Author Topic: Brazilian Portuguese Cherry MX Keycaps for use on Ducky One 2?  (Read 2151 times)

Offline mattlach

Brazilian Portuguese Cherry MX Keycaps for use on Ducky One 2?
« on: Wed, 06 February 2019, 10:30:11 »
Hey all,

I recently set up my fiance with a white with white LED's Ducky One 2 with MX Brown switches.

She really likes the board, but for work (she is an interpreter and translator) she is increasingly needing to translate documents into Brazilian Portuguese.

Does anyone know where I might look for a nice set of white doubleshot (for backlighting use) set of keycaps for the Brazilian Portuguese keyboard layout (I don't know if the keyboard layout is different than Portuguese from Portugal, but the language settings in operating systems are pretty different, so it wouldn't surprise me)

Is it even possible to turn a US 104 key layout into a Portuguese layout, or do they need the ISO enter key and other things that won't work?

Any help in working towards this goal would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Matt
IBM Beamspring > IBM Model F > IBM Model M > All Cherry MX, Alps and Topre > Rubber Dome & Scissor Switches.

Offline seville57

Re: Brazilian Portuguese Cherry MX Keycaps for use on Ducky One 2?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 06 February 2019, 12:57:39 »
Hey all,

I recently set up my fiance with a white with white LED's Ducky One 2 with MX Brown switches.

She really likes the board, but for work (she is an interpreter and translator) she is increasingly needing to translate documents into Brazilian Portuguese.

Does anyone know where I might look for a nice set of white doubleshot (for backlighting use) set of keycaps for the Brazilian Portuguese keyboard layout (I don't know if the keyboard layout is different than Portuguese from Portugal, but the language settings in operating systems are pretty different, so it wouldn't surprise me)

Is it even possible to turn a US 104 key layout into a Portuguese layout, or do they need the ISO enter key and other things that won't work?

Any help in working towards this goal would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Matt

I have 2 ANSI Ducky One with in Win 7  ISO/Swedish layout (have Swedish Win 7), I don't have this swedish letters Ö, Å and Ä on the keycaps but they are on the same place as on the ISO/Swedish layout keyboard. The Ö and Ä is on right side of "L" and the Å is on the right side of "P" on my 2 ANSI keyboards. You can't use  ISO Enter and ISO Left Shift keycaps (they don't fit, wrong size) on a ANSI keyboard.

The white keyboard is my ANSI Ducky One RGB YOTG (108 keys) and the black is my ISO/swedish Ducky Shine 3 (109 keys).

All this text is writin (Ö, Ä and Å)  on my second ANSI Ducky One.
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 February 2019, 13:39:16 by seville57 »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 06 February 2019, 13:14:41 »
You may contact user Prelim who is from Portugal for some advice. It is pretty doubful a Portuguese double shot set with translucent legends is available. Your best bet is to use US ANSI International or other of the better known European languages like Swedish whose layout is closer to the Portuguese and some sets are available in OG Cherry double shot. Some symbols might be missing though, like º or ª. Personally, I have been using US Int or SW to write in SP, French and English with no issues at all. Godspeed.

Edit: I took a look at the Portuguese Alphabet and all the characters can be produced with either US Int or SW layouts:

àáâöñç are some of the special ones that I found, you should take a look at those layouts. The language settings can be set in windows control panel. The key caps for US Int are the same as any standard ANSI keyboard therefore US Int is the easiest to set up.
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 February 2019, 13:28:22 by ideus »

Offline mattlach

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 07 February 2019, 09:53:22 »
Thanks for all your help guys.

You may contact user Prelim who is from Portugal for some advice. It is pretty doubful a Portuguese double shot set with translucent legends is available. Your best bet is to use US ANSI International or other of the better known European languages like Swedish whose layout is closer to the Portuguese and some sets are available in OG Cherry double shot. Some symbols might be missing though, like º or ª. Personally, I have been using US Int or SW to write in SP, French and English with no issues at all. Godspeed.

Edit: I took a look at the Portuguese Alphabet and all the characters can be produced with either US Int or SW layouts:

àáâöñç are some of the special ones that I found, you should take a look at those layouts. The language settings can be set in windows control panel. The key caps for US Int are the same as any standard ANSI keyboard therefore US Int is the easiest to set up.

Hmm.

I assumed these boards were sold around the world with OEM keycaps for pretty much every layout that exists, just that I may have to import something.

I mean, Brazil is a country of over 200 million people.  I guess I assumed they would have their own Ducky authorized retailer selling Brazilian versions of the keyboards, just like Mechanicalkeyboards.com sells U.S. versions here.

Is this really not the case?   It's difficult to believe the keyboards don't come with default OEM layouts for every nation on earth.   This is 2019 after all...
IBM Beamspring > IBM Model F > IBM Model M > All Cherry MX, Alps and Topre > Rubber Dome & Scissor Switches.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 07 February 2019, 10:06:18 »
Thanks for all your help guys.

Hmm.

I assumed these boards were sold around the world with OEM keycaps for pretty much every layout that exists, just that I may have to import something.

I mean, Brazil is a country of over 200 million people.  I guess I assumed they would have their own Ducky authorized retailer selling Brazilian versions of the keyboards, just like Mechanicalkeyboards.com sells U.S. versions here.

Is this really not the case?   It's difficult to believe the keyboards don't come with default OEM layouts for every nation on earth.   This is 2019 after all...

I do not have information to answer your specific questions. However, the facts stand: The MK market is not really related with the size of a country, because most PC users are very happy with their rubber domes. Mechanical keyboards are not a commodity anymore, they are niche and therefore they are targeted to the relatively larger markets within the niche that is US, England and at some extend Germany. That is why other languages are not really available but maybe in OEM caps but not high end like GMK or even less OG Cherry.

Edit: Everything you wrote apply to rubber domes, not necessarily to Mech KB.
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 February 2019, 12:08:48 by ideus »