Author Topic: Linear Code Keyboard (Vintage MX Black 62G Gold Korean Springs)  (Read 2934 times)

Offline czarek

• Keep the momentum going!
    • FalbaTech
Linear Code Keyboard (Vintage MX Black 62G Gold Korean Springs)
« on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 11:29:42 »
As I mentioned before in couple threards on this forum, due to my recent misadventure with RSI I had to switch my Topre 55g and Model M for something else.
First I dug out my Filco with MX Blues but as nice as they were I don't feel fluent with those switches. Then I got Filco with MX Browns but it just made me sure I just hate tactile MX switches, so I modded it to Gateron black switches and used it for quite a while. It was mostly fine but it felt dirty to to use a clone and really like it (and I honestly did).
I was lurking for Code Keyboard for a while but I really wanted it with either MX Blue or Linear. Unfortunately they don't make them linear so I ordered it with MX Blues, just because I don't like tactile MX and Greens are too heavy for my hurting fingers.

Shipping and customs were usually expensive but surprisingly quick - FedEx economy shipping took a week from California to Poland.
Unfortunately MX Blues used in this keyboard are horrible. They sound muffled, sound weird, are very inconsistent and to me - unusable. I'd rather use keyboard in my MacBook than this thing. Really that bad. Please have a look at a video comparing it to my Filco:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4-2eGc1w94mbG9DUGdBa1FjRHc/view?usp=sharing
You can see it's nothing like it. I tried swapping keycaps for Filcos, PBTs, original Cherry dye subs and double shots. All sound and feel bad.

Happily WASD agreed that I can return the keyboard and they even offered me money to compensate import duties I paid which is very generous and won't be forgotten. But I don't want to return this keyboard. Those switches are the only fault in this keyboard in my eyes.
I really love how it looks. I know the case is seen as lower quality than Filco and to be honest it feels a bit more flimsy (and is b!tch to open), but I don't care. I like the way it looks, doesn't have any visible branding (yes, Filco branding bothers me), the feet are much better (honestly, they're even better than on Realforce!) and I love the cable routing channels (also better than Topre). Of course white backlighting looks stunning and yes ABS keycaps may bother some people. I don't care though, I actually like ABS even when they become shiny (too bad I don't like SA profile, round 5 keycaps look awesome on my ErgoDox, but that profile...). And yes, my Topre keycaps are shiny too, and after only about 2 years of use (I still think they're best in business :D).
Apart from that there is nothing much to say about the construction of the keyboard. It's very decent, that's all.

So obviously, thank you WASD, but I'll keep the keyboard. Just not with those switches. I was seriously considering putting black gaterons in this one too, but I found out I have almost whole G80-2500 of vintage blacks :D Such a win, this keyboard was purchased as NIB (in original packaging with styrofoams etc). It's ISO and Polish typewriter layout so totally not my thing so it was only for parts.
I like stock vintage blacks a lot, but due to the forementioned RSI I wanted something lighter. I also had some Korean springs laying around so I went with 62G ones (which are a hair heavier than MX Reds) for everything apart from space bar, which I went with 68G (with vintage grey stem obviously).
Of course springs were lubed before installing in switches as without lube new springs feel nasty.
The keyboard turned out fantastic. Having heavier switch for space bar is something which everyone should consider (all original Cherry keyboards had heavier switches there, and so do Topre boards).
And of course typing on ultralight and butter smooth linear switch is fantastic. It's like much more refined MX Red switch in fact.

I really don't understand why WASD doesn't offer Code with linear switches. Especially reds, are not only good for gaming. I have a lot of developer friends who are using reds for working all day. Think about it. In our work (coding) we type maybe 50-60% of a time, all other times is going through keyboard shortcuts (modifiers + Fkeys) or in vim/terminal bashing keys (arrows or hjkl repeatedly). For this sort of use, linears are fantastic, especially once you learn to do that without bottoming out (your fingers learn the force required to activate, they don't need a bump, increase in force underneath is enough, once you learn). I don't like stock reds personally (too scratchy, especially the new ones).
Also because of those experiences with MX Blues, maybe WASD should consider using clones instead? Having blue gaterons instead of blue cherries and black/red gaterons as a linear option would not hurt!

Oh and obviously a shot of the keyboard with a DeathAdder on a side:
114670-0
« Last Edit: Sun, 25 October 2015, 03:52:16 by czarek »
My little ErgoDox / GH60 factory: http://falbatech.pl

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
Re: Linear Code Keyboard (Vintage MX Black 62G Gold Korean Springs)
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 12:31:49 »
Nice review! 62g Vintage blacks seem to be a popular option for those high end custom boards, but it's nice to see them on a regular board like the CODE.

I too am curious as to why there isn't a linear CODE. I would really like to see one with Gateron reds, which I believe are what MX Reds should have been.

P.S. - might want to go back and edit your post and break up some of those paragraphs, had to plow through the wall of text :P

Offline crazystu

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 16:51:52 »
I recently picked up a Turtle Beach Impact 500 keyboard (similar to a re-branded Filco, don't quote me on that though) for a great price, and it has the same issue with terribly mushy and inconsistent Cherry MX Blues. Maybe Costar (who make both the Code and Turtle Beach) has some bad quality MX Blues?
Thanks for your review, it's convincing me I should open up my keyboard and put in some black Gaterons. I agree a linear CODE would be great.

Offline czarek

• FalbaTech
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 05:27:09 »
And I agree that black gaterons are awesome and worth trying :)

Offline czarek

• FalbaTech
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 10:01:14 »
Hmmm just to let you know I'm now officially faster (while maintaining 100% accuracy) on those 62G vintage blacks than even on Topre, but without any strain on fingers :)