Author Topic: Small hint to build a durable key puller in 5-10 minutes  (Read 1162 times)

Offline kilogeek

• Nostalgy of a time when quality was a value
Small hint to build a durable key puller in 5-10 minutes
« on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 02:20:56 »
Maybe some have already posted this, but as I can't find any tool like this on my local e-bay and I had a spare tweezers, I though of modding it.

Most tweezers are made of foldable metal, they are cheap and can be found anywhere.

You need small pliers and small cutting pliers + sand paper :

51666-0

You then need to fold the tweezers at different points to get the perfect shape, able to go in between 2 keys without scratching plastic, and able to pull off a key with no pain, the best way is to use a crap keyboard to test your tool while shaping it. You may need to cut the curved end of tweezers so it can pass throught 2 keycaps.

Last, you will need sandpaper or a metal file so that your tool has no cutting edges and won't scratch platic.

Here is the result, it took me about 10 minutes and works like a charm, even on an ALPS keyboard where keycaps are really hard to remove :

51668-1

Hope this may help :)

If any of you knows how I can find RO-59 lube in France... found nothing yet, and can't afford to buy large quantity from U.S. with shipping fees and taxes :/  But it seems to be the best lube for switches or stabilizers. I found silicone oil made for model making mechanics on amazon, for sure it will lube, but for how long ?
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 January 2014, 02:24:19 by kilogeek »
"Ne pas subir" - Devise de Saint-Cyr.

Offline kilogeek

Re: Small hint to build a durable key puller in 5-10 minutes
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 02:45:18 »
Same thing could be done, with probably better results with a foldable thin metal strip, the thing is you need to find this kind of strip, maybe an empty can would do the job if you have tools to cut a strip in it...

Offline kilogeek

Re: Small hint to build a durable key puller in 5-10 minutes
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 03:19:50 »
So I tried and it's even better, although it's a fast made puller, the concept can be improved with a bit thicker metal and more polishing work, here is the prototype made out of  tuna fish can and some strong scotch tape :

51672-0

How to use it :

51674-1