Author Topic: two trackballs for diffent things  (Read 11820 times)

Offline tebla

two trackballs for diffent things
« on: Tue, 16 March 2021, 04:40:26 »
Does anyone know of a way to use two trackballs for different things? I want one to move the cursor as normal but the other one to just scroll horizontally and vertically. Windows will recognise them both but I don't know how to set them up to do different things.

Preferably a solution that doesn't involve writing my own drivers or taking apart the trackballs to nab the sensors and connect them to a single microcontroller (way above my skillset), although if this is the only way I would consider trying to learn it.

Offline blur410

• Memewhile in World of Tanks...
Re: two trackballs for diffent things
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 04 April 2021, 13:18:10 »
You could also use a programmable rotary encoder for this at a much cheaper price, as I do, but the new Ploopy nano is QMK compatible and could be set up for scrolling while moving while your main trackball does trackball things.
Keyboard Ownership History: Dynex(Rubber dome chicklet keys)-EXTINCT, Macbook Air 2016(Scissor switch)-ACTIVE, Razer Ornata(Mecha-membrane)-EXTINCT, Corsair K68 RGB(Cherry MX Reds)-RETIRED, Razer Tartarus Pro(Razer optical analog)-RETIRED, Idobao ID-75(NK Creams)-SHELF, HHKB Pro 3 Classic(Topre BKE MX Mount)-ACTIVE, New Model F62(Capacitive buckling springs)-ACTIVE, Realforce 23UB(Topre)-ACTIVE, BM60-RGBEC w/KBDFANS 5 Degree Case(NK BOX Pinks)-SHELF, Focus 2001 (Alps White)-SHELF, Unidentified Vintage MX Black Board-SHELF

Offline tebla

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 05 April 2021, 04:08:00 »
You could also use a programmable rotary encoder for this at a much cheaper price, as I do, but the new Ploopy nano is QMK compatible and could be set up for scrolling while moving while your main trackball does trackball things.

Thanks! I'm considering rotary encoders too, but the two trackball thing.. this may sound silly but the plan is to have a trackball attached on each side of my Ergodox build and I think it would look cool to have it symmetrical.

Ploopy nano looks cool, QMK compatible? I didn't even realize QMK supported mice/trackballs!

Offline jamster

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 05 April 2021, 05:46:54 »
Kensington Orbit has a wheel that surrounds the ball, and this wheel scrolls the page.

Doesn't help with the symmetry thing, but functionality-wise it's great.

Offline tebla

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 05 April 2021, 07:46:17 »
Kensington Orbit has a wheel that surrounds the ball, and this wheel scrolls the page.

Doesn't help with the symmetry thing, but functionality-wise it's great.

Thanks, Kensington Orbit is my daily driver, absolutely love it!

I'm actually planning to use two of them for the build. I'd like to have 6 axis of control: right trackball move mouse, right scroll wheel verticle scroll, left trackball horizontal and verticle zoom, left scroll wheel horizontal scroll. might seem a little excessive but these are all functions I use a ton in my DAW so having them as dedicated controls instead of with modifier keys would be pretty nice I think. 

Another thing a little unusual I'm thinking of trying is having the left/middle/right mouse buttons mapped to keys on the left half of the ergodox. Might make click-dragging actions nicer instead of having to hold the mouse button and move the trackball at the same time with right hand.

Offline RSMilward

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 13 May 2021, 10:09:43 »
I use EitherMouse https://www.eithermouse.com/ on my desktop machine with 2 Elecom trackballs (left and right) with mirrored cursors. I keep one on my menus and use the other for drawing. Check it out - satisfied user here!