Author Topic: [IC] Key 65  (Read 106480 times)

Offline SUB01

Re: [IC] Key 65 (old name NR65) | Update
« Reply #250 on: Sun, 18 August 2019, 04:01:04 »
I think the key logo is much better. The chinese symbol isn't even that clean with lots of strokes, and it isn't even a very famous or well known symbol.

Offline Kasterborous

• HEX Keyboards
« Reply #251 on: Sun, 18 August 2019, 04:32:29 »
100% in for this. Key logo is much cleaner than the old one. When is the estimated GB start date?

Offline bobdenard

« Reply #252 on: Sun, 18 August 2019, 04:44:50 »
I don’t get the backlash regarding the new logo, looks clean in my opinion, much better than the old one. Nice job!

Offline SoraNoTenshi

« Reply #253 on: Sun, 18 August 2019, 05:23:35 »
I'd definetly go for the Split Spacebar + Kanji Logo(鍵) FOR SURE!

Oh and welded Steel.
I am pretty sure most of the people here will like this board a lot!!!

Offline happycamper87

« Reply #254 on: Sun, 18 August 2019, 07:43:00 »
I have mixed feelings about the new logo. Looks just like the X-Men logo. Would be nice if the kanji/chinese character could also be used for the top right corner and not just the weight. Would definitely be in for that.

Offline moonux

« Reply #255 on: Sun, 18 August 2019, 09:25:40 »
To be honest, not a fan of the new logo. I know it's totally subjective, but for me, it doesn't convey a sense of sophistication or craftsmanship that I'd think the Fox brand would want to represent.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Offline xef

« Reply #256 on: Sun, 18 August 2019, 09:49:25 »
I think the new design is a big improvement and I will be in either way, but I get why people don't like this logo either.

I really like the suggestion of the kanji character on the blocker instead. But as someone else pointed out it has a lot of strokes and isn't that clean. If you were to move the character to the blocker, maybe a much simpler one could be used. I really like the ketsu kanji for "missing" or "lack of" and I think it's fitting for a blocker space. :p

Even the leaf from previous boards would look really nice too. Either way though I think it currently looks great as is and will be buying.

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #257 on: Sun, 18 August 2019, 10:25:32 »
I think the new design is a big improvement and I will be in either way, but I get why people don't like this logo either.

I really like the suggestion of the kanji character on the blocker instead. But as someone else pointed out it has a lot of strokes and isn't that clean. If you were to move the character to the blocker, maybe a much simpler one could be used. I really like the ketsu kanji for "missing" or "lack of" and I think it's fitting for a blocker space. :p

Show Image

Even the leaf from previous boards would look really nice too. Either way though I think it currently looks great as is and will be buying.

I think that would look infinitely better than the new Fox Lab logo on top of the case IMO. I mean the new logo isn't terrible (I personally don't like it, but respect the fact they do & want that to be their logo from now on), but I will always prefer branding that is done inconspicuously vs conspicuously.

Offline Dennyroxsox

• a.k.a. Lollipopsaurus
« Reply #258 on: Sun, 18 August 2019, 11:32:09 »
Guys - the new logo is amazing. I'm so excited for this GB.

Offline senter

• * Maker
« Reply #259 on: Sun, 18 August 2019, 14:31:54 »
Glad the logo has changed. Much prefer the kanji character on both the kb top and on the weight.

How about plate and PCB ISO Support?

iso support?

PCB wise, ISO layout is supported. I don't plan to add ISO support on the plates.
I can share the plate file if someone needs.

Offline senter

• * Maker
« Reply #260 on: Sun, 18 August 2019, 14:34:17 »
I prefer key logo on the back. Btw you said "A separate version without the top left logo will also be provided. A key will replace the Key. " Did u mean top right?

Sorry am new don't know how to do quote thing.

You're right. Thanks for catching the mistake. It's corrected now.

Offline vtachkov

« Reply #261 on: Sun, 18 August 2019, 18:59:05 »
Will there be an all brass version like you had for a leaf 60?

Offline Incarnius26

« Reply #262 on: Sun, 18 August 2019, 18:59:23 »
I like this new logo more than the NR but think that the Chinese character as the top right badge would be better. Maybe there could be a separate option for it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline vaughno

« Reply #263 on: Sun, 18 August 2019, 20:19:09 »
F

Really would have been sold if it just had something small like a number
Unikorn | Orion v3 | GSKT-00

Offline chakkii

« Reply #264 on: Sun, 18 August 2019, 22:39:39 »
Glad the logo has changed. Much prefer the kanji character on both the kb top and on the weight.

How about plate and PCB ISO Support?

iso support?

PCB wise, ISO layout is supported. I don't plan to add ISO support on the plates.
I can share the plate file if someone needs.

So ISO supported on PCB and not for plates? What plates should I use then? any recommendations or compatibility list? or does "any" standard 65 plate will work?

Offline Zeldris23

« Reply #265 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 01:15:42 »
im in for this, also would there ba a chance for a hot swap PCB?

Offline Howser

« Reply #266 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 03:50:51 »
if your logo doesn't stick out next to road signs i think there is room for improvement;

224745-0
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 August 2019, 04:00:43 by Howser »

Offline packleadercho

« Reply #267 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 03:51:00 »
I think I prefer the Chinese character over the key logo. I know people have noted that the multiple strokes make it look less streamlined but that's actually the main appeal for me. The numerous strokes makes the character more visually interesting imo.

The new key logo is nice no doubt but it's not really exciting to me since the key imagery is already being used by Keycult. Let me be clear: the logo design is certainly distinct enough from Keycult's and other keyboard companies are entitled to use key related logo. I'm fine with this being on the back of the board.

I'm only saying that I would've liked to see a logo that takes inspiration from anything else. I get that a key is a great candidate for a keyboard company's logo since it's a nod to the product and the image of a key is instantly recognizable; the f(x) reference is a nice touch too. With that said, it's like seeing an electronics company enter the market with an apple as its logo a year after Apple already got established. The design of this new company's apple logo would certainly be different enough from Apple's but consumers have already associated the image of an apple with the company who laid claim to it first.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Offline Solotov

« Reply #268 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 06:56:19 »
Actually, your logo is pretty good. Can’t you just use it directly instead of the key design?

Flex is love, flex is life.

Offline SoraNoTenshi

« Reply #269 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 07:43:19 »
I think I prefer the Chinese character over the key logo. I know people have noted that the multiple strokes make it look less streamlined but that's actually the main appeal for me. The numerous strokes makes the character more visually interesting imo.

The new key logo is nice no doubt but it's not really exciting to me since the key imagery is already being used by Keycult. Let me be clear: the logo design is certainly distinct enough from Keycult's and other keyboard companies are entitled to use key related logo. I'm fine with this being on the back of the board.

I'm only saying that I would've liked to see a logo that takes inspiration from anything else. I get that a key is a great candidate for a keyboard company's logo since it's a nod to the product and the image of a key is instantly recognizable; the f(x) reference is a nice touch too. With that said, it's like seeing an electronics company enter the market with an apple as its logo a year after Apple already got established. The design of this new company's apple logo would certainly be different enough from Apple's but consumers have already associated the image of an apple with the company who laid claim to it first.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I actually somewhat second this, i thought at first that this looks very similar to keycult - nonetheless i like the new logo, and would preferr the kanji, too!

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #270 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 08:14:54 »
Just stopping by once again state that the NR was actually a good logo.

Offline Zuology

• Why does this rabbit-hole have so many side-quests
« Reply #271 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 08:23:34 »
I am an OG Fox Labs owner, with an Orange TKL that I still hold dearly in my collection, though my tastes and preferences have changed.

I think the originality and simplicity of the synergy between the name and design language was the beauty in the Orange, Time, and Leaf. The name of the board was very clearly represented in the weight/accent design. Never was there a need to put the Fox name in logo or text on those.

The key logo puts the Fox name on the board where it doesn't need it, and previous boards didn't either. Other "brands" are too concerned with putting their name in a very obvious place and it makes the keyboard feel less premium, IMO. I have a lot of respect for senter/runninghack, but this direction is not in line with what I have come to expect from them.

Overall/In general, I like the F(x) logo. The fox-key logo looks unfinished and doesn't show much thought or design. The Kanji logo risks blending in with other designs that I've seen in the past, and comes off as a bit of an easy out.

Edit: Saw the plate cutouts logo version and actually much prefer this over the current key design. I shortened up the fangs on the F, and it doesn't look so disproportionate. Also, keeping it in this sideways orientation makes it less obvious and glaring that you are looking at a giant letter F. Also, the segments/cutouts are very reminiscent of the Orange and Leaf designs with negative space.
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 August 2019, 08:56:12 by Zuology »
More
75%: Scarlet Bandana (TBD) | Singa75 Polycarb (TBD) | SKB75 (TBD) | YMD75 (Box Navy) | XD84 (Outemu Ice) | Plum84 (BKE Redux Heavy)
TKL: ALF X1.1 SE (TBD) | LZ Iron White (TBD) | Fox Labs Orange (TBD) | Alu WASDv2 (Cherry Green) | MechkeyAlpha MA87 (Kailh Box Burnt Orange) | Archon RE:AL Superior EX (Nopre 65g)
Full+: Clueboard Double 1800 (Vint Clears) | IBM Model M | IBM Model F XT

Offline Hokabuki

« Reply #272 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 09:13:42 »
Actually, your logo is pretty good. Can’t you just use it directly instead of the key design?
I much prefer this logo as well. It’s clean, small, and gets the FOX brand front and center.

Offline Sissy

« Reply #273 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 09:49:07 »
I am an OG Fox Labs owner, with an Orange TKL that I still hold dearly in my collection, though my tastes and preferences have changed.

I think the originality and simplicity of the synergy between the name and design language was the beauty in the Orange, Time, and Leaf. The name of the board was very clearly represented in the weight/accent design. Never was there a need to put the Fox name in logo or text on those.

The key logo puts the Fox name on the board where it doesn't need it, and previous boards didn't either. Other "brands" are too concerned with putting their name in a very obvious place and it makes the keyboard feel less premium, IMO. I have a lot of respect for senter/runninghack, but this direction is not in line with what I have come to expect from them.

Overall/In general, I like the F(x) logo. The fox-key logo looks unfinished and doesn't show much thought or design. The Kanji logo risks blending in with other designs that I've seen in the past, and comes off as a bit of an easy out.

Edit: Saw the plate cutouts logo version and actually much prefer this over the current key design. I shortened up the fangs on the F, and it doesn't look so disproportionate. Also, keeping it in this sideways orientation makes it less obvious and glaring that you are looking at a giant letter F. Also, the segments/cutouts are very reminiscent of the Orange and Leaf designs with negative space.
I like the edit you did and prefer it sideways ,it's doesn't look like a male gender symbol or Xman logo.

Offline beekey

« Reply #274 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 10:04:03 »

This flipped vertically, would make it again f(x) and keeps the key symbol.

Offline biothermal

• Art
« Reply #275 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 10:15:54 »
it's doesn't look like a male gender symbol or Xman logo.
+1

Offline ghstgrl

• Are you comfy tho?
« Reply #276 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 10:33:20 »
I... actually don't like the new logo compared to the NR. I agree with some of the others that it looks like a male gender symbol/xmen symbol and flat out 'it doesn't stand out' stance. If this board isn't going to have a special theme like Clock, Orange, Leaf, I really think a nicer 'Key' or 'f(x)' symbol would be better. Or perhaps a stylized fox - the animal - logo? This current logo feels a lot like something one would whip up in Powerpoint using the shapes and text tools you have in Microsoft Office. imo compared with a lot of the other boards coming out the logo for this one is weak. I understand this isn't a super high end luxury board like Iron165 or the higher end Chimera 65 (the cannon logo is really awesome imo) or the 7V (whose design is nice but the layout is not what I'm looking for) but compared to previous Fox Labs works it's really underwhelming.
Space65 | Thera75 | NIZ TKL | Think6.5 v2 | Lily58
GMK Olivia | Comfy PBT | GMK Yuru
Upcoming:
AE Daedalus | GMK Pink on Navy | GMK Birch | KAT Refined

Offline R0N1N

« Reply #277 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 19:17:23 »
Is there going to be a green one?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Offline cronohack

« Reply #278 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 22:42:52 »
I suggest bringing back the leaf logo or no logo at all.

Offline orim23

« Reply #279 on: Tue, 20 August 2019, 01:08:31 »
I... actually don't like the new logo compared to the NR. I agree with some of the others that it looks like a male gender symbol/xmen symbol and flat out 'it doesn't stand out' stance. If this board isn't going to have a special theme like Clock, Orange, Leaf, I really think a nicer 'Key' or 'f(x)' symbol would be better. Or perhaps a stylized fox - the animal - logo? This current logo feels a lot like something one would whip up in Powerpoint using the shapes and text tools you have in Microsoft Office. imo compared with a lot of the other boards coming out the logo for this one is weak. I understand this isn't a super high end luxury board like Iron165 or the higher end Chimera 65 (the cannon logo is really awesome imo) or the 7V (whose design is nice but the layout is not what I'm looking for) but compared to previous Fox Labs works it's really underwhelming.
+1 this. I was hoping for an actual fox or a leaf.

Offline R0N1N

« Reply #280 on: Tue, 20 August 2019, 01:30:38 »
Logo reminds me of keycult.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Offline prototype26

« Reply #281 on: Tue, 20 August 2019, 02:37:08 »
Nothing about the new logo is even remotely similar to Keycult's logo except for the fact that they are both a key.

This one is way worse though. I suggest picking leaf or fox logo instead.

Offline xantiema

« Reply #282 on: Tue, 20 August 2019, 05:41:39 »
Just slap the resemblence of an animal on there - should fix it right up  :p

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #283 on: Tue, 20 August 2019, 08:18:17 »
Nothing about the new logo is even remotely similar to Keycult's logo except for the fact that they are both a key.

So they are nothing alike except they both look like the same thing (a key)...?! Umm...

Separately, I am not a huge fan of the new logo in any case (sorry!), but I actually don’t mind the one flipped on the side etc. the F(x) is better too, imho.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #284 on: Tue, 20 August 2019, 08:47:46 »
From hereon out, as the hobby grows to proportions unknown, it has been declared that no other brand or designer is to be able to design a logo that even remotely resembles a key because Keycult's logo is also a key.

Makes perfect sense.

Offline prototype26

« Reply #285 on: Tue, 20 August 2019, 11:53:55 »

So they are nothing alike except they both look like the same thing (a key)...?! Umm...

Separately, I am not a huge fan of the new logo in any case (sorry!), but I actually don’t mind the one flipped on the side etc. the F(x) is better too, imho.

They don't look like the same thing. I never said that but maybe I need to clarify. They are indeed the same object but design wise they are totally different.

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #286 on: Tue, 20 August 2019, 11:55:27 »
Loving the Key Logo! I think it looks super clean

Offline steezkeez

« Reply #287 on: Tue, 20 August 2019, 11:56:55 »
Key 65 brought to you by Comic SansTM

Offline otanishock

• One of the cool kids :>
  • ファーストラブ
« Reply #288 on: Tue, 20 August 2019, 12:19:18 »
I'm a die hard Keycult fan, but lol this looks nothing like Keycult's logo. Its cool if you don't like the design, but don't say its a copy/resemblance of Keycult's logo, because it is not...

Offline sevenseacat

« Reply #289 on: Tue, 20 August 2019, 21:55:01 »
So much drama over the logo...

Offline Kingjunguhn

« Reply #290 on: Tue, 20 August 2019, 22:16:36 »
Let's be honest most people in here are going to buy one even if it isn't the logo that they want

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=107845.0][/url

Offline Vireca

« Reply #291 on: Wed, 21 August 2019, 02:17:31 »
I like the Key lobo but its a but weird off centered. Forma the kanji/chinese logo, i dont like it. It dont mean anything forma me, just a random asian letters

Offline Kingjunguhn

« Reply #292 on: Wed, 21 August 2019, 02:19:00 »
I like the Key lobo but its a but weird off centered. Forma the kanji/chinese logo, i dont like it. It dont mean anything forma me, just a random asian letters
Don't let the weebs catch you saying that they might go haywire lol

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=107845.0][/url

Offline chakkii

« Reply #293 on: Wed, 21 August 2019, 10:15:29 »
logo is absolutely fine imo, I rather waiting for reply for the ISO plate support. Because PCB does support ISO but no plate? what plate should I use then or ISO only plateless?

Offline Zuology

« Reply #294 on: Wed, 21 August 2019, 10:57:39 »
logo is absolutely fine imo, I rather waiting for reply for the ISO plate support. Because PCB does support ISO but no plate? what plate should I use then or ISO only plateless?

Getting custom plates cut after the fact is not difficult at all, if the designer is willing to share plate files, or at least the stock dimensions.
More
75%: Scarlet Bandana (TBD) | Singa75 Polycarb (TBD) | SKB75 (TBD) | YMD75 (Box Navy) | XD84 (Outemu Ice) | Plum84 (BKE Redux Heavy)
TKL: ALF X1.1 SE (TBD) | LZ Iron White (TBD) | Fox Labs Orange (TBD) | Alu WASDv2 (Cherry Green) | MechkeyAlpha MA87 (Kailh Box Burnt Orange) | Archon RE:AL Superior EX (Nopre 65g)

Offline chakkii

« Reply #295 on: Wed, 21 August 2019, 11:22:51 »

Getting custom plates cut after the fact is not difficult at all, if the designer is willing to share plate files, or at least the stock dimensions.

I honestly have no clue where I can get custom plates done :P So I rather have it directly from the "vendor" / designer. do you have any suggestions?

Offline Zuology

« Reply #296 on: Wed, 21 August 2019, 11:27:34 »

I honestly have no clue where I can get custom plates done :P So I rather have it directly from the "vendor" / designer. do you have any suggestions?

There's a number of options available, depending on your budget and location in the world. Would advise creating another topic/post about this question, and fielding answers separately outside of this thread. Lasergist, Laserboost, Big Blue Saw, etc. I find that if enough people are interested in a custom plate, better to run a side group order to get quantities up for lower cost.
More

Offline loud_asian

« Reply #297 on: Wed, 21 August 2019, 11:59:50 »

I don't like your profile picture, it doesn't mean anything to me. It's just a random wolf.

Just because it holds no meaning to you does not mean that it has no value to the creator.
EM7 | Nunu | Virgo | Salamander | SS AEK64

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #298 on: Wed, 21 August 2019, 12:38:58 »

I don't like your profile picture, it doesn't mean anything to me. It's just a random wolf.

Just because it holds no meaning to you does not mean that it has no value to the creator.
Username checks out

Offline !Q

« Reply #299 on: Wed, 21 August 2019, 17:20:58 »
Would have genuinely loved it a lot if it was a nicely stylized f(x) but not a fan of the key logo :/

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk