Author Topic: Alternative uses for keyboard switches...  (Read 2163 times)

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Alternative uses for keyboard switches...
« on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 21:09:32 »
Since we all love our switches, I'm curious what other people have used them for outside of keyboards?  After all, just about anything with a button can be moded to use one without much knowledge or skill.  Perhaps sharing will help us discover clever ways to make use of them!  Post pictures if you have them. :) Feel free to post ideas too!

I'll start...

I hate the little mushy buttons that are built into my truck's visor.  I had an old unused opener so decided to make an alternative.  Just a quick initial replacement test of the button and it works great! :)
18040-018042-118044-218046-318048-4

Next step is to find a place to mount the switch in my truck... and of course to find the proper key cap. :)
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 April 2013, 21:48:01 by aggiejy »

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
Re: Cherry MX Garage Opener Hack
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 21:11:58 »
^Awesome.  True keyboard geek you are aggie.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
Re: Cherry MX Garage Opener Hack
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 21:15:48 »
Ha! Its an MX revolution! All the switches shall be changed.

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
Re: Alternative uses for keyboard switches...
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 21:31:03 »
Awesome. You should make a case for that now  :)

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 21:34:24 »
Awesome. You should make a case for that now  :)

Hmm... might have to fire up the 3D printer! :)  I was kind of thinking about mounting it under the dash or something, but a less truck-destructive route sounds good too.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 21:35:15 »
I replaced my TV's power switch with a vandal switch, but an MX black with a K-profile power cap would be cool too.  I'll need to get a one-switch plate cut and anodized.

- Ron I samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 21:49:42 »
excellent keycap choice.

now to backlight that puppy :D

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 22:03:13 »
Now and then, I am tinkering on a set of a Clone Trooper armour (Star Wars). The armour should contain a comm pad on the right wrist, with a couple of buttons on it. Most clone costumers/cosplayers buy a simple plastic or rubber cast commpad. I have acquired a small keypad with buckling rubber sleeve switches that I intend to rebuild. At first I had planned to cut some tiny function keys from a used laptop keyboard, but it looks like the keypad would be easier to use since it is plastic and the keys are in two rows already.