Author Topic: Choosing between red and brown switches  (Read 49181 times)

Offline edlp456

Choosing between red and brown switches
« on: Mon, 14 May 2018, 20:11:50 »
Hi. So I'm about to buy my first ever mechanical keyboard and I'm not quite sure which switch to buy. After reading a lot about Gateron vs. Cherry I think I'm gonna stick with Gateron, but I'm still unsure whether I should pick the red or the brown ones. I was pretty much sure I was gonna pick the reds but considering I'm gonna use it mostly for typing, I'm not so sure, as people say browns are better for that. What do you say?

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
Re: Choosing between red and brown switches
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 14 May 2018, 20:16:14 »
Hi. So I'm about to buy my first ever mechanical keyboard and I'm not quite sure which switch to buy. After reading a lot about Gateron vs. Cherry I think I'm gonna stick with Gateron, but I'm still unsure whether I should pick the red or the brown ones. I was pretty much sure I was gonna pick the reds but considering I'm gonna use it mostly for typing, I'm not so sure, as people say browns are better for that. What do you say?
What kind of typing do you do?
I find linears to be fine for typing, but reds may be too light. I do not like browns, but I'm unaware of retail boards with better tactile switches.
That is if you're omitting Topre.

Offline edlp456

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 14 May 2018, 20:19:28 »
I find linears to be fine for typing, but reds may be too light. I do not like browns, but I'm unaware of retail boards with better tactile switches.

Normal internet browsing and some Word documents. I'm buying the Tada68 so I can only choose between those two switches.

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 14 May 2018, 20:23:17 »
imo you can't really go too wrong with your first. browns and reds are both pretty standard, and in fact the tactile bump of the browns is slight enough that you usually forget it's there anyway

you will only really develop a preference after typing on one for a while

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 14 May 2018, 20:30:00 »

Normal internet browsing and some Word documents. I'm buying the Tada68 so I can only choose between those two switches.
Where are you ordering it? I'm seeing the same keyboard on Massdrop and KBDfans with more switch options.

The brown's tactility is not that strong, so if you're going with tactile you may have more, and better, options. However, they will be a bit more costly and not sure how much you'd want to splurge on your first mechanical keyboard.

Offline edlp456

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 14 May 2018, 20:37:39 »

Where are you ordering it? I'm seeing the same keyboard on Massdrop and KBDfans with more switch options.

The brown's tactility is not that strong, so if you're going with tactile you may have more, and better, options. However, they will be a bit more costly and not sure how much you'd want to splurge on your first mechanical keyboard.

Aliexpress. Massdrop does not let me order it. I tried three different credit cards and I get an error message every time. I have not received a response from support yet, so at this point f them. KBDfans is way too expensive to me, I already asked them how much was the shipping to my country and they said over 40 USD, so I guess I'll pass.

Offline opensecret

• 公开的秘密
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 16 May 2018, 13:58:12 »
I haven't used Gateron, but my Cherry history is blue --> red --> brown.  Blue was too heavy for me.  I like red, but it is light, and I've settled on the brown -- slightly heavier touch than red, with a modest little bump that feels good to me. 
IBM Model M |Matias Mini Quiet Pro|Plum 84EC-S|RealForce 103U-UW & 87U-UW|Omnikey Ultra T| 2 Omnikey Ultras| WASD V2| Xmit Hall Effect|

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 16 May 2018, 14:26:49 »
First keyboard I always recommend brown, 2 of my friends end up going red first and returned it and got brown after.

Not saying red's bad but it's acquired taste and getting used to typing on linear takes a bit of time.

Brown in general is more of the "nothing is wrong" safer option.

After that you can experiment on second keyboard.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 May 2018, 12:50:40 by Hyde »

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Parva Ovis

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 16 May 2018, 16:12:17 »
There's no such thing as X switch being better than Y switch for typing/gaming/etc; if you are interested in Reds, get Reds. Switch selection is ultimately based on the preference of the user, so if you can somehow try out both Reds and Browns before buying I would recommend doing so. When I chose my first keyboard, I ordered a few cheap boards with different switches on Amazon, tried them out, and returned them; I paid about $6 for the return shipping, which is cheaper than most switch testers. Some electronics stores like Best Buy usually have a keyboard with Cherry/Gateron Reds on display that you can test out.

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 16 May 2018, 17:20:00 »
Do you absolutely have to have your board assembled? I would say getting a TADA68 kit from Aliexpress (if they offer kits), getting some genuine Cherry/GMK plate mounted stabs for the stabilized keys, & getting the switches of your choice, not just what you are limited to with the product your looking at. If you do not have any experience building MKBs you could easily find someone from the community that would be more than willing to help you build it.

I will say, it may be a tiny bit more expensive going that route, but the pros heavily outweigh the cons IMHO. You'll get your choice of any switch under the sun, you'll get much higher quality stabilizers than will come with the kit/assembled board, & you'll have the option to lube the switches & stabilizers (big difference maker IME). Also, most importantly if you help whoever builds your board you'll get a crash course on how to do it & be able to build your own in the future! At least that's my 2 cents on your question OP. Either way I hope you get a board you really like & enjoy using for your 1st one! :thumb:

Offline edlp456

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 16 May 2018, 22:02:24 »
Do you absolutely have to have your board assembled? I would say getting a TADA68 kit from Aliexpress (if they offer kits), getting some genuine Cherry/GMK plate mounted stabs for the stabilized keys, & getting the switches of your choice, not just what you are limited to with the product your looking at. If you do not have any experience building MKBs you could easily find someone from the community that would be more than willing to help you build it.

I will say, it may be a tiny bit more expensive going that route, but the pros heavily outweigh the cons IMHO. You'll get your choice of any switch under the sun, you'll get much higher quality stabilizers than will come with the kit/assembled board, & you'll have the option to lube the switches & stabilizers (big difference maker IME). Also, most importantly if you help whoever builds your board you'll get a crash course on how to do it & be able to build your own in the future! At least that's my 2 cents on your question OP. Either way I hope you get a board you really like & enjoy using for your 1st one! :thumb:

Well, I'm kinda interested in doing that. Although I'm super scared of the soldering part, as I have never done anything like that. My parents would definitely never let me do that though. They didn't even let me build my first gaming PC. So maybe when I earn my own money I can do as I please, right now I just want to get started with mech keyboards. I'll definitely build my own someday, though.

Offline JohanAR

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 17 May 2018, 03:46:01 »
I have reds at home and browns at work. Typing is ok on reds but I think I prefer browns for that. I really like reds for gaming though. Try finding a computer store with mech keyboards on display, or find someone in your area who owns some boards and ask if you can try them

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 17 May 2018, 12:53:24 »
For typing I prefer:
Topre > Brown > Red

For gaming I prefer:
Red > Brown > Topre

Tactile switches generally give me less typo.  Brown is the jack of all trades, master of none, switch.
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 May 2018, 12:54:57 by Hyde »

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 17 May 2018, 13:20:32 »

Well, I'm kinda interested in doing that. Although I'm super scared of the soldering part, as I have never done anything like that. My parents would definitely never let me do that though. They didn't even let me build my first gaming PC. So maybe when I earn my own money I can do as I please, right now I just want to get started with mech keyboards. I'll definitely build my own someday, though.

I got you, well between reds & browns I would personal choose browns. Reds are just too light for me, even for gaming.

Offline edlp456

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 17 May 2018, 21:32:28 »
Alright, I already ordered the keyboard. I went with Gateron Browns. Thanks to all for the help  ;D  :D

Offline Merranza

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 18 May 2018, 06:18:47 »
It's really a matter of personal preference.

I went brown for my first keyboard and hated it deeply. Felt the bump was so subtle it was useless and only a hindrance when pressing a key (I like to hover just above the actuation point so having that extra resistance was not enjoyable).

I returned my keyboard and went red instead. Never looked back. I use red at home and at work. I'm a huge light linear fan and I want to try Gateron clear soon :)

Enjoy your new keyboard!
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 May 2018, 06:20:37 by Merranza »

Offline edlp456

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 18 May 2018, 20:11:12 »
It's really a matter of personal preference.

I went brown for my first keyboard and hated it deeply. Felt the bump was so subtle it was useless and only a hindrance when pressing a key (I like to hover just above the actuation point so having that extra resistance was not enjoyable).

I returned my keyboard and went red instead. Never looked back. I use red at home and at work. I'm a huge light linear fan and I want to try Gateron clear soon :)

Enjoy your new keyboard!

Thanks! I already went with Gateron Browns. I definitely want to try Reds, so later down the road when I decide to build myself another keyboard I'll get them and see if I like them better.

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 18 May 2018, 21:17:02 »
in my experience, linears only tend to really shine in custom boards where you can lube them real nice and use cool plates.
tactiles are the go-to to help you figure out whether you like the bump or need more noise, so I would start with those
welcome to the hobby

**left my 2 cents in case any other newbies come across this thread

Offline Belfong

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 18 May 2018, 21:38:04 »
That's the problem with mechanical keyboards and humans. You think you like red (or brown or whatever) and when you get that switch, your curious self will wonder how will the other switches feel. And then you start to buy your second keyboard, and the third and then you stumbled upon the "Topre switch is king" thread and you start to think, eh, $250 is not expensive after all and you buy the Topre keyboard and you start to like the SOUND of the keyboard instead of the feel... and it never ends... I think you should just delete your geekhack account and leave this place because, you are humans, and humans are not easily satisfied.

God, I sound like tp4.

Offline emenelopee

• *klomp klomp klomp* I step on your house 🦖
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 18 May 2018, 22:03:23 »
Red  :thumb:

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 20 May 2018, 01:33:11 »
I always feel as if I'm "missing out" on something if  I don't try a new board or switch.  Unfortunately these are not inexpensive endeavors. 

As far as my opinion, I think Gateron brown is a good starting point for your first mech keeb.
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 20 May 2018, 03:37:14 »
I have not tried any Gateron not Zealio switches and I don’t have any intend to do so. Cherry and Topre is keeping me busy already!

Sent from iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline 89sec

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 22:14:37 »
I personally prefer Cherry MX Red switches to Cherry MX Brown switches. In my opinion, the tactile bump of a Cherry MX Brown switch is insufficient for my tastes.

Offline sublyme

• sublyme_keys
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 09 June 2018, 10:51:38 »
If you can go somewhere to try them out I suggest that or maybe order a switch tester if nothing else. (less than $20 USD on amazon). Between the 2, I would pick red personally. Linear ftw ;)