Author Topic: Considering a Kinesis Advantage Purchase...  (Read 23434 times)

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
Considering a Kinesis Advantage Purchase...
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 22 January 2012, 00:03:44 »
Quote from: Lanx;495162
i think input nirvana's avatar is a parrot (i don't remember i have avatars and sigs blocked).

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 38231[/ATTACH]

My little buddy. My eyes tear up just posting this, I miss him so much :(
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline Lanx

« Reply #51 on: Sun, 22 January 2012, 01:14:28 »
yea i'm going through something like that too dude, my dog of 10 years just recovered from cancer surgery but he's showing his age now, he can't even jump for cheese! (2 months after surgery), he can't even walk for more than 5 minutes (i used to take him out on 2 , 30min walks everyday), 2 days ago he just collapsed while out on a walk, i carried him home, vet said he's just tired and old.

Offline sordna

« Reply #52 on: Sun, 22 January 2012, 01:45:15 »
Quote from: erw;495914
So this was the magic step. I have mapped the pedal to a key before, but it would only get me into embedded mode, not out! Anyway I just tried to do it with a macro, but it doesn't work. I tried Progrm+Macro, AltGr++, Pedal, and Progrm+Macro (where AltGr++ is AltGr and plus, not the key following AltGr :-P ). Both pressing+releasing the pedal and pressing and holding the pedal result in the keypad LED flashing very briefly when triggering the macro.
I'd sure like to use part of a key as toggle switch, but I don't have a whole key to sacrifice :-/

I don't have spare keys either, so I decided I should add 4 keys in wire them to the footswitch leads. Hopefully Input Nirvana responds to my questions in his split-mod thread!
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline boli

« Reply #53 on: Sun, 22 January 2012, 02:29:10 »
Quote from: sordna;495610
I took a look at that thread and saw this: "You cannot move (remap) the keypad mode activation key"

Actually, it so happened that yesterday I discovered that you CAN map any key to keypad activation! It's in the manual. You need a footswitch (temporarily) to do the mapping. Basically, you enter remap mode, then you hit the footswitch (momentary keypad activation) then you hit the destination key you want to make a keypad toggle key! Unlike the footswitch, the new keypad key won't be momentary, it will be a toggle (works like the regular one however without the buzz sound) but still it's very welcome to be able to have it on any location! You need to repeat this mapping in the keypad layer as well, so you can toggle back to the regular layer with the same key.

Woah, good catch Sordna, cheers! I updated the original thread.
Keyboard: Kinesis Ergo Advantage (two LF editions with red Cherry switches, one regular with brown switches)
Keyboard layout: basically Colemak, with some remapping to end up with my custom Kinesis Advantage layout
Typing test profiles: typeracer.com / hi-games.net / keybr.com

Offline slueth

« Reply #54 on: Sun, 22 January 2012, 03:00:17 »
Someone made this on kickstarter.com I think it funded.  Pretty cool idea.

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #55 on: Sun, 22 January 2012, 04:52:45 »
Mod-Somebody-Should-Do:

There are empty spaces in the matrix of the Kinesis. If they could be used......

Somewhere, in my original Kinesis journal that is now missing, I had the matrix layout :(
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~