Author Topic: My $500 Costar Endgame vs $100 Cherry Keychron - Who wins?  (Read 2807 times)

Offline KHAANNN

My $500 Costar Endgame vs $100 Cherry Keychron - Who wins?
« on: Sat, 11 March 2023, 05:11:26 »
Keychron.

I'm pretty amazed how far the industry has come in the years, to be honest I've never imagined Cherry stabs ever living up to modded Costar's out of the box, but it's better

I got a barebone kit to test, just wish I got the full package to experience that pre-made keyboard feeling once more that I first lived when I got my first WASD keyboard
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
Re: My $500 Costar Endgame vs $100 Cherry Keychron - Who wins?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 11 March 2023, 10:56:11 »
Yeah it's pretty surprising how far Cherry style stabs have come. If you found the stock Keychron ones nice you should really give TX stabs a try. They emulate OG Cherry PCB mount clip ins, but have much better tolerances & use a softer plastic for where the wire goes through the slider. They're IMO the best Cherry style stabs out there right now. Although honestly a properly tuned OG Cherry PCB mount clip ins have served me very well VS Costars in the past (the new ones got retooled molds & don't perform as well). Then Durock V1 & V2 PCB mount screw in stas are pretty good also IME. Plus there is a ton of supposedly improved Cherry style stabs out there that a lot of people like (OwlLabs, Gateron Ink, regular Gateron). With all those out I've personally stopped using Costar stabs in builds that will take both Costar & Cherry. Definitely worth trying some of those if you've been exclusively using Costar for the past few years.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 11 March 2023, 11:00:57 »
Thank you a lot for the suggestions and insight
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 11 March 2023, 11:18:55 »
Thank you a lot for the suggestions and insight

No problem, let us know if you do try any of those out & what you think of them!

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 11 March 2023, 12:22:03 »
Costar stabs gave me such a bad experience. Filco MJ2 stabs stayed rattily even with band aid and lube. Interference with Cherry profile keycaps and swapping out keycaps was a pain in the ass.

OG Cherry stabs with band aid mod and lube is infinitely better then modded costar. And now OEM's are also making good stabilizers with 0 rattle.

We reached the point where OEM keyboards also use custom mounting with good stabilizers.

current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 12 March 2023, 05:13:44 »
The Costars in the SMK 2nd gen Frankenforce 68 I cobbled together don't rattle at all with just a little dielectric grease wherever the wire contacts plastic. I'm not hypersensitive about stabs though and actually like them rattly when they are though.

I love Costars and find Cherry boring as hell.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 12 March 2023, 15:01:01 »
In a non-hot swap scenario, I'd take Costars.
They're easier to work on without desoldering and once stabs are working well they should be irrelevant. Good stabs are good stabs (though I'd argue all stabs are bad, some are just worse*).

In a hot swap, I'd take something with Cherry.
They're easier to tune (when you have access), more options for keyboards and stabs and while I don't expect hot swap to last as long as a soldered board they'll likely outlast your love of the board (provided you're careful) and hot swap is just sooooooooo much easier to fix when something has a problem. Better still, even generic Cherry style stabs have come a long ways*.

*Cherry and Costar were designed decades ago, I think we could do better today with a ground up redesign.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion