Author Topic: Planck/Atomic KB ergonomics?  (Read 6340 times)

Offline TheSven

Planck/Atomic KB ergonomics?
« on: Thu, 25 December 2014, 16:00:12 »
As the Planck and Atomic keyboards are quite cheap, I was wondering if I could use them as a first build, as well as to get some soldering practice. However, all the keys are in a grid, rather than staggered. I was wondering if this affected the ergonomics of the keyboard a lot or should I just go with a JDCarpe or a [CTRL][ALT]60. Thanks and Merry Christmas.

Offline tufty

Re: Planck/Atomic KB ergonomics?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 26 December 2014, 02:31:20 »
Yes, a grid layout affects the ergonomics.  It's ergonomically better.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 31 December 2014, 12:23:47 »
In the true spirit of Geekhack, buy all of them of them and give us a review.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline technomancy

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 31 December 2014, 17:12:05 »
Yes, a grid layout affects the ergonomics.  It's ergonomically better.

It's better than a conventional layout, but not as good as a column staggered layout IMO.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 01 January 2015, 06:54:56 »
Actually, I don't think it's better. Obviously, symmetry and lots of thumb buttons have their appeal, but my experience with typematrix and HumbleHacker-like keyboards suggests that there isn't enough hand separation to maintain neutral wrist posture. Only two-column split Planck layout should be fine for occasional typing, although that configuration comes at the cost of overloading index fingers.

Offline Lomomn

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 01 January 2015, 07:37:30 »
The Planck would be a lot more ergonomic if it were split down the middle.
With conventional keyboards, you don't really have to keep your hands perpendicular to the keyboard, but with the Planck you have to, so you can hit all of the keys - otherwise you will get some weird finger movement which will probably hurt a lot in the long term.
I consider only the ErgoDox, Kinesis Advantage, Maltrons and other split designs more ergonomic and more beneficial to ones wrists and hands because the user doesn't have to bend their wrists in an unnatural way to operate the keyboard, like with the Planck.

However, ergonomics is about what feels comfortable and natural, so to some an ErgoDox may hurt them and the Planck may be the way forward for them.

Offline Data

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 01 January 2015, 20:56:36 »
I think it's a good compromise between price, form factor, and ergonomics. Grid layout is a step in the right direction.

Offline technomancy

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 02 January 2015, 14:36:21 »
my experience with typematrix and HumbleHacker-like keyboards suggests that there isn't enough hand separation to maintain neutral wrist posture.

Neutral wrist posture has two elements; side-to-side straightness (yaw) vs up-and-down straightness (pitch) From what I've read from professional ergonomicists, the side-to-side position matters, but a bad vertical angle is a lot more likely to cause pain in the wrists.

The Planck's small size lets you place it in your lap between your knees or upper thighs, where you can angle it down away from you, which is about the most neutral vertical position possible.

Of course, RSI is a complicated topic with many factors that can contribute to it, and I'm not a medical professional. I can only comment on what feels good for me.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 02 January 2015, 15:52:20 »
Ulnar deviation somewhat increases carpal tunnel pressure, although not as much as wrist extension or radial deviation.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 03 January 2015, 01:18:54 »
Personally I find a matrix board to be roughly similar to a row stagger board. Either way some keys are in awkward places, and others are fairly easy to hit. A square grid isn’t especially closer to the natural shape/reach of the fingers than a standard Sholes-layout keyboard. Given the choice, I’d just stick to a standard layout (instead of a square grid) because it’s ubiquitous and most people have already learned it. If you want an alternative layout, go for something with a column-based stagger, some additional hand separation, some tenting, and the two hands rotated inward.

A split keyboard (of whatever layout) that lets you add arbitrary separation and independently adjust the position and three-dimensional angle of each half is dramatically better than any single-block keyboard, in my opinion, with the possible exception of Maltron/Kinesis style sculpted shapes.
« Last Edit: Sat, 03 January 2015, 01:22:19 by jacobolus »