Author Topic: Joining the Kinesis club...  (Read 12188 times)

Offline CyberDave

Joining the Kinesis club...
« on: Tue, 24 January 2012, 23:36:34 »
Had a chance to try a coworker's Kinesis keyboard yesterday. Didn't take me long to decide I wanted one of my own, and I immediately bought one I saw on eBay (it's the older PS2/ADB model). Still waiting for a shipment notification/tracking number, though.

I do have a question for those of you who have one already...I hear Kinesis sells all kinds of upgrades for these things. I'm going to shoot them an email once I get the board and have the serial number, but in the meantime...do you know what sorts of upgrades are available? Specifically, would I be able to order a native USB controller for it if I wanted to (I plan to just use an adapter for starters, but native USB might be nice to have later on).

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 24 January 2012, 23:40:47 »
I have seen a post before of someone updating the Kinesis to cherry mx switches.

I've always wanted to try a Kinesis, but it seems like a big purchase to just "try out".

I wish some of my co-workers shared my affinity for input devices. Sigh...

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 24 January 2012, 23:52:53 »
Kinesis Contoured boards all come with Cherry MX switches, brown or red.

Link the eBay auction and I'll tell you what I can about that model. USB options...we'll talk about after the exact model is confirmed.

Welcome to the family!
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline Encryptor

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 24 January 2012, 23:55:49 »
Quote from: RiffRaff;498313
I have seen a post before of someone updating the Kinesis to cherry mx switches.

I've always wanted to try a Kinesis, but it seems like a big purchase to just "try out".

Me too - I'm afraid I'll get one and then realize that I've been typing incorrectly my whole life by reaching for characters with the wrong hand.

Offline CyberDave

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 00:08:38 »
Quote from: Encryptor;498329
Me too - I'm afraid I'll get one and then realize that I've been typing incorrectly my whole life by reaching for characters with the wrong hand.

I expect to find out I've been doing some things wrong all this time myself. But, talking to the guy whose board I demo'd, he told me about how he forced himself to learn Dvorak when he first got a Kinesis, and after some practice he goes back and forth between Qwerty on flat keyboards and Dvorak on his Kinesis without much issue. So, I think I might give Dvorak a try and see how that goes.

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 00:14:30 »
Quote from: input nirvana;498323

Nevermind, I must have seen someone change out the switches in a used one then. I need to find that post...
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 January 2012, 00:16:45 by RiffRaff »

Offline CyberDave

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 00:16:53 »
Quote from: input nirvana;498323

Link the eBay auction and I'll tell you what I can about that model. USB options...we'll talk about after the exact model is confirmed.

Welcome to the family!

I'm almost afraid to link it, because I think I got a good deal on one and I'm afraid you're going to tell me I didn't :)

But here it is: http://www.ebay.com/itm/170764616687

Appreciate the advice

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 00:18:31 »

Offline CyberDave

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 00:19:00 »
Hey, I just realized Kinesis is based in Bothell, WA...not too far up the road from me. Neat.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 01:01:45 »
Quote from: CyberDave;498358
I'm almost afraid to link it, because I think I got a good deal on one and I'm afraid you're going to tell me I didn't :)

But here it is: http://www.ebay.com/itm/170764616687

Appreciate the advice

It doesn't really matter how good/bad of a deal you may have gotten, it's relative. Did you get what you want? At a price that is acceptable? In the condition you expect? I promise you, someone paid less for better, and someone else paid more for less. You are guaranteed to be in the middle somewhere :)

Quote from: RiffRaff;498360
Found it http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:7486

Go to Kinesis's website, they make and sell various products, some are not made by them, so the super-awesome Contoured line is not the only "Kinesis" item. http://www.kinesis-ergo.com/
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 01:08:43 »
Model 130 PM Professional MPC.....

Ok, you don't have 'sticky keys' that started the model after this one. You do have 2 memory chips which allows the maximum amount of memory for macros. It is Mac/PC switchable. Are you Mac or PC?

I have the same unit for sale for about the same amount, actually with shipping would be about $20 more. I'll also offer it without 1 of the memory chips (since most people have no use for it) at a $30 discount. So I guess you got a better deal than buying mine. Feel good now? :)

As for the USB, you can get a Y-mouse by Pi Engineering. It holds some key programming. I have several of these, but they are very pricey. But a straight up USB adapter should be fine, no?

Anything else?

EDIT---The only Kinesis changes would be to get red switches instead of the browns it comes with, that will cost about $100. You can put O-rings on the key caps (NICE!) that's about $5-$20 depending on which ones. You can get qwerty/dvorak dual legend key caps for about $45 or so.

You can get rid of the yellow by taking the keyboard apart and putting the plastic in oxy-clean in the sun for a few hours. There is a monster thread here where a few of us did that.

You can take it to the beach and have all the girls oooh and aaaah over it :)
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 January 2012, 01:22:41 by input nirvana »

Offline CyberDave

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 02:02:56 »
Quote from: input nirvana;498406
It doesn't really matter how good/bad of a deal you may have gotten, it's relative. Did you get what you want? At a price that is acceptable? In the condition you expect? I promise you, someone paid less for better, and someone else paid more for less. You are guaranteed to be in the middle somewhere :)

I was only half-serious about that part

If anything, I was afraid I might have jumped the gun a little too quickly on that keyboard and ended up with something inferior because I hadn't done enough research about the various models of these keyboards (but I have that reaction all the time anyway).

I've certainly been on the "paid less for better" side of the equation plenty of times myself (the proceeds from some of my recent deals are going towards this keyboard). :)

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 02:11:54 »
No doubt, jumping the gun without the research can be detrimental, of course sometimes you need to follow your gut and just move on something though. Timing, especially on a relatively rare item. It's fun to be on the buy-low, sell-high side and get some rewards...I've done it, but after some real-time analysis have figured out it almost always takes more time (overall) than the dollar gains justify, not to mention risk. But that depends on the situations as well. If you have no other opportunity to earn scratch, then have at it :)

I hope you like the board, you'll need a couple weeks for acclimation. If you don't, there are usually people here looking to buy. Check my sig for some extreme project items I've been doing on a couple Kinesis units.

Offline CyberDave

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 02:14:50 »
Quote from: input nirvana;498409
Model 130 PM Professional MPC.....

Ok, you don't have 'sticky keys' that started the model after this one. You do have 2 memory chips which allows the maximum amount of memory for macros. It is Mac/PC switchable. Are you Mac or PC?

I have the same unit for sale for about the same amount, actually with shipping would be about $20 more. I'll also offer it without 1 of the memory chips (since most people have no use for it) at a $30 discount. So I guess you got a better deal than buying mine. Feel good now? :)

As for the USB, you can get a Y-mouse by Pi Engineering. It holds some key programming. I have several of these, but they are very pricey. But a straight up USB adapter should be fine, no?

Anything else?

EDIT---The only Kinesis changes would be to get red switches instead of the browns it comes with, that will cost about $100. You can put O-rings on the key caps (NICE!) that's about $5-$20 depending on which ones. You can get qwerty/dvorak dual legend key caps for about $45 or so.

You can get rid of the yellow by taking the keyboard apart and putting the plastic in oxy-clean in the sun for a few hours. There is a monster thread here where a few of us did that.

You can take it to the beach and have all the girls oooh and aaaah over it :)

Thanks very much for the detailed info.

I'm mostly a Mac guy, but I do work on PCs some of the time. No more legacy Macs at the moment...I have adapters for both PS/2 and ADB to USB, anyway, so it's not a big deal.

That Y-mouse looks neat, but also overkill, at least for now.

I think I'll be OK with the brown switches, but to be honest the only Cherry switches I've really typed on are the blues (I did press the keys on a Kinesis with browns for a few minutes, and they seemed nice, but I have no idea how they compare to the reds). Maybe one day I'll get a chance to type on some reds and decide I want them, but for now I think the browns will do. Still, it's nice to know that they offer those as replacements.

I'm familiar with the retr0bright process (I've restored a couple of Apple Extended Keyboards, and I've got a pile of double-shot Wyse keycaps to restore over the next couple weeks), so no issues there (other than general lack of sun in Seattle this time of year, but I have a UV lamp for this already).

The qwerty/dvorak keys...those are available from Kinesis, right (I won't have to scrounge eBay or the classifieds to find them)? I think those might be the only upgrade I need early on.

Now I'm even more excited for this thing to get here....I think it's going to be great as-is. I'm trying to resist the temptation to go poke the seller for a shipping status update (and give him tomorrow to get it out) :)

Offline CyberDave

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 02:27:56 »
Quote from: input nirvana;498443
No doubt, jumping the gun without the research can be detrimental, of course sometimes you need to follow your gut and just move on something though. Timing, especially on a relatively rare item. It's fun to be on the buy-low, sell-high side and get some rewards...I've done it, but after some real-time analysis have figured out it almost always takes more time (overall) than the dollar gains justify, not to mention risk. But that depends on the situations as well. If you have no other opportunity to earn scratch, then have at it :)

I hope you like the board, you'll need a couple weeks for acclimation. If you don't, there are usually people here looking to buy. Check my sig for some extreme project items I've been doing on a couple Kinesis units.

After I bought the board, I spent a few hours reading through your split mod (instead of working)...pretty impressive. I probably won't ever go that far, but I might switch out the F-keys for real switches at some point. Maybe an AIKON USB controller upgrade at some point, too, just so I don't need to mess with an adapter (unless I can convince Kensis to sell me just the latest version of the main controller PCB).

Offline Lanx

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 02:41:17 »
i did an ergo-white mod on my kinesis, i enjoy the increased tactility over browns. play around with other switches if you want, you can order single switches from mouser.com or harvest them from another cherry board, and if you think you really like cherry reds, you can always just order the red keywells from kinesis, i'm sure sordna or input-n have lots of links somewhere on how to do that. who knows maybe in the end you'll just buy a new kinesis usb cuz you like it so much.

Offline boli

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 02:47:26 »
I've always wanted to try a Kinesis

Quote from: Encryptor;498329
Me too - I'm afraid I'll get one and then realize that I've been typing incorrectly my whole life by reaching for characters with the wrong hand

Dunno if they ship to Middle Earth ;) but they do have a 60 day money back guarantee, so if you're in the US you can give it an extensive trial without too much cost (insured return shipping only). International shipping is way more expensive but I think the same rule applies.

Most likely though you'll love it and order a second one. :D
Keyboard: Kinesis Ergo Advantage (two LF editions with red Cherry switches, one regular with brown switches)
Keyboard layout: basically Colemak, with some remapping to end up with my custom Kinesis Advantage layout
Typing test profiles: typeracer.com / hi-games.net / keybr.com

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 02:52:47 »
Quote from: boli;498461
Dunno if they ship to Middle Earth.
Most likely though you'll love it and order a second one. :D

Boli....you are funny :)

Interesting thought...how many of us with a Kinesis, only have ONE Kinesis? Hmmm....nobody comes to mind at the moment....

Offline boli

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 02:56:48 »
Well you sort of need one at work and one at home at least, no? I kept my first at work and brought it home over the weekend, but once I knew I liked it I ordered a second one.
Keyboard: Kinesis Ergo Advantage (two LF editions with red Cherry switches, one regular with brown switches)
Keyboard layout: basically Colemak, with some remapping to end up with my custom Kinesis Advantage layout

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 02:58:00 »
Quote from: CyberDave;498445
I have adapters for both PS/2 and ADB to USB, anyway, so it's not a big deal.

The qwerty/dvorak keys...those are available from Kinesis, right (I won't have to scrounge eBay or the classifieds to find them)? I think those might be the only upgrade I need early on.

The ADB-USB adapters are crazy expensive I've noticed. I've never used one.

I have 2 sets of qwerty/dvorak key caps, they are white....maybe we'll talk about that later? :). Yes Kinesis sells them. I'm going to guess you are a touch-typist, and if you're not, you soon will be with the Kinesis....so maybe you don't need to invest in the dual legend key caps at all. You could get BLANKS!

Offline CyberDave

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 02:58:28 »
Quote from: input nirvana;498463
Boli....you are funny :)

Interesting thought...how many of us with a Kinesis, only have ONE Kinesis? Hmmm....nobody comes to mind at the moment....

One thing that sold me on the Kinesis was yesterday when I sent out a mass email at work asking if anyone had one I could demo for a few minutes. I got back several replies from people who were more than happy to do that. Several of them told me how they had spares (one guy even offered to loan me his spare for a week or two to try), and one more told me that if I got the keyboard and didn't like it, he might be interested in buying it as a spare himself. Plus they all told me how much the love theirs after they got used to it, how it really helped or saved their wrists, and haven't looked back. Either the Kinesis keyboards have a secret embedded mind control device, or they really are that great. :)

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 03:04:28 »
Quote from: boli;498466
Well you sort of need one at work and one at home at least, no? I kept my first at work and brought it home over the weekend, but once I knew I liked it I ordered a second one.

Ahhh, that's probably one main reason everybody has more than one. It doesn't apply to me since I don't maintain an office at this time, so I wasn't thinking that way.

Personally, when I have to be on a flat board, I hate it, do as little as possible, and do a crappy job typing. Then again, I was ALWAYS a ****ty typist until I got a Kinesis. Always. I use my Kinesis boards exclusively and I use Colemak layout, so I have a few things against me when I'm somewhere else typing.

Quote from: CyberDave;498469
Either the Kinesis keyboards have a secret embedded mind control device, or they really are that great. :)

That would explain why a pretty damn normal guy like me gets so nutszoid over these keyboards.

Hey, did you like the art I include throughout in the Split Kinesis Mod article? :)
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 January 2012, 03:33:30 by input nirvana »

Offline boli

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 03:05:54 »
Either the Kinesis keyboards have a secret embedded mind control device, or they really are that great. :)

Quote from: input nirvana;498475
That would explain why a pretty damn normal guy like me gets so nutsoid over these keyboards.

Can't resist posting Everyday Normal Guy
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 January 2012, 03:10:39 by boli »

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 03:06:53 »

That would explain why a pretty damn normal guy like me gets so nutsoid over these keyboards.

Hey, did you like the art I include throughout in the Split Kinesis Mod article? :)
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 January 2012, 03:33:09 by input nirvana »

Offline boli

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 03:11:32 »

When I opened mine up to replace the key wells I found this:

« Last Edit: Wed, 25 January 2012, 03:13:41 by boli »

Offline CyberDave

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 03:15:04 »
Quote from: input nirvana;498468
The ADB-USB adapters are crazy expensive I've noticed. I've never used one.

I have 2 sets of qwerty/dvorak key caps, they are white....maybe we'll talk about that later? :). Yes Kinesis sells them. I'm going to guess you are a touch-typist, and if you're not, you soon will be with the Kinesis....so maybe you don't need to invest in the dual legend key caps at all. You could get BLANKS!

GeekHack to the rescue! http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:14290

I modded one of those into an Apple Extended Keyboard II (with the Alps key switches) for my brother as a Christmas gift. A few days later he was posting on Facebook about how wonderful mechanical keyboards are and how he needs one for the office, and a spare at home, and he had no idea how he had managed to put up with his slim Apple keyboard for so long :)

We'll see how it goes with the Dvorak learning. I may or may not need them. I like to think of myself as a pretty good touch-typist, but last week I was using a Das Keyboard with blank caps, and struggled with hunting and pecking for entering in some passwords, and hitting the right keys in the number row...I did better after I swapped in some regular key caps. I wonder if I'll have that same type of issue with the Kinesis...I'm guessing probably not, since it's a whole different ballgame.

Offline CyberDave

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 03:16:12 »

yes, the art was lovely.

Offline bbbbqq

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 03:16:30 »
Hijacking this thread for a quick question:

Is there an easy way to re-map a few keys ? I know I can use mapkeyboard or something, but any way built into the board ? Namely, swapping space and backspace, and setting caps as ctrl

Offline CyberDave

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 03:17:26 »
Quote from: boli;498476
When I opened mine up to replace the key wells I found this:
Show Image

You know, I think if I ever open up my Kinesis, I'm going to put a sticker of Hypnotoad on the inside, as a little bonus for the next owner (if I ever upgrade) or for myself (when I open it up again two years later after forgetting that it's there).

Offline CyberDave

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 03:19:15 »
Quote from: bbbbqq;498479
Hijacking this thread for a quick question:

Is there an easy way to re-map a few keys ? I know I can use mapkeyboard or something, but any way built into the board ? Namely, swapping space and backspace, and setting caps as ctrl

Maybe http://www.kinesis-ergo.com/tech_support/remapping.htm ?

Offline boli

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 03:20:08 »
Quote from: CyberDave;498480
You know, I think if I ever open up my Kinesis, I'm going to put a sticker of Hypnotoad on the inside, as a little bonus for the next owner (if I ever upgrade) or for myself (when I open it up again two years later after forgetting that it's there).

:D

Quote from: CyberDave;498477
We'll see how it goes with the Dvorak learning.

Have you considered Colemak? Apologies if you have, I'll shut up now. Otherwise you might want to check out Colemak or Dvorak.

Quote from: bbbbqq;498479

Of course, that's one of the strengths of the Kinesis! Link incoming in a sec. Edit: Nevermind CyberDave got it. :)

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 03:23:32 »
Quote from: boli;498476

"You want some of this, biatch????"  

Harsh Boli, harsh. :)

Offline CyberDave

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 03:40:05 »
Quote from: boli;498484
Have you considered Colemak? Apologies if you have, I'll shut up now. Otherwise you might want to check out Colemak or Dvorak.

Actually, no I hadn't. I've seen it mentioned around here a lot, but I never actually looked to see what it was all about. Thanks to that link, I just did, and now I'm intrigued by the idea. I think I might have to move some keycaps around and try it out this weekend.

Offline boli

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 04:29:40 »
Quote from: input nirvana;498486
"You want some of this, biatch????"  

Harsh Boli, harsh. :)

What? It's a fun song, it just came to mind because of the wording you chose. I didn't mean to imply anything. :)

Quote from: CyberDave;498488
Actually, no I hadn't. I've seen it mentioned around here a lot, but I never actually looked to see what it was all about. Thanks to that link, I just did, and now I'm intrigued by the idea. I think I might have to move some keycaps around and try it out this weekend.

Have fun. I guess a weekend is enough to notice how much you can write with just the 10 keys on the home row, but since you probably can't learn the layout that quickly it might be easier to convert text to QWERTY and type the converted text. At this time you will not be familiar with those finger movements at all, that's what you'll get once you built up muscle memory.

Here's an example text:
Code: [Select]
Hl fhksk, h;w'd lf t;ljt? (Hi there, how's it going?)
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 January 2012, 05:39:11 by boli »

Offline Architect

• TECK Lover
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 05:39:54 »
Quote from: CyberDave;498445
Thanks very much for the detailed info.

I'm mostly a Mac guy, but I do work on PCs some of the time. No more legacy Macs at the moment...I have adapters for both PS/2 and ADB to USB, anyway, so it's not a big deal.

Keep an eye out for quirky behavior with the Kinesis and the Mac. I've used a Kinesis on PC and UNIX for decades with no problem, but they're quirky on modern macs. A lot of the problem is probably Apple, they were always Firewire and never really got USB right I think. There was a huge USB bug (that caused me endless pain) that finally got fixed in Lion. At any rate the Kinesis still seems to have little problems with the mac, requiring frequent re-plugs. Kinesis blames it on Apple, your milage may vary.
TECK 209 Blank Keys; Leopold Number Pad; X-Keys Professional; X-Keys 84.

Offline Icarium

• I AM A MONKEY!
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 05:48:24 »
Okay just unpacked mine can't type for **** so far. Find myself looking at the keys like years ago. What is really weird is that my muscle memory seems to want to type dvorak on this even though I barely know it and have not used it in over a week. How did you guys position the wrist rests?

The last two sentences are unrelated btw. ;)
I had a sig once but it's gone. It used to display an icon of a Kinesis. Just imagine that.

Offline boli

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 06:00:21 »
Quote from: Architect;498515
There was a huge USB bug (that caused me endless pain) that finally got fixed in Lion. At any rate the Kinesis still seems to have little problems with the mac, requiring frequent re-plugs.

Hmm, I don't have any problems on my Macs, but I'm using Lion. I don't remember having any problems before either.

Quote from: Icarium;498517
Find myself looking at the keys like years ago. [snip] How did you guys position the wrist rests?

Bottom left and right corner (see pic here), is there any other way?

As for loooking at the keys, attaching a pic of the layout (see this post) to your display works well in my experience.
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 January 2012, 06:03:27 by boli »

Offline Architect

• TECK Lover
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 06:05:49 »
Quote from: boli;498521
Hmm, I don't have any problems on my Macs, but I'm using Lion. I don't remember having any problems before either.

I like big systems with lots of peripherals hanging off it. One is a Mac Pro, three Cinema Displays (2x24, 1x27) with XKeys, Keyboards, graphics tablets ... if you stick with the mainstream (a laptop with Apple keyboard/mouse) they work great. Stray from the fold a 'little' ...

Offline Icarium

• I AM A MONKEY!
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 06:59:35 »
BTW what did you guys remap alt+tab for windowsswitching to? I find it entirely unusable in the standard configuration.
I had a sig once but it's gone. It used to display an icon of a Kinesis. Just imagine that.

Offline erw

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 07:11:03 »
Quote from: boli;498461
Dunno if they ship to Middle Earth ;)

:-D

Quote from: Icarium;498533
BTW what did you guys remap alt+tab for windowsswitching to? I find it entirely unusable in the standard configuration.

I didn't remap it, but I moved Alt to the left. My four modifiers from left to right are Alt, AltGr, Super, Ctrl, and then I turned my Caps Lock into a Ctrl as well.
Kinesis Advantage LF (MX Red), Kinesis Advantage (MX Brown), Ergodox (MX Red), Colemak

fossala

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 07:12:53 »
I didn't remap it either. The only thing I did was remap capslock to mod4 (windows).

Offline boli

« Reply #41 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 07:22:22 »
Quote from: Architect;498522
I like big systems with lots of peripherals hanging off it. One is a Mac Pro, three Cinema Displays (2x24, 1x27) with XKeys, Keyboards, graphics tablets ... if you stick with the mainstream (a laptop with Apple keyboard/mouse) they work great. Stray from the fold a 'little' ...

Hmm, the only input devices I use are the Kinesis and a mouse (preferably with 7+ functions) or two; then there are a 27" (landscape) and 24" (portrait) display, the other stuff is storage (3x eSATA, 1x FW800). Hopefully they'll release a Mac Pro with Thunderbolt soon so I can get rid of them...

You'll find my layout in every other post or so (see above), as you see I haven't changed the Alt/Option position (did change a lot else though). I guess your thumbs aren't used to doing so much just yet, that's part of the learning curve. I still don't really like the centermost bottom keys on the thumb clusters, the rest are fine.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #42 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 07:52:00 »
same apple bs lol, can't implement a microsoft invention (usb).

fossala

« Reply #43 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 09:25:25 »
Quote from: Lanx;498557

group of seven companies began development on USB in 1994: Compaq, DEC, IBM, Intel, Microsoft, NEC and Nortel.
Not really a microsoft invention.

Offline boli

« Reply #44 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 09:32:14 »
Quote from: Lanx;498557

That's funny, because in 1998 Apple's iMacs were some of the first computers to solely use USB for peripherals, the previously used ADB was no longer available (much to the dismay of owners of ADB devices, such as the nice clicky Apple Extended keyboard)

Before going to uni to study computer science I worked in an shop that sold Apple computers, from 1998 to 1999, which is why I remember. :)

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #45 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 10:43:27 »
IIn the last 5 years or so I hang/have hung the usual alternating 3-6 things with the USB ports on Mac and the Kinesis and never had an issue that I was aware of because of it. A few funky daisy chains too. It is an interesting thought of what that may have been.

Apple was very quick to dump their ADB for USB.

Dang Boli, I have Joe's song in my head...I particularly like his little gangsta buddy in the wife-beater, he is trying just way too hard. lol

It definitely takes a few days to get used to the Kinesis, then a couple weeks to smooth into typing love letters to your 3 girlfriends. :)

fossala

« Reply #46 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 10:44:45 »
Quote from: input nirvana;498662
It definitely takes a few days to get used to the Kinesis, then a couple weeks to smooth into typing love letters to your 3 girlfriends. :)

I got used to the board within hours. Had full speed back within 2 days.

Offline boli

« Reply #47 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 10:55:36 »
Basic typing (letter keys) is a matter of hours. For me it was the other stuff that took some time, namely the thumb clusters. And now I can't do without. ;)

@IN: :D

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #48 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 11:06:27 »
I'm not a professional typist, I'm a professional gigalo. I just type to make my appointments with the ladies :)

Offline sordna

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 12:41:43 »

If you want to try a Kinesis, sign up in my "Try & Forward" thread, click my sig for details.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline sordna

« Reply #50 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 13:32:43 »

I swapped Tab / Delete, since I use Tab a whole lot more often than Delete. So to do Alt+Tab I hit the right Alt with my right thumb, and the Tab with my left thumb.
Got the idea of Tab on the thumb from a Maltron I tried, it's a great location.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #51 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 13:34:45 »
I'm still toying with the idea of putting "E" on a thumb key, a la Maltron....

Offline hoggy

« Reply #52 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 14:37:37 »
Welcome to the kinesis club.

I've only got the one advantage board.  It's clearly my favourite board though.  Saved me from ditching my programming career for stacking shelves.  The transition might be awkward - but it's totally worth it.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline hoggy

« Reply #53 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 14:41:29 »
The best thing about a kinesis is that you can jump onto the end of threads and try to say why they are so wonderful to type on.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #54 on: Thu, 26 January 2012, 11:06:46 »
Quote from: hoggy;498880
The best thing about a kinesis is that you can jump onto the end of threads and try to say why they are so wonderful to type on.

What an opportunistic weenie.

Ditto

Post when you get a second Kinesis, you poser :)

Offline sordna

« Reply #55 on: Thu, 26 January 2012, 11:15:23 »
I have 6, my oldest one is on tour, and my newest and most expensive one was attacked with a dremel tool yesterday. Click my sig for details.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #56 on: Thu, 26 January 2012, 11:58:09 »
I'm down to 5, goal this year is 3 (split modified, unsplit modified, another for a custom controller).

I'm toying with the idea of doing a couple of the mods and selling those units to get the mods 'out there'.

Offline boli

« Reply #57 on: Thu, 26 January 2012, 14:04:54 »
Quote from: sordna;499601
my newest and most expensive one was attacked with a dremel tool yesterday. Click my sig for details.

Nice work sordna!

I'm wondering why you didn't use the key on the right for something other than the embedded num pad - since the num pad is on the right side I'd think the left hand would toggle it. Then again you could have moved or duplicated the num pad to the left side... what were your thoughts?

Offline sordna

« Reply #58 on: Thu, 26 January 2012, 14:59:17 »
To access the numpad keys I use the left k-shift, but I am not using the 2nd layer just for the numpad. I mapped all the F keys to the number row, so for F1 - F5 I hold the right k-shift and the corresponding number key on the number row. Also, since I normally map End to Escape, and I sometimes need the End function, I use the right k-shift and the End key to produce End. By the way, I use the embedded numpad for mousekeys. I just hold the left k-shift and can do clicks and move the pointer right around the home row!
I'm thinking to add a couple more keys, around the thumb clusters, so I can do shift with my thumbs.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #59 on: Thu, 26 January 2012, 15:27:01 »
Starter ideas:

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 38646[/ATTACH]

Or just below thumb clusters, or above just to the inside of each keywell.

Offline Architect

• TECK Lover
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 26 January 2012, 15:31:44 »
A couple more keys would be awesome on the Kinesis. I don't DIY much anymore or I'd try it

Offline sordna

« Reply #61 on: Thu, 26 January 2012, 15:34:26 »
Quote from: input nirvana;499892
Starter ideas:

I'm amazed that this guy did NOT add switches under the shifts, which is the most obvious and easy place to add them! I like those those extra thumb keys, hmmm, where's that dremel ?

Offline boli

« Reply #62 on: Thu, 26 January 2012, 17:11:31 »
Quote from: sordna;499849
To access the numpad keys I use the left k-shift, but I am not using the 2nd layer just for the numpad. [snip awesome stuff]

Man I hadn't thought it through when asking that question... Damn you sordna, that's very awesome! :D

It's a shame the k-shift thing can't be remapped without a foot pedal or rewiring (please don't confirm ;)), I'd even gladly give another key or two for such a thing (possibly in the Caps Lock location, which is where my `~ key is currently, which I could move to either Page Up/Down or Home/End maybe...)

Quote from: input nirvana;499892
Starter ideas:

(Attachment Link) 38646[/ATTACH]

Oh yeah I think I saw this when you posted at the colemak forum, very awesome indeed! It does look a bit more involved than sordna's mod though, not sure I'm up for it. :)
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 January 2012, 17:14:24 by boli »

Offline sordna

« Reply #63 on: Thu, 26 January 2012, 17:20:05 »
You can remap the key pad toggle function to any key. So you can make your Caps Lock toggle the keypad layer. But it won't act as a momentary shift. Once you push it it will take you to keypad mode, and you would have to push it again to get out of it. If you don't mind, you can do that, but you'll need either a footswitch for the remapping, or just use a thin wire and short the black and green leads of the RJ11 jack together to produce the "from" keypress for the keypad toggle during remapping.

Offline boli

« Reply #64 on: Thu, 26 January 2012, 17:47:05 »
Thanks for the clarification. That's too bad, I like the momentary k-shift much better.

Another question about this bit:
Quote from: sordna
The other 2 actions (FS1 == Left Shift, FS3 == Keypad Enter) are remappable like any key on the keyboard, so if you are interested in adding extra keys for whatever other function like Windows keys or whatever, you could use those instead, and remap them to your heart's content.

So the FS1 and FS3 actions could be remapped without remapping the original Left Shift and original Keypad Enter? Just wondering, the way you did it sounds more interesting ATM. :)

Offline sordna

« Reply #65 on: Thu, 26 January 2012, 18:00:14 »
Quote from: boli;500038
So the FS1 and FS3 actions could be remapped without remapping the original Left Shift and original Keypad Enter?

Correct. They are extra keys, that just happen to be mapped to Left Shift and KP_Enter upon keyboard reset. They can be remapped independently and will not affect your original Left Shift and KP_Enter.

Offline Forsaken

« Reply #66 on: Thu, 26 January 2012, 23:57:51 »
Quote from: sordna;498813
I swapped Tab / Delete, since I use Tab a whole lot more often than Delete. So to do Alt+Tab I hit the right Alt with my right thumb, and the Tab with my left thumb.
Got the idea of Tab on the thumb from a Maltron I tried, it's a great location.
I swapped delete/left-shift. I find it very convenient to shift with my thumb.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #67 on: Fri, 27 January 2012, 01:31:12 »
Quote from: Forsaken;500331
I swapped delete/left-shift. I find it very convenient to shift with my thumb.

Hmm, that's a good idea. I'm having more trouble with shift than other keys. I blame my pinkies.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #68 on: Fri, 27 January 2012, 04:16:39 »
which kinesis you have? i had to hard mod delete on both of the classics i had. (and seems to be an issue that only affects me)

Offline sordna

« Reply #69 on: Fri, 27 January 2012, 09:47:13 »
Lanx, are you sure you are doing it correctly? You would remap it like this: Pgm+F12, Left Shift, Delete, Pgm+F12
It works both on my Classic and my Advantage boards. You could use Right Shift instead of Left Shift too.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #70 on: Fri, 27 January 2012, 11:09:42 »
yea, it've been the array or whatever, i can't retry now since like it's hard modded anyway lol.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #71 on: Fri, 27 January 2012, 11:14:49 »
Keep in mind, though it has almost never been an issue, if you are dealing with a board and the serial # is in the 30k range...it's at least 10 years old, could be close 15-20 years old.

Offline CyberDave

« Reply #73 on: Fri, 27 January 2012, 17:52:04 »
Well, my board is here! It's dirtier and yellower than I expected, so I only hooked it up to make sure it works...will give it a good cleaning when I get home, and probably let it sit in some Retr0bright under a UV lamp over the weekend.

EDIT: Oooh, doubleshot keycaps, even...
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 January 2012, 18:07:23 by CyberDave »

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #74 on: Sat, 28 January 2012, 10:46:35 »
Quote from: input nirvana;500693
Keep in mind, though it has almost never been an issue, if you are dealing with a board and the serial # is in the 30k range...it's at least 10 years old, could be close 15-20 years old.

Really? I thought it was just an old manual, but the one I'm borrowing from sordna is really from 1994? (sn is 11k)

Cyberdave tell us what you think of it! I'm still pretty slow, as I'm still getting used to proper touch typing.

Offline sordna

« Reply #75 on: Sat, 28 January 2012, 11:07:24 »
dorkvader, the #110 I gave you is from the 1990-1994 era.

Offline CyberDave

« Reply #76 on: Sat, 28 January 2012, 17:30:15 »
Quote from: dorkvader;501523
Really? I thought it was just an old manual, but the one I'm borrowing from sordna is really from 1994? (sn is 11k)

Cyberdave tell us what you think of it! I'm still pretty slow, as I'm still getting used to proper touch typing.

As excited as I am to start learning on this keyboard, I don't think I'm going to be able to really get into that until next weekend. It needs a good cleaning and de-yellowing first, and I already have a bunch of other keyboards that need cleaning first (I found a stack of Wyse terminal keyboards with Cherry MX doubleshots that I plan to harvest, clean, and sell).

Also, I'm moving to a new office at work on Monday. Yesterday after I finished packing up my cube, I went over to my new space. It's mostly empty, but it looks like someone left behind a box of stuff with no name attached. In that box was another Kinesis keyboard. One of the first things I'm going to do Monday is try to track down its owner and maybe make an offer.

Offline hoggy

« Reply #77 on: Sun, 29 January 2012, 02:17:44 »
Quote from: CyberDave;501877
One of the first things I'm going to do Monday is try to track down its owner and maybe make an offer.

21st Century hunter gathering at it's finest.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 38913[/ATTACH]
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 38912[/ATTACH]

When my company moved offices, I moved all of my keyboards myself...

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #78 on: Mon, 30 January 2012, 18:08:24 »
Quote from: CyberDave;501877
One of the first things I'm going to do Monday is try to track down its owner and maybe make an offer.

And so it begins.....