Author Topic: 2u on two switches?  (Read 3856 times)

Offline geekmonkey

2u on two switches?
« on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 08:00:15 »
I'm about to buy the pieces to build an ortholinear board (my first, both building & ortholinear), finalizing decisions and all. But the PCB I'm getting is all, well, linear. No possibility of having any keys off-center at all, it's designed 100% in straight rows of solely 1u spots. But I really want at the very least one 2u (or maybe 3u?) keycap for a space bar (or two). But in my experience, 2u caps come with the ...socket? in the middle where the switch is located off-center with a stabilizer, not made for fitting on top of two switches. Are there 2u & 3u keycaps that can fit properly over two & three switches? If so, please point me in the direction where I can find them? Thanks!

Offline _GMK_

• not affiliated with GMK
Re: 2u on two switches?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 08:19:09 »
Do a google search for POS Keycaps.
Probably they are also on

https://pimpmykeyboard.com/

You can change the springs of the switches to make the actuation lighter. For example you can look for "sprit" springs (ebay and his own site, and many more places).

Offline geekmonkey

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 08:27:40 »
Do a google search for POS Keycaps.

Aha, POS, thanks! That will definitely help my search. :)

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 08:35:59 »
If you don't mind crazy legends/colours I probably have a couple somewhere, international shipping from PMK will cost way more than the caps.

Edit:  Stopped being lazy and went for a look.  Colours are really bad but those are two yellow, dark grey, orange and red with doubleshot legends.  The white dot on the red is real not dust and there's a slight darkening in the O on the orange one as these are caps from a grab bag.

214181-0
« Last Edit: Sun, 03 March 2019, 08:53:31 by suicidal_orange »
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline geekmonkey

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 09:58:32 »
If you don't mind crazy legends/colours I probably have a couple somewhere, international shipping from PMK will cost way more than the caps.

Haha, I may take you up on it, depending what I'm able to find. Will let you know if need to resort to crazy caps. ;)

Offline Lanrefni

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 23:01:28 »
When spanning 2 switches with a 2u pos cap I've found it best to use a very light spring in one of the switches,otherwise they are very hard to press,I use a MX Black that I managed to tear a pin off when I desoldered it, and I cut the spring down by a third so it makes a great stabilizer,if you try it without a spring the slider tends to bind on both up and downstroke.

Also very important,make sure one the switches is KC_SPACE and the other KC_NULL,if you KC_SPACE both you will get 2 spaces on every keystroke.

Offline geekmonkey

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 01:10:29 »
When spanning 2 switches with a 2u pos cap I've found it best to use a very light spring in one of the switches,otherwise they are very hard to press,I use a MX Black that I managed to tear a pin off when I desoldered it, and I cut the spring down by a third so it makes a great stabilizer,if you try it without a spring the slider tends to bind on both up and downstroke.

Also very important,make sure one the switches is KC_SPACE and the other KC_NULL,if you KC_SPACE both you will get 2 spaces on every keystroke.

Makes sense, thanks for the tips! :)

Offline AdrianMan

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 23 March 2019, 15:08:09 »
If you did not find any in EU pm me, I have some blank DSA 2u's and also some funky ones :)
From this pic : https://imgur.com/bU9YWgF these are gone: https://imgur.com/xoka5BH

Also have these: https://imgur.com/SVz5aOk (Red Problem is gone)

Cheers