Author Topic: HHKB slipping while in use  (Read 14054 times)

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
HHKB slipping while in use
« on: Mon, 25 July 2011, 13:51:46 »
does anyone else have the problem with their HHKB where when your typing it slips around a little on your desk? its getting rather annoying for me.

i think its because the keyboard is fairly light and there are only rubber grips on the bottom 2 feet.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 25 July 2011, 15:16:30 »
know of any good places to get rubber feet? all the local places didnt have anything grippy enough and all the feet were fairly large.

Offline Mazora

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 25 July 2011, 15:29:01 »
I use a xtrac pads ripper xxl. Stays put.
HHKB Pro 2: black case white keys
Filco Masjestouch v2 / MX-Reds / hard lending pads /Dye-sub keycaps
RF-87UW

Offline bigpook

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 25 July 2011, 15:38:47 »
a cheap solution that works great for me is to use cabinet liner. Most dollar stores have it and it is not expensive.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 25 July 2011, 15:55:59 »
I use a xtrac pads ripper xxl. Stays put.
id rather not cover my entire desk as i still use it as a desk (books, notebooks, writing, etc)
a cheap solution that works great for me is to use cabinet liner. Most dollar stores have it and it is not expensive.
ive thought about the cabinet liner thing but i plan to mve my keyboard between computers and places and id have to bring it with and i just think that rubber feet on the bottom would be easier.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 25 July 2011, 17:18:15 »
Quote from: ripster;386934
I used to industrial velco my flight sim throttle/joystick.

Just go to the hardware store for rubber feet choices.  What's the ACE Hardware of Germany?

Oh wait, you may not be the German dude.
nope not german. from US. our ACE went out of buisness years ago... But we do have FleetFarm. i only checked at Walmart when i had to get some for my Trackball and none  of those ended up working very well.

Offline Aznguyen316

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 26 July 2011, 13:59:38 »
OP, I've heard of that being an issue.  You can replace the feet?  I've heard of someone using that lining used for cabinets for dishes etc, the non-slip material, just replace that on the bottom lol.  Nice for a $275 keyboard.. =T I still want one.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 26 July 2011, 14:35:24 »
Quote from: Aznguyen316;387592
OP, I've heard of that being an issue.  You can replace the feet?  I've heard of someone using that lining used for cabinets for dishes etc, the non-slip material, just replace that on the bottom lol.  Nice for a $275 keyboard.. =T I still want one.
its a nice keyboard just received yesterday and couldnt be happier but it does need some more and better feet. ill hopefully be able to make a trip over to Fleet today to see what they have to offer.

Offline oddsratio

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 26 July 2011, 14:57:21 »
Oy, when I switched to Das from Filco, the one thing I missed was the rubber pads on the legs. I ordered some replacement feet from thekeyboardco and it was $11 w/shipping.

Of course, they don't fit the das feet because they don't have slots, so you have to cut along the edges to open up the pads (they're like thin cups). I folded them over the feet and applied some adhesive they work like a charm. I've tried in vain to find a cheaper source of rubber but couldn't. This was the closest I found.

Offline theferenc

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 26 July 2011, 15:14:48 »
Maybe it's because I don't use the feet, but mine never slides around on me. But then, the only pressure I put on it other than typing is a little bit of downward pressure right at the front, and that only occasionally.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 26 July 2011, 15:38:05 »
Quote from: theferenc;387634
Maybe it's because I don't use the feet, but mine never slides around on me. But then, the only pressure I put on it other than typing is a little bit of downward pressure right at the front, and that only occasionally.
yea there are 2 rubber grips on the bottom of the keyboard for some reason only one of mine actually grips... so my keyboard slowly turns to the right

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 26 July 2011, 15:40:09 »
Quote from: ripster;387638
You could always put lead in it.  Sig> Mods>Keyboard>Arnold.

Show Image
i havnt looked inside the HHKB Pro 2 bu there doesnt seem to be much room. plus i just got mine and would rather not void the warranty.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 26 July 2011, 15:50:23 »
Quote from: ripster;387652
Check if it's level with a pane of glass.

May have to Torque it a bit.
(Attachment Link) 22443[/ATTACH]

looks level to me. also it does it with the back feet are out or not.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 26 July 2011, 18:14:32 »
Quote from: ripster;387659
Are you near the North Pole - centrifugal force?  

Hah, I keed.

Dunno why it would spin clockwise.  I was disappointed toilets flush the same way in Australia.
well the right side foot grips and the left side foot doesnt

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 26 July 2011, 18:38:36 »
i ended up stopping at a downtown TrueValue hardware store and picked up some foam pads that ended up working great

Offline HairyTroll

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 27 July 2011, 18:36:59 »
Quote from: TheProfosist;387747
well the right side foot grips and the left side foot doesnt

I am experiencing the exact same issue on both my HHKB Pro 2, and Lite 2.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 27 July 2011, 18:39:07 »
Quote from: HairyTroll;388416
I am experiencing the exact same issue on both my HHKB Pro 2, and Lite 2.
do what i did. the keyboard doesnt move now

Offline skwan

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 28 July 2011, 11:03:36 »
Ya, hhkb tends to have that problem, but you can fix it by torquing it, even if it looks flat, just flex it a bit and it "solves" the problem.  I put it in quotes because the rubber feet is kinda weak even when the weight is evenly placed on them.  The feet are kinda stiff (probably suppose to last a long time) so even a slight amount of unevenness takes all the weight off the one of the feet. So if you don't want to need to flex ur keyboard every once in a while, you can fix that by replacing it with softer feet, so they grip even when the surface is not very even.  I find softer feet also absorb some sound , goes well with my spanking new type s!

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 08 August 2011, 06:09:16 »
Quote from: skwan;388752
Ya, hhkb tends to have that problem, but you can fix it by torquing it, even if it looks flat, just flex it a bit and it "solves" the problem.  I put it in quotes because the rubber feet is kinda weak even when the weight is evenly placed on them.  The feet are kinda stiff (probably suppose to last a long time) so even a slight amount of unevenness takes all the weight off the one of the feet. So if you don't want to need to flex ur keyboard every once in a while, you can fix that by replacing it with softer feet, so they grip even when the surface is not very even.  I find softer feet also absorb some sound , goes well with my spanking new type s!
id rather not have to torque my $300 keyboard...
the other problem that i had finding feet was finding ones that were thin enough to maintain the keyboards original profile.

Offline Aznguyen316

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 08 August 2011, 10:56:41 »
I'm going to run to Lowe's here a in little bit to pick up some Waxman "gripper pads" for my HHKB.  The slipping hasn't really bothered me since I move it around a lot on my desk, but I'd like to have the rubber feet there anyway. The look of these feet don't look terribly out of place I'm hoping.

Offline Aznguyen316

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 08 August 2011, 12:57:28 »
I did see some really intense velco pads at Lowes =) but that's a pretty good idea for joysticks lol.

Anyway those pads I linked were pretty huge and didn't feel too rubbery so I purchased some "bumpers" good for VCRs, lamps, computer equipment etc lol so hey, why not.

They work great, are low profile and don't allow the keyboard to move unless I really try.  They don't work when either level of legs are out however.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 08 August 2011, 13:49:25 »
Quote from: Aznguyen316;395208
I did see some really intense velco pads at Lowes =) but that's a pretty good idea for joysticks lol.

Anyway those pads I linked were pretty huge and didn't feel too rubbery so I purchased some "bumpers" good for VCRs, lamps, computer equipment etc lol so hey, why not.

They work great, are low profile and don't allow the keyboard to move unless I really try.  They don't work when either level of legs are out however.
yea i saw those also they look alot like what is used on my CST trackball. The ones i found labeled as bumpers seemed too firm and too thick to keep the same profile of the keyboard so i didnt end up getting them.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 19 October 2011, 16:11:30 »
problem solved if you need any feet pictured below for any of your peripherals let me know.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 30 October 2011, 07:26:58 »
Update: I have recently found and switched to Egrips and bought a roll as its much cheaper than the pre-cut stuff.

Offline bloodygood

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 30 October 2011, 08:59:50 »
Quote from: TheProfosist;442183
Update: I have recently found and switched to Egrips and bought a roll as its much cheaper than the pre-cut stuff.
Can you do a comparison as far a your opinion on the two that you tried. I am curious as to just how much more effective Egrips is compared to Surface Gard.
Based on the looks it seems like Egrips profile is too low and would still be likely to slip with even the tiniest bump of the hands. Looking forward to a review/comparison.
Current collection: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown, IBM Model M, Happy Hacking Keyboard Lite II, Dell AT101W.
Looking for: IBM Model M SpaceSaver, HHKB Topre keychain. >> Feedback Thread

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 31 October 2011, 09:01:46 »
All I have right now is what I put on my phone which is extremely grippy. I have ordered a roll and I will be putting it on my 2 rosewill boards including the flip up feet when it comes. I dont perceive any of the problems that you think might happen. It should easily out preform the Surface Guard, which is surprisingly good. I cant find anything that matches it in the big chain stores. Its also a much better deal to get the Egrips as a roll (10ft x 3/4in) is $20 but 6 strips of Surface Guard is $5.00.
« Last Edit: Mon, 31 October 2011, 12:00:20 by TheProfosist »

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 31 October 2011, 12:06:06 »
Paid a week as ago yesterday. Hopefully they will be here soon.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 07 November 2011, 23:52:53 »
I finally received my Egrips they apparently got back ordered and never informed me. I ended up putting some on both of my Rosewill keyboards. It is indeed to thin to be applied alone as it not far enough off the surface. The way I solved this was to just put the Egrips on top of the old feet. One other way to get around this would be to put Egrips on top of foam double sided tape to get the necessary thickness. So far Egrips has out preformed all of the grips that I have tried. If you need any pictures let me know.

Offline Creizai

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 09 November 2011, 16:36:57 »
Thanks to The Profosist, for the info I also bought some Egrips and its working pretty good.  Using the back risers makes it a little more difficult but I'm dealing with it.  I'm up for ideas to make it longer lasting.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 09 November 2011, 16:46:28 »
Quote from: Creizai;448783
Thanks to The Profosist, for the info I also bought some Egrips and its working pretty good.  Using the back risers makes it a little more difficult but I'm dealing with it.  I'm up for ideas to make it longer lasting.
Can you take pics of what you did I assume its on a HHKB. If you need me to post some pics of what I did I can. I have some on both my HHKB (and its wrist rest) and Rosewill's. For the HHKB and wrist rest I basically put it on top of the surface guard. If you don have feet already on you HHKB you could use some double stick tape I suggest 3M Outdoor Mounting Tape as even though it says permanent it comes up a lot better than the regular white foam stuff. I did also put it on the flip out feet with success it was a bit complex on the HHKB come pared to the Rosewill.
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 November 2011, 17:02:31 by TheProfosist »

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 09 November 2011, 16:51:26 »
Here is some pics of the Egrips:

Offline Philosophis

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 19 November 2011, 09:42:59 »
Quote from: TheProfosist;387651
yea there are 2 rubber grips on the bottom of the keyboard for some reason only one of mine actually grips... so my keyboard slowly turns to the right

Same here. Right side slips. I also have a bit of rocking from the diagonal of top-left to bottom-right.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 19 November 2011, 10:03:54 »
Quote from: Philosophis;455441
Same here. Right side slips. I also have a bit of rocking from the diagonal of top-left to bottom-right.
I didnt have the rocking but I do remember ripster mentioning that. I know its an expensive keyboard but you could torque it just a little bit to see if that helps with the rocking. Otherwise, I recommended that you pick up some Egrips. You will probably also need some 3m outdoor double stick mounting tape which despite what the package says is semi easily removable (easier in my book than the normal stuff). Cut the Egrips to the size you want then cut the double stick tabe to the size of the Egrips. Stick the tape on, remove the backing of the tape, then the backing of the Egrips, and stick the sticky side of the Egrips to the exposed double stick tape. If you need to know how to put it on the flip out feet let me know.

Offline Jack

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 21 November 2011, 19:32:09 »
When I had this problem, I cannibalized the rear feet from the Das I wasn't using anymore. Worked like a charm for me and I didn't mind the profile change (those feet are a bit thick).

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 05 December 2011, 08:57:24 »
Quote from: ripster;463932
Beware of these Egrips guys.  I never got them after paying long ago and they don't respond to my emails.

I'll have to call next.
I wonder what happened on the first order they took forever but I complained via email and they sent me a second one. Then i ordered again and it came withing the week. And yes I am using this stuff on just about everything.

Offline Broncosoozie

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 06 December 2011, 23:08:11 »
I had this same problem, and I went to Home Depot and asked if they had any sort of small rubber feet.  The only ones they had were really really tiny nipple type ones that didn't seem too good, and some slightly bigger cube-ish ones.  I got the cube-ish ones and put one on each corner.  The keyboard sits a little bit higher than it used to, but it's not too big of a deal since it doesn't change the profile of the keyboard, it just sits slightly higher on the desk.

I'm used to it now, but I like that thin strip idea, wish I'd have seen those.

Work: White HHKB Pro 2 w/ lettering
Home: White Filco tenkeyless MX Browns
Laptop: Black Filco tenkeyless MX Blacks

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 09 December 2011, 11:55:24 »
Quote from: Broncosoozie;465554
I had this same problem, and I went to Home Depot and asked if they had any sort of small rubber feet.  The only ones they had were really really tiny nipple type ones that didn't seem too good, and some slightly bigger cube-ish ones.  I got the cube-ish ones and put one on each corner.  The keyboard sits a little bit higher than it used to, but it's not too big of a deal since it doesn't change the profile of the keyboard, it just sits slightly higher on the desk.

I'm used to it now, but I like that thin strip idea, wish I'd have seen those.

Its doubtful that you would have seen it as Egrips are a commerical product and the only way to get them as a consumer directly is through their store.

Quote from: ripster;467085
I got it!!

Whew.  Long haul.  I'll write it up sometime.

Now about my $134.50 lebooooowwwwwsssskkkkkeeeee.......

Yes please tell me what you think ive been using the stuff on just about everything.

Offline jkercado

• Green XM clickclacker
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 09 December 2011, 20:30:40 »
Quote from: ripster;387638
You could always put lead in it.  Sig> Mods>Keyboard>Arnold.

Show Image

Ducky 1087XM Green | Unicomp Ultra Classic Black | IBM M4 | 1989 IBM Model M | Genius i200 | Cherry G84-4100 | Microsoft Arc Keyboard

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 09 December 2011, 20:32:49 »
Quote from: jkercado;467516
Show Image

Already done my rosewills now weight about 4lbs.

Offline jkercado

• Green XM clickclacker
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 09 December 2011, 20:38:59 »
The Captain's Log pic is perfect! My wife is looking at me like I lost my mind.

Ducky 1087XM Green | Unicomp Ultra Classic Black | IBM M4 | 1989 IBM Model M | Genius i200 | Cherry G84-4100 | Microsoft Arc Keyboard

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 20 December 2011, 14:26:22 »
I have found that if you dont apply Egrips on to a already existing grip the best was is to use the outdoor 3M double sided tape (the one with the red backing) then apply the Egrips on top of that. This is only if you using Egrips for feets if your using it for its intended purposed just the Egrips works great I use it on the bottom of both of my 3-star Handmade Leather Palm Rests and Phone.

Offline Creizai

« Reply #41 on: Tue, 20 December 2011, 21:47:47 »
TheProfosist helped me out with this problem thanks to this thread.  E-grips really do work good!