Author Topic: Hello from the DMV!  (Read 1334 times)

Offline quarterlife

Hello from the DMV!
« on: Fri, 15 May 2020, 12:14:31 »
Hey everyone! Name is Ginny from the DMV area. Currently working as an RN informaticist, and hobby lies in photography. Always loved mech keyboards but never veered into it too deep until the quarantine happened. I've never owned one (I don't actually have a readily available desk have just been working off a laptop ): ) This started with youtube, into r/mk, and now here! Excited to be a part of this community (:

Offline Maledicted

Re: Hello from the DMV!
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 15 May 2020, 12:34:14 »
Hey everyone! Name is Ginny from the DMV area. Currently working as an RN informaticist, and hobby lies in photography. Always loved mech keyboards but never veered into it too deep until the quarantine happened. I've never owned one (I don't actually have a readily available desk have just been working off a laptop ): ) This started with youtube, into r/mk, and now here! Excited to be a part of this community (:

Hi Ginny. Welcome to Geekhack. By DMV area, I seriously wondered if you meant that you were posting this from within a DMV while waiting for some vehicle title/registration/license process to take its sweet time. It would seriously not surprise me if somebody did such a thing in their free time in a place like that. I imagine you mean a specific geographical region though.

No desk? No problem. These bad boys can function as their own lapdesk:

They also double as effective body armor and a blunt weapon. Heavy though, which also makes them good as boat anchors.

Jokes aside, I have placed a laptop to the side somewhere, like the armrest of a couch, and just had a keyboard that doesn't suck in my lap.

Have you tried any switches? Which are you interested in so far?

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 15 May 2020, 12:48:17 »
DMV has me flummoxed too, the abbreviated job title/description doesn't help narrow things down either :confused:

Welcome anyway, maybe one day you'll get a desk with a keyboard on it and then you can share some good pics.  Or if you have a photogenic pet there's a thread for them?  Please ignore the well intentioned necro warning...
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline quarterlife

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 15 May 2020, 13:34:50 »

Hi Ginny. Welcome to Geekhack. By DMV area, I seriously wondered if you meant that you were posting this from within a DMV while waiting for some vehicle title/registration/license process to take its sweet time. It would seriously not surprise me if somebody did such a thing in their free time in a place like that. I imagine you mean a specific geographical region though.

No desk? No problem. These bad boys can function as their own lapdesk:

Show Image

They also double as effective body armor and a blunt weapon. Heavy though, which also makes them good as boat anchors.

Jokes aside, I have placed a laptop to the side somewhere, like the armrest of a couch, and just had a keyboard that doesn't suck in my lap.

Have you tried any switches? Which are you interested in so far?

Yes, geographically (in the DC Metropolitan area). Good to know these keebs can function as a desk and weapon (;

The only switches I've tried are the cherry mx blues. I'm currently interested in the blue zilents v2 and holy pandas (purely based on YT though)
Will probably order a switch tester before committing

DMV has me flummoxed too, the abbreviated job title/description doesn't help narrow things down either :confused:

Welcome anyway, maybe one day you'll get a desk with a keyboard on it and then you can share some good pics.  Or if you have a photogenic pet there's a thread for them?  Please ignore the well intentioned necro warning...

Apologies! RN is for registered nurse, I put informatics behind so I don't get credit for being a frontliner lol
Yes I plan on it! Currently there's no space at home (parental units are hoarders lol), just waiting to move out and looking forward to getting the office set up (:
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 May 2020, 13:39:28 by quarterlife »

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 15 May 2020, 14:05:40 »
Yes, geographically (in the DC Metropolitan area). Good to know these keebs can function as a desk and weapon (;

Nice. I have never been to DC. I know I would love to see the monuments, historical locations, etc.

Some can, some can't. IBM's 4704 series are made of some pretty beefy Zinc, and the F107 is longer than you would normally expect. I have literally rested food on it, on my lap, because I'm an idiot.

The only switches I've tried are the cherry mx blues. I'm currently interested in the blue zilents v2 and holy pandas (purely based on YT though)
Will probably order a switch tester before committing

A switch tester is a good idea. If you find any that actually have all of the fancy boutique/expensive switches like Zilents, let me know. They're usually either broad, but mostly only covering basic commercial/OEM switches, or a very small and specific subset of switches. I do believe that Zeal has their own switch tester kit for something like $30. Mine is from KPrepublic: 130 switch tester. The price isn't bad for the sheer volume of different switches included.

Generally, tactile switches like that will have tactility that is quite a bit different from a clicky like MX blues. Usually more rounded and less sharp/crisp, also maybe a little less pronounced. I haven't gotten to try any fancy Zeal switches though myself. I'm into clickies.