Author Topic: Help plz, I am trying to get out of a 4 consecutive defective keyboard hellhole.  (Read 10149 times)

Offline spitfire6000

Over the past 2 weeks I decided to get a new mechanical keyboard to go with my g500 logitech sitting on razer scarab. (yea i know, don't laugh it actually performs pretty well despite the embarrassing things that come with it. =)

Since 2 weeks ago,
I went through 2 brand new razer blackwidow ultimates, first one defective, 2nd one even worse. Returned for refund.

Got a das keyboard professional S silent, and it looks like someone spilled an acid vat and scratched it up like an ex girlfriend does to your car when shes going crazy.

http://jpegbay.com/gallery/001009354-.html#1

Thats how the first das board looked like 2 days ago strait out of the box, pretty shocking, i know.

The replacement came yesterday and its got the same cosmetic defects except the smudges and scratches are not as bad, while a new stain that looks like a light white "glueish" residue is all over the black glossy enclosure. I tried to remove it by rubbing with a moist microfiber cloth, but it wont come off...and its not from the protective plastic covering that the board comes with...I'm pretty sure its permanent.

Kind of upsetting since the razer didn't have any defects with the cosmetics..just the keys and backlights LOL =P

I actually believed the das keyboard was a used or returned item that they gave me by mistake when packing in the warehouse. I've never received an item in this kind of condition, not even far cheaper peripherals. Add in the fact that the das keyboards dont have any QC stickers on the boxes, its easy to mistake a brand new das for a used or refurbished model. I simply told the newegg rep that my das keyboard had no seal on the box of any kind, she was surprised and quick to rush me another new board, which also...had no seal =D

The das performs excellently, I just want the board to look like a 130-150 dollar high end board that its supposed to be. These cosmetic defects are unacceptable in this price range, despite the fact that most of us don't even look at our boards most of the time.

I want a DECK legend so bad, but its way too expensive and sold out for another 2 months at least. I see others here recommend Filco...but how much will that cost me? I live in the northeastern USA.

All im asking for is a keyboard that is worth the price tag that these ones have on them...the Das keyboard is more like a 100-110 dollar board, and the razer is like 50-70 and a nice pretty toy to give to your younger sister =P

I want brown switches, blue clicky annoys me and is distracting while gaming, also the double tap is awful.

Would you even suggest that I keep one of the das keyboards? One has a dimmer and darker blue led numlock indicator that is not matching to the other 2 caps and scroll lock lights. The latter two match all 3 on the first keyboard but not sure if this will be an issue down the road.

The das keyboard situation is:

First board
1) More scratches and smudges on glossy finish, all uncleanable
2) LED lights all match, all 3 same color and brightness

RMA replacement
1) Less scratches and smudges on glossy finish, but the serial number is a lesser number than the first board. Not sure if it really matters though, but I'm guessing the replacement is an older production set than the first.
2) LED light under numlock is darker and dimmer blue than the other 2 caps and scroll. The caps and scroll match the first board in color and intensity, but the numlock is darker and dimmer all on its own. Not sure if this is an intended occurence, but at least the backlight isnt flickering or dying out.

I dont want to rma the das again, because im 99% positive that they're all like this in terms of cosmetic quality:
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?17278-Das-Keyboard-Normal-vs-Silent-other-question

Keep one of the das? if so which one? I am worried that the darker blue numlock led will die on me in the future, and that would be so lame for a 135 dollar keyboard =/

or go for a filco instead?

I just want 40 dollar keyboard quality control like in my logitech elite from 2002, in my 130-150 dollar mechanical keyboard. Is that possible or am I asking for something that which can not be done?

Offline Jago

Just get a Filco, it's pretty much the gold standard in quality keyboards with cherry mx switches.
Topre Realforce 88UB all-45g (home)
Filco Majestouch brown (work)

Offline spitfire6000

Also...

I need someone to point me into the right direction when it comes to all these lesser known mech keyboards. I don't know anything about which one is good or not, and the reviews are conflicting so I don't know what to believe.

I keep seeing filco pop up so I am guessing thats one of the best for 150, but what else is there?

I was very close to ordering a Xarmor UBL instead of the razer blackwidow but the lack of support and knowledge about the keyboard turned me off. Also their distributor on amazon told me that the ubl and the razer are practically the same...so I am kind of happy that I did not get it after seeing the boards firsthand. =P

These Leopold keyboards look identical to the das silent i am typing on right now...even down to the O.K. sticker on the back, same sticker here on my board...only difference is that the leopold doesnt have a blochy/scratched glossy encasing, and its also 30 US cheaper.

http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=leopold,tenkeyless&pid=fc200rtab

Offline spitfire6000

Hey so...is this the filco you were talking about?

http://www.amazon.com/Filco-Majestouch-2-Keyboard-FKBN104M-EB2/dp/B004VKUSG6/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1308315065&sr=1-1

Its very similar to the das i have now...but what is better in it? I see its got a regular non glossy encasing which is a big plus, but what about the insides and actual feel of it?

Offline jnchin

my friend let me type on his filco brown one day for about a minute for a quick email.  Since he was watching me I couldn't steal his keyboard, but I have bought one based on that hot minute.  I dont know how other mech keyboards are, but the filco brown is pretty amazing..
--------------------------------------------
Filco Majestouch 2 Brown Cherry::Logitech Illuminated Keyboard

Offline REVENGE

Quote from: spitfire6000;362305
Hey so...is this the filco you were talking about?

http://www.amazon.com/Filco-Majestouch-2-Keyboard-FKBN104M-EB2/dp/B004VKUSG6/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1308315065&sr=1-1

Its very similar to the das i have now...but what is better in it? I see its got a regular non glossy encasing which is a big plus, but what about the insides and actual feel of it?
They have a reputation for quality, and that case isn't going to attract scratches and fingerprints like a glossy case would. Filcos or Leopolds are basically your last option, no-one is going to have a higher quality Cherry based keyboard at the moment.

As an alternate POV, my BlackWidow standard came out of the box without a single scratch, scuff, or smear on its glossy surface. A week later and it was covered left to right with smears and fingerprints. I'm sure the scratches will follow suit in the months to come. Doesn't change the fact that it types great though.
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 June 2011, 08:34:01 by REVENGE »
◕ ‿ ◕

Offline fds

Those pics look normal to me. The trademark of glossy finish is that it scratches / scoffs easily and tends to be a finger print and dust magnet.

Also, Filco Ninja w/cherry browns user reporting in. It's awesome.
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 June 2011, 09:02:23 by fds »
Quote from: Zensuji;359837
Yeah I\'d defo keep it. I got 3 filcos here and all of them ping.  Didnt think anything of it until I read on here. Its 2 gen1\'s and a ninja and they all do it. I just hear it as all part of the filco sound and I quite like it. It must be extremely common as all 3 of mine and my friends does it. So out of the 4 Filcos I\'ve used all of them from different gens and batches all do it. I\'m sure if I get another and it doesnt ping you\'ll see a thread from me saying "WTF my filco doesnt ping!! return?!?"

Offline Chobopants

If you want a keyboard that performs like a $150 keyboard you have to buy a $150 keyboard. :)

I tried other brands and just ended up buying 3 Filcos if that's any indication. You'll also notice that 3 of Ripster's top 5 keyboards are Filcos.

The only other brands that have that fit and finish are Realforce and IBM's so if you're looking for a Cherry switch and want the best of the best, Filco is the go to.

Honestly don't think you'll be as happy with a Deck as you would a Filco, though if you want backlighting and crazy fonts go for it. I also live in NE USA and the prices for Filcos are just fine if you wait for The Keyboard Company to stock Amazon.

This is what you want -
http://www.amazon.com/Filco-Majestouch-2-Keyboard-FKBN104M-EB2/dp/B004VKUSG6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308319086&sr=8-1

That is the first 'board that I ever purchased and still my overall favorite for general purpose use. I hop onto my other ones for variety and novelty but, if I had to ever choose just one 'board, that's the one I'd keep.
Realforce 87UW 45g - Filco Blue 87 - Filco Linear R - Filco Brown 104

Offline Tony

Buy a Filco. You get what you pay for, and you have to regret only once about the price.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline morethanless

Omg, she has no nipples.

Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless LineaR
(Cherry MX Red)

Offline morethanless

Why is it German fashion?
Any evidence?

Even the top-level domain is .com or .tk.

But I agree weird image.

(Cherry MX Red)

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
I'm going to chime in with the Filco love. I have a Das Ulti S w/ blues, had it for a few months. Bought a Filco, and now I have 3 Filcos and the Das Keyboard is collecting dust.

Offline nhwhaup

I bought a Das straight from Das and mine was perfect when it arrived.  However once I pulled off the protective film, the glossy part kept coming up with a milky film.  I would have to wipe it daily and the film kept coming back.  I was wiping it constantly with a microfiber cloth and it started scratching pretty quickly.  I was so irritated with it that I returned it.  I wonder what they do with the returns - maybe sell them over at newegg.......

Definitely go for the Filco.  Excellent quality build and just an overall super keyboard.  I wasn't crazy about the browns so I bought one full sized Filco with reds and liked it so much that I went back and bought another tenkeyless version with reds.
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 June 2011, 17:19:48 by nhwhaup »
Current in order of preference:  RealForce 87U Silent White with variable weighted keys X 2, Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless with Linear Reds, Filco Number-pad, Poker with Linear Reds

Sold or returned:  Multiple Microsoft and Logitech keyboards, Das Keyboard Silent, Cherry 6140, RealForce 103UB, RealForce 86U, Filco Majestouch 2 full sized with Linear Reds

Offline Tallon

I'm truly shocked at how bad that Das is... you bought it straight from Das? I did, and mine was pretty darn perfect =-\. I have heard other people, though (like nhwhaup) who say they have problems with white filming. I don't have problems with my keyboard, such as white filming - or any other problem, but maybe you should go after a different board =-\

Offline nhwhaup

Quote from: ripster;362721
Shocked?  Seemed just a cosmetic issue to me.

Cosmetic??  I work for a top supplier of automotive seals and our customers are extremely picky. We can send a 100 % functional seal and if the coloring looks different they will send them back. Now mind you, the seals are truly fine in functionality and the coloring has no influence in longevity or anything like that.  Furthermore once the seals are assembled no one sees them, especially not the final customer.  So as far as customer satisfaction goes I'm used to supplying functional and well as a cosmetically pleasing product.  When I'm the customer and am paying for 1st quality I won't accept less.  From experience holding suppliers to excellent quality only makes them get their quality standards tighter and makes for a better product overall.

Personally, I would send them both back and get a Filco. My experience with Filcos has been super.
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 June 2011, 06:39:46 by nhwhaup »
Current in order of preference:  RealForce 87U Silent White with variable weighted keys X 2, Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless with Linear Reds, Filco Number-pad, Poker with Linear Reds

Sold or returned:  Multiple Microsoft and Logitech keyboards, Das Keyboard Silent, Cherry 6140, RealForce 103UB, RealForce 86U, Filco Majestouch 2 full sized with Linear Reds

Offline nolo

Quote from: ripster;362377
Latest style in Germany.  No nipples.

Seems to be the latest style in sweden, too.

IMHO Get a Filco !!!

Offline morethanless

Without nipples it looks so boring.

(Cherry MX Red)

Offline spitfire6000

Guys...

I think unforuntaley i will be returning the das silent to newegg for full refund. I will ahve lost 20 in shipping after these two returns and rmas.

I want to go for a filco off amazon but...

Does it have lazered on keys like the das does? or are they painted on? and if so...will this be an issue anytime over the next 10 years?

Also...i ordered the razer and das from newegg, but the filco will come from amazon through some uk company.

What happens if my filco comes with a defect? How is returns and rmas through amazon work? good or bad?

Finally....between the filco brown and the new limited edition filco reds...what is better for overall typing and gaming?

Offline Backward_Pawn

Go with the Filco from Amazon, you won't regret it.  they come from Amazon's warehouse, so you won't have to wait for it to be shipped from the UK...unless Amazon is out of what you want and you order it directly from the UK (more expensive and longer shipping that way).

Unfortunately, the keys are not lasered, so it may become a cosmetic problem over time.  If this is an issue, though, go for the Filco Ninja...legends are on the front of keys so you won't be touching them much and its only about $10 more.  Amazon has brown and black ninjas in stock, but reds are regular Magestouch keyboards.

I can't answer the question about Reds, since I've only used Browns.  I like the browns for both gaming and typing, but general consensus is that red is better for gaming and brown is better for typing (though its a good compromise for people who do both).  Hopefully someone whose tried more boards can answer this question.

BP

Offline spitfire6000

I'm truly shocked at how bad that Das is... you bought it straight from Das? I did, and mine was pretty darn perfect =-\. I have heard other people, though (like nhwhaup) who say they have problems with white filming. I don't have problems with my keyboard, such as white filming - or any other problem, but maybe you should go after a different board =-\

YES! I am happy you're appalled as I am...

I KNEW there was something wrong with this...but as I said before the SECOND das RMA replacement that I got from newegg was also scratched up and blemished but not as much so. Instead, the numlock LED light is of a different tone and color than the rest on the 2 boards.

What should I do here? Should I order:
http://www.bestplasticcleaner.com/

And clean the first keyboard I got to remove the scratches and make it look new? Im not sure if this will even work, just being optimistic.

The keys on the first das are very light and all feel the same, but on the 2nd one the keys on the right side of the board feel a little stiffer, while the ones on the left seem lighter.

The first board is perfect in my opinion, key wise, but that damn casing that holds it is so messed up and unacceptable =(

I am considering ordering another Das from das themselves and making sure they give me a good pick, because the idea of key lablels wearing off on the filcos sound kinda disheartening to me. The das got lazer etched keys.

Still trying to decide what to do....ugh...why dont we ever come across these kinds of quality issues with cheap products. Ive had logitech stuff out of the box looking and working perfect indefinitely forever, assuming I myself dont break them, and I scrutinize my pc accessories quite heavily :)

Offline spitfire6000

Quote from: Backward_Pawn;363152
Go with the Filco from Amazon, you won't regret it.  they come from Amazon's warehouse, so you won't have to wait for it to be shipped from the UK...unless Amazon is out of what you want and you order it directly from the UK (more expensive and longer shipping that way).

Unfortunately, the keys are not lasered, so it may become a cosmetic problem over time.  If this is an issue, though, go for the Filco Ninja...legends are on the front of keys so you won't be touching them much and its only about $10 more.  Amazon has brown and black ninjas in stock, but reds are regular Magestouch keyboards.

I can't answer the question about Reds, since I've only used Browns.  I like the browns for both gaming and typing, but general consensus is that red is better for gaming and brown is better for typing (though its a good compromise for people who do both).  Hopefully someone whose tried more boards can answer this question.

BP

Ohhh....thats a GREAT idea, I did not know the ninja edition existed until now.

So...this is the one I want correct?
http://www.amazon.com/Majestouch-2-Tactile-Keyboard-FKBN104M-EFB2/dp/B004Z0XR2O/ref=sr_1_cc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1308455701&sr=1-2-catcorr

Scratch that idea of getting a new das from das....this is just too much cooler :)

Offline False_Dmitry_II

As far as das' go, you should have bought them from das directly. Mine showed up perfect and still is. Secondly, if it's really just cosmetic and that's all that is wrong with them I think you should consider what some other people have done with theirs (and with blackwidows) who don't like the shiny anyway. That is to sand it off until you get a matte finish. You can find more info about that in the mods section.

As far as switches go, those are very much personal preference. If I had to choose between those two I'd pick browns. Out of cherry stuff in general though, I'd choose blue, clears, or ergo clears (clear stem, lighter spring).

As far as keys go, and you think you'll be bugged too much by fading keys you could buy a set of pbt caps.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline Zet

get filcos if that gloss bothers you so much. I also happen to have a filco, and I love it big time. After switching from rubber domes, to red switches, the light feel on the keys feels like a complete relief for your fingers... really.

Don't worry about the keycaps, the lettering will remain there until you die. My keycaps haven't got shiny yet since I take care of washing my hands before using the board, I couldn't love my filco more, really

Offline spitfire6000

Okay I am thoroughly convinced at this point...

I will be getting the filco ninja brown switch full version on monday

http://www.amazon.com/Majestouch-2-Tactile-Keyboard-FKBN104M-EFB2/dp/B004Z0XR2O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1308476064&sr=8-3

Its a little more expensive than the das was, but it seems like filco has their quality control together better than das does by a long shot.

Theyre probably made in the same exact factory I am thinking...because both have the circular O.K. sticker on the back of them....same as the leopolds do...meaning maybe all 3 of them are from the same taiwan factory.

Offline Chobopants

Also you can just buy a set of different keycaps for 30 bucks if you have any problems with wear on the keys. The important thing is that the switches and chassis are solid as a rock and will last you many many years.
Realforce 87UW 45g - Filco Blue 87 - Filco Linear R - Filco Brown 104

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
Quote from: spitfire6000;363252
Okay I am thoroughly convinced at this point...

I will be getting the filco ninja brown switch full version on monday

http://www.amazon.com/Majestouch-2-Tactile-Keyboard-FKBN104M-EFB2/dp/B004Z0XR2O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1308476064&sr=8-3

Its a little more expensive than the das was, but it seems like filco has their quality control together better than das does by a long shot.

Theyre probably made in the same exact factory I am thinking...because both have the circular O.K. sticker on the back of them....same as the leopolds do...meaning maybe all 3 of them are from the same taiwan factory.

Great choice. I have 3 Filcos and a Das 3 Ultimate, and I can't remember the last time I touched my Das Keyboard. You pay a little more for the Filco, but it's totally worth it IMO. And the Ninja caps are just the icing on the cake, don't have to worry about the letters fading.

Offline Tony

Quote from: spitfire6000;363252

It is highly likely, but do you notice that sticker in other electronic and electrical products too? It can stick to any products. All we can say is that these stickers are made by the same sticker manufacturer.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline elitekeyboards

• * Commercial Vendor
    • http://elitekeyboards.com
Filcos and Das are made in the same factory, Leopold is made in a different factory altogether. Quality control is one of the reasons we don't carry Filco anymore; it was just hard to stand behind it. I won't go into details, as my potential for bias can't be disputed, but I had a hard time being honest. I sleep better these days.

And for what it's worth, as far as defectives go, Realforces and HHKBs are near zero, and while we haven't been carrying Leopolds, but for only a few months, the 30 day DOA rate is less than a third of what it was with Filco.

My 2 pesos.

Offline sordna

Were most of the Filco returns due to ping/ring noise issues, or non-noise related?
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline Zhuni

Quote from: daerid;363773
Great choice. I have 3 Filcos and a Das 3 Ultimate, and I can't remember the last time I touched my Das Keyboard. You pay a little more for the Filco, but it's totally worth it IMO. And the Ninja caps are just the icing on the cake, don't have to worry about the letters fading.

"You will never feel stress from fading letters that would make your keyboard crummy."
[sigpic] [/sigpic]
KBC Poker

Offline spitfire6000

It is highly likely, but do you notice that sticker in other electronic and electrical products too? It can stick to any products. All we can say is that these stickers are made by the same sticker manufacturer.

Tony...its pretty easy to put two and two together...Das and Filco are both manufactured in taiwan, they both use the same cherry blue and cherry brown switches, and if you turn a filco and a das around and look at it from the back, they have the SAME EXACT rubber footies and swing out plastic legs, AND AND AND they have the same exact O.K. quality control stickers in the same exact location on their backs.

Oh yea...and if all those coincidences werent enough to suspect theyre made at the same exact factory...that little o.k. sticker serves a warranty puirpose, because the ONLY way to dissasemble the das or filco, is to remove all the screws, and the main one being guess where? Behind the ok sticker.

Filcos and Das are made in the same factory, Leopold is made in a different factory altogether. Quality control is one of the reasons we don't carry Filco anymore; it was just hard to stand behind it. I won't go into details, as my potential for bias can't be disputed, but I had a hard time being honest. I sleep better these days.

And for what it's worth, as far as defectives go, Realforces and HHKBs are near zero, and while we haven't been carrying Leopolds, but for only a few months, the 30 day DOA rate is less than a third of what it was with Filco.

My 2 pesos.

Damnit...I was hoping I was not right about that...but I mean come on....its only common sense. Sigh...so what now?

Which one of my defect Das should I keep: the one with the really bad scratches in the plastic and the lighter key feel...or the one with the defective/wrong model LED sitting in the numlock area and the tighter key feel... =/ Theyre both using the same cherry browns, I really dont know why the heck they feel so different...

I actually send an email to das asking about the serial numbers on both, and the tight one with numlock defect is made in january 2011, while the lighter one with scratches galore is made march 2011 (scratches meaning big WHTIE ones, not the little hairlike things you need to really concentrate to notice).

I really hope that when I get that filco ninja full size this week, that it wont turn into another blackwidow incident.