Author Topic: How to make a keyboard case?  (Read 10618 times)

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
How to make a keyboard case?
« on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 06:42:05 »
If I custom make my own keyboard, could I simply go out and buy 500 cheapo rubberdome keyboards, throw away what is inside and then use the cases for a custom keyboard with Cherry MX switches?

If I had the PCB made with holes that lined up to match the holes in cheapo cases then would this idea work?
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline Findecanor

Re: How to make a keyboard case?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 10:15:50 »
It is not simple. It can require a lot of time and effort, depending on how you do your design and what old rubber dome keyboards you manage to find.
If your custom keyboard is a simple square (like a Poker), or a novel ergonomic design, then maybe it would be better just to build it from scratch.

In most rubber-dome keyboards, the barrel plate is integrated into the top half of the case, so you will have to spend some time cutting it off. Fortunately, it is usually at about the same height as a switch plate would be.
One big issue is that you would also have to find a way to mount your switch plate and PCB inside your keyboard.

You would have to do a lot of work in plastics, and you would need proper tools and materials. I would recommend a hacksaw (rough cutting), razor saw (fine cutting), scoring knife, metal ruler (for scoring), flat file, set of needle files (not rasps), pliers (mostly for snapping), sandpaper, acetone, spot putty and plastic cement.
It is also likely that you would need to paint the case. There are various threads about "plastic goo" (plastic + acetone), painting etc. Search the web for the "score and snap" method of cutting plastics. I highly recommend a proper scoring knife over any other knife -- they are easier to use for this and therefore safer.
You can find some of these supplies in better stores that sell plastic model kits.

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 10:42:54 »
It is not simple. It can require a lot of time and effort, depending on how you do your design and what old rubber dome keyboards you manage to find.
If your custom keyboard is a simple square (like a Poker), or a novel ergonomic design, then maybe it would be better just to build it from scratch.
I was thinking of my v1 custom keyboard in a plain old rectangular shape like any regular Rosewill, Filco, etc. keyboard.  The idea being that it would be the cheapest and it would be easy to have a case for it.

In most rubber-dome keyboards, the barrel plate is integrated into the top half of the case, so you will have to spend some time cutting it off. Fortunately, it is usually at about the same height as a switch plate would be.
One big issue is that you would also have to find a way to mount your switch plate and PCB inside your keyboard.

You would have to do a lot of work in plastics, and you would need proper tools and materials. I would recommend a hacksaw (rough cutting), razor saw (fine cutting), scoring knife, metal ruler (for scoring), flat file, set of needle files (not rasps), pliers (mostly for snapping), sandpaper, acetone, spot putty and plastic cement.
WOW!  It sounds like my idea is a 100% failure!

The idea was to have a cheap case to avoid all that complicated work.

Now you have me thinking to use a Rosewill case for a v1.

V2+ needs custom made case.

Thanx a lot!  You Swedonians are always so chock full of useful infoz  ;D
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 12:41:11 »
Well, you might get lucky..

I had originally planned to build the case for my Phantom out of an old Key Tronic KT1000 case (not the Ergoforce, the cheaper, flatter OEM variety). It does actually fit the layout of the Phantom quite well, except for being full-size, and would not need to cut away that much. However, when I got my Plate, I found that there was so much space around the keys that it would not look good, so I scrapped this idea. Instead I started modifying a case from a BTC keyboard, which turned out to be a bit more work.

Offline obra

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 14:14:01 »
I've had a lot of luck with my local lasercutting shop and a few sheets of clear acrylic. Looks gorgeous. Really solid. Really simple.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 17:06:06 »
Wow.

If I were going to the trouble to build a keyboard from parts, I would want (expect) to build an enclosure commiserate with the internals.

Make sure that the actual components work perfectly, then build a magnificent (wood or metal) box to lovingly enclose them.

Or, put it on a simple "footing" or "plinth" and let the whole thing shine, strictly on its own merits.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 22:22:10 »
I've had a lot of luck with my local lasercutting shop and a few sheets of clear acrylic. Looks gorgeous. Really solid. Really simple.
How much does it cost?

Offline Hubbert

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 20:59:30 »
How much does it cost?

This may be the winner in terms of prototyping.  I'm really excited, so all I can do is ask questions like a toddler :rolleyes:

Do you cut all ~6 sides (5 for a pure wedge), including the top which has holes for the keys, and then glue the parts together?

What files format do you send them?
What software do you use to generate the files?

What exact material (including thickness) did you use?
Is one side of "mirrored acrylic" conductive?  Would mirroring on the outside stand withstand the contact of daily use?

EDIT: This link says the mirrored surface is not conductive...so does tape stick to it?
http://support.ponoko.com/entries/22046741-Is-the-mirror-surface-on-the-acrylic-mirror-conductive-
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 February 2013, 21:14:44 by Hubbert »
Current: ThinkPad, Modified Model M, Customozed Unicomp on order.
Occasional: Acer (rubber with sharp edged keycaps)
Storage: Kinesis Advantage (Cherry brown), PC Concepts split keyboard (ALPS white)
Scorpius M10 (Cherry blue)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 21:02:38 »
Put em together w/ screws like litster's case! Borrowed this from my buddy SmallFry's wiki and obviously it's from Tsangan

Offline Acetrak

• ssk.ℜ
  • gnawm_
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 21:13:20 »
tsangan had to let go of this beauty, 'twas an epic sale