Author Topic: DSS Profile Appreciation Thread  (Read 17882 times)

Offline NoPunIn10Did

• NoPunIn10Key
DSS Profile Appreciation Thread
« on: Mon, 29 July 2019, 08:44:50 »
Hello all,

I'm very new to this hobby, but I guess I've caught the bug now.  I just wanted to take a moment to sing the praises of DSS keycaps.  I love how the texture is nearly identical to that for DSA, but the the sculpting of the keys makes them so much more natural to type on.

Below is a side-shot of the caps on my Ergodox.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: DSS Profile Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 30 July 2019, 21:50:20 »
That's a pretty steep profile on the left there, the bottom row of the keyboard?

Imagine the horrors of a flipped space bar with that profile :eek:
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline NoPunIn10Did

• NoPunIn10Key
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 31 July 2019, 10:05:54 »
That's a pretty steep profile on the left there, the bottom row of the keyboard?

Imagine the horrors of a flipped space bar with that profile :eek:

The bottom row (red arrows) is on the left in that picture.  Here is an image of the whole board.

I'm using an Ergodox, so I don't use a standard space bar.  However, I do have it, and I can confirm that it follows a different profile than the other R4 keys.  You can see the details in the Family Spec PDF that PMK has posted.

Offline mountainblocks

• mountainblocks.com
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 31 July 2019, 13:10:10 »
DSS doesn't seem to have made the kind of splash in the keyboard community I would have expected from a new (or re-released) profile. I've seen a lot of sets for sale from people who tried it and didn't like it. I love it myself and use it on my work board every day. The angled bottom row just feels right to me with an angled case. It will be interesting to see how the first group buys run in DSS profile do.

Offline blighty

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 31 July 2019, 15:55:00 »
Out of all the profiles I've tried, I think DSS is toward the bottom.  The angled bottom row kind of kills it for me.  I blame MDA's rounded bottom row for spoiling me.
LZ ergo (MX silent red) | JER - A06 (MX silent black-red springs) | Duck Lightsaver V2 (MX red) | Duck Octagon V2 (gateron clear) (lifted pads) | Duck Orion V2 (gateron red) | TKC 1800 (gateron silent reds) | Mistel MD770 (MX red with GMK silencing clips) | Realforce R2TSLA-US4-IV | Realforce R2TLSA-US4-BK | TX 75 (gateron clear) | KBDFANS 75 ("vintage" MX blues) | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (MX red) | MS Surface Ergonomic | MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (MX black) | Phantom (Filco case) ("vintage" MX blacks | Spr1t 75% PCB x 2 (MX black and gateron clear) | Cherry G80-1865 (MX browns with black springs)

Offline NoPunIn10Did

• NoPunIn10Key
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 31 July 2019, 18:07:38 »
Out of all the profiles I've tried, I think DSS is toward the bottom.  The angled bottom row kind of kills it for me.  I blame MDA's rounded bottom row for spoiling me.

Interesting. I wonder if using all R3 (or R2) instead of R4 for a bottom row might be a better alternative. PMK currently sells an alternate bottom row for Otholinear sets that’s all done in R3. I wonder if that’s the reason.

Alternatively, one could mix profiles a bit in the same set. An all DSA bottom row wouldn’t look out of place, assuming it’s ABS double-shot. I guess it all comes down to however the kits are put together in group buys and whatnot.

Offline azzipa

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 03 March 2021, 10:57:28 »
i'm interested in trying DSS: i really like the feel of textured keys and the 8o bottom row doesn't scare me (would be about flat on a 6-7o board). SA, and especially DSA, is not for me, however.

and apologies for raising this thread from the dead. with GMK lead times stretching towards infinity i'm more open to trying something new.

« Last Edit: Wed, 03 March 2021, 10:59:35 by azzipa »

Offline Mikhail

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 21 April 2021, 22:01:06 »
DSS looks like DSA + DCS

Offline NoPunIn10Did

• NoPunIn10Key
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 22 April 2021, 08:32:03 »
DSS looks like DSA + DCS

That's not too far off.  It has the top surfaces of DSA keys, but they are positioned and angled with a very Cherry-like sculpt overall.  One significant difference is that the angling of the spacebars in DSS matches R3, while DCS spacebars match the much sharper R4.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 02 May 2021, 23:51:29 »
Yeah, I was just going to say, the way people are describing DSS, it sounds like DCS. [Same manufacturer, of course].

I have DCS, and it needs a higher angle than most modern keyboards for best functioning.

It's almost Cherry/OEM-like in the upper rows, but the bottom row, you will hit the bottom of keys. Needs the board angled higher.

[Clearly inspired by the old Cherry R5 or R0, the one with the steeper bottom-row.]

So if I bought DSS, it would probably only be good on the upcoming HMKB, since I think that one's pretty adjustable. I'm using a Cherry-profile spacebar on my DCS keyboard, because DCS spacebar is no-go at modern elevations.

Offline Mikhail

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 03 May 2021, 03:50:50 »
Yeah, I was just going to say, the way people are describing DSS, it sounds like DCS. [Same manufacturer, of course].

I have DCS, and it needs a higher angle than most modern keyboards for best functioning.

It's almost Cherry/OEM-like in the upper rows, but the bottom row, you will hit the bottom of keys. Needs the board angled higher.

[Clearly inspired by the old Cherry R5 or R0, the one with the steeper bottom-row.]

So if I bought DSS, it would probably only be good on the upcoming HMKB, since I think that one's pretty adjustable. I'm using a Cherry-profile spacebar on my DCS keyboard, because DCS spacebar is no-go at modern elevations.

I believe DCS should fit to usual angled keyboard. Historically it was a common version of keycaps that goes with modern low profile switches of 80s. One of this - nmb space invaders keycaps. Same sharp angle r4, same more scooped caps itself. Hhkb same.
So for me it’s cool feature and as it should be.

I mean usual angle is when r3 almost parallel to table. About 6 degrees.
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 May 2021, 04:02:23 by Mikhail »

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 03 May 2021, 09:05:00 »
Yes, DCS should make sense on something like a Filco Majestouch [where I have it right now].

It's just that the bottom-row really is that steep. I'm used to it, it's close to Cherry sets with the old-style bottom-row.

But that spacebar. The angle is too annoying, I hit the edge. I'm using a Cherry-profile spacebar instead. If DSS spacebar is like DCS, that could be a problem in my current arrangement.

Offline NoPunIn10Did

• NoPunIn10Key
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 03 May 2021, 11:06:24 »
Yes, DCS should make sense on something like a Filco Majestouch [where I have it right now].

It's just that the bottom-row really is that steep. I'm used to it, it's close to Cherry sets with the old-style bottom-row.

But that spacebar. The angle is too annoying, I hit the edge. I'm using a Cherry-profile spacebar instead. If DSS spacebar is like DCS, that could be a problem in my current arrangement.

From experience, the DSS spacebars are not like DCS. They’re angled to match R3.

Offline Cowmovie4

• hollow keyboard haver
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 10 May 2021, 00:31:29 »
How is DSS on a flat board? I've got a flat board that I cant really increase the typing angle of, and DSS looks pretty sweet, but I'm just concerned that that lower row angle would be too much. Is it that much more of a lower row angle than Cherry profile? Because I've found that's no problem on a 0 degree board.
u/TheFourthCow - formerly TheFourthCow on geekhack... until I locked myself out.

Designer of the Funky40 - IC TBD
Working on a new board! IC inbound?
https://i.imgur.com/5GVY8I5.jpg

Offline doxzax

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 15 May 2021, 17:06:11 »
 I am new to DSS with some active group buys, what should I look forward to with the DSS profile? what should I be aware of?

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 15 May 2021, 22:14:11 »
I am new to DSS with some active group buys, what should I look forward to with the DSS profile? what should I be aware of?
DSS Late Harvest  ;D
GB ends soon go quick

edit: I am big dum dum, but with dss, comfy, but that bottom row angle is a bit weird