Author Topic: Ubuntu 9.10 Released  (Read 22557 times)

Offline InSanCen

Ubuntu 9.10 Released
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 25 November 2009, 17:28:08 »
Quote from: bigpook;136269
You may have something hosed up with network manager. I was running 9.04 on my laptop and network manager would go wonky from time to time.  I had to use the command line to change my interface settings when it was like that.

I have since fresh installed 9.10 on the laptop and it has been working fine since.

Linux for the most part is very reliable and very stable. But its not perfect, sometimes things do break.

I fully appreciate that, using Gentoo, Custom Compilation is godamn fast at the end of the tunnel, but has it's pitfalls.

I can live with it though. I removed it and put it back through Synaptic, but still the same. I suspect something else is interfering with it, as this seems to be an isolated problem. I can strill do a manual search with Network manager, and connect to an AP by typing my password, but I just cannot get it o do this automatically (Internet AP as a default, Storage AP as and when). Even tried seperate Wifi Connections (Atheros and RAlink) to get it going, but ran smack into a host of network issues.

Still, The missus know what to do, and that's the important thing in weaning them off Windows.
Currently Using :- IBM M13 1996, Black :
Currently Own :- 1391406 1989 & 1990 : AT Model F 1985 : Boscom 122 (Black) : G80-3000 : G80-1800 (x2) : Wang 724 : G81-8000LPBGB (Card Reader, MY) : Unitek : AT102W : TVS Gold :
Project\'s :- Wang 724 Pink-->White Clicky : USB Model M : IBM LPFK :
Pointing stuff :- Logitech MX-518 : I-One Lynx R-15 Trackball : M13 Nipple : Microsoft Basic Optical\'s
:

Offline bigpook

Ubuntu 9.10 Released
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 25 November 2009, 17:43:06 »
just for fun, check the properties of the connection. there is an option for 'connect automatically'. is that flagged?

the issue I had had something to do with permissions. I think your problem may be different.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline InSanCen

Ubuntu 9.10 Released
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 25 November 2009, 18:13:35 »
Quote from: bigpook;136309
just for fun, check the properties of the connection. there is an option for 'connect automatically'. is that flagged?

the issue I had had something to do with permissions. I think your problem may be different.

It is indeed flagged. If I only ever connect to one AP, it works fine automatically. If however, I connect to the storage AP, it's manual from there on in. This works in reverse too.

Still, considering this is a "free" OS, I can't complain too much. It certainly kicks Windows7 into touch.
Currently Own :- 1391406 1989 & 1990 : AT Model F 1985 : Boscom 122 (Black) : G80-3000 : G80-1800 (x2) : Wang 724 : G81-8000LPBGB (Card Reader, MY) : Unitek : AT102W : TVS Gold :
Pointing stuff :- Logitech MX-518 : I-One Lynx R-15 Trackball : M13 Nipple : Microsoft Basic Optical\'s
:

Offline bigpook

Ubuntu 9.10 Released
« Reply #53 on: Wed, 25 November 2009, 18:22:29 »
I don't have 2 AP to test with so I can't help. If it connects automatically to the first AP then that would be desirable behaviour. I could be wrong, but when you want to connect to the second AP you would have to disconnect from the first then manually connect to the second.
Don't know for sure though. I don't think you can connect to more than one AP at any given time, unless if maybe, they are on different subnets.

Offline InSanCen

Ubuntu 9.10 Released
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 26 November 2009, 17:46:23 »
Quote from: bigpook;136324
I don't have 2 AP to test with so I can't help. If it connects automatically to the first AP then that would be desirable behaviour. I could be wrong, but when you want to connect to the second AP you would have to disconnect from the first then manually connect to the second.
Don't know for sure though. I don't think you can connect to more than one AP at any given time, unless if maybe, they are on different subnets.

As I do.

And it will connect to the second AP just fine after I disconnect from the first... the first time. After that, connecting to either AP is purely a manual affair, having to select the AP and then type in the encryption key every time (And this is the ballache, my AP's key is 63 characters, mostly ALT codes, and the storage AP is 63 chars, random gibberish - I have a few S-Kiddies near me with a Backtrack3 disk who would love to get in there, just to piss me off).

You can connect to Multiple AP's without a problem on different WLAN cards, but pulling anything over the network from different sources? Can't say I've had wild success with that.
:

Offline bigpook

Ubuntu 9.10 Released
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 26 November 2009, 18:13:25 »
having to re-enter the key is bogus. there is something wrong with your setup but I can't advise as to how to fix. network-manager is kind of new, I think they introduced it in 9.04. I haven't fully grokked how they are working it.
Kind of like what they did with grub2. and know for something completely different...where did menu.lst go?....

right on the multiple AP's with multiple WLAN cards. traffic should route properly. not exactly the same as your setup but I do connect to wireless and hard networks that are on different subnets at work. I haven't had a problem so far, knock wood.

Offline itlnstln

Ubuntu 9.10 Released
« Reply #56 on: Mon, 30 November 2009, 10:05:12 »

Offline bigpook

Ubuntu 9.10 Released
« Reply #57 on: Mon, 30 November 2009, 10:09:41 »
some people seemed to get all upset over that. don't know why though, it still is just an apt-get away.

Offline itlnstln

Ubuntu 9.10 Released
« Reply #58 on: Mon, 30 November 2009, 10:15:00 »
I would imagine that some (many?) of the Linux die-hards are getting butt-hurt over Ubuntu going all Windows-like trying to be mainstream.  IMO, if Linux, and specifically, any particular distribution, wants to go mainstream, they are going to have to make these types of sacrifices/usability "improvements" in order to pull users from other OSs, especially if said users are entrenched in their current OS.  Like you said, the packages are easy to get for more power-type users.  That, and there are other distros out there.

Offline bigpook

Ubuntu 9.10 Released
« Reply #59 on: Mon, 30 November 2009, 10:22:18 »
I guess, its not like gimp is for the casual user anyways. I don't really see why anyone would care either way. I don't see how not having the gimp in the default install would matter though. I don't see a whole lot of windows users going to linux anyways. Linux has more issues for new users then the inclusion or lack of the gimp.
I don't think linux is for the casual user anyway. People try to make it out to be but really its not.

Offline mp29k

Ubuntu 9.10 Released
« Reply #60 on: Mon, 30 November 2009, 10:42:28 »
Good decision I think, although it is a shame since GIMP itself is moving towards more useability with single window interface... I am personally pretty stoked for Gimp 2.8.  I think I am ready to switch my main XP box over to Ubuntu when it is released.

Personally would love to use Xubuntu, but it was flaky with network support for me.  I prefer the feel of XFCE over gnome (never tried KDE).  I just installed Xubuntuy 9.10 on my mother in laws laptop over the weekend.  (Still had to maintain a dual boot with XP Home though so she can use Turbo Tax).
"You thought keyboards were expensive. Try putting some rubber domes in your GF." -itlnstln

Offline itlnstln

Ubuntu 9.10 Released
« Reply #61 on: Mon, 30 November 2009, 10:49:02 »
Ugh, Turbo Tax.  I left them when they included malware that disabled CD-R/W drives.  I use Tax Act now.

Offline mp29k

Ubuntu 9.10 Released
« Reply #62 on: Mon, 30 November 2009, 10:51:34 »
No kidding, I tried to get her to use an alternative, but she is dead set on Turbo tax.

She also insisted I install McAfee on her XP Home install, since they just auto charged her credit card for $40+ for an update.  I tried to explain that there were better, less obtrusive (and memory hogging) free apps out there, but for some reason she wanted to stick with McAfee...

I use Avira in XP, and find it to be great for an AV program...
"You thought keyboards were expensive. Try putting some rubber domes in your GF." -itlnstln

Offline itlnstln

Ubuntu 9.10 Released
« Reply #63 on: Mon, 30 November 2009, 10:59:01 »
I just started using MS Security Essentials, and I am loving it.  It has a very small footprint, it's unobtrusive, and best of all, it's free.

Offline MFGorilla

Ubuntu 9.10 Released
« Reply #64 on: Mon, 30 November 2009, 12:24:02 »
Losing GIMP from the default Ubuntu install really isn't a big deal.  Any user that is savvy enough to use GIMP in the first place would already know how to install it from the repositories.  Actually, anybody who already uses GIMP won't really care anyway since they are already using it and upgrading Ubuntu won't uninstall the software.
"I want an Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle!"

Using Now: Unicomp Spacesaver (black/grey) | IBM Model M 1391401 White Label| IBM Model M 1394946 by Lexmark
[COMMENT]On The Way: IBM Model M Industrial[/COMMENT]
Wish list: Filco Majestouch tenless with Blue Cherries | Matias Tactile Pro 3 | IBM Model M Space Saver
In Storage: IBM M2, DELL bluetooth wireless

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
Ubuntu 9.10 Released
« Reply #65 on: Wed, 02 December 2009, 19:32:18 »
I loaded Ubuntu on one of my crummy old laptops and it's an interesting system. It takes some getting used to though.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline bigpook

Ubuntu 9.10 Released
« Reply #66 on: Wed, 02 December 2009, 19:58:53 »
Coming from a different OS I imagine it would. Nothing is where you expect it to be and the simplest things can take forever to figure out.
And we haven't even gotten to the command line yet. That is the gateway to hell for all new users.

Offline vyshane

Ubuntu 9.10 Released
« Reply #67 on: Thu, 03 December 2009, 00:42:44 »
I'm still running Ubuntu 9.04 on my work PC. However, I've switched my netbook from OS X Leopard to Linux Mint 8 (based on Ubuntu 9.10).

Screen shot:

I find grey/green to be easier on the eyes than orange/brown. Linux Mint looks nice out of the box. Underneath, it's essentially Ubuntu, and uses the Ubuntu repositories for software.

Offline Mnemonix

Ubuntu 9.10 Released
« Reply #68 on: Thu, 03 December 2009, 03:05:55 »
Quote from: vyshane;138248
I find grey/green to be easier on the eyes than orange/brown. Linux Mint looks nice out of the box. Underneath, it's essentially Ubuntu, and uses the Ubuntu repositories for software.

Does this mean that Mint is Ubuntu, only with a different default theme? That would be wasteful.
The theme is really nice, though.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Ubuntu 9.10 Released
« Reply #69 on: Thu, 03 December 2009, 03:46:19 »
It also bundles stuff like non-free codecs and DVD players and othersuch stuff.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
Re: Ubuntu 9.10 Released
« Reply #70 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 18:19:43 »
ANY UBUNTU USERS ON HERE?
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Ubuntu 9.10 Released
« Reply #71 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 19:50:25 »
ANY UBUNTU USERS ON HERE?

I still have a server or two running an older version of Ubuntu, but most of them have been migrated to CentOS now.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ