Author Topic: Truly Ergenomic  (Read 56793 times)

Offline cbf123

Truly Ergenomic
« Reply #250 on: Tue, 28 December 2010, 22:59:08 »
The FAQ currently says that orders made before Nov 30th will be shipped late January.

I've pre-ordered and have actually gone back-and-forth with them via email a couple times (I wanted a 109-key board for flexibility, but with the center Del key from the US layout---I offered to pay for the extra Del key separately but they offered to just swap it for me.) .  If it really is a scam they're going to a lot of effort to make it look real--and given the number of people ordering via credit card and the fact that the authorities wouldn't have too much trouble tracking them down since they're based in Vancouver I think they might be legit.

My theory is that they're a tiny operation, on a shoestring budget, and they wanted to get a certain number of pre-orders before they ordered the boards to be manufactured.  That way they make sure they don't lose their shirts.

Yes, the claims on the website are hokey and the reviews are bogus.  They did take down the "green" claims after I sent them an email suggesting that it was a bit of a stretch.

I guess we'll see in February.  I'm curious how many people here have pre-orders.
Daily drivers are:
Microsoft Natural (the original, and still going strong)
Microsoft Natural Elite

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Truly Ergenomic
« Reply #251 on: Tue, 28 December 2010, 23:04:58 »
Quote from: cbf123;270132
I'm curious how many people here have pre-orders.

And you haven't set up a poll yet to find out?  ;)

Offline Lanx

Truly Ergenomic
« Reply #252 on: Wed, 29 December 2010, 00:40:20 »
oh no i better start a movin on my mod!

Offline sixty

• http://deskthority.net
Truly Ergenomic
« Reply #253 on: Wed, 29 December 2010, 01:02:10 »

any minute now guys.

Offline ynih

Truly Ergenomic
« Reply #254 on: Wed, 29 December 2010, 02:12:07 »
One, more unlikelier than the next... hehe
Keyboards: (2) FKBN87MC/EB | (2) FKBN87M/EB | (1) FKBN87ML/EB | (1) FKBN87Z/EB | (1) FKBN104M/AI | (1) FKBN104MC/AI | (1) FKB104M/EB | (1) RK-9000 | (1) RF 86U SE05C0 all 45g modded | (1) HHKB 2 Pro PD-KB400W

Offline BartVB

Truly Ergenomic
« Reply #255 on: Tue, 12 July 2011, 03:28:33 »
According to: http://www.trulyergonomic.com/blog.html the firmware of the keyboard can be reprogrammed:

DIP or double DIP; the technical side of the Truly Ergonomic Keyboard

This information is for those who want to find out more about the technical and electronic side of the Truly Ergonomic Keyboard.

The Truly Ergonomic Keyboard is reprogrammable. Additionally, it has DIP switches to simplify changing the most common settings without the need to install any software. They will allow, amongst others, for changing key functionality between those required for different Operating Systems or able to reprogram the spacebars differently; possible, with the simple flip of a switch.

The Truly Ergonomic Keyboard PCB is designed using the MEGAWIN MG84FL54BD MCU. You can find more information about this MCU at the manufacturer's website; within, you will find links to its Technical Datasheet, and a Development Kit.

One of the DIP switches of the Truly Ergonomic Keyboard will be set as the Device Firmware Upgrade/Update (DFU); equivalent to the DFU-button in the MG84FL54B Development Kit:
DIP switch ON = firmware protected, does not allow to reprogram the firmware.
DIP switch OFF = allows firmware to be reprogrammed.

We will also have the MCU Hardware Lock disabled - not locked, which means that the firmware code is unlocked in hardware. And although we are not able to make any source code public, as it is the Intellectual Property of the corporation manufacturing our line of products, the above-mentioned Development Kit includes source code created by the MCU manufacturer for computer keyboards.

If the above information sounds too technical, we reiterate you only need additional software if you require reprogramming the keyboard’s behaviour. We ensure you can simply plug-in your Truly Ergonomic Keyboard without requiring to install any additional software to fully use and enjoy your Truly Ergonomic Keyboard.

With a link to: http://www.megawin.com.tw/megawin_EN/ProductShow.asp?ID=175

The SDK for that microcontroller indeed includes example C code to create firmware for a keyboard. Nice. Not very userfriendly but a very hacker friendly solution :) But if you can make the keyboard send two different scancodes for the spacebars there is no need to reprogram the firmware just to remap some keys, there are a zillion userfriendly tools for that already.

But really cool that you can hack it this much. Now if only they would start sending out their products :)

Offline sordna

Truly Ergenomic
« Reply #256 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 15:21:29 »
Hmm, maybe it will help if TrulyErgonomic look into 3d printing :-)

[video=youtube;ZboxMsSz5Aw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZboxMsSz5Aw[/video] [video=youtube;1yt8ZZGFkFc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yt8ZZGFkFc[/video]
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 July 2011, 15:23:40 by sordna »
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline bse8128

Truly Ergenomic
« Reply #257 on: Sun, 17 July 2011, 18:06:25 »
The last months, after I read about RepRap and Makerbot, I've been thinking about building my own ergonomic keyboard. I'm pretty sure I could build a USB keyboard controller, but unfortunately my CAD skills are nonexistent. Maybe we could do an open-source project? With open source instructions, CAD models, USB controller firmware and so on, using shops like Shapeways, everyone could build their own with relative ease. Oh and hi btw, first post :)
EDIT: typo
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 July 2011, 18:10:17 by bse8128 »

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
Truly Ergenomic
« Reply #258 on: Sun, 17 July 2011, 20:52:55 »
The first draft case bottom of an 87-key board came to $100 on shapeways in their WSF and could not be produced due to size in black or alumide (for the stiffness).  Came to $137 at ponoko.

While a sufficiently different design may prove to have a market at whatever price point you can reach, being too different limits your market.  That's a hard reality to work with.

So while I'm still moving forward with my particular design, I'm am trying to make it so that the PCB and controller is desirable enough that people would purchase a retail keyboard and gut it :)  Still cheaper than shapeways and you get to pick black/white.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline bse8128

Truly Ergenomic
« Reply #259 on: Mon, 18 July 2011, 12:08:01 »
I wasn't really thinking about having a market. I just thought it would be cool to have an open source blueprint for people to use, modify and build whatever kind of keyboard they want. But if printing cases is really that expensive, maybe I'm a few years early with that project.

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Truly Ergenomic
« Reply #260 on: Mon, 18 July 2011, 12:51:50 »
Whether or not you are selling anything at all or just providing information, your need for a team specifies a market.  That market being people interested in the same thing you are interested and willing to not only put in the missing work needed but also willing to buy the end result.  Why do the work if you never get the product?

There already exist several firmwares for using AVR MCUs as KB controllers both as ps/2->USB interlopers that modify the data enroute and as new or replacement controllers for a PCB.  So you can either pick one and live with the features/limitations or modify it to suit your needs and of course there's always starting from scratch.

As for producing custom PCBs, it's taken me under a month to design a complete PCB for an 87 key board.  I started with zero knowledge of circuit design, but KBs are easy since it's just a controller and a bunch of switches and diodes.  It took me a few hours to design a case bottom in SketchUp that would physically accept the board with attachment points.  The best PCB quotes I've gotten are $120 delivered for 1 from one manuf, and $330 delivered for 25 from another.  Another reason to get other people interested in your stuff... group buys save you money too!

Now onto casings... I've already had some experience with SketchUp since I am also designing my own PC case so it was quick and easy to transfer measurements out of Kicad from the PCB to SketchUp for the case.  The really hard part is engineering a leg/tilt mechanism within the confines of available materials and space.  Once I found out it would cost more for a case bottom than it would for a complete retail KB of the same size I stopped.  You'll see that I'm not the only one since there's a 104key PCB project that fits a Filco case (see the Mods forum).
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline sordna

Truly Ergenomic
« Reply #261 on: Wed, 20 July 2011, 10:30:36 »
They pushed out the delivery date on their website again, yawn:

We are pleased to announce that we have finalized the required tooling (the moulds) to be used to fabricate all parts of the Truly Ergonomic Keyboard and will be testing samples in a matter of days, making sure they all follow our design specifications. We will go ahead and manufacture the Truly Ergonomic Keyboard afterwards.

Pre-order delivery will follow as our primary goal is to bring our line of products to market as soon as possible. We are currently estimating delivery during August 2011.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline HaveANiceDay

Truly Ergenomic
« Reply #262 on: Fri, 22 July 2011, 21:29:14 »
Quote from: alaricljs;382676
Once I found out it would cost more for a case bottom than it would for a complete retail KB of the same size I stopped.  You'll see that I'm not the only one since there's a 104key PCB project that fits a Filco case (see the Mods forum).
Story of my life :)
I will also be using just the case and the switches from my Filco tenkeyless for the Phantom mod and throw away the rest.
Filco Tenkeyless Brown with beige cherry doubleshots (home)
Realforce 86U (work)
Get you own Phantom NAO!

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Truly Ergenomic
« Reply #263 on: Fri, 22 July 2011, 21:37:13 »
I have also used Prins' handy set of Kicad modules to setup a board.  I'm not about to steal your thunder but hope to offer my twist on things pretty soon.  Completely different goals, so everyone buy the Phantom so you can get some practice for buying mine!   (Now I have to come up with a cool name... damn you!  ;)
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline bpiphany

• bpiph is a special type of crazy. //mkawa
Truly Ergenomic
« Reply #264 on: Sat, 23 July 2011, 08:37:27 »
No, everyone buy my symmetric stagger board, I was first dammit =)

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Truly Ergenomic
« Reply #265 on: Sat, 23 July 2011, 11:04:00 »
Well, not everyone wants a 104key board, Prins   :)
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline bpiphany

• bpiph is a special type of crazy. //mkawa
Truly Ergenomic
« Reply #266 on: Sat, 23 July 2011, 11:41:20 »
104? You can get at least 116 keys onto it if you like =P Actually almost no-one seems to want a full size board. I think I scared my few potential customers away too, or they are just very busy at the moment.

Offline sordna

Truly Ergenomic
« Reply #267 on: Sat, 23 July 2011, 15:03:13 »
Quote from: PrinsValium;385916
104? You can get at least 116 keys onto it if you like =P Actually almost no-one seems to want a full size board. I think I scared my few potential customers away too, or they are just very busy at the moment.

You know, what would be really interesting is a split (2 freely movable halves) keyboard in symmetric stagger or matrix layout. Basically, a Kinesis, split in half, but instead of "bowls" for the keys, have a flat PCB on each side, in the same matrix layout.... and 2 or 4 extra keys added...

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
Truly Ergenomic
« Reply #268 on: Sun, 24 July 2011, 00:48:25 »
Quote from: sordna;385948
You know, what would be really interesting is a split (2 freely movable halves) keyboard in symmetric stagger or matrix layout. Basically, a Kinesis, split in half, but instead of "bowls" for the keys, have a flat PCB on each side, in the same matrix layout.... and 2 or 4 extra keys added...

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 21973[/ATTACH]
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline sordna

Truly Ergenomic
« Reply #269 on: Sun, 24 July 2011, 01:16:53 »
You took care of everything (and more) except for the flat PCB's :-) I sometimes think the Kinesis/Maltron bowl arrangement is a bit too extreme, and probably throws off a lot of people.

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
Truly Ergenomic
« Reply #270 on: Sun, 24 July 2011, 01:33:12 »
You're right, it does and I don't understand that. If you're looking for something that is more comfortable/ergonomic/human shaped, you know it won't be flat, square, and static.

When I SAW the Contoured and the Datahand I was 90% sure it was either the right thing or in the right direction.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline noctua

Truly Ergenomic
« Reply #271 on: Sun, 24 July 2011, 05:10:21 »
..the ergonomical forms has some disavantage.. it has me taken several weeks to become
as fast as on my flat keyboard.. and i'm still faster on my flat noctua-board.. ;)

i often had the feeling to type against the form especially with my index fingers,
..sometimes you can profit from shorter ways (index to pinky for example) but
true is also that these have larger gaps between the keys.. and this results
in longer ways.. and this sounds no good for me in both terms ergonomic
and speed.. the gold middle way may be the dream catcher ;)

it seems, that i have to add an third entry on my signature.. (hmmm...)
Selfmade Keyboard I (done)
DT225 CH Trackball

Selfmade Keyboard II (95% completed)
L-Trac CST2545W-RC Trackball

both use Cherry MX Blue switches, an Teensy++ controller and have an Colemak layout

Offline luie

Truly Ergenomic
« Reply #272 on: Wed, 03 August 2011, 02:25:47 »
looks nice.
abs M1...........{ALPS Simplified Type I / Fukkas / Black ALPS}.....[70g +/- 25g]....(Tactile, Non-clicky)
KBC Poker.......{Cherry MX Brown}.............................................[45g +/- 20g]....(Soft Tactile, Non-clicky)