Author Topic: [IC] TKC CandyBar - Super affordable compact board with full size features  (Read 27184 times)

Offline BlindAssassin111

• I design keyboards and stuff.
    • Viktus
Re: [IC] TKC CandyBar - Super affordable compact board with full size features
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 07 December 2018, 12:44:39 »
Is tray mounting the only possible option to implement the plate? I would love to get this as a top mounted board. 😏

It is technically a "top-mount" board as the plate is what is held in place. We wanted a 1 piece case, so the mounts go through the PCB and screw into the plate, whereas "traditional" tray-mount screws the PCB down and lets the plate float.
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 December 2018, 13:06:33 by BlindAssassin111 »

Offline _ODIN_

« Reply #51 on: Fri, 07 December 2018, 13:14:13 »
Is tray mounting the only possible option to implement the plate? I would love to get this as a top mounted board. 😏

It is technically a "top-mount" board as the plate is what is held in place. We wanted a 1 piece case, so the mounts go through the PCB and screw into the plate, whereas "traditional" tray-mount screws the PCB down and lets the plate float.
thank you for the clarification

Offline TuCZnak

New blog looking good :thumb:

Offline zeroisnothing

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
Are there any pictures of the bottom of the aluminum case? Looks super fun, and very interested. Thank you!

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
Are there any pictures of the bottom of the aluminum case? Looks super fun, and very interested. Thank you!

It is flat and has recesses for bumpons, nothing too crazy.

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!
Looking forward to it & that mint green cases is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Ashardalon

• Ashkeebs
    • Ashkeebs Lubing Service & Shop
Longboi, me very likey. I will definitely be taking one! Do you have an idea of how much space is between the PCB and the bottom of the case? The Candybar seems hefty for a smaller board, and I'm hoping that it's a snug fit inside to allow for a more deeper acoustic.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
Longboi, me very likey. I will definitely be taking one! Do you have an idea of how much space is between the PCB and the bottom of the case? The Candybar seems hefty for a smaller board, and I'm hoping that it's a snug fit inside to allow for a more deeper acoustic.

There is 4.9mm from the PCB to bottom and about 3.1mm below the hotswap socket.

Offline Ashardalon

• Ashkeebs

There is 4.9mm from the PCB to bottom and about 3.1mm below the hotswap socket.

Okay that's not too bad at all. Might put a foam insert in there or something and see what happens, but seems pretty snug.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
Okay that's not too bad at all. Might put a foam insert in there or something and see what happens, but seems pretty snug.

Yeah I made it so the USB port was fairly close, but didn't make the inside hug the back of the PCB. It is 1.4Kg(3.08lb) as is.

Offline Ashardalon

• Ashkeebs

Yeah I made it so the USB port was fairly close, but didn't make the inside hug the back of the PCB. It is 1.4Kg(3.08lb) as is.

1.4kg? Now that's what I'm talking about! So stoked to pick one up. Thanks for the hard work these last 6 months!

Offline Bahm78

• https://blog.naver.com/hjg7808
Very loooooooooooong design !

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Interested in the version with the numpad at the left. Also, please consider a low cost case, the sandwich version with PCB layers looks too cheap.

Edit: I just see your premium version published at other site. Hoping for a case with better pricing that fills the gap between cheap and premium version.

One final note: The split version may have the 2.25u at the left for better ergonomics.
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 April 2019, 08:43:49 by ideus »

Offline Ashardalon

• Ashkeebs
Interested in the version with the numpad at the left. Also, please consider a low cost case, the sandwich version with PCB layers looks too cheap.

Edit: I just see your premium version published at other site. Hoping for a case with better pricing that fills the gap between cheap and premium version.

One final note: The split version may have the 2.25u at the left for better ergonomics.

Pretty much the only way they could make it any cheaper and put it in a case is to have a plastic one, and there's more that could go wrong with that, and would extend the production time, as the GB for this is set to launch quite soon. The price for the premium kit is a lot cheaper than other options out there, but if they're willing to share the 3D printing files perhaps you could print a case for the sandwich kit?

You could also look at Qlavier's mechchete, which is designed around the Candybar PCB; he might be able to help you find the sweet spot you're looking for with a fairly decent selection of acrylic colours. I have a commissioned board arriving from him soon, but he's fantastic with updates and will make sure you're satisfied.

Offline GigaFlop

Not a fan of most 40s, but I like the look of this one. I'll keep an eye out for when it drops, and see how much it is.
Oh god why did my wallet get so thin

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.

Pretty much the only way they could make it any cheaper and put it in a case is to have a plastic one, and there's more that could go wrong with that, and would extend the production time, as the GB for this is set to launch quite soon. The price for the premium kit is a lot cheaper than other options out there, but if they're willing to share the 3D printing files perhaps you could print a case for the sandwich kit?

You could also look at Qlavier's mechchete, which is designed around the Candybar PCB; he might be able to help you find the sweet spot you're looking for with a fairly decent selection of acrylic colours. I have a commissioned board arriving from him soon, but he's fantastic with updates and will make sure you're satisfied.

Thank you for the tip. As far as I can tell the design if final by now, so yeah, the options are pretty much defined.

Offline 2ndRoad805

Vertical 2u Enter on numpad and I'm on board!

Offline _GMK_

• not affiliated with GMK
This is nice and all, but it makes no sense for me because, as a vim user, I need numbers all the time. Plus I use ISO...

What's the point of shaving away 1row of keys... then you choose to have a big frame on the case, and you immediately have a bigger keyboard.

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!
This is nice and all, but it makes no sense for me because, as a vim user, I need numbers all the time. Plus I use ISO...

What's the point of shaving away 1row of keys... then you choose to have a big frame on the case, and you immediately have a bigger keyboard.
It's a 40% with the bonus of a number pad which is great. I hear you with could've, would've, & should've; however, the number pad is standard w/ this board. Iso...let's not be negative. We hear you, just no need for that, if you don't want it & have nothing nice to say, it's better to not comment.

Offline _GMK_

• not affiliated with GMK
Yeah, then make a comment about a comment about a comment

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar

Iso...let's not be negative. We hear you, just no need for that, if you don't want it & have nothing nice to say, it's better to not comment.
yeah.. I'm normally a massive advocate for ISO support, but to me ISO support on a 40% doesn't make much sense.

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!

Iso...let's not be negative. We hear you, just no need for that, if you don't want it & have nothing nice to say, it's better to not comment.
yeah.. I'm normally a massive advocate for ISO support, but to me ISO support on a 40% doesn't make much sense.
Thanks for being positive.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.

Show Image
Show Image

What sense do have using a board with less keys than those required that you need fn layers? For the record, I am a fifty percent user. But, I should recognize that using a sixty is easier and a TKL is even more comfortable.

Offline TuCZnak

Show Image
Show Image

What sense do have using a board with less keys than those required that you need fn layers? For the record, I am a fifty percent user. But, I should recognize that using a sixty is easier and a TKL is even more comfortable.

There's not enough space for split left shift though, it's only 1.75U.

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar

Show Image
Show Image

Haven't a clue  ;)

Offline Ashardalon

• Ashkeebs

This will work better for me at work because I have limited vertical desk space, but not horizontal, so for all of the data entry and numbers I have to put in, it will work perfectly. Thankfully if this kit doesn't work for you there's plenty of others out there to choose!

Offline Hotsauce

Will there be an option without hotswap sockets?

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
Will there be an option without hotswap sockets?

At the moment no, I did design two without but we decided to not run them right now because it would create too many options and MOQ would have to be much higher to get the pricing we wanted.

Offline Hotsauce

Are all of the layouts listed on the blog post?

Offline 2QT2BSTR8

https://thekey.company/blogs/blog-updates/ic-candybar-official-update

This is the link to the updated blog post (March 26th, 2019)

Offline Beatnutz

I bought in! Really looking forward to this little beast. Loved it from the first sight. I have zero need for a numpad but it just looks too good to be without.

Any chance of keeping us updated in this thread (or start a GB thread) instead of on the blog?

Cheers!

Offline vicissitude

Nice design.
Perfect for the right-handed and left-handed.

Offline aparezco

Could this be an option?
1. Bluetooth support for extra money.
2. Make the right shift bigger and add the "?" to the left of the right shift.
3. Move the up arrow to the right of the right shift.

The above would make this board the board of my dreams, I'd definitely pay extra to have the above features.

Offline walie

Could this be an option?
1. Bluetooth support for extra money.
2. Make the right shift bigger and add the "?" to the left of the right shift.
3. Move the up arrow to the right of the right shift.

The above would make this board the board of my dreams, I'd definitely pay extra to have the above features.

You missed the train on this one bud, the group buy is already over.

Offline ninjinphu

• Music to Clack to
« Reply #85 on: Tue, 03 September 2019, 13:26:36 »
How are we looking for expected ship date? Still on track for Sep 9?

Offline Mr.Elli0t

« Reply #86 on: Sun, 08 September 2019, 19:17:53 »

New expected ship date is now Sep. 25 :(

Offline walie

« Reply #87 on: Sun, 08 September 2019, 22:15:15 »

You mean Oct. 25

Offline Mr.Elli0t

« Reply #88 on: Sun, 08 September 2019, 22:24:16 »

You mean Oct. 25
Sorry, September 25 for the standard, and October 25 for the premium.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Offline atxk

« Reply #89 on: Sat, 26 October 2019, 03:40:24 »
Don't know if this is the right place to ask, but how do I flash a new QMK keymap to this?

Offline ninjinphu

• Music to Clack to
« Reply #90 on: Tue, 26 November 2019, 14:35:56 »
ok so now we're past the Nov 15 ship date. Are things shipping or are there additional delays?

Offline JPVann

« Reply #91 on: Tue, 26 November 2019, 23:32:52 »
Also interested in update.

Offline cosmo10292

« Reply #92 on: Thu, 09 January 2020, 14:41:16 »
Will there be another GB run? Id love to get one :(

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!
« Reply #93 on: Thu, 09 January 2020, 17:17:07 »