Author Topic: [GB] Maxkey SA Calm Depths (shifts being made)  (Read 160258 times)

Offline ye_cole

[GB] Maxkey SA Calm Depths (shifts being made)
« on: Fri, 28 July 2017, 14:21:22 »

IF YOU NEED AN EXTRA 2.25u SHIFT PLEASE SEE HERE https://goo.gl/forms/jNgeYRXaVs17heEJ2
« Last Edit: Sun, 21 October 2018, 13:49:38 by ye_cole »

Offline KevlarBear

Re: [IC] Maxkey SA Calm Depths
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 28 July 2017, 15:41:24 »
I, for one, am looking forward to this set and hopefully the fixed kerning translates to future sets developed with them. Thanks for taking the initiative!

Offline bciamny

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 28 July 2017, 15:57:11 »
great job with this and all the work you've been doing for your various ic's :)

Offline ye_cole

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 28 July 2017, 16:17:16 »
great job with this and all the work you've been doing for your various ic's :)

Thank you! Just wanted to let everybody know here, SA Fortune isn't cancelled, it's going to be coming after this. I wanted to make my first set have a lot of compatibility, so I'm running this first, so, like molds and such. Yeah.

Offline Cods

• Penumbra SA Mark II please?
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 29 July 2017, 17:51:38 »
Interesting!
Model M Industrial, SSK, Unicomp 104, Code TKL MX Green, FC660M MX Green + Clear + White + Grey, FC660C Topre 45g, MagicForce 68 USB and Bluetooth, Whitefox, some optical switch 65% Bluetooth split spacebar thing ... wait, I think I need an intervention. Too late, there’s a couple of new Model Fs on the way.
Too much SA is never enough.

Offline zabuza1997

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 30 July 2017, 17:02:33 »
Up!!!!! :p :p :p

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 31 July 2017, 02:42:22 »
Where did the layout image go? And 180$ at 200 units? Bruh, did MaxKeys already overtake SP in pricing? I don't see 200 people buying an inferior product at more than what a rerun on Massdrop would cost, and the short lead time won't save that.

Offline ye_cole

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 31 July 2017, 12:25:01 »
Where did the layout image go? And 180$ at 200 units? Bruh, did MaxKeys already overtake SP in pricing? I don't see 200 people buying an inferior product at more than what a rerun on Massdrop would cost, and the short lead time won't save that.

Sorry about that (frankly, rather insane) pricing. I'm pretty much doing this (nearly) at cost, and MOQ is actually 500 units. I was splitting the total amount by around 200, 250, and so on, and then using that as the price. I assumed this was an easier way to hit MOQ instead of saying that the MOQ is 500, but it'll cost around 80 dollars. Either way, it ends up with it being the same at 500 MOQ. You're right about the pricing though, that is sure to put many people off. I've updated it to start at 300.
« Last Edit: Mon, 31 July 2017, 12:31:58 by ye_cole »

Offline Atredl

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 31 July 2017, 15:47:26 »

Sorry about that (frankly, rather insane) pricing. I'm pretty much doing this (nearly) at cost, and MOQ is actually 500 units. I was splitting the total amount by around 200, 250, and so on, and then using that as the price. I assumed this was an easier way to hit MOQ instead of saying that the MOQ is 500, but it'll cost around 80 dollars. Either way, it ends up with it being the same at 500 MOQ. You're right about the pricing though, that is sure to put many people off. I've updated it to start at 300.
Um yeah, but say you only sell 350. Unlikely but let's just go with it for the moment. The way you divided the 500 MOQ price would mean that you would have enough money to buy 500 sets. What would you do with the other 150 sets that were bought?

I'm not saying that you intended to do this maliciously but you can't just divide the total cost of the MOQ to get smaller MOQs. That 300 MOQ you have listed isn't real since you would still have enough money to buy 500 sets.

Offline Hokabuki

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 31 July 2017, 15:51:20 »

Um yeah, but say you only sell 350. Unlikely but let's just go with it for the moment. The way you divided the 500 MOQ price would mean that you would have enough money to buy 500 sets. What would you do with the other 150 sets that were bought?

I'm not saying that you intended to do this maliciously but you can't just divide the total cost of the MOQ to get smaller MOQs. That 300 MOQ you have listed isn't real since you would still have enough money to buy 500 sets.
Sounds like he's buying 500 sets no matter what. But if not enough people join, he just keeps the rest? If 200 people joined at $180 they really should get at least 2 complete sets. Wtf is going on here?

Offline ye_cole

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 01 August 2017, 01:20:09 »

Hey man! This whole 500 total is mostly derived from me being a dumbass. Basically, I only asked maxkeys for the 500 MOQ quote, and I was using that as a base. However, the 200 MOQ quote should probably be more accurate. It's pretty late ATM, but I'll ask them for a new quote for 200 MOQ in the morning. This should make the prices cheaper. In short, I'm not going to be getting 150 extra sets. That would be ludicrous. This situation was caused by a logical error on my part (i'm a dumbass), and I'm not trying to rip off the community.

Sounds like he's buying 500 sets no matter what. But if not enough people join, he just keeps the rest? If 200 people joined at $180 they really should get at least 2 complete sets. Wtf is going on here?

Actually, just asked for the 500 quote and was dividing that price to get approx price points. Didn't realize how that came off, I apologize. I'll get some updated quotes at a later date for 200 MOQ. Have a nice day!

Offline Atredl

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 01 August 2017, 01:43:22 »

Hey man! This whole 500 total is mostly derived from me being a dumbass. Basically, I only asked maxkeys for the 500 MOQ quote, and I was using that as a base. However, the 200 MOQ quote should probably be more accurate. It's pretty late ATM, but I'll ask them for a new quote for 200 MOQ in the morning. This should make the prices cheaper. In short, I'm not going to be getting 150 extra sets. That would be ludicrous. This situation was caused by a logical error on my part (i'm a dumbass), and I'm not trying to rip off the community.
That's quite an error to make..

Offline zabuza1997

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 02 August 2017, 17:37:38 »
Bump!!!

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 02 August 2017, 17:39:38 »
Could be cheaper if you removed all those duplicate keys

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 02 August 2017, 17:45:21 »

I'm pretty sure when he got the render they were insisting on selling their standard keys in addition to the ones with fixed legends. That may have changed since I think Lime is fixing them now>?

Offline breusch91

• * Maker
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 02 August 2017, 22:45:19 »

I'm pretty sure when he got the render they were insisting on selling their standard keys in addition to the ones with fixed legends. That may have changed since I think Lime is fixing them now>?

Believe this was correct. Maxkeys was making him buy the original messed up keys as well, just getting the fixed keys instead wasnt an option according to maxkeys

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 02 August 2017, 23:06:31 »

Believe this was correct. Maxkeys was making him buy the original messed up keys as well, just getting the fixed keys instead wasnt an option according to maxkeys

What a joke (if true)

Offline simonyunhe

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 02 August 2017, 23:57:29 »
This is what I know. The current GB MAXKEY is working on is the Lime set and this set will create massive new mod to fix the legend error and other things. Both designers and MAXKEY will pay some of the costs. This is also the reason why the price of set goes from $80 to $100.
KeyBs:|RS96-Brown|GS-87-White|DIYer60-Red|VA68M-Brown|GS-ALT71-Blue|IKBC-108-Black|
KeyCs:|SA Carbon R1+2|SA Camping|SA Amazing Chocolatier|SA Commando 88 Ghost|SA Hyperfuse|SA Penumbra|SA Doom|SA Creamy Orange|SA Ocean Dolch|SA Lotus*72|SA Trouble Minds R2|DSA Granite|GMK TA|GMK Soware|XDA Mailstone|GM Ember|

Offline SteezeTrain

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 03 August 2017, 00:02:52 »
I would possibly join. But at this price point I would need a 2u shift

Offline Calza

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 03 August 2017, 02:07:20 »
I would be all over MAXKEY if only they had ISO

Offline ye_cole

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 03 August 2017, 19:53:40 »
Update 3! See top, or if you're too lazy (like me), see here:

Update 3: Removed pricing, please wait for further information on that. Also, got some things worked out with maxkeys, and they gave me some good news about the molds. If everything goes to plan, GB will start 9:00 AM PST on Sept 2, and will run for about a month or so to allow everyone to get in. Hype train engaged? Maybe not? I'm not sure. The GB date is not final, and is subject to change. With that being said, yay! I'm rather exited.

Offline Jubileus

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 05 August 2017, 08:37:07 »
Will you allow maxkey to sell it directly also like Miami nights and Lime? Shipping for us in Asia would be better that way. :D

Offline ye_cole

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 19:12:36 »
Will you allow maxkey to sell it directly also like Miami nights and Lime? Shipping for us in Asia would be better that way. :D

Unfortunately, no. Sorry! I don't want to deal with drop shipping. Also, if anything goes wrong, I'd like to have it be my fault rather than the fault of another company. I apologize for the hassle (and somewhat longer wait).

Also, after seeing SA Lime's mold fixes (Kingnestea and Jchan, you're doing god's work), I changed the kit a little by removing most duplicate keys. Also, just to make a list, this set is compatible with the following layouts (let me know if I miss any): 40%, 60%, 65%, TKL, 75%, HHKB, 96 Key, Full Sized, and Leopold fc660c. Pricing should be lowered because of the kit fixes they're doing, but I'm still waiting on pricing. Due to the fixes they're doing, Maxkeys won't be taking any orders until October. I plan to have the GB finished around a week before they start taking orders; this is to be able to have the set be made as soon as possible.

Kit Render!

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 21:23:12 »
I'm talking directly to Maxkey too, and they told me that jchan indeed helped with some fixes but that most of it is their own initiative. Not to take away anything from jchan/kingnestea but people need to know that Maxkey isn't clueless or stubborn, and they want to be the best.

"haters are confused admirers"

Offline kingnestea

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 21:59:42 »
I'm talking directly to Maxkey too, and they told me that jchan indeed helped with some fixes but that most of it is their own initiative. Not to take away anything from jchan/kingnestea but people need to know that Maxkey isn't clueless or stubborn, and they want to be the best.

Indeed, they did surprise me when they told me that they are willing to do the fixes, it's just the cost because Maxkey isn't a one man business and they had different visions on that.

I'm glad that we worked something out.

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 22:03:26 »

Indeed, they did surprise me when they told me that they are willing to do the fixes, it's just the cost because Maxkey isn't a one man business and they had different visions on that.

I'm glad that we worked something out.
Yes, they're moving quickly and it's a good thing for everybody. I know some people will stick with SP and not buy anything else, but now we actually have a serious alternative for everybody else.

Sorry for derailing the thread.

"haters are confused admirers"

Offline kingnestea

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 22:07:58 »

Unfortunately, no. Sorry! I don't want to deal with drop shipping. Also, if anything goes wrong, I'd like to have it be my fault rather than the fault of another company. I apologize for the hassle (and somewhat longer wait).

Also, after seeing SA Lime's mold fixes (Kingnestea and Jchan, you're doing god's work), I changed the kit a little by removing most duplicate keys. Also, just to make a list, this set is compatible with the following layouts (let me know if I miss any): 40%, 60%, 65%, TKL, 75%, HHKB, 96 Key, Full Sized, and Leopold fc660c. Pricing should be lowered because of the kit fixes they're doing, but I'm still waiting on pricing. Due to the fixes they're doing, Maxkeys won't be taking any orders until October. I plan to have the GB finished around a week before they start taking orders; this is to be able to have the set be made as soon as possible.

Kit Render!

Show Image

Looking at the kit render, I think you should adjust your logic when working with Maxkey.
The best way to work with Maxkey is to use their basic layout and add keys for compatibility rather than starting from what you need.
That'd probably balance pricing and compatibility.
And will be more comfortable for them to do the pricing as well when you put all the extra keys you need beside the basic layout.

Offline ye_cole

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 23:41:27 »

Yeah, I didn't mean to insinuate that they were stubborn/clueless. They emailed me around the time when they told me that a kit update was coming, but they said it was only for esc, backspace, and shift. Didn't know they planned to do everything in one go. I'm quite exited.

Looking at the kit render, I think you should adjust your logic when working with Maxkey.
The best way to work with Maxkey is to use their basic layout and add keys for compatibility rather than starting from what you need.
That'd probably balance pricing and compatibility.
And will be more comfortable for them to do the pricing as well when you put all the extra keys you need beside the basic layout.

That's what I'm planning on doing when I ask them for a quote. Thank you for the advice, though.

Offline wylie

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 14 August 2017, 09:59:25 »
i agree with the color combination is perfect.

Offline ye_cole

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 14 August 2017, 19:38:55 »
Gonna have to anounce a delay real quick. Buy will start on october 1 and will go until oct 14. This is because maxkeys can't provide quotes until end of september. I apologize for the inconvenience!

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 15 August 2017, 19:35:35 »
Wow, that's quite a while to go without being able to provide quotes.

Maybe they're just busy enough that they won't bother until then?

Offline hhkbp2

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 16 August 2017, 07:36:57 »
Is it the same as the poll in https://www.massdrop.com/vote/Calm-Depths-SA-and-DSA ?

So the fancy Ergodox kit and Colevrak kit and other kits are removed?

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 16 August 2017, 07:46:54 »
Is it the same as the poll in https://www.massdrop.com/vote/Calm-Depths-SA-and-DSA ?

The Massdrop poll is connected to https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=88090.0 - unrelated to this IC as this IC is using MaxKeys as the manufacturer

Offline hhkbp2

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 16 August 2017, 08:04:46 »

The Massdrop poll is connected to https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=88090.0 - unrelated to this IC as this IC is using MaxKeys as the manufacturer

Aha, I see now. Thanks for the clarification.

Offline DreLLin

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 16 August 2017, 09:29:32 »
Would be so nice if Maxkey would offer ISO support. Does anyone know if they are planning to support it in the future?

Offline Koobaczech

• Don't forget to smile :)
    • Pearlboards
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 16 August 2017, 09:42:53 »
Great render Jan! :thumb:

Offline ye_cole

Re: [IC] Maxkey SA Calm Depths (huge update [pricing])
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 22 August 2017, 20:20:15 »
Updated!

Offline Hokabuki

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 22 August 2017, 20:22:43 »
Updated!
Does the $90 price require an MOQ?

Offline Atredl

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 22 August 2017, 20:26:20 »
Why are the extra Del, Pg Dn, and End in Row 2? Just want to make sure they don't get made in the wrong profile.

Offline ye_cole

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 22 August 2017, 23:16:00 »
Why are the extra Del, Pg Dn, and End in Row 2? Just want to make sure they don't get made in the wrong profile.

Sorry! Those keys are meant to be in R1, but I never got around to changing the KLE. I'll do that ASAP.

Does the $90 price require an MOQ?

« Last Edit: Sun, 10 September 2017, 22:58:34 by ye_cole »

Offline Petch

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 23 August 2017, 04:14:20 »
Very interested. And, unlike the GMK run, there's no UK keys for me to be mad about paying $50+ for  :D

Hopefully you can get a UK/EU proxy sorted - I recommend Candykeys if they'd be interested.

Offline lovetree

« Reply #41 on: Wed, 23 August 2017, 06:33:41 »

Kit Render!

Show Image

Is there only one 1u CTRL in bottom line?

Offline Petch

« Reply #42 on: Wed, 23 August 2017, 06:37:03 »
Not sure about using smaller font for the R2 backspace either. Possible abbreviate it (Bkspc) or run it across two lines? Idk.

SA oblivion has it split across 2 lines. I think that's better than using a smaller font and trying to cram it in
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 August 2017, 06:39:16 by Petch »

Offline KeLorean

« Reply #43 on: Wed, 23 August 2017, 06:57:00 »
<wondering if this will be the 1st SA set i throw down on>

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Click it OR Ticket!

Offline BearonicMan

« Reply #44 on: Wed, 23 August 2017, 08:06:56 »
I wasn't able to find this in the replies/info; is this 112343 or the original 123334 profile?

Offline zabuza1997

« Reply #45 on: Wed, 23 August 2017, 18:06:23 »
Price became so much more reasonable

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

Offline ye_cole

« Reply #46 on: Wed, 23 August 2017, 18:14:20 »
Changed MOQ for pricing.

120 at 200, 110 at 300, and 100 at 400. 90 at 500.

I wanted to be completely transparent, and I'll be updating the OG post to show the new points.
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 September 2017, 22:59:07 by ye_cole »

Offline Zubame

« Reply #47 on: Wed, 23 August 2017, 18:15:17 »
I wasn't able to find this in the replies/info; is this 112343 or the original 123334 profile?

It's 112343

Offline ye_cole

« Reply #48 on: Wed, 23 August 2017, 18:17:48 »
SA oblivion has it split across 2 lines. I think that's better than using a smaller font and trying to cram it in

You make a great point. I'm not digging how it isn't on one line, but it does look better that way. I'll change it.

Offline SteezeTrain

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 23 August 2017, 18:25:16 »
We may have better MOQ luck if it is on a storefront of some kind. For some reason I see that forum-only forms never hit high MOQ goals