of the material and even more due to the decoupled mounting of the plate. to me it's immediately, deeply satisfying :)
like mentioned in the start post, I'll send to next prototypes to reviewers who can review/test it - they are in a better position to give you a detailed opinion about sound and more.

And remember that even if its inox, it still rusts when it's dirty... So it should be really high quality steel.
yes, thanks, I do know that. the company that does the powder coating uses a five phase cleaning procedure. intensive and automated cleaning is a standard procedure before the coating. again, you just use standard steel when you powder coat, definitely NOT stainless steel. though there is a huge number of different steels to choose from. I have friends who work in engineering and automotive, so I have ways to figure out what the most suited alloy is.

please, if you you have actually worked with metals in the context of engineering, industrial design or automotive design and you actually know what you are talking about, then good. but otherwise you just cause confusion. no offense, I know you mean it well.
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 November 2019, 14:45:55 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

« Reply #113 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 14:45:38 »
I posted some photos on last page about the "brushed", "sandblasted", and "antiqued" finishes of stainless steel Zippo lighters and I think those will match well with some shiny stainless steel hex screws.
I saw that, and yes, one of those you showed there was already on my mind, OKAAAY!
let's just keep quiet about this and wait ;)

If non-stainless steel is used, I think there will be some anti-rust treatment before the powder-coating.
like described in the post before, that's a standard procedure.

I can also imagine "enamel" finishing like some of the enthusiast racer cars engines and some other industrial machines that needed to be operated, e.g. the steel body of some industrial sewing machines or kitchen mixers. The enamel may chip if dropped or hit by great force but otherwise very durable.
enamel paint is not nearly as resistant as powder coating. powder coating is not some paint job!

« Reply #114 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 14:48:29 »
This is merely just personal preference but upon seeing the TKL renders, I actually think black or grey instead of beige would work better for that form factor.

OKAY,
I compared more RAL colors, trying to find a good match for dolch alpha base aka GMK-CC. RAL7021 fits pretty well i think. this will also go well with modern dolch and many other dark sets.
made new renderings, look:
229670-0 229672-1 229674-2

Offline steezkeez

« Reply #115 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 15:37:05 »
OKAY,
I compared more RAL colors, trying to find a good match for dolch alpha base aka GMK-CC. RAL7021 fits pretty well i think. this will also go well with modern dolch and many other dark sets.
(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

Really digging this color over beige, would definitely be in for a TKL in grey or black  :thumb:

Also, just want to say that your attentiveness to this IC has not gone unnoticed. Really appreciate the thought you're putting into responses and the knowledge you're sharing regarding the overall design and manufacturing process - it's great to see the passion behind the product. Thank you for the hard work!

Offline wholypantalones

• text and icon mods plz.
« Reply #116 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 15:40:45 »

OKAY,
(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

Offline ZG2047

« Reply #117 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 16:13:26 »
RAL 7021 looks like it would match GMK Oblivio V2 very well

« Reply #118 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 16:23:42 »
yes, it would!

« Reply #119 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 16:51:46 »
got an update regarding PCB collaboration:

I talked to maartenwut. His PCBs will be available with SKB2. So you will have the option to get a really good QMK powered PCB together with the case. Plain60-C and TA-65 for sure I would say. I'm working on more ;)

Offline rondg

« Reply #120 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 17:46:12 »

I talked to maartenwut. His PCBs will be available with SKB2. So you will have the option to get a really good QMK powered PCB together with the case. Plain60-C and TA-65 for sure I would say. I'm working on more ;)

A new 75% layout.. Please? Staggered function row and detached nav cluster.  ;D

« Reply #121 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 19:16:17 »

I prefer those over the KBD75 style as well. the style you describe is how 75% is done right. we'll see...

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #122 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 19:47:32 »

I prefer those over the KBD75 style as well. the style you describe is how 75% is done right. we'll see...

Fully agreed. Xeno/Satisfaction is the only correct way to do 75%. Regular ones just look too blocky, they're like oversized 60s and look so condensed.

Offline hansikhouse

« Reply #123 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 20:42:00 »

Hiney is very supportive with providing h87a's, and maybe you could be the first alternative case to support the h88's  ;) ;) ;)

Offline rondg

« Reply #124 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 20:44:14 »

yes, where please?!

TXKeyboards.. Not sure though if the maker will make tons of these PCBs

Offline Adelscott

« Reply #125 on: Fri, 08 November 2019, 01:58:48 »

yes, where please?!

TXKeyboards.. Not sure though if the maker will make tons of these PCBs
No ISO enter on TX 75, so he won't sell mine !
Please think about ISO users, add a split left shift to your "alice style" keyboards

« Reply #126 on: Fri, 08 November 2019, 14:33:03 »
here are more renderings of 65%, RAL7021 and dolch:

229724-0 229726-1 229728-2

« Reply #127 on: Fri, 08 November 2019, 14:34:43 »
Update:
I'm currently preparing the data for making the next prototypes. these will be another 60%, 65% with blockers (as seen in the renderings), TKL and maybe 75%, not sure jet. colors will be RAL9002, RAL7021 and a third one that I don't know jet. will show more renderings when I have the time.

question:
what GMK set would you suggest to make the third RAL color fit for?

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.
« Reply #128 on: Fri, 08 November 2019, 15:10:21 »
Update:
I'm currently preparing the data for making the next prototypes. these will be another 60%, 65% with blockers (as seen in the renderings), TKL and maybe 75%, not sure jet. colors will be RAL9002, RAL7021 and a third one that I don't know jet. will show more renderings when I have the time.

question:

I like blue.

Offline Rafa_n

« Reply #129 on: Fri, 08 November 2019, 15:14:34 »
Update:

question:

GMK Bento!

Offline steezkeez

« Reply #130 on: Fri, 08 November 2019, 15:38:23 »
Update:

Would the TKL be WK or WKL? My vote is for WKL :)

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #131 on: Fri, 08 November 2019, 15:59:23 »
question:

As per one of my previous posts, I think taking advantage of powder coating to do some more "out there" colour(s) that are hard to pull off with anodisation would be a nice idea - eg. bright orange, banana yellow, lime green, neon pink, etc. I personally feel they'd look cool with the industrial look of the board too and contrast with the black exposed screws etc.

Most would also probably be a nice match with most "neutral" sets (eg. WOB, BOW, greys, beiges, etc) and because it sorta inverts the dynamic of the case being the "canvas" (eg. black case with GMK Laser or what have you), I think it'd be refreshing to see.

PS: Given the previous round and the design language in general, this might not be something you're into at all which is perfectly understandable, but either way.
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 November 2019, 16:01:06 by Vigrith »

Offline SteffeMK

« Reply #132 on: Fri, 08 November 2019, 16:34:48 »
Update:

question:
A navy blue or burgundy color would be nice to see

Skickat frĺn min ONEPLUS A6013 via Tapatalk

Offline Jhambone9160

« Reply #133 on: Sat, 09 November 2019, 07:24:29 »
Love the TKL Renders.

A limited edition tempered steel case covered in a clear powder coat would be dope.

Offline bluesclera

« Reply #134 on: Sat, 09 November 2019, 07:36:03 »
Since it's stainless steel, how about an polished option with no coating? just raw stainless steel with matching silver nuts. Would buy instantly.

Offline qwertypoiu

« Reply #135 on: Sat, 09 November 2019, 11:20:33 »
I really like the "Aperture" powder-coat finish from Norbauer's Heavy 6 series https://shop.norbauer.com/products/heavy-6?variant=8952287887414 ... it might match very well with the industrial design aesthetic of the SKB?!

What do you guys think?

Offline Hell-es

« Reply #136 on: Sat, 09 November 2019, 11:55:54 »
Since it's stainless steel, how about an polished option with no coating? just raw stainless steel with matching silver nuts. Would buy instantly.
it‘s not stainless - afaik

Offline LoneRegiment

« Reply #137 on: Sat, 09 November 2019, 11:59:30 »
Since the exposed hardware is such a big part of the design I think it would be worth offering a few different colors of screws to really customize the looks

Offline Senor Coconut

• FR (ISO or not)
« Reply #138 on: Sat, 09 November 2019, 12:04:12 »
@LoneRegiment, I do agree with you.

Offline saesh

« Reply #139 on: Sat, 09 November 2019, 13:11:50 »
I wonder what the case would like if it is also bent inwards on the bottom.

« Reply #140 on: Sat, 09 November 2019, 13:33:34 »
question:

As per one of my previous posts, I think taking advantage of powder coating to do some more "out there" colour(s) that are hard to pull off with anodisation would be a nice idea - eg. bright orange, banana yellow, lime green, neon pink, etc. I personally feel they'd look cool with the industrial look of the board too and contrast with the black exposed screws etc.

Most would also probably be a nice match with most "neutral" sets (eg. WOB, BOW, greys, beiges, etc) and because it sorta inverts the dynamic of the case being the "canvas" (eg. black case with GMK Laser or what have you), I think it'd be refreshing to see.

I totally agree!

« Reply #141 on: Sat, 09 November 2019, 13:40:41 »
it‘s not stainless - afaik

exactly, thanx brot!
read here:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103257.msg2831276#msg2831276

polishing is for sure not an option, sorry but this would push the price into a much higher region. I don't want that.

a stainlees steel version without powder coating was mentioned before, it was on my mind already. I think of stainless steel sandblasted or bead blasted, not sure what is the better choice there. I'll talk to the company that does the surface treatment for the plates (different company than the one that does the powder coating), they do this stuff as well.

« Reply #142 on: Sat, 09 November 2019, 13:46:19 »
Since the exposed hardware is such a big part of the design I think it would be worth offering a few different colors of screws to really customize the looks

@LoneRegiment, I do agree with you.

colored screws, please read this:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103257.msg2830018#msg2830018

« Reply #143 on: Sat, 09 November 2019, 13:48:07 »
I wonder what the case would like if it is also bent inwards on the bottom.

in theory that would be nice, practically that's not possible.
bending u-profiles generally is possible, but not like this. if you are familiar with bending sheet metal and how the process and machines/tools work, you would know why.

« Reply #144 on: Sat, 09 November 2019, 13:51:32 »
I really like the "Aperture" powder-coat finish from Norbauer's Heavy 6 series https://shop.norbauer.com/products/heavy-6?variant=8952287887414 ... it might match very well with the industrial design aesthetic of the SKB?!

What do you guys think?

no hammerschlag surface.
can't have too many different surface options, would make the whole GB unmanagable for me, sorry.
« Last Edit: Sat, 09 November 2019, 13:56:28 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

« Reply #145 on: Sat, 09 November 2019, 14:07:40 »
Would the TKL be WK or WKL? My vote is for WKL :)

that's the same situation like with 60%. when I decide to make the size, then it is pretty simple for me to offer the top part with different cutouts, in other words standard/WKL/HHKB etc.
so TKL would will be WK&WKL.
:)

Offline menuhin

« Reply #146 on: Sat, 09 November 2019, 16:02:07 »

What do you guys think?

no hammerschlag surface.
can't have too many different surface options, would make the whole GB unmanagable for me, sorry.

Wow, there are so many hammerschlag finishes I just found: red, gold, bluish grey, etc.
https://german.alibaba.com/product-detail/electrostatic-thermosetting-hammertone-powder-coating-60205407325.html
https://german.alibaba.com/product-detail/electrostatic-spray-antique-golden-hammer-tone-finish-powder-coating-1051185040.html

May as well pick just one Hammerschlag finish to replace the boring straight black or straight grey finish.
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline wholypantalones

• text and icon mods plz.
« Reply #147 on: Sat, 09 November 2019, 19:43:17 »

What do you guys think?

no hammerschlag surface.

Wow, there are so many hammerschlag finishes I just found: red, gold, bluish grey, etc.
https://german.alibaba.com/product-detail/electrostatic-thermosetting-hammertone-powder-coating-60205407325.html
https://german.alibaba.com/product-detail/electrostatic-spray-antique-golden-hammer-tone-finish-powder-coating-1051185040.html

May as well pick just one Hammerschlag finish to replace the boring straight black or straight grey finish.

Some of us like boring gray and black, and that finish just looks like a bad paint job.

Offline Adelscott

« Reply #148 on: Sat, 09 November 2019, 19:48:21 »

What do you guys think?

no hammerschlag surface.

Some of us like boring gray and black, and that finish just looks like a bad paint job.
Couldn't agree more !
Please think about ISO users, add a split left shift to your "alice style" keyboards

Offline menuhin

« Reply #149 on: Sat, 09 November 2019, 20:20:52 »
More

What do you guys think?

no hammerschlag surface.

What do you guys think?

no hammerschlag surface.

Couldn't agree more !

This looks like a bad paint job? Okay...
More
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT