Author Topic: Interesting thing I've noticed about the Quiet Switches  (Read 94901 times)

Offline IAmTheGuy

Interesting thing I've noticed about the Quiet Switches
« on: Wed, 05 February 2014, 19:46:05 »
Depending on how the key is pressed, the tactile feel of the switch changes.  Pressing on top half of a key yields a very strong tactile feed back.  Pressing the bottom half the switch feels more linear. 

The loudness of key press also depends on where the key is pressed.  As one would expect, pressing the top of the key generate a louder sound than pressing the bottom.  This is true for BOTH the down stroke and the up stroke.  Try it.  The number row is the best place for this.  :)
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 February 2014, 19:50:01 by IAmTheGuy »

Offline SonOfSonOfSpock

Re: Interesting thing I've noticed about the Quiet Switches
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 23:30:27 »
I noticed this too. It's nowhere near a click for the louder sound, but definitely a difference.

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 23:32:32 »
I've noticed that too with my 1 quiet switch. AFAIK its an issue with alps to begin with, and the way matias designed the switch the problem got bigger (designed more wobble so the switch wouldn't jam or something)

its one of the issues thats keeping me away from matias and staying with MX.

Offline SonOfSonOfSpock

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 23:57:51 »
I sort of like wobble I feel like the key is moving a little with me instead making me hit it perfectly.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 18:07:33 »
This happens with all Alps clicky switches, at least a little bit. Depending on how you bend the click leaf, and how heavy the spring is, you can make the effect more or less noticeable.

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 08:35:30 »
I actually had never noticed this before. But maybe that is because, now that I pay attention to it, I press the keycaps in the center consistently, with the exception of the keys in the number row. But trying it out, I can confirm that I do really feel this difference. When just using the keyboard normally however, I do not feel an inconsistency in the way the keys feel (well, except the numeric keys now that I have been made aware of this  :D)

For some reason I really like your username OP XD
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline jeffsui

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 18:23:54 »
I just notice this too

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 17:51:06 »
Well this is due to the fact that the tactile leaf is only on the top half, and the switch stem wobbles a tiny bit so it gives it a tiny bit of room to "tilt" the switch up or down.

They've mentioned that if they make the tolerance too tight sometimes off strikes will "lock" the switch.  That's why they have to give it a tiny bit of room to wobble.

:thumb:

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 23 March 2015, 19:35:33 »
I find the same thing after reading this post and trying it on my own keyboard.
Though not a serious matter when typing (did not notice this problem until reading this post. So I kind of regret reading this post  :(), it still bugs me a little bit. In comparison, Cheery MX switches feel the same no matter how it is pressed. But no Cheery is as tactile as Matias.
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 March 2015, 19:43:57 by ctm »
TMK Alps64 w/ Matias Quiet Switches in KBP V60 case.
Infinity60 with SKCM Orange Switches w/ TMK.
CM Storm QRF w/ Frosty Flake controller, Cherry MX Blue Switches and TMK firmware.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.