Author Topic: Braille for gamers?  (Read 1965 times)

Offline tankfulloffoxes

Braille for gamers?
« on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 15:41:28 »
Has anyone already done or thought of doing a set of keypad that have bumps on them like the f and j keys, but with different patterns so that you can know how to orient yourself when gaming without looking at the keyboard? For example, the up, down, left, and right keys might just have arrows, but your primary weapon/spell could be a square, secondary a circle, etc.  I can just see this being useful either coming out of chat or in mmorpgs where a lot of different keys/macros might be used. 

Offline Coreda

Re: Braille for gamers?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 16:12:31 »
I'll admit, I clicked expecting blind gamers was a thing. There may be caps like this, but wouldn't it hurt your fingers after long use? By that time you would have likely memorized the positions, too.

Offline tankfulloffoxes

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 16:15:39 »
That's to say that the f and j keys hurt your fingers after a lot of typing?  I suppose if you play a game a lot, you should have the layout memorized, but I find myself getting frantic in intense moments, and if it's a game where I have to shift my left hand position even a little, I can mess up getting back to the home position from time to time.

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 16:22:34 »
Some companies sell textured or rubber WASD keycaps for this purpose.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline Coreda

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 16:40:59 »
That's to say that the f and j keys hurt your fingers after a lot of typing?

True, although in my case the bumps on the caps are at the base of the key, so I rarely feel them.

I do like the idea though, if the symbols were soft enough to just indicate the key and make key bindings easier to remember (at least for one game, there's no way someone would be re-arranging them per game  :D).

Offline tankfulloffoxes

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 17:43:34 »
Ha good point.  I guess it is more user specific.  I only play a couple games, and the keys I use in each are pretty much the same.   I've been curious about making keycaps, so I may try that on my own.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 21 November 2014, 10:05:20 »
That's to say that the f and j keys hurt your fingers after a lot of typing?
Probably not *hurt*, but it makes my fingertips feel very uncomfortable. I hate the bumps, especially nibs on the typematrix and some numpads. That's why I prefer scooped home keys (see F and J in thick Cherry keycap sets, or scooped DSA).

Offline Altis

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 29 November 2014, 00:14:05 »
Is there really a point?

I only say this because I never look at the labels on a keyboard while gaming. Once your hand is in position, it tends to stay there and everything is off memory (relative positions). I don't think it's any easier for your brain to remember that the 'use' key is "E" versus "index finger 1 above" -- either way, you're forced to learn a spot on the board for a function.

As long as your index finger falls on "F" with its bump, you should be all set, no?

I don't mean to sound ignorant, I just can't see how this would be beneficial in gaming unless you're moving your hands a lot.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)