Author Topic: [Feedback] How to Make this Design Feasible?  (Read 14501 times)

Offline ScalesInSweaters

[Feedback] How to Make this Design Feasible?
« on: Mon, 29 August 2022, 15:41:19 »

I recently designed this set of KAM keycaps that I think is quite neat, and I'd like to try and turn it into a GB eventually. I think it's a fairly unique and appealing set, and I'd also really like to use it myself. However, there's one problem: I imagine it's going to be quite difficult and expensive to have manufactured, primarily because of the 6 total colors and 4 colors per cap (the mods also have a gradient, although it's tough to tell unless you fullscreen the image). Because of this, I'm trying to figure out how to make it more workable without compromising the design and its unique appeal. My first idea is to remove the middle color from the gradients on the legends, leaving only 4 total colors, but IMO that sort of compromises the vision of the set. I'm absolutely never going to remove the gradient altogether, it's essentially the core feature and the set would have very little character without it. Another idea would be to give all caps the same color scheme so only one type of dye sublimation is required (either normal, for all-magenta bases, or reverse, for all-blue bases). However, I'm not sure about this option either. Are there any other changes I could make to lower the manufacturing difficulty and cost?

Another question I'd like to ask: for a set like this, what's a good estimate for the out-of-pocket cost of getting it off the ground and into the GB stage? This is still a very young and tentative project and I haven't spent any money on it currently (I even made this render myself), but if I can feasibly afford it, I'm willing to put in the funds to make this work. If not, I can always come back to it later when I actually have the disposable income to put forth. I'm asking this with mostly surface-level knowledge of the GB process, so I apologize if this ends with me bailing out because I can't afford it.

Offline Slywanin

• Abdul Lutfi is my name.
Re: [Feedback] How to Make this Design Feasible?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 30 December 2022, 12:03:31 »
Yes. Do an interest check. Then ask for a quote from relevant manufacturers.

Offline ScalesInSweaters

Re: [Feedback] How to Make this Design Feasible?
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 30 December 2022, 21:15:06 »
Yes. Do an interest check. Then ask for a quote from relevant manufacturers.

You're sure? I figured I should be sure about the cost/feasibility element first. I'd hate to run an IC and then find out I won't be able to actually fund or organize it, since I hear that's considered bad etiquette in the keyboard community. But if you think it's alright, I suppose I could try an IC at some point soon.

Side note, I've done some thinking and I may end up removing the middle tone in the gradients. That should hopefully bring down the cost of production a bit by bringing the unique color count down to 4. I might use the four-tone version for the main cover (since it's the more realistic outcome) and include the 6-tone one as an "I'll try for this but no promises" alternative, perhaps.