Author Topic: [IC] GMK 95NEON - based on the AirMax 95  (Read 55695 times)

Offline Cubic // esc lab

• Formerly 'esclab'
    • esc lab
[IC] GMK 95NEON - based on the AirMax 95
« Reply #100 on: Thu, 08 April 2021, 16:01:22 »
To be very honest, I was very very surprised this even got to the GB phase.

In the get-go, it used infringing assets from Nike. The 95 & Air are all hard trademarked assets (https://www.gerbenlaw.com/trademarks/footwear/nike/#75975988), this isn't a matter of "gray area" from an East Asian animation studio. Nike can lift an eyebrow and the vendors, designers, and manufacturer (GMK/Rama/etc) all will get cease and desists.

More surprisingly is GMK accepting it considering their most recent stance, *especially* it being Nike.

Super unfortunate that this is happening, but honestly can't say I am in any way surprised.

I know it's cancelled already. Here's just a technical question about copyright/trademarks:

Is it possible for anyone to sell some product named "95 & Air"? Or just "95" or "Air"?
Is it only prohibited in the US? (or all other lands that the US has a good grip on their government)
I am not a lawyer so I cannot in any capacity say I am qualified to give you that answer.

The only worthwhile thing I can say whenever someone has any ounce of concern for IP or trademark is - "talk to an IP lawyer".

Offline DukeEsquire

Re: [IC] GMK 95NEON - based on the AirMax 95
« Reply #101 on: Thu, 08 April 2021, 16:55:46 »
Important point of consideration is that GMK requires vendors to indemnify them (i.e.: cover GMK's legal costs) in the event a 3rd party makes a IP claim against GMK.

In other words, even if Nike takes GMK to court and loses, Cannon and the other vendors still need to foot GMK's legal fees.

That's why if a kit even sniffs of IP infringement, no vendor in their right mind would touch the kit with a 10 foot pole.

So, talking back and forth about whether or not something is IP infringement is a red herring. The real talking point is you don't want to go around shining a spotlight on yourself for something that even has a hint of IP infringement because if GMK gets taken to court, then the vendors are completely screwed as they can't afford it.

Offline 2ero9ram

« Reply #102 on: Sat, 17 April 2021, 01:40:08 »
我喜欢配色方案,但我不太喜欢新潮.支持你,希望能早日打开GB:拇指:

Offline TrevorHarkness

« Reply #103 on: Wed, 25 October 2023, 05:30:15 »
I appreciate the attention to detail and the effort to make it stand out from other sets using neon yellow. The collaboration with RAMA for the keycap looks impressive, and the desk mats add a nice touch. It's great to see you've considered the global community by partnering with vendors from various regions. Overall, it's an exciting project, and I'm looking forward to joining your Discord to stay updated on this set and your upcoming work.

Offline JasonFrazier

« Reply #104 on: Wed, 25 October 2023, 06:00:17 »
Sorry for bumping the thread, but I wanted to jump in and say that this GMK 95NEON set looks fantastic! I love the inspiration behind it, drawing from the iconic Nike Air Max 95 in the NEON colorway. It captures the essence of those iconic sneakers so well.

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #105 on: Thu, 26 October 2023, 14:51:14 »
I appreciate the attention to detail and the effort to make it stand out from other sets using neon yellow. The collaboration with RAMA for the keycap looks impressive, and the desk mats add a nice touch. It's great to see you've considered the global community by partnering with vendors from various regions. Overall, it's an exciting project, and I'm looking forward to joining your Discord to stay updated on this set and your upcoming work.

Sorry for bumping the thread, but I wanted to jump in and say that this GMK 95NEON set looks fantastic! I love the inspiration behind it, drawing from the iconic Nike Air Max 95 in the NEON colorway. It captures the essence of those iconic sneakers so well.

FYI, due to potential IP issues this concept evolved into GMK Max Neon - https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=112308.0

Offline Dmitri

« Reply #106 on: Wed, 28 February 2024, 22:58:04 »
Update?

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #107 on: Wed, 28 February 2024, 23:08:28 »
Update?

FYI, due to potential IP issues this concept evolved into GMK Max Neon - https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=112308.0