Author Topic: [IC] PBTfans Tetris  (Read 6682 times)

Offline oay

[IC] PBTfans Tetris
« on: Mon, 11 March 2024, 19:29:29 »

"Tetris established itself as one of the greatest video games ever made."
                                                      ——Excerpt from the Tetris Wikipedia entry.

Hello, I'm Oay.
After many days, I'm glad to bring to you a new keycap design.
The inspiration for this came from a game ——
Tetris

When I was thinking of designing a set of retro-colored keycaps, it came to mind.
I'm pleased that it started with pixel blocks, and keycaps are also square, making everything serendipitously appropriate.

In the design, I wanted the keycaps to be retro and durable-looking.
I chose low-saturation beige and gray, accented with blue-green, giving the feel of old monitor screens with grayish-white subtitles.

To go further and satisfy my initial instinct, I redesigned the fonts and pixelated them.

Base kit

This set of keycaps took about half a year from conception to completion.
 During this time, I intermittently researched, added and deleted content, and it gradually became complete and rich.

I'm not sure if this design will be liked by the majority, as it contains too many of my personal aesthetic preferences.
I sincerely hope to receive your affirmation and suggestions.

(Design inspiration for novelties)

Renders

Targeting MOQ

Targeting Price

$65

Material

PBT

Production Method

Dye-sub

GB Schedule

TBD

Other
The keycap pictures above are rendered.
Due to the difference in different monitors, the color may be slightly different from the final product.
 I have tried my best to stay close to the color chart when rendering.

Please fill out the IC form to let me know your thoughts. I'd love to hear your thoughts and get your feedback.

Instagram   IC form    

Warmest regards

« Last Edit: Mon, 11 March 2024, 19:31:58 by oay »

Offline keepoto

Re: [IC] PBTfans Tetris
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 11 March 2024, 21:22:48 »
is tetris gray

Offline tactilesbad

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 12 March 2024, 04:05:56 »
not a fan of the manu but the project looks really nice

Offline PrizeOcelot5911

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 12 March 2024, 05:08:39 »
The price is very beautiful :)

Offline Bobatype

• Discord ID: BobaSweatandTears#1659
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 12 March 2024, 10:45:11 »
Just a heads up, you'll have to rename the keycap set, as I'm pretty sure the term 'Tetris' can't be used without commercial/licensing rights. As such I also suggest removing the text of 'Tetris' from the novelties too.
BTW the joystick ISO novelty is fire.
I suggest using alternative term such as 'Sys' instead of 'Sup' for the 1u OS key.

As someone who is a fan of the game, and also proposed a similar themed set (PBT Blocks) many years ago, I earnestly wish you the best of luck with this!

FYI, I locked that thread and as it was a circular discussion about whether the tetromino was under copyright, so I paused the project. I note that I did execute it in a much more abstract/controversial manner (inspired by GMK Dots and Geekark Triangle), and yeah I've since thought of revising/revamping it to be less 'weird', with pixel style text alphas/icon mods too (similar to PBT Rex), including making the full blocks modifiers as optional novelties, ; but yeah I never managed to gain the confidence to touch the idea again for now.
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 March 2024, 23:00:05 by Bobatype »

Offline oay

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 12 March 2024, 20:28:18 »
Just a heads up, you'll have to rename the keycap set, as I'm pretty sure the term 'Tetris' can't be used without commercial/licensing rights. As such I also suggest removing the text of 'Tetris' from the novelties too.
BTW the joystick ISO novelty is fire.
I suggest using alternative term such as 'Sys' instead of 'Sup' for the 1u OS key.

As someone who is a fan of the game, and also proposed a similar themed set (PBT Blocks) many years ago, I earnestly wish you the best of luck with this!

FYI, I locked that thread and as it was a circular discussion about whether the tetromino was under copyright, so I paused the project. I note that I did execute it in a much more abstract/controversial manner (inspired by GMK Dots and Geekark Triangle), and yeah I've since thought of revising/revamping it to be less 'weird', with pixel style text alphas/icon mods too (similar to PBT Rex), including making the full blocks modifiers as optional novelties, ; but yeah I never managed to gain the confidence to touch the idea again unless I got the official go ahead.
Thank you for your suggestions. Copyright issues do need to be taken seriously, and I will modify the name of this keycap set and related text in the novelties.
Additionally, 'Sys' does indeed better fit the theme, and I will consider changing it.

Offline treypop

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 12 March 2024, 21:26:24 »
I absulutly LOVE Tetris but is that an AI render? its very uncanny valley. Cheers!!

Offline Nevrest

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 15 March 2024, 05:26:16 »
This set looks awesome. If it hits the target price of $65 this is a must buy for me

Offline Kiririn

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 15 March 2024, 20:25:41 »
Love how the set looks. Though Tetriminos are trademarked by Tetris Holdings not under copyright as per the quoted copyright/trademark description I found from a Tetris stream description. As Bobatype has already stated, it will a bit thorny regarding novelties.

©SEGA  Tetris ® & © 1985~2024 Tetris Holding.  Tetris logos, Tetris theme song and Tetriminos are trademarks of Tetris Holding.  The Tetris trade dress is owned by Tetris Holding. Licensed to The Tetris Company.
Tetris Game Design by Alexey Pajitnov.

Offline Dmitri

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 16 March 2024, 09:44:06 »
65 :D
« Last Edit: Sat, 16 March 2024, 13:58:32 by Dmitri »

Offline jsntzjw

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 17 March 2024, 01:11:58 »
I really need R1 PgDn and End
emmmmmm……I don't want to write anything.

Offline Thumb Key

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 17 March 2024, 05:06:13 »
I love these renders, they bring back memories of my younger days.

Offline Cylent

• Formerly cylentshadows
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 17 March 2024, 06:31:17 »
I like the retro legends, second bobas that some changes will be named to the name of the set and font due to legal reasons. What language are the sublegends on the alt alphas kit? Also, pbtfans is doing dyesub now? I thought they only did doubleshot.

Offline Uguubox

• what's clackalackin'
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 18 March 2024, 10:02:50 »
Great concept for a set, it'd be sweet to see a GMK set designed by the community around the theme of Tetris - maybe something classy with tetris novelties, instead of something that looks incredibly cheap, tacky, and kinda like you would find it in a gamestop next to several Joker funkopops.

I'm sure such a community designed Tetris set, wouldn't use stolen AI art either, lmao who are you fooling with that stuff, just hilarious guys. I wonder how much money you planned to make based off renders that at the end of the day used stolen art - in reality, probably none, this won't pass IC.

Keyboards - Grey LZ GHv2, Pink Sho60, Navy/Silver F1-8X, NMB SI tactile, linear & clicky boards

Offline oay

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 19 March 2024, 00:57:08 »
I like the retro legends, second bobas that some changes will be named to the name of the set and font due to legal reasons. What language are the sublegends on the alt alphas kit? Also, pbtfans is doing dyesub now? I thought they only did doubleshot.
:) :) Thanks! The sublegends on the alt alphas kit is cyrillic. As far as I know, PBTfans can produce dyesub, and they already have projects like that on their website in the IC stage.

Offline oay

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 19 March 2024, 01:08:25 »
I really need R1 PgDn and End
Adding!

Offline Vulxan

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 23 March 2024, 17:13:07 »
Any chance of adding a 40S kit?