Author Topic: What's the tenting angle you consider ideal?  (Read 12091 times)

Offline Vladimir

• Professional Dream Crusher

Matias Mini Quiet Pro              Noppoo Nano 75-S Brown

Offline ygor

• eat a butt, monkey lord
Re: What's the tenting angle you consider ideal?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 10 June 2017, 11:04:47 »
Paging tp4...
I generally hate all keycaps. Keycaps are for poofs. Real men touchtype on stems. Non-functional artisans are awesome, I use them for the ESC key ... escape is for cowards anyways, real men go frontal assault.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 10 June 2017, 15:00:14 »
55 is the practical limit without adding a ton of weight to a split keyboard to keep it from falling over easily.

70 is ideal, but then to do it with enough weight, would make it cumbersome to move around the desk, which is something you would do with split keyboards, because of the different use cases which may spring up.

For example, if you got a paper document, you can put it in the middle.  or if you're gaming, and you want a little more room for the mouse.  so movement is a necessary bonus to split keyboards..

There's also the case of Multi angle tenting..    x axis is good, but the Ergodox is superior, because you can adjust all axis..

Offline Vladimir

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 10 June 2017, 15:28:13 »
Well, I didn't specify which kind of keyboard it would be, so I guess your answer, considering an isolated situation, would be 70.
I understand that your point was made having in mind the practicality of a conventional split KB (2 separate boards).
But what if the KB is something like the Microsoft Ergonomic 4000, or LZ Ergo, built with a sturdy solid metal case with a fixed angle?
Anyway, I don't limit the possibility by the options that we have so far. I think we have to understand the ideal first and then adapt to reality.
But you've made an interesting contextualization, thank you.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 10 June 2017, 18:17:22 »
There's not going to be a one size fits all, because tenting angle is also dependent on the table height..

Then there is a person who slouch,  vs  some uptight guy who always sits up straight because he thinks girls are watching..

Would ideal, also require that the keyboard comes with a stick to go up ones butt ?

Halverson would say yes..  but that's halverson. hahahahahaah

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 10 June 2017, 23:15:47 »
If I was to build it 25° would be my target angle. Anything beyond that might replace my potential social life with idealistic tendencies

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 11 June 2017, 11:54:41 »
If I was to build it 25° would be my target angle. Anything beyond that might replace my potential social life with idealistic tendencies

Tenting is like high heels.. only it's actually functional, ergonomic, and not detrimental to your physiology

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 11 June 2017, 12:06:21 »

Tenting is like high heels.. only it's actually functional, ergonomic, and not detrimental to your physiology

High heels are fine. I would wear them but they just don't compliment my personality.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 11 June 2017, 19:11:08 »

High heels are fine. I would wear them but they just don't compliment my personality.

The only youtube video I ever regret seeing is that one where men danced in heels.  Can't be unseen..

Offline Vladimir

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 20 June 2017, 18:43:14 »
"Partial" results with 74 answers:

Thanks for everyone who answer.
I wonder if people that choose 90 was just trolling by selecting the highest number possible...
And I think I've made a mistake by placing 10 degree as an option.

Offline LuX

• 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 21 June 2017, 06:15:36 »
I wonder if people that choose 90 was just trolling by selecting the highest number possible...

Do you even tent?

http://www.medicalexhibits.com/obrasky/2011/11112_07C.jpg

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 21 June 2017, 06:19:41 »

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 21 June 2017, 11:16:41 »

So relevant. So very relevant. <3 to the creators of this show and the creators of spaceship keyboards.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 21 June 2017, 15:57:16 »
I recommend you tent keyboard halves at least 15 degrees if possible. More like 30–50 would be better. More than 50 and you start losing a lot of the advantage of gravity, for not much change in static strain on your arms/wrists.

Even a 10 degree tent is much nicer than flat though.
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 June 2017, 16:00:12 by jacobolus »

Offline MajorKoos

• 1 life please. Extra large.
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 13:34:16 »
How practical is tenting without using a keyboard tray, especially the steeper angles?
I imagine one needs to get the keyboard low enough for the home row to be in a neutral position?

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 13:55:16 »
How practical is tenting without using a keyboard tray, especially the steeper angles?
I imagine one needs to get the keyboard low enough for the home row to be in a neutral position?

I agree, unless you have an unusually low tabletop.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 16:50:58 »

No more or less practical than using any other keyboard without a keyboard tray. Assuming your keyboard doesn’t extend too far beyond the pinkies, they (and likewise the lowest point on the outside of your palms) will be about the same height whether your keyboard is tented or not – hint: don’t extend the keyboard much to the sides beyond the pinky home position; a standard keyboard has ridiculously many pinky keys stretched ridiculously far away on the right side.

The goal of most keyboard design changes is to put your wrists into a more neutral position.

Ideally you can put the keyboard at or below belly height, by either (a) standing, (b) using a tall saddle-type chair, (c) using a standard chair with a low desk, or (d) resting the keyboard on your lap.

If you must have the keyboard placed too high up relative to your torso, you’ll have to tilt the keyboard up at the far side whether it is tented or not.
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 July 2017, 16:54:05 by jacobolus »

Offline MajorKoos

• 1 life please. Extra large.
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 19:01:05 »
I've got a sit/stand desk, so I can put the tabletop right down in my lap, but I still find that I end up with my wrists above my elbows when placing my fingers on the home row.  Standing in front of the desk works better and I can potentially introduce a negative slope as well.  What foils things is how my mouse/rollermouse are now way too low to use comfortably and introduce a different set of problems. 

Offline DesktopJinx

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 08:55:19 »
For me, 30 degrees is an acceptable compromise of wrist height, keyboard stability, and comfort. But if I'm really going on a keyboarding tear sometimes I'll crank it up to 60.

To get the mouse height right, at home I have a desk with a dropped recess for the keyboard, and at work I put the mouse atop a couple of obsolete reference books with an aluminum-plate mousepad on top.
M15 for life