Author Topic: Less Long DK9008G2 Pro Review  (Read 3422 times)

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
Less Long DK9008G2 Pro Review
« on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 18:47:19 »
So I wrote a longer review for folks who aren't necessarily mechanical literate over here at Icrontic. You can probably skip it if you care about keyboards, since I went into switch types and so on.

So anyhow, let's talk DK9008G2 Pro with folks who grok the minor details. I've had it for several weeks, logged a LOT of words, and so on.

Build Quality
I honestly can't find any major cause for complaint on the Ducky. I'm actually surprised by this - usually I can find SOMETHING that bothers the hell out of me. I won't lie, the flashing on the lock key top surfaces is definitely a screwup on Ducky's part. And I use scroll lock regularly, so it's doubly annoying. But the rest of the keyboard? No complaints. It's very solid, and it's holding up very well.

The Switches and Stabilizers
I'm on an MX Green here. The weight of the PBT keycaps definitely makes them trend lower than your typical Greens, enough for me to notice, but nowhere near the point of blues. Haven't had a single problem, no incidents of double keystrokes, keys never not registering. USB connect behavior is a bit odd, and always fairly slow, but other than that no issues.
The stabilizers take quite a while to break in, but they do break in, and once they do? They are pretty much as perfect as it gets. Zero complaints here. Factory lubrication is more than sufficient, there's no rattle and no shift issues.
I'm not going to go do stupid weighting "tests". Frankly, I don't need to. Straight up: the MX Greens are coming in at about 70-75cN effective - with the stabilizers fully transparent once broken in. It's as close to buckling spring weight as I've ever felt in a sprung leaf design. The spacebar also ends up feeling better than buckling spring, as it's missing the wire wobble.

The Keycaps
AND LO, the Destroyer of Keycaps did come forth and say unto Ducky, I DARE YOU. And Ducky did look at the Destroyer and did say CHALLENGE ACCEPT.
I mean seriously, even on full PBT M's, I usually see some wear by this point in time. I'm not gentle here. No shine, no wear, they don't even look dirty. I haven't changed anything on my end other than the dust cover when not in use. Texture is flawless on every single key, even spacebar. Color me downright astonished - Ducky just destroyed everyone else. They need to offer these separate. Really.
I STILL hate the narrower spacing of Cherry MX though. It makes my hands feel very cramped and it definitely aggravates my carpal tunnel. I also still have issues with over-reaching leading to the wrong key. Unfortunately the carpal tunnel aggravation also means my left hand frequently can't find the homing ridge - just can't feel it (or anything else.)

The Media Keys
Ducky. Whoever designed this layout? FIRE THEM. Seriously. Or at least give us a firmware option or SOMETHING so that we can swap Fn to the left Windows position if you're going to put the damn media keys there. This is absolutely the worst layout decision. Seriously. The whole POINT of these keys is so I don't need two hands to switch tracks or mute things. Instead it consistently feels like I need three. And I have octave+2 reach so I can only imagine how horrible it is for people with smaller hands.
Not to mention, the overall layout is just completely braindead. Mute on the far left, okay. But seriously? Play/Pause goes next to Next/Prev. You do not put STOP at F5 and PLAY at F4. Holy hell.

The Rest
Backlighting, I couldn't care less. I'm amazed at how clear the keycap lettering is, there's no excessive bleed through, and it looks great if that's your thing. It's not my thing though so I really don't care.
Keycap puller. I like it. It works great on keycaps. I don't use it on my Ducky. The thick PBTs are just that great. I have no reason to even consider a keycap swap.
USB routing is still bad, but it sits on my desk. I don't care. I route straight out the back. The cable could stand to be longer - I have to connect it to a hub because it's not even close to reaching my PC - but that's a minor gripe. I really like the velcro strap though - it's a nice touch, it's high quality, it doesn't fall apart. What more can one ask?
N-Key Rollover? Beats me. Never turned it on, never will. I don't need it. I've not hit limits with 6KRO so why would I deal with that headache?

The Overall Verdict
RootWyrm Likes It!
It's well known I'm one of the pickiest around here. I like my keyboards a very specific way. The Ducky DK9008G2 Pro is good enough that I've learned to live with it - and it's required minimal 'just getting over it'. Yes, I hate the media keys with the fury of a thousand suns. I would kill to be able to change that stupidity. But the rest of it? Is just fantastic.
I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this keyboard to anyone - take your pick of switches. Doesn't matter. If they're all even 80% as good as this one, that would still make them 80% better than QFR.
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Less Long DK9008G2 Pro Review
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 18:59:15 »
How long would you say before the stabilizers break-in?

Thanks for the write up!

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 22:22:18 »
How long would you say before the stabilizers break-in?

Thanks for the write up!

It's going to vary for everyone on how long it takes to break in the stabilizers. It's definitely plastic wear or lubrication wear - I won't guess which, I'm really not sure. In my case, it took about a month for frequently used stabilizers to break in (space, enter, Shift.) Depending on your typing patterns, it may take less or more time for individual stabilizers. I'm a 'high use' case though so chances are fairly good that I have the only fully broken in DK9008G2 Pro in the world right now. ;)

It's not hard to tell when they're properly broken in though - the Cherry stabilizers are absolutely transparent. Very slight audible difference, but keypress feel is all switch, no stab. Even broken in though, you're likely to feel a difference on some keys - albeit far less pronounced - depending on your striking point. I usually hit backspace with my right ring finger (give you some idea of my reach) so I'm basically fighting stabilizer motion, which you'll feel. There's also a slight difference with the numpad verticals, which I'm guessing is more to do with the vertical than not being broken in. You notice the difference rather than the stabilizer itself though.
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline lisaa

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 00:11:13 »
I would love to see how someone types on Cherry Reds after using Cherry Grays for a year.  I'd imagine damaged switches might occur
lisaa

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 16:43:08 »
I would love to see how someone types on Cherry Reds after using Cherry Grays for a year.  I'd imagine damaged switches might occur

Welcome to Geekhack!

Bit of a necro there ;) :p

I switch between blacks and greens mostly, and then every now and again end up using my KeyCool 87 with reds.  It really does feel like I hammer the reds too much, I can only imagine what would happen switching from grays to reds :eek:
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ