Author Topic: Custom Acrylic Case/Plate(looking for help)  (Read 2307 times)

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
Custom Acrylic Case/Plate(looking for help)
« on: Thu, 14 March 2013, 17:52:08 »
So this is nothing more than me looking for some help, maybe giving people ideas as well.

I'm planning on doing a full clear style Phantom sometime this year. So I have a few question I would love to get some help with. Or one big question.

I don't know exactly where to start, and any help would be great.

Who has done these things? How much are one offs of cases/plates approx? Can I get some files that folks are using for aluminum cases/plates and tweak them slightly for acrylic? Anything else I should know?

Oh and I'm not doing a normal layout, going to do something odd and weird so I can't just WTB:acrylic clear case.

Any help and discussion would be much appreciated!

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
Re: Custom Acrylic Case/Plate(looking for help)
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 14 March 2013, 18:13:59 »
First thing you've gotta do is work out the mounting. If you're planning to do it Filco style then let me know and I'll give you the measurements that I've taken for the four stand offs.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 14 March 2013, 18:22:16 »
First thing you've gotta do is work out the mounting. If you're planning to do it Filco style then let me know and I'll give you the measurements that I've taken for the four stand offs.

Would probably be easiest to do it Filco style, just changing where switches are placed. As for the case, probably try to emulate a Kmac 2 case, thick and angled.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 14 March 2013, 18:32:22 »
 - Pick hardware and stick with it.
    - I'd do M3 bolts/nuts since that seems to be the standard with custom keyboards
    - This makes it super easy to assembly/disassembly with a single tool instead of needing a lot of them for different fasteners
 - Add tolerances and account for mistakes (nothing it machined or cut with absolute precision)
 - Use common drill sizes when making holes
 - Learn material properties (It it hard or easy to machine, can it be sanded, does it corrode when in contact with ____......)
 - Start a bill of materials
 - Contact manufactures and see if what you're designing can even be produced
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 16 March 2013, 01:36:12 »
You should look into getting huge blocks of PMMA or PC and have it milled like a metal case (Gotta have that frosted look). The other (more traditional) option is for a "layer cake" case design, but it's less awesome.

The_beast has an excellent chart, above. To answer some materials properties: most polymers can be sanded, but you may or may not want that depending on a number of factors (Surface roughness, opacity, etc). Since they aren't hard, I would imagine most polymers will be easy to machine, but one must keep in mind that sometimes they are brittle (PC for example) and can shatter during machining. It shouldn't corrode with any metal parts (#1 reason you can't have a steel/tungsten (or whatever) case is because it'll corrode because one material is more active).

One thing to consider: With a few exceptions, polymers are high resistivity. This means they make poor shielding for electronics. Most people are not worried about EMF messing up keystrokes or the controller, but you can consider grounding the plate and having some copper foil in the inside (also grounded) to ensure safe operation. This is perhaps overkill for most uses, but the keyboard will perform better inside a faraday cage.

There are several ways to achieve what you want aesthetically and structurally. I'm no architect, but if you want, say, some sort of angle, you can have feet, or a bar on the bottom (to be screwed on) or you can have the bottom be flat (easier to apply rubber friction) and have an internal "bar" that the upper standoffs are mounted to.

As far as construction methods go: you can bolt it together like most metal cases, or you can glue it or (in most cases) "weld" it together either chemically or with heat. There are merits and deficiencies to all methods. If you consider your needs/wants, you can pick what's best.

Lots of options out there! is 2013 "the year of the case" ? I'm excited to see how it turns out.