Author Topic: Who lives in Chicago and knows pretty much about those car dealers?  (Read 1883 times)

Offline feng

• * Vendor
Crab, Crab, Crab....:pout:

I went to Chicago today, all the way down from St. Louis. 6 hours trip. I found they have a bit lower prices for cars there than the ones in St. Louis.

And then I went to 2 of the dealers that I picked. One of them has a 2012 Volkswagen Tiguan S - $20,975. I thought I can cut it down to at least $20,000. So I gave them my offer of $19,800. And they said to me $20,975 is the best they can do. They don't even give me a $1 discount?!

The another dealer has a 2011 Tiguan S for $19,900. When I got there, and I had tested the car and started talking about the price. They told me, it was sold this morning, and they don't even know why they still have that key.

There was another Tiguan that I'm interested in, but it was like 6pm, and I think the dealers were closing so I didn't go.

So, I took another 6 hours trip back to St. Louis. I wasted about $400 (a brand new TypeNow Solid T_T) on this trip, and came back with nothing.

Don't know what to say.

My friend told me that usually you could have a $1000-$2000 discount when you're buying a car. At least $1000 he said. But today, the fact showed me something different. They can give you $0 discount, seriously.

Dispointed. :(  

Anybody could possibly give me some advises about dealing with those car dealers?

Much appreciate.

BTW, I really don't know much about cars. Any better choices I may have rather than choosing a Tiguan? For the ranfe of $18,000-$20,000.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Who lives in Chicago and knows pretty much about those car dealers?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 13 June 2012, 08:42:28 »
For the last couple of cars I bought, I hired a broker. He was a guy who had worked at numerous dealers, and knew the ropes. We paid him $350 the first time and $500 the second, and he did our shopping and dealing for us.

I don't know whether he truly helped, but we did get good cars at good prices. I trusted the guy and found him through the grapevine.

We live in Atlanta, so I have no idea about your area, but if you found somebody you trusted, it might be worth considering.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline sainrub

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 13 June 2012, 17:45:15 »
That sucks buddy, I haven't been car shopping in so long but I do remember the Auto Barn was the place to buy Volkswagons. How did you lose that TypeNow Solid though?

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
    • DanGWanG's Keyboard Blog
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 14 June 2012, 17:17:00 »
Oh Chicago...what can I say about Chicago.  We're cheap.

But in all seriousness, I've had excellent findings here and I think at the end of the day, it's all about the car and dealership you're buying from.  Some dealers will be fine in giving you money off, and some just really won't budge.  I feel bad that you came all the way from St. Louis to find a bad deal, but if prices were already lower than you expected, nothing more you can do if they won't budge on the price.

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 14 June 2012, 19:21:00 »
A lot of the larger dealers around here do a fair amount of volume.  They tend to be less compelled to wheel and deal, in my experience.  You are better off finding a smaller dealer elsewhere.  Sometimes they can even do a transfer of a car to their dealer, just to get your business.  I know people who have done this.  Also, the taxes in Cook and Lake county are high.

You can't find what you are looking for around you?
Russ

Offline feng

• * Vendor
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 15 June 2012, 23:59:49 »
Quote from: fohat.digs;612593
For the last couple of cars I bought, I hired a broker. He was a guy who had worked at numerous dealers, and knew the ropes. We paid him $350 the first time and $500 the second, and he did our shopping and dealing for us.

I don't know whether he truly helped, but we did get good cars at good prices. I trusted the guy and found him through the grapevine.

We live in Atlanta, so I have no idea about your area, but if you found somebody you trusted, it might be worth considering.

I don't know where I could possibly find a guy like that. Maybe for a pretty expensive car, that would save some money. But for my budget, I don't think I would get a "much" lower price through a agent.

Quote from: sainrub;612950
That sucks buddy, I haven't been car shopping in so long but I do remember the Auto Barn was the place to buy Volkswagons. How did you lose that TypeNow Solid though?

Well, Auto Barn was the first dealer that I was talking about. For loosing that TypeNow Solid, I meant I spent $64+$84 for the Amtrak round trip, about $200 for the taxi (I really should have rented a car T_T), and some other spends like foods.

Quote from: DanGWanG;613656
Oh Chicago...what can I say about Chicago.  We're cheap.

But in all seriousness, I've had excellent findings here and I think at the end of the day, it's all about the car and dealership you're buying from.  Some dealers will be fine in giving you money off, and some just really won't budge.  I feel bad that you came all the way from St. Louis to find a bad deal, but if prices were already lower than you expected, nothing more you can do if they won't budge on the price.

Yeah I guess that's the reason why they won't budge. The 2012 Tiguan sold for $21,000 is not that bad. Obviously the price is still like $1000-$2000 lower than the ones in St. Louis.

Quote from: rknize;613730
A lot of the larger dealers around here do a fair amount of volume.  They tend to be less compelled to wheel and deal, in my experience.  You are better off finding a smaller dealer elsewhere.  Sometimes they can even do a transfer of a car to their dealer, just to get your business.  I know people who have done this.  Also, the taxes in Cook and Lake county are high.

You can't find what you are looking for around you?

That's exactly what I was wondering. Maybe a smaller dealer will be easier to haggle. Not a large dealer.

I did find one 2011 Tiguan with only 25K miles for $19,000 in St. Louis like 2 weeks ago. But when I got enough money to buy it, it was goooooooooooooone and I was shooooooooooooocked. So I had to go to Chicago to get one like that for a nice price.

Anyway, appreciate for your commonts guys. I've eventually got a car from a dealer in St. Louis. I guess it's a fair price. I got this one for $18,600. This Santa Fe is better than I thought, and larger than Tiguan. So I won't regret for not getting a Tiguan. :) I'll bring this with me going to Yellow Stone on July. The size of Tiguan's trunk is the only thing that I don't really like, not quite enough for a long trip to Yellow Stone. :/

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&csDlId=&csDgId=&listingId=87774322&listingRecNum=0&criteria=prMx%3D19000%26sf1Dir%3DDESC%26prMn%3D0%26mkId%3D20064%26stkTyp%3DU%26mdId%3D21899%26rd%3D50%26crSrtFlds%3DstkTypId-feedSegId-mkId-mdId-pseudoPrice-yrId%26zc%3D63108%26rn%3D0%26PMmt%3D1-1-0%26stkTypId%3D28881%26sf2Dir%3DASC%26sf1Nm%3Dprice%26yrId%3D34923%26sf2Nm%3Dmiles%26isDealerGrouping%3Dfalse%26rpp%3D50%26feedSegId%3D28705&aff=national&listType=1
« Last Edit: Sat, 16 June 2012, 00:06:12 by feng »