Author Topic: Hello geekhack  (Read 2435 times)

Offline jackalope

• Now with 20% more soul.
Hello geekhack
« on: Sun, 05 October 2014, 13:52:39 »
I joined recently while doing research on switching to mechanical. Finaly ended up with a ducky shine 3 with mx browns , and am searching for a 60% board.   

Future buys coming soon
miami keyset
poker 2 with mx clears
model m
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 October 2014, 03:57:51 by jackalope »
eh o well

Offline jackalope

Re: Hello geekhack
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 05 October 2014, 15:21:20 »
Sorry about the triple post, this is my first forum.
eh o well

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 05 October 2014, 17:18:35 »
it;s alright, GH is having some multiple-post issues right now, it's not a normal thing.

Either way, welcome to Geekhack! I have a DS3 with blacks, and I really like it. My favorite light setting is aurora.

You should look at the Ducky Mini and KBP V60. They're my 2 favorite 60% boards. The miniLA is up there as well, if you like arrow keys.

GMK Miami is in the works, so get hype for that.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline jackalope

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 05 October 2014, 18:36:39 »
it;s alright, GH is having some multiple-post issues right now, it's not a normal thing.

Either way, welcome to Geekhack! I have a DS3 with blacks, and I really like it. My favorite light setting is aurora.

You should look at the Ducky Mini and KBP V60. They're my 2 favorite 60% boards. The miniLA is up there as well, if you like arrow keys.

GMK Miami is in the works, so get hype for that.

Thank you for the suggestions, the KBP V60 does look like a good choice as well and appears to be easier to find with clears.  I do really like the feel of the browns, except the actuation is a little light, so next will be clears then greens. Aurora mode is hypnotizing, I enjoy the reactive myself. On the topic of the miami  set I contacted Techkeys and the said they would have them in stock again, but have also been watching the thread pertaining to the GMK Miami. Now i just have to figure out the difference between the two or if their is one, lol.
eh o well

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 05 October 2014, 21:07:27 »
If you want miami info from the source, contact bunnylake on here via PM. He runs CTRL[ALT], the company that originally made the miami set. Him and i3oilermaker (the techkeys guy) are fairly friendly, so you'll see some CTRL[ALT] sets there every now and then.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 06 October 2014, 04:56:59 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

A nice shopping list you have :)

Btw there are rumours of a GMK Miami set ;)  Or you can just keep an eye out for an SP set, they do turn on in classifieds from time to time.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 06 October 2014, 05:02:14 »
Oops, looks like I replied to the wrong one :))

Welcome anyway!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline notsonerd

• Here for the secrets
  • Light My Fire
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 06 October 2014, 05:11:21 »
Welcome to GeekHack.

I second the suggestion for the KBP V60. I also second that browns are a bit light. It does come in clears, though.

The Leopold FC660M comes with clears and several different keycap/case color options as well as dedicated arrow keys. I joined for the clears and mint, side-printed PBT keycaps. Pretty affordable for clears.
KBParadise V60 with Cherry MX Browns | Corsair K60 with Cherry MX Reds

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 06 October 2014, 05:29:05 »
Can't go wrong with a 60%.  Welcome to the site.

As for the Miami sets...

Original Miami run was in DCS profile and manufactured by Signature Plastics (SP).  The Miami GB coming up is going to be in Cherry profile and it'll be made by GMK(?).  GMK sets are pretty spectacular, in my opinion, and many others on the forum also share the same opinion.  They're generally considered to be better quality and feel great to type on.  There's also plenty of information around on both the profiles and manufacturers if you just do some searching. :D

Or like Tactical said and just PM Bunz.  He'll answer all your questions and is a great guy.

Edit: Just remembered that I was thinking of the GMK Hyperfuse buy coming up...I'm not sure if the Miami GB coming up is actually going to be made by GMK.  It'll have Cherry legends, though.  My mistake.
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 October 2014, 17:21:55 by Sent »

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 06 October 2014, 07:29:51 »

Don't worry about it.  I've merged them for you. :thumb:

Anyway, welcome to GeekHack!

== == == == == ==

Welcome anyway!

Looks like you did now that it's all merged. :p

Offline jackalope

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 06 October 2014, 11:03:29 »
Welcome to GeekHack.

I second the suggestion for the KBP V60. I also second that browns are a bit light. It does come in clears, though.

The Leopold FC660M comes with clears and several different keycap/case color options as well as dedicated arrow keys. I joined for the clears and mint, side-printed PBT keycaps. Pretty affordable for clears.

The KBP V60 has me rethinking a project i was planning, looking to put some uv leds ( https://www.sparkfun.com/products/8662 ) on the pcb and grab a set of uv reactive keycaps, and the poker 2 seemed like a good fit for that project.  I have been glancing at the leopold FC660M but the location of the delete/insert keys kinda seems like a waste of space, yet still an interesting design.
eh o well

Offline jackalope

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 06 October 2014, 11:06:29 »
Can't go wrong with a 60%.  Welcome to the site.

As for the Miami sets...

Original Miami run was in DCS profile and manufactured by Signature Plastics (SP).  The GMK Miami GB coming up is going to be in Cherry profile and it'll be made by GMK.  GMK sets are pretty spectacular, in my opinion, and many others on the forum also share the same opinion.  They're generally considered to be better quality and feel great to type on.  There's also plenty of information around on both the profiles and manufacturers if you just do some searching. :D

Or like Tactical said and just PM Bunz.  He'll answer all your questions and is a great guy.

Thank you, that information helps alot.
eh o well

Offline jackalope

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 06 October 2014, 11:09:14 »

Don't worry about it.  I've merged them for you. :thumb:

Anyway, welcome to GeekHack!

== == == == == ==

Welcome anyway!

Looks like you did now that it's all merged. :p

Thank you, I couldn't figure out how to delete the duplicate posts.
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 October 2014, 12:44:32 by jackalope »
eh o well