Author Topic: Ducky ONE 2 TKL vs Leopold FC750R  (Read 6977 times)

Offline jackfrost

Ducky ONE 2 TKL vs Leopold FC750R
« on: Sat, 19 May 2018, 08:33:03 »
Hello,

I'm looking for a TKL keyboard.
I'd like to go with the Leopold FC750R but I can't find a reasonable price here in Germany (with shipping and taxes it becomes to damn expensive).
So im a bit in Love with the Ducky ONE 2 TKL Skyline version. I've researched a bit and like the Sound from the Leopold more, I'll guess its due to the sound dampening foam, they built in? The Ducky seems to sound more hollow. Also I've read that Leopold comes pre-lubed. Currently I own a Topre Type Heaven and some Keyboards with Red, Black, Blue and Brown switches. I've tested the Logitech G Pro Keyboard with Romer-G switches and I must admit, that I'd like the switch, I think mainly because of the deep and silent sound. With the towel mod I could live with the ping, but without it pings way to strong.

So the questions are, what are your opinions on the Ducky? Are they pre-lubed to? (Are Leopolds?) If I put a dampening foam myself into the Ducky case, is it realistic that I get the same sound I've heard on the Leopold FC750R?

Offline Entropia

Re: Ducky ONE 2 TKL vs Leopold FC750R
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 19 May 2018, 08:42:48 »
The 1,5 mm thick PBT keycaps on the Leopold make an important difference, in durability, in sound and in typing sensations. Also, although Duckys are very good keyboards, I don't think they can match Leopolds in terms of build quality and finish. I own two FC980M with blacks and I couldn't be happier. The switches are very very smooth and I love how the keyboard looks, feels and sounds.

Offline jackfrost

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 19 May 2018, 08:59:42 »
The Ducky One's keycaps are about 1.3mm or? Are there any other good Leopold TKL keyboards to look out for? I prefer ANSI US-Layout. I would love to get a Leopold but they're sold out on a lot of shops and  it's kinda like 120 Bucks for the Ducky and about 200 for a FC750R which is about 50 bucks of taxes and I don't know if these wounds will heal  :))

So I'm hoping a Ducky + 2-10 Bucks sound dampening foam will be the better deal?
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 May 2018, 09:02:27 by jackfrost »

Offline jackfrost

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 20 May 2018, 05:26:25 »
Thanks, I contacted these sites already since everything is out of stock and nothing is listed on their incoming pages. I was trying to find a Vermilo VA87M with no luck ether :(

Edit: They got blue switches which I don't prefer atm I'm not totally sure about which switch I'd like but I guess I would like some browns since I gave mine away although I'd like to come close feeling and sound wise to the romer g which id like (don't kill me pls) a little more tactile feel would be nice though. Blacks were my first switch and I didn't really like them back then because I'd like to have clicky blues, I've heard some lubed vintage blacks on YouTube and they sound amazing
« Last Edit: Sun, 20 May 2018, 05:34:45 by jackfrost »

Offline Grossmeister

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 20 May 2018, 08:49:42 »
You might want to check my thread about similar choice.

Offline jackfrost

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 20 May 2018, 12:45:30 »
You might want to check my thread about similar choice.

Thanks a lot I remembered this and stopped reading back then because I think it's about the old Ducky one? The ducky one 2 seems to have detachable cable and so on. And everybody was recommending Leopold :)

Have you tried installing something to dampen sound under the PCB? Does the ping go away and does the board sound different then? I'll guess if you lay it on a thick fluffy towel it should do nearly the same? Or consider lubing the switches? Can you say something now after a few month of use?

Edit: NVM I thought your latest post there was on February, messed up the dates 😂
« Last Edit: Sun, 20 May 2018, 12:48:05 by jackfrost »

Offline Grossmeister

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 20 May 2018, 13:23:07 »
I don't know if my Ducky One is new or old (model name is DKON1687), but it has a detachable cable. I use the board for only 3 weeks for now and still getting used to it. I don't think I will try to disassemble it and install some dampener inside before a few months of usage - first I want to completely "learn" it (and I also want to check typical mods manuals before doing something).