Author Topic: New TECK owner; reprogramming questions  (Read 3250 times)

Offline chuisfree

New TECK owner; reprogramming questions
« on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 10:25:51 »
Hello everyone! I just got my TECK and there are a few changes I would like to make. 

I saw Yuri's layout designer is being used on the website and I have what I think might be the most basic question of all.  How do I change a key to NOT require the press of ALT? For example, I would like to change it so that pressing the "/?" key results in:  ?  instead of:  /  (and I would like to make it so you have to use ALT to get a:  /).  Basically, I want to reverse the key.  Is that even possible? 

Also, is it possible to make macros to assign to just one key, using the layout designer?  For example, I have the model 209 international version, but I have no need for the ¨' key (way upper left) and I would like to make it into a "CTRL + space key" to switch between input languages (I frequently have to switch between US, US international, and French). 

I've seen the other really long topic on here about reprogramming using codes and what not, but that looks WAY too complicated for me.

Finally, I understand there are risks when reprogramming the TECK that I could brick the thing.  My question is, is it possible to brick it just by unplugging it when I'm not messing with the programming?  My partner shares this computer and he refuses to touch the TECK, so I will often have to unplug it and switch it out for a standard french keyboard.   Do I really have to shut down the computer each time I want to let him have a turn on it so we can plug his in?  I didn't see anything on the website about this, but I don't think it's a common question.

Any insight would be appreciated. 

Offline Architect

• TECK Lover
Re: New TECK owner; reprogramming questions
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 16:46:14 »
Hello everyone! I just got my TECK and there are a few changes I would like to make. 

I saw Yuri's layout designer is being used on the website and I have what I think might be the most basic question of all.  How do I change a key to NOT require the press of ALT? For example, I would like to change it so that pressing the "/?" key results in:  ?  instead of:  /  (and I would like to make it so you have to use ALT to get a:  /).  Basically, I want to reverse the key.  Is that even possible? 

Only if it's a HID code.

http://www.usb.org/developers/devclass_docs/Hut1_12v2.pdf

Look starting at page 53. For your example you might check the keypad codes, but also realize many/most of these aren't supported in modern OS's.

Also, is it possible to make macros to assign to just one key, using the layout designer?  For example, I have the model 209 international version, but I have no need for the ¨' key (way upper left) and I would like to make it into a "CTRL + space key" to switch between input languages (I frequently have to switch between US, US international, and French). 

Nope

Finally, I understand there are risks when reprogramming the TECK that I could brick the thing.  My question is, is it possible to brick it just by unplugging it when I'm not messing with the programming?  My partner shares this computer and he refuses to touch the TECK, so I will often have to unplug it and switch it out for a standard french keyboard.   Do I really have to shut down the computer each time I want to let him have a turn on it so we can plug his in?  I didn't see anything on the website about this, but I don't think it's a common question.

Urp ... no just unplug the keyboard, it's USB fer Pete's sake  :eek:

:)
TECK 209 Blank Keys; Leopold Number Pad; X-Keys Professional; X-Keys 84.

Offline chuisfree

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 07 September 2013, 10:26:51 »
An update:
So far, I'm really enjoying the TECK.  I have yet to rearrange the keys, although that will be coming in the future.  I got mine with Cherry MX Browns.  I read a lot of the back and forth debate but settled on the browns as a nice in between compromise. 

My next step is to buy some o-rings to soften the bottoming out.  That's really killer on the fingers after awhile! I have no idea how people are doing the "touch typing" without bottoming out.  We'll see, maybe I'll get there.  I will buy them from the WASD site everyone seems to mention.

The biggest pain in the ass so far was one I was not expecting.  It's the quote mark and the question mark.  I never manage to find either of them when I need them.  I really do like the new position of the shift key though, which is also a surprise.  After typing for just 3 days or so, I went from 20wpm to 47wpm and I'm getting more confident all the time.

I'll post my next question here, but move it somewhere else if no one has an answer. 

Is it possible to buy some cool red WASD keys?  I saw some and I really like the look of it.  However, I know that the TECK keys are angled .. so I don't think I can just buy any old red keys and slap them on.  Same thing for the escape key. 

Also, before I bought the TECK, I could have sworn I found videos or images of how to remove the keys.  I'm getting a key puller to do some rearranging, but I know that the larger keys have hinges and I am afraid of damaging something.  Anyone know a good guide?

Offline Architect

• TECK Lover
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 07 September 2013, 15:28:16 »
An update:
So far, I'm really enjoying the TECK.

Nice :)

I have yet to rearrange the keys, although that will be coming in the future.  I got mine with Cherry MX Browns.  I read a lot of the back and forth debate but settled on the browns as a nice in between compromise. 

I like my TECK browns for most everything, except I do use Red's for gaming as it's easier on the hands. I also have a rare Blue from the one run they did, but I don't use it for anything. More of a curiosity piece.

My next step is to buy some o-rings to soften the bottoming out.  That's really killer on the fingers after awhile! I have no idea how people are doing the "touch typing" without bottoming out.  We'll see, maybe I'll get there.  I will buy them from the WASD site everyone seems to mention.

I tried o-rings on two of my TECK's but don't like it really. Adds some weight, makes the keys less responsive. I'm too lazy to take them off though.

The biggest pain in the ass so far was one I was not expecting.  It's the quote mark and the question mark.  I never manage to find either of them when I need them.  I really do like the new position of the shift key though, which is also a surprise.  After typing for just 3 days or so, I went from 20wpm to 47wpm and I'm getting more confident all the time.

Glad your speed is up. Some of the default remappings took me a while to get used to, but I think they made some good choices here. Before I didn't have a choice but now we can remap, but I keep them all the same, I think some thought went into the layout and I'm not arguing.

Is it possible to buy some cool red WASD keys?  I saw some and I really like the look of it.  However, I know that the TECK keys are angled .. so I don't think I can just buy any old red keys and slap them on.  Same thing for the escape key. 

Don't know, I'm sure you could replace some without too much difference from existing. I've been bugging the company to sell key sets and offer other choices, we'll see.

Also, before I bought the TECK, I could have sworn I found videos or images of how to remove the keys.  I'm getting a key puller to do some rearranging, but I know that the larger keys have hinges and I am afraid of damaging something.  Anyone know a good guide?

You can pull any cap with just a puller, no problem. They don't have the Filco style stablizers but the Cherry which makes it trivial to pull key caps.

Offline nomaded

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 07 September 2013, 19:26:59 »

I do bottom out on my TECK browns as I type, but I guess I don't really find it all that different than while typing on CherryMX blues other than the clickyness. But I think the years of typing on a Fingerworks Touchstream may have changed how I type.

Since I type Dvorak most of the time, I had to change up the layout since the beginning. It used to be via software, but I much prefer having the layout in the keyboard.

I did try using Shift in the home row for a couple days, but I couldn't get used it at all. I kept mixing up Shift and Control, since on "normal" keyboards I change the Capslock key to Control. Also, on Dvorak, the key to the right of QWERTY's semi-colon is hyphen, so in my modified Dvorak layout, the rightmost key on homerow is hyphen, not shift.

This is my current layout, if you're interested.

Looking at the TECK keycaps, I would guess that they won't match WASD keyboard's OEM profile. They might match Signature Plastic's DCS profile keycaps, but that's a total guess. Here's some info about various keycap profiles.

As for a keycap puller, I just straightened a paper clip, bent it into a narrow U-shape, then bent the ends by 90 degrees.
Dvorak
ErgoDox fullhand (MX Clears) w/Nuclear Green Data SA || Infinity ErgoDox (Zealios 78g tactile) w/SA Retro || Atreus62 (MX Clears) w/Chocolatier || TECK 209 (MX Browns) || TouchStream ST
Kensington Slimblade Trackball || Logitech Cordless Optical Trackman || Apple Magic Trackpad
Current Dvorak-based ErgoDox layout || Current Dvorak-based TECK layout

Offline chuisfree

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 03:31:34 »

Looking at the TECK keycaps, I would guess that they won't match WASD keyboard's OEM profile. They might match Signature Plastic's DCS profile keycaps, but that's a total guess. Here's some info about various keycap profiles.

As for a keycap puller, I just straightened a paper clip, bent it into a narrow U-shape, then bent the ends by 90 degrees.

I guess I'll skip the cool keys for now then.  Really, I like this little board but it's not "sexy" enough for my partner.  I was hoping if I make it look a little more stylish, he might relent and actually attempt to use the damn thing.  Plus, I think it'd look cool.

You can pull any cap with just a puller, no problem. They don't have the Filco style stablizers but the Cherry which makes it trivial to pull key caps.

So, there's no hinges or stabilizers, even for the bigger buttons (space bars, delete key, etc.)?

Also, I am getting more and more used to using the default layout.  I think I will keep almost everything.  Still thinking about moving the question mark to the quote spot, quote to the colon, colon to the question mark.  I think if I changed those around, all the character keys would be acceptable. 

Offline nomaded

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 17:48:23 »
So, there's no hinges or stabilizers, even for the bigger buttons (space bars, delete key, etc.)?

I don't know about the space bars, but I do know that the Ctrl and Shift keys don not have stabilizer bars. I haven't tried pulling the center row, but I really doubt there are any bars. I actually want to pull up the Enter key and flip it around, but I know it won't fit that way without some modification to the keycap - I wish it was sloped the other way.
Dvorak
ErgoDox fullhand (MX Clears) w/Nuclear Green Data SA || Infinity ErgoDox (Zealios 78g tactile) w/SA Retro || Atreus62 (MX Clears) w/Chocolatier || TECK 209 (MX Browns) || TouchStream ST
Kensington Slimblade Trackball || Logitech Cordless Optical Trackman || Apple Magic Trackpad
Current Dvorak-based ErgoDox layout || Current Dvorak-based TECK layout

Offline Architect

• TECK Lover
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 04:50:48 »

I don't know about the space bars, but I do know that the Ctrl and Shift keys don not have stabilizer bars. I haven't tried pulling the center row, but I really doubt there are any bars. I actually want to pull up the Enter key and flip it around, but I know it won't fit that way without some modification to the keycap - I wish it was sloped the other way.

I believe there are bars. They are integral to the two size stabilizer keys so are a little harder to see. This is the Cherry stabilizer system.

Offline chuisfree

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 09:12:24 »
Is it possible to pop the space bars then to add the orings, if there are hinges involved?  And what do you guys think about the red orings from WASDkey?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 09:13:59 »
And what do you guys think about the red orings from WASDkey?

My thoughts on o-rings can be found here.

Offline chuisfree

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 15 September 2013, 03:57:33 »
Ok, I ordered the o'rings (red) and they're on their way.  I also found that the bigger keys in the middle do have stabilizers http://www.trulyergonomic.com/store/mechanical-keyswitches--cherry-mx-brown-red-blue-black-clear--truly-ergonomic-mechanical-keyboard

I've looked around and I don't want to have to do any major work (like soldering) to my keyboard.  I don't want to break the stabilizers.  I also can't find any detailed info on how to remove the bigger keys and put them back on.  So, I'm asking here.
If I take out, for example the enter key, is it possible to put an oring in and then just replace the cap?  Is it complicated to take the key off if there is a stabilizer?  And when you pull the keycap, do you have to do it from the middle or do you need two pullers to go on each side?  I haven't found any pictures or anything to prepare me for what's underneath with instructions on how NOT to break anything.