Author Topic: Interest Check - A better alternative to mechmarket.  (Read 1096 times)

Offline GoldenBoy

Interest Check - A better alternative to mechmarket.
« on: Sun, 11 April 2021, 20:20:33 »
Hey all! I've been lurking here for a hot minute and wanted to gauge thoughts on current mechanical keyboard marketplaces and check the interest in a better standalone alternative to r/mm.

Background: When I first got into keyboards a few years ago, I was a bit dismayed and frustrated at the available options to find different keycap sets or artisans for the low. Over the past few years, I was happy to see people taking stabs at this idea but unfortunately the execution has been lackluster in all of these cases, ultimately leading to dead sites.

Here are my thoughts:

The biggest problem is that MM is an awful browsing experience. Using Reddit to buy/sell items feels clunky and time-consuming. Having a consolidated, dedicated marketplace with better filtering, sorting, and searching functions would make it that much easier to find that specific item you’re looking for, or even just leisurely window shop.

Another consideration is pricing. As reselling grows in the community and it becomes more and more difficult to keep track of item price history, it would be useful for buyers to price compare live and sold listings to ensure they’re getting the best deal. Sellers would also know that buyers have access to this information and would sort of be forced to price their items reasonably, lest their items sit unsold.

Of course there are many other considerations, but I've been thinking about taking the leap and building something that everyone would love to use. To that end, I would love to hear your thoughts on this topic and discuss further. Thanks for tuning in!

Offline AuthenticDanger

Re: Interest Check - A better alternative to mechmarket.
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 11 April 2021, 20:22:05 »
It's been done a few times, but it's hard to make it stick without a lot of community buy-in. If you want a passion project, do it. You just need to make it worth people's time to go to yet another place to buy/sell/trade (we already have multiple sites and a few discords).
F Keys belong on the left.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 11 April 2021, 20:24:09 »
There's been a fair number of attempts previously. The upkeep needed for it is colossal, though, and some people wanted to rely on a "subscription" based service to keep the website up and such. It's not really a doable alternative when reddit is entirely free.

Offline GoldenBoy

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 11 April 2021, 20:41:44 »
It's been done a few times, but it's hard to make it stick without a lot of community buy-in. If you want a passion project, do it. You just need to make it worth people's time to go to yet another place to buy/sell/trade (we already have multiple sites and a few discords).

For sure, I think the platform would have to be such a huge step up from r/MM that the positives of switching would far outweigh staying with Reddit. In regard to this, I think a lot of previous attempts were either a) slow to incorporate community feedback and b)  inconsistent in user acquisition, which led to quick declines.